Merching/Flipping Guide [Text-based]

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Rocky
RSN: Magerockyv2

Merching/Flipping Guide [Text-based]

Post by Rocky » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Merching/Flipping Guide
Basic Flipping
According to many, this is the best/easiest & quickest way of making money.
The main idea of (basic) flipping is to buy and sell items as quick as possible.. With decent margins!
Meaning you buy items in a couple of minutes, for a few GP above low price.. And sell only a couple of minutes later for a few GP under high price. Some items might take a little longer.. (I.e. Consumables will always be faster than barely used weapons/armour)
If it takes too long for something to buy/sell.. Check the high & low prices again.. To make sure your prices are only slightly off..

You should always bare in mind; Knowledge is power.
So make sure you are informed with the prices of the items you want to flip, and keep a personal log of all prices/items.
With this log you can easily save quite some information of each item. Which can be useful for a long time.

To start flipping you will first need to find a item you want to flip. (When flipping for the first time it is always advised to flip low value with low margins first, such as runes and or cooked food. As some consumables are being used a lot throughout Runescape, this also means that they are being bought and sold a lot!)

For this guide we will take a Mud Rune as example.

Look it up at Grand Exchange for its market Price

Item name            Market Price     High Price     Low Price     Margin     Limit     Date
Mud Rune                353

Buy one for about 200% of its Market price (With Mud Rune it would be around 700) and see for how much you have bought it.
In this case it bought for 381, which is your high price.

Item name            Market Price     High Price     Low Price     Margin     Limit     Date
Mud Rune               353                  381

Sell it for 1 gp or as low as you can. And see for how much it sold.
In this case it sold for 335, which is your low price.

Mud Rune                353                    381               335

Now calculate your margin. (High price - Low price)
In this case our margin is 46

Item name            Market Price     High Price    Low Price     Margin      Limit     Date
Mud Rune                353                    381                335              46         25.000    07-01-2012(mm/dd/yyyy)

Now it is your own choice if you would want to add the limit (Maximum amount you can buy off Grand Exchange every 4 hours) and/or the date.
Personally I would suggest entering the date too, as your older logs may come handy once again.

Now you have the information, its time to get to work.
Buy some Mud Runes for 1 (or a few) GP above low price, and sell them for 1 (or a few) GP under high price.
This can be done with a lot of items. Low value, mid-value, high value, extreme value.. Just make sure you have the right information.
You can also try out different items, such as Prayer potions(4), Swordfish, Sharks, Nature runes.. And so much more!
Just try out a few, and see your cash increasing in no-time!

(Overnight) Merching & Use of Graphical Chart
Flipping is (one of) the quickest way of making money.. But that means being active at G.E..
Standing still on one spot, talking to the same Clerk over and over again...
Might seem a bit boring.. And so a lot of people prefer to merch over time.. And off course, overnight.
Merching over a longer time (I.e. overnight) takes a slightly bigger risk, as you are not there to check the current low/high price.. But if you have enough information, you can assume something to rise or drop.
To gain this information.. You will have to put a lot of strings together..

In this guide we will take some Dragon Claws as example.

To gain information to see if it would be wise to use them as overnight flip.. You will need to look at least at the following factors;
(Attention: The site below is one I trust, as I have never had any virusses or malware. However, seeing I do not own this website. I could never guarantee 100% safety.. Only your virusscanner & firewall can keep you safe.)
First http://www.grandexchangecentral.com: At the top-right of your screen, at this site, you can "Search GEC" for any items.
Here you can see what the item has been doing in the last few days, aswell as its limit & lowest/highest prices recorded.
The site also has a nice graphical chart of what the item has been doing. With these chart, you can speculate of what an item will be doing..
For example: If a Mud rune has been between 400 & 300 for months... And its at 301 today, you can expect it to rise..
But off course, there are never any guarantees!
Secondly you will need to look if there are any (upcoming) events/updates which may have effect on the price.
Like in this case.. The Evolution of Combat Beta will have an effect on the price of the Dragon Claws.

It is quite hard to explain the charts.. I've always said you need some insight/training to learn to work with the charts.. And with experience.. The knowledge grows!

Yet I will try to explain a bit.
If you take a look at the graphical chart of Dragon Claws, set at 9months.. You will see it dropping over a long period.. with some spikes in it..
When you look at the 7 days.. You will see it rising since about 5 days.. (August 1st - August 5th) and its been rising hard since yesterday (August 4th).. So you can assume it will be rising for one or two more days..
But again, there are no guarantees.. It might as well drop again.. Or rise even harder!
Dragonclaws9m.jpg
Dragonclaws9m.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
Dragonclaws7d.jpg
Dragonclaws7d.jpg (44.63 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
Sharing information/logs & Working together.
Some will disagree. But personally I find it most rewarding to merch with other..
Sharing experience & information, flip logs & nice pictures.. And/or even work together on (manipulating) certain items.
The bad side about working together, like most will say, is that there are usually some players who would rather gain a lot for themselves.. Than just some for all of us!
For this.. I think it is best to just share experience and perhaps some good logs/pictures.. And to find out who is worthy and capable of merching together!
Flipping/Merching all by yourself might end up being quite boring.

To manipulate items.. You will need some people, or a few rich people, in order to buy and hold on to some items..
A lot of people are against manipulations. Personally I believe that is part of making business. (Just like holding on to some items... hoping they will rise..)
However, I do believe this should be done on short terms.. Instead of manipulating an item for over months..
This way.. A bunch of people can make a lot of money in just a short period of time.. And yet the prices won't stay up for long!

Almost every mercher/flipper has his/her own method.. Some will say it is better to flip high-value items such as expensive weapons because they rise (and fall) faster.. While others say it is better to flip low-value items because of the high limits..
It is up to you to find your own method. And perhaps find other which are using on about the same methods.

Personal Guidance & Help for new flippers.
If this all doesn't make any sense to you, or if you would prefer some personal guidance.. Feel free to ask me. (Post here, Private message me in-game or on forum..)
I would love to help out.. Even if you'd think you would never really understand.. I would love to try!
And if one doesn't have any money to start out with.. Just contact me, and maybe we can discuss a little investment. =þ
(You will need to be a member of Kingdom of Asgarnia for at least 1 month for any kind of investments.)
There is also a good video guide posted by our Zaijal.
If you prefer to look at those, please go to http://www.koaclan.co.uk/forums/viewtopi ... =67&t=8442
Please feel free to ask any questions or add any suggestions.

Rocky

Re: Merching/Flipping Guide [Text-based]

Post by Rocky » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:56 pm

An example of profit here;
Flipexample.jpg
Flipexample.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
Seaweed/Mud Runes are from a while back.
Death Talisman are from recently.. ;)

Fluff
RSN: Fluff n Slay

Post by Fluff » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Wow... I understand it now! thanks Rocky
ImageImage

duc_donald
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Duc Donald

Post by duc_donald » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:29 pm

This is probably the most sensible flipping guide i have read so far. I.e. you are not out to impress, but to explain. Good on you!

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:24 am

Thank you both, love getting such reactions! :D

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 am

Definetly agree that this is a sensible guide. I remember someone asking me recently what i do all day if I dont skill or kill, so ill post a few screenies of high end flipping, Nex armours, spirit shields, and glacor boots.
div.png
div.png (25.36 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
Torva plate.png
Torva plate.png (25.82 KiB) Viewed 5583 times

Katy
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: K aty

Post by Katy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 pm

oooh it actually all makes sense....never been lucky with buying and selling but am tempted to have a wee gamble :D
Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting

“She who dies with the most shoes wins!

duc_donald
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Duc Donald

Post by duc_donald » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Had my first attempt at flipping last night with sharks, made about 20gp profit per fish. Think i made about 50K over the time i spent.
A small start, but money for nothing! I think i still prefer skilling based profit, but i was very pleased with the results!

Thanks again Rocky!

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Those are some nice flips Shorty..

To be honest.. I just can't find the nerve to flip such high value items.. I find the risk of losing a lot too high.. And most of the times, the struggle to make more then a couple of millions (per item) too long.. :P
Thats why I prefer mid value..

I'll post another screenie of some pages I flipped a little while ago, another from our clan got a little bit of money out of it too! :D
Zammy page 4.jpg
Zammy page 4.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
And good to hear you (all :P) are making money! 8)

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 pm

And just one more... From quite some time ago.. :P
Attachments
Unicorn horn dust 10K.jpg
Unicorn horn dust 10K.jpg (41.29 KiB) Viewed 5560 times

Aeversme
Inactive
RSN: Ace Aardvark

Post by Aeversme » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:33 am

Now I see how it's done! I've been wondering how people do this. Might have to give it a try...

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Made a great flip earlier today..
Dgh.jpg
Dgh.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
Now unfortunately I haven't made any pictures about me slapping myself for not buying more! ~X(

Camileon
RSN: camileon

Post by Camileon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:33 pm

very cool ty Rocky i have been curious how this has been done before not sure if i will try it but i enjoy learning new things. Thanks :)

Mannichester
RSN: Mannichester

Post by Mannichester » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Let's keep this topic up, ill post a few of mine in a couple of days. :)