The Rune Goldberg Machine

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Signature
RSN: Signature

The Rune Goldberg Machine

Post by Signature » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Rune Goldberg Machine

For daily rune combos, "Vis Wax FC" is a great FC to find them out, and they put the names of the runes in their FC title, so it is very quick to find out. I can't keep up with it every day as I'm more busy than usual.

The Rune Goldberg Machine is a daily D&D located in the Runecrafting Guild, located on top of the Wizard's Tower. The best teleport method to get there is the Wicked Hood teleport, which will place you right beside the guild portal. You must have 50 Runecrafting to enter.

Inside the Runecrafting guild, interact with the machine to get the following interface:

The objective of this D&D is to put different kinds of runes in each of the 3 slots, and combine these runes to create between 1 and 100 Vis Wax (The amount gets larger the better your combination of runes, which resets daily). The runes for the most part are random, however:

- Each day, the rune required for slot 1 is the same for every player
- Each day, the rune required for slot 2 is 1 of 3 different runes, the choice of 3 being the same for every player
- Each day, the rune required for slot 3 is random for every player

This means you can find help from other players to find out the combinations required.

For instance, on release day, the following runes are required:

Slot 1 - Fire Runes
Slot 2 - Random between Air, Law, and Chaos Runes
Slot 3 - Random for every player

Slot 1 - Accounts for 30% of the total Vis Wax (30 Vis Wax for the correct rune in this slot)
Slot 2 - Accounts for 30% of the total Vis Wax (30 Vis Wax for the correct rune in this slot)
Slot 3 - Accounts for 40% of the total Vis Wax (40 Vis Wax for the correct rune in this slot)

On the left of each slot, you will see a colored circle, which will be either red, orange, or green, which will only appear once you have EACH SLOT with a rune entered:

Green - This is the best rune for this slot
Orange - This rune has at least 50% of the Vis Wax value for this slot
Red - This rune has under 50% of the Vis Wax value for this slot.

Each rune will have a "Base Cost" which will be how many runes of that type you will lose upon maxing Vis Wax with your current input. The "+xxx" is how many more runes on top of the base cost you will lose. This amount will increase for every time you attempt to change your combination, up to a maximum of 100 tries per day, so it is best to settle for a decent amount instead of going until you get 100 Wax.

The following are the base costs for each rune:

Vis Wax

You can make up to 100 Vis Wax per day, and redeem it for the following rewards:

10 Wax - Reroll a daily challenge to a new one of the same skill, or a new skill if desired
20 Wax - Extend your current daily challenge to require double the amount, but also receive double the exp reward (no extra key or raffle ticket is obtained via extended challenge)
20 Wax - Extend your daily divine resource gather limit by 50%
40 Wax - Extend your daily divine resource gather limit by 100%
Random Wax - Extend your aura timer by 50% or 100% based on the following Wax costs:

Unknown Wax - Reset your Wisdom or any tier Jack of Trades aura to use a second time

Vis Wax is also tradeable, so you can decide to sell the wax you gain, or buy more to obtain more rewards. Rewards can only be claimed once per day, but can claim MULTIPLE different rewards each day
Last edited by Signature on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:17 am, edited 6 times in total.

syfyqueen
RSN: Syfyqueen

Re: The Rune Goldberg Machine - With Daily Rune Combos

Post by syfyqueen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Yeehaw - makes me glad I picked up runes during slay tasks. I also get 150 free pure ess a day from Wiz Cromperty in Ardy. There were at least 70 npcs listed that have had their rune drops reduced or completely removed! There's probably more...... :-P
ImageImage

Signature
RSN: Signature

Post by Signature » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:11 pm

Funny enough, they said the did not touch Barrows, which brings a giant amount of Mind / Chaos / Death / Blood into the game.

Milly
RSN: Milly

Post by Milly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:49 pm

The aura resets can be used once per cooldown period rather than once a day. And the reset will apply to the next time you use the aura. Eg. If my Five Finger Discount Aura is on cooldown I can extend it, and the next time it will last for 2 hours instead of one but the cooldown afterwards will still be 3 hours. And then I can apply another extension to it for the next time I use it then. At least I think this is how it works, I didn't actually use my Vis Wax for aura extension.

And the cost for resetting JOT is 40 wax.. And that can only be used once a day!

Also I was wondering about the coloured lights - does orange mean "close" and if so, how do they define close, would it be like elemental runes are a type and all close to one another, combat runes are all close etc? Or is it just to tell you that your result is good or not good... :S

The base amounts are listed on the RS Wiki:
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Rune_Goldberg_Machine

So it would seem the best strategy would be to start with the most expensive (GP) choice and work your way down?

syfyqueen
RSN: Syfyqueen

Post by syfyqueen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:11 pm

The info I've seen so far only says Green - good, Orange - close, Red - bad. No clue if they've categorized the runes. I tried to reset my Dung task yesterday but it didn't work. I had completed the task & turned it in. I have no clue if I'm supposed to reset before I turn it in or before I do the task or if the Dung task can be reset at all. It would be nice if for once they'd make a step-by-step guide when they release new stuff. :(
ImageImage

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:49 am

sounds complicated; it makes the wicked robes interesting again.