Kev's Dungeoneering Keying Guide (Updated 9/3/12)

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Imp334
Inactive
RSN: Sqwire

Re: Kev's Dungeoneering Keying Guide

Post by Imp334 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 am

Oh ok then, that makes sense, thanks :)
By the way, I also recommend this guide to everyone, even if not interested in keying. Having a whole team who knows this stuff works a lot better than having the keyer know it and everyone else aimlessly wandering around :P
Proud Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:57 am

Nice guide, glad you took the time to write it. :)

There are a few things I personally disagree with, but most of it I agree with.

1. When it comes to rushing everyone should be doing most of this, not just keyers. The only thing that a 'keyer' should be doing more than the rest of the party members is directing the flow, assigning gates, organizing.
2. Primal battleaxe vs prom 2h. Touchy subject in the dg'ing community...I tend to believe the baxe is slightly better than the 2h...I know its better vs some monsters but worse vs others. If you don't have a csb the 2h makes pathing easier (hello warriors - good luck vs them with a baxe).
3. Start of the dg (as a keyer) - I strongly believe that opening the map and making runes benefits the team much more than just running in a direction opening rooms with the ggs. I personally can't dungeoneer without knowing where I am on the map and without thinking which path the ggs should be on.
4. (Just emphasizing map reading...) Open the map OFTEN
5. Not sure how many w67'ers use it, but among the people I dg with "wyg" (name) is an abbreviation for "what's your gate"
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Kevinsaurus
RSN: Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Dave wrote:Nice guide, glad you took the time to write it. :)

There are a few things I personally disagree with, but most of it I agree with.

1. When it comes to rushing everyone should be doing most of this, not just keyers. The only thing that a 'keyer' should be doing more than the rest of the party members is directing the flow, assigning gates, organizing.
2. Primal battleaxe vs prom 2h. Touchy subject in the dg'ing community...I tend to believe the baxe is slightly better than the 2h...I know its better vs some monsters but worse vs others. If you don't have a csb the 2h makes pathing easier (hello warriors - good luck vs them with a baxe).
3. Start of the dg (as a keyer) - I strongly believe that opening the map and making runes benefits the team much more than just running in a direction opening rooms with the ggs. I personally can't dungeoneer without knowing where I am on the map and without thinking which path the ggs should be on.
4. (Just emphasizing map reading...) Open the map OFTEN
5. Not sure how many w67'ers use it, but among the people I dg with "wyg" (name) is an abbreviation for "what's your gate"
Thanks for reading over and for the feedback Dave, I'll go ahead and add those tidbits in. Yea the beginning of the dungeon thing is sort of just what I do lol. I kind of rely on people to make those runes and to be able to move the ggs immediately if I need it done. The 2h/Baxe subject is definitely very touchy lol... still extremely debatable and so many different analyses done. Since most people don't have a hex, I suppose baxe might be better, but I think there was some test (don't remember where I read/saw it) that claimed 3 2h's and 2 baxes were better than 2 2h's and 3 baxes. Then again, I don't really know or sure. It's really all about how you use your weapon. Too many people have the baxe and attack the wrong monsters with it, which is unfortunate. Didn't know about "wyg", haven't actually seen in in W67 before, but I'll add it anyways ;)
[center][url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Kevinsaurus][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/t5lejie/ ... saurus.png[/img][/url]
[sig]2012_08_magic2.png[/sig][/center]

Machae
RSN: Machae

Post by Machae » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:37 am

Superb guide - many thanks indeed for it.

Sadly the timeframes are something of a pipedream for me atm, but it is great to have a target to work towards.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Machae wrote:Superb guide - many thanks indeed for it.

Sadly the timeframes are something of a pipedream for me atm, but it is great to have a target to work towards.
No problem, hope it helped you :)
And yea, definitely, they're just future ideal goals =p, no need to rush towards them or anything. It took me a few months just to get down from 25 minute to 15 minute dungeons, and that was with quite a lot of dungeoneering too. It's different for everyone, and it just takes practice and determination ;)
[center][url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Kevinsaurus][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/t5lejie/ ... saurus.png[/img][/url]

Myles
Inactive
RSN: Wizzykins

Re: Kev's Dungeoneering Keying Guide (Updated 7/5/12)

Post by Myles » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:25 pm

One thing I'd also like to clarify, having got a tier 10 Blitzer role ring that this is equal to if not superior to a Blazer ring- while the Blazer ring seems like it might do more damage and is nice on some bosses ie. necrolord I've noticed that the Blitzer ring often has a much higher dps. than others using mage on a floor- however if you are not planning on getting your mage ring to tier ten then I'd probably recommend the Blazer role because as we all know in accordance to the law of Jagex, it may say 10% chance of casting magic slower but that will end up being half the time. :P
[color=#FFFF00]"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"[/color]
[sig]2012_07_dung2.jpg[/sig]
[sig]2012_11_slayer3.png[/sig]

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Myles wrote:One thing I'd also like to clarify, having got a tier 10 Blitzer role ring that this is equal to if not superior to a Blazer ring- while the Blazer ring seems like it might do more damage and is nice on some bosses ie. necrolord I've noticed that the Blitzer ring often has a much higher dps. than others using mage on a floor- however if you are not planning on getting your mage ring to tier ten then I'd probably recommend the Blazer role because as we all know in accordance to the law of Jagex, it may say 10% chance of casting magic slower but that will end up being half the time. :P
Blitzer ring is slightly more (not much higher) damage per second than blazer at tier 10, blazer is recommended more often because it conserves runes.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Myles
Inactive

Post by Myles » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Yeah they are both equally good I'd say, I just wanted to make the clarification so that people were aware that there are two good mage rings not just one option :)
[color=#FFFF00]"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"[/color]

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks for the clarification on that you two, it's a very good point that I forgot about =p. Not that I mage that much of course, but you would Myles xD

Myles
Inactive

Post by Myles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 am

Yes if it was acceptable I'd mage the entire dungeon :P
Also something i just thought of today is the benefits from bonfire bonus! 5 Logs of almost any type should get you an 8% health bonus, which is about an extra 79 lifepoints at level 99, should last you for an entire floor. Every bit helps :P

Imp334
Inactive
RSN: Sqwire

Post by Imp334 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 pm

thats right, I forgot about that.
Bonfire boost timer is based on log type (maples ~30mins magics =60mins)
boost % is based on firemaking level. every 10 lvs is a 1% boost
Proud Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Aeversme
Inactive
RSN: Ace Aardvark

Post by Aeversme » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 pm

This is great info, even for those of us who are total Dung noobs and have no hope of getting that good at keying or dunging in general (I'm probably only speaking about myself, sadly). Thanks for putting the time into this guide, I'm keeping it open while I flounder about in Daemonheim trying to get a few hundred thousand xp per week...

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:16 am

Oh yes, bonfires! I use them every dungeon myself but I guess I forgot to include it haha.

And no problem Aev, take your time =p. This guide's sort of geared towards keying, but for the most part, any good dger should know pretty much all this information generally anyways.

Kevinsaurus

Re: Kev's Dungeoneering Keying Guide (Updated 7/18/12)

Post by Kevinsaurus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:19 am

Update to guide: I just got back from my vacation yesterday, so I should definitely have more time to play now, and I'm hoping to get with a few friends and make that video guide to accompany this text guide soon! Give me maybe.. a week or two and I should have it up hopefully :). I'm really hoping it'll help those who just want to see what sort of things happen in a quicker-paced dungeon.

Kevinsaurus

Re: Kev's Dungeoneering Keying Guide (Updated 7/18/12)

Post by Kevinsaurus » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Sorry for the delay on getting a video out, trying to figure out how to get video software I can use and all and finding time with people to do such a dungeon. Also, a heads up that this guide with have several edits after the combat update, so if you've read this before, it's a good idea to read it again after the update. I'll make a post at the time after I update the guide with a list of all updates and changes made to this guide. But anyways yea, hopefully I can get a video out soon.