Kev's Dungeoneering Keying Guide (Updated 9/3/12)

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Kevinsaurus
RSN: Kevinsaurus

Kev's Dungeoneering Keying Guide (Updated 9/3/12)

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Kevinsaurus's Dungeoneering Keying Guide

Table of Contents
0.0 Author's Note
1.1 Introduction
1.2 What is Keying?
1.3 First Steps
1.4 Binds
1.5 Advanced Details
2.1 How to Key
3.1 DgSweeper
4.1 Suicide Keying
5.1 Dungeoneering Abbreviations & Terminology
6.1 Conclusion
7.1 Acknowledgements

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Update (7/5/12): As requested by a few people, I will (somewhat) soon make a video with live commentary during a dungeon to give people an idea what I'm thinking during my floors and how you could go about keying. Hopefully an instructional video of this sort will benefit all members.
Last edited by Kevinsaurus on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Kevinsaurus

Kev's Dungeoneering Keying Guide

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:58 pm

0.0 Author's Note

WARNING: The author uses many instances of very mild humor in order to lighten the tone of the guide. Feel free to take a pancake and slap your computer monitor every time you find it excessive.

WARNING #2: This guide is fairly long. Be prepared to sit here and just read. This will be quite helpful to most people (I hope) and I feel it is worthwhile to take in the information if you aren't already experienced in keying.

For every second you stare at this topic, I am charging you 0 gp. You may pay me in-game any time you wish. Donations of negative gp are also appreciated. Note that this guide is intended to slow your dungeons down so much that you'll probably have to go to the bathroom twice before your dungeon is finished.

On a more important note: I do have extensive experience keying. I have keyed ~90-95% of the floors I have ever done, and I am currently 120 dungeoneering (~120m xp). I trust that most of this will be helpful and accurate, but I am nowhere close to being a master keyer yet, so please forgive me if there is anything faulty.

*** I put a lot of time into this guide. If you choose to directly copy a part of it for other purposes, please ask me first or give credit. Thanks. ***

With all that in mind, please continue reading ;)
Last edited by Kevinsaurus on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:01 pm

1.1 Introduction

Hey guys. So I know there's a bunch of guides out there about dungeoneering and tips in general and all. This is going to be a more in-depth guide on just keying, with several added general tips and information.

What I haven't seen as much (although there are plenty) are guides on how to escape a scary dinosaur... keying guides. The keyer is the backbone to the team. Literally. No, really, what did you think people mean when they say "“he put the team on his back”? They're referring to Runescape of course. Ever since people figured out that it was better to have a keyer (first truly explored by the clan Dungeoneering Elites back in 2010) than to have everybody running around with keys and no communication, the keyer has been a vital aspect to a team's success in both completing the dungeon and doing so in a decent amount of time.

Despite the fact that the keyer's job is very important, many other aspects of the team may be crucial to its success in having a speedy dungeon. There are various other aspects, such as the other party members and map knowledge which play a crucial role in helping the keyer, but that is up to the other party members to keep in mind mainly (especially map knowledge, while will only be covered for the keyer in this guide).

Kevinsaurus

Re: Kev's Dungeoneering Keying Guide

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:01 pm

1.2 What is Keying?

Keying is the technical art of being a master ninja. I'm serious. Good keyers will blow your mind away with their floor times and their ability to go to any other room in a matter of priceless seconds. So if you've never had the opportunity to train up to be a real life ninja, Dungeoneering is the perfect and opportune moment you've been waiting for!

Unfortunately, with the reworks in dungeoneering, especially with all the keys showing up in a menu and no need to drop keys and all, the beautiful art that is keying has faded a bit. I'm not saying I don't like how it is now (I really do like it), but it takes away from some of the keying aspect (and content in this guide haha). In a nutshell, keying is the leading of a team to the end of a dungeon by directing other party members while managing all keys, doors, rooms, and monsters in the dungeon. Keying is not really about the keys. It's all about knowing what decisions need to be made, figuring out quickly how to make those decisions, and executing the plan efficiently and mistake-free.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:05 pm

1.3 First Steps

This is where the guide truly begins.

There are many simple things that you should do as a keyer. Some are more practical, while others are somewhat or very important. They are pretty basic and fundamental, but take note of all of them. Although this guide is set up for keyers, some of these tips can also apply to you when you are not the keyer in the party, so pay attention.

1) Make sure you host the party.

Does it really matter…?

It's pretty obvious, and so simple, and yet there are so many people who are on teams in which the keyer is not the party leader. Though it's definitely feasible to do a dungeon without the keyer being the party leader, it helps because the keyer already has the group gatestone at the beginning, and he/she has the ability to mark monsters/rooms, which is helpful and necessary for efficient dungeonering oftentimes. If you don't wish to keep typing the same dungeon advertisement messages over and over again, you can have someone else advertise, but make sure they promote you before starting the dungeon. Also, nowadays, in dungeoneering worlds, it is standard that the party host is the keyer, and if that is not the case, well… let's just say you won't have 5 people in that party for very long…

2) Know that you're rushing. Unless the team is okay with a lengthy dungeon.

I thought we were supposed to kill all the monsters…

This is not to criticize those who like to do dungeons slowly, skilling and killing all the monsters and such. Doing such actually gives quite good experience to be honest. However, this guide is more directly intended for those who really want to key or be able to do fast dungeons, as speed is the key to fast experience. Not only should the keyer be rushing, the entire team should be rushing. If you are seriously trying to train dungeoneering, there's no reason you should be slow.

This sort of just sounds silly, but a lot of keyers still don't truly understand that when you rush a dungeon (as you should be doing), you don't kill monsters unless the room is a GD, or a room needs to be cleared, for emotes or for another reason that is necessary (a poltergeist room, for example, so that herbs can be picked). No really, don't kill monsters unless you need to. If you're getting hurt, then get out of the room or hide behind a pillar or some other obstacle, or just simply pray your protect prayers (that's what they're there for). The only exception may be if you are idle and wish to soul split on one of the dinosaurs (whatever they're called, I call them my brethren, just don't hurt them too much or I'll be getting a lot of calls) to get a little bit of your life points back. Contrary to popular belief, you don't clear lever rooms. As the person in charge, get everyone to lever rooms quickly (immediately) and prep the count (say "“on 3” for example), and then begin counting quickly. Keep protection prayers on and get those levers pulled. This is much faster than clearing a room that doesn't need to be cleared.

As a result of rushing, you will be dealt a good deal of damage in many rooms, and will need food. Make sure that as the keyer, your inventory is well-stocked with food. By well-stocked, I only mean around 4-5 salve eels or around an equivalent. Use your prayers to your advantage, it keeps you from having to eat too much. If you're able to grab more, go ahead by all means (I try to snipe food at early GDs so I don't have to ask for food later). Good keyers know how much damage they can take from monsters before needing to eat to stay alive while praying, so a few pieces should be sufficient.

As for bonus experience from killing all monsters, consider this: Would you rather kill every monster and spend an extra 10+ minutes getting maybe only a couple thousand more experience, or would you rather get a dungeon done quickly with a good amount of experience and then get started on another dungeon where you can get tens of thousands or even over a hundred thousand more experience? The second choice is definitely the better one to make. (Consider this: in that extra 10+ minutes, you could, with speed, finish an entire dungeon and get loads of experience, and your saved time and go towards better skilling and training methods.)

3) Pay close attention to and know your teammates' levels.

Can't I just call for a level when I need it or check stats during the dungeon?

I really cannot stress how important this is. Firstly, you need to check dungeoneering levels when people join your party (you can do this by clicking on a player's name in the party list in the dungeoneering interface, and then click on the stats tab to view his or her stats). Know what kind of a world you're in (different worlds have different standards for levels) — as for unofficial worlds, 114 is the only one I really know of and use, and that world is 105+ dungeoneering. Also, make sure the player is a level you're okay with (your party members too). There are low level players that are extremely good, and there are high level players who… well let's just put it this way… really suck. I've seen people with 120 Dungeoneering who don't know how to kill a boss or do a puzzle. Don't be afraid to just kick someone if you need to. I kick people from parties all the time because they are below my level standards when I advertise. If you really want to, you can apologize, but don't take someone if they're going to hurt your dungeon time and progress. A high-leveled dungeoneerer is a knowledgeable one, and knowledge is pretty much the most important aspect to this.

Before starting the dungeon, as you're gathering party members and advertising, check all other stats of your party members (this may take a little multitasking). It is helpful to have a maxed or nearly maxed player always on your team if possible (know who that person is though), although this is not always the case. For me personally, I kind of hate having maxed players on my team and such, because the critical path will always feature high level skill doors I can't do (simply because my total level sucks). Have a general feel for who has what kind of levels and who your main skiller(s) are in your party. You don't want to have to check levels / stats while keying, as it will slow you down significantly. When I say skiller, I don't mean fishing, woodcutting, etc. You should never be skilling in a dungeon unless everyone is absolutely idle (which will never be the case more than a few seconds hopefully). This way, in the dungeon, if you need a skill door or room opened or done, you can call a person by name. For example, you could say "“Kev gt” rather than something like "“80 mining gt”. For one, names or abbreviations are usually shorter to type, and also, this prevents multiple people from teleporting to the needed puzzle, room, or door. If necessary, you, as the keyer will let people know if a room needs clearing. Otherwise, keep everybody else busy at gds or on their own paths so things roll smoothly.

4) Stay warm. And make sure you're awake.

Wait, what? What does this have to do with keying?

It has plenty to do with keying. When you're cold, your body shakes, you lose focus, and your reaction time increases. Your hands also begin to shake. All these things combined can cause you to do things slowly, and as a keyer, your team relies on you to keep moving and do things quickly so they can keep moving to get the dungeon done quickly. Sometimes, when I key in the morning, it's cold in my room and my hands are cold and shaking. There is a definite increase in floor time when you're not comfortable. So make sure you have warm clothes on, a heater, cup of water, and anything else you might need to stay relaxed and focused (there is a lot to do with keying, but it isn't supposed to be an anxiety attack). Though this seems like a real-life issue and is more of a practical note, it is still important if you want to reach your keying potential, so don't take this too lightly. Oh, and don't try dungeoneering on 1 hour of sleep, it never works out well. So yeah, this was sort of a random jokester tidbit… but I am sort of serious about it. :p
Last edited by Kevinsaurus on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:07 pm

1.4 Binds

I often have people asking me what items I have bound and what the best items to bind are. I personally currently have a Hexhunter Bow, Primal 2h, Primal Platebody, Blood Necklace, and 225 Sagittarian Arrows (unpoisoned) bound. Here are suggestions on binds.

Ammo — If you are a low level dungeoneerer, you should bind a celestial surgebox. Just do it. The reason you bind it is because of the magic attack you are able to cast; law runes are an obsolete bind nowadays because you can make them so quickly at the beginning of a floor anyways. To be quite honest, law runes are, in my opinion, a stupid and useless bind. A celestial surgebox is much more useful (taking down warriors, etc.).

Weapon — In addition to the ammo bind, get a weapon bound. This is a must. If you are under 50 dungeoneering, just get this bound. If you don't have a weapon, you are pretty much a useless team member. There are only 3 melee weapons you should consider binding. They are a 2h, battleaxe, and spear. These are, of course, at the highest tier you can wield (gorgonite or promethium for most, or primal if you are able to get a drop from a boss). The spear should only ever be considered if you have a hexhunter bow bound and you keep the desperado ring on at all times. However, the spear is not very strong and doesn't hit very well, so I still advise strongly against it. Otherwise, you must choose between the 2h and the battleaxe. My personal opinion (as well as that of most people) is that the 2h is better than the battleaxe. There has been a lot of debate going on for quite a while now regarding the 2h and battleaxe, however. While the battleaxe is faster and still deals respectable damage, it doesn't deal as much damage, and more importantly, it is less accurate. Theoretically, a team with 3-4 2h's and 1-2 baxes is better than a team of 5 2h's, but most teams are not cohesive enough to get this to work. To have a battleaxe bound means to know how to use a celestial surgebox to maximum effectiveness and to know which monsters to target with melee and which to leave for the 2h. If you truly prefer the battleaxe, then you can bind it, but your ammo bind must then be a celestial surgebox fully charged with the highest type of spell you can cast (wave or surge). If you have a hexhunter bow bound, I definitely would recommend the 2h.

Your second bind once you get to 50 dungeoneering should be a shadow silk hood. These can only be obtained as a rare drop from night spiders (mostly found in abandoned and occult floors). Until you find a shadow silk hood, have a platebody bound so you have defense. (Note that a promethium platebody is better than a primal chainbody). Once you get a hood, bind it over the platebody right away.

While you have the shadow silk hood bound, you should use it to your advantage to do rooms faster. Not only that, you should use it to your advantage to practice tanking and praying and eating in dungeons, especially when you become unhooded. The hood is actually a useless bind, but at lower levels it's a great bind to practice with and to keep you from dying too often.

If you get a hexhunter bow, bind it. Just bind it. I don't care what you bind it over, just bind it, although at 100+ dungeoneering, you'd generally replace the shadow silk hood with the hexhunter bow and keep the patebody and melee weapon. Don't forget to bind sagittarian arrows if you have a hexhunter bow. If you are 120, you can then tag on a blood necklace or other item. The reason I say you should bind it is that you will most likely never see a hexhunter bow, nevertheless one you manage to get for yourself. It is too rare and too valuable not to bind. It can be used to speed up many bosses and clear rooms of mages, demons, books, shades, and ghosts easily. If you are a ranged pure, this should be your primary weapon if you can get one. And even if you aren't 98 ranged, bind it first and keep it until you train to 98 ranged.

Optionally, one can bind a celestial catalytic staff (no other lower tier of staff is really good at all). However, I wouldn't recommend it as a hexhunter bow is more useful generally, and with a staff one will have to make runes too. With the staff, one should have the blazer ring on unless the ring is upgraded to tier 10, in which case a tier 10 blitzer ring should be used (more damage per second).

If you get a blood necklace, it is up to you if you want to bind it. I personally love it, but only as a 3rd bind or 4th bind. It is extremely useful for its attack bonuses and for its special effect which can save you a few hits here and there KO-ing monsters throughout the dungeon. And I suppose if you're that crazy about health, it heals you too :p

Once you get your fourth bind at 120 dungeoneering, you should bind primal platelegs (or some platelegs). Should it be the case that you are a ranged pure, you can have Sagittarian legs bound. Optionally, primal gauntlets or primal boots are good too.

You should never have a shield slot item bound under any condition, and I advise against having any bow other than the hexhunter bow bound because of literally the uselessness and ineffectiveness of any other bow.
Last edited by Kevinsaurus on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:20 am, edited 5 times in total.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:12 pm

1.5 Advanced Details

This builds off of section 1.3 (First Steps) with some more advanced and technical things that I suggest.

1) Use F Keys.

Why would I use F Keys? I've never touched them! And what do they even do?

For those who don't know, your F Keys (F1, F2, etc.) can be pressed to switch between different tabs (inventory, attack style, prayer, etc.). Using these requires a little switching and multitasking since one hand is on the mouse. The other hand must cover both the arrow keys to look around and the F keys. The reason I suggest F keys is so that you can switch tabs very quickly and easily with no misclicking. That way, you can keep clicking around to move and attack monsters with your mouse at the same time. This can actually save up to around a minute in a dungeon if you use it properly and efficiently. F keys should be used by all players, not just the keyer, but the keyer should be using them especially. No excuses.

2) Flash turmoil. Or keep turmoil on. As much as you can, if not everywhere.

It's a lot of clicking. And won't my prayer drop?

Yes, it's a lot of clicking, but it's worth it. When you flash turmoil (or soul split for that matter), you click it about a second before you're going to attack and turn it off after that second. This means two things. One, you need to know your attack speed so you can time it. And two, yes, you will probably be turning turmoil off AS you are attacking. By doing this, you're giving yourself that extra attack, strength, and defense boost that will help prevent you from taking damage and help you deal much more damage more often. Recommend your party members to do this too, as it will speed up gds and the boss. This is especially useful for killing high level monsters and especially primal warriors. Another upside to this is that as a keyer, when you solo some gds, this can speed up the process significantly. Flashing is nice because it conserves prayer, but it's preferable to keep it turned on (this goes for leech defence and leech ranged as well, where applicable).

As for your prayer draining, if you flash properly, you can actually do so without losing any prayer points (if you do it quick enough). This requires timing and practice, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it, and it is very useful for preserving prayer too (you can flash protection prayers in gds while fighting monsters too). Take my word on this. I have gone over 5 minutes of fighting before with only 1 prayer point left (1, not 10), turmoil flashing nearly the whole time with my prayer never running out, and having turmoil on for every attack. Flashing is helpful, and you should do it if you want to speed your dungeon up. Having the whole team flash turmoil might save up to a few minutes in a dungeon!

3) Overloads and Prayer Renewals. Do it.

But why...

As a keyer, you'll be speeding through the dungeon quickly. Overloads and prayer renewals will help with this greatly. Overloads will help you hit very high and often, clearing early gds quickly. Try to get as many as your party members to overload as well if possible. The same goes with prayer renewals. For prayer renewals, you should definitely drink a sip. This will help you recover prayer over time for the beginning of the dungeon. Why is this helpful? Well, you can pretty much use protection prayers leisurely, as well as turmoil and soul split without worrying about flashing or losing prayer and needing to recharge it. What I recommend is using this opportunity to turmoil every monster that needs to be killed without flashing, so that the stat boosts go higher and stay higher. You can also use these precious minutes to double flash soul split and turmoil if you're low on food. If you don't know how to double flash, it takes practice, but it is just like flashing, but only with two prayers, and it requires a lot more timing and precision to save prayer points.

Take it from someone experienced enough to know the effectiveness of overloads. I've done floors with Dave before where, because of the effect of the overload, we were able to speed past some rooms and literally open half the map within the first 5 minutes. From a gp/xp perspective, it's not even that expensive either, so you should definitely do it. Also, people may rage at you if you're the keyer and you don't pot (same goes for regular party members though in high level dungeoneering worlds and parties and such).

4) Know the map. (Use DgSweeper)

Do I really have to?

This is one of the most crucial aspects of keying, if not the most. You need to know the map extremely well, in and out. Knowing or not knowing the map is the difference between a 15 minute dungeon and a 30 or 40 minute dungeon. With good knowledge of your dungeon map, you should either be helping with a gd, doing a puzzle, pathing, or being constantly on the move, as any pauses or hesitations can easily add up and slow your dungeon down significantly. There are a multitude of things that keyers must know regarding the map. All of them are related to knowing what the entire map looks like, so make sure you keep up with the visual of the map. I'm going to touch upon 3 of the most important points now though.

The first point is the importance of knowing paths in the dungeon. If you don't know what one is, a path is basically a section of a dungeon, a trail you could call it, starting after an opened door.
It is important to keep track of paths (where paths are; their lengths, directions they go in; current location of all party members ; know the rooms around the dungeon and where key doors are). I'll go more into pathing later in the guide (images provided).

One utility that may be of great help to many players (keyers and non-keyers alike, although very helpful for keyers) is DgSweeper. I was first introduced to the utility by Dave, who has used it for a while, and now I have been using DgSweeper for quite a while, using it for every dungeon I am in. While having a superior brain and photographic memory would be of extreme help, I don't possess such skillful talent, and therefore revert to the amazing help attainable from DgSweeper. DgSweeper has many functions, and allow a lot of functionality. I will go into more detail with DgSweeper later in section 3.1.

5) Maintain food.

Well, I just fill up my whole inventory, yes?

Keyers generally don't need much food at all. A good keyer can get through the entire dungeon with only 3-4 salve eels or so at a time without having to worry about dying. Your teammates should be willing to leave food on the ground for you if you are low on food, as you don't really ever have the time to collect food yourself because of your busy job. Nevertheless, don't try keying without food because death will be very imminent, and this could slow a dungeon down greatly if you die before you're able to create a gatestone to mark a location or path you are on. Also, in maintaining food, you should keep in mind when and when not to eat. If you have nearly full hitpoints, there's no reason to waste food healing yourself to maximum hitpoints. There also really isn't a reason to eat if your hitpoints are green either. You should wait until your hitpoints dip down quite a bit first before you eat. This way, you can save food for when you really need it, which is probably a boss.

6) Die for prayer.

You're kidding right?

Dying for prayer is one thing a lot of people don't like to do and are extremely stubborn about. There's always people who will be asking "“Where's an altar?” or "“Can someone build an altar?” or "“Does anybody have cash for an altar?” To say the least, let me start off by saying that you shouldn't be building altars when you're rushing… ever. This is true especially if you're the keyer. There's really no point because there will most likely be an altar somewhere in the dungeon, and you shouldn't need to recharge your prayer other than the time you pass the altar for the first time. Building an altar or searching for an altar and recharging your prayer really takes up too much time. Even a single person not at a gd or at the boss because of an altar will slow the dungeon down significantly. When you're running low on food or have no prayer left, don't try to be a hero and tank off every monster by using up every salve eel in the dungeon to keep yourself alive. You need to be considerate and leave food for others as well, as it's in your best interest to just die and get your prayer back. As the keyer, you need to be very lenient with dying for prayer because it is likely you may very well have to because of all the protection prayers you use running through rooms everywhere. In general, don't be afraid to tag on a death for prayer, especially when it will save you food, allow you to turmoil and soul split again, and boost your hitpoints back up to their maximum again. A death or two doesn't hurt your experience gained that much (13% really isn't that much).

7) Always have a gatestone ready.

Oh, whoops, I forgot to make one.

By this, I mean either a personal gatestone or another team member's gatestone. If you don't have a gatestone placed already, keep one in your inventory ready so that you can drop it wherever and whenever you need to. This is also a really good idea so that if you die, your gatestone can save your location (this is crucial in one-way dungeons or paths especially). You should know which of your team members have gatestones already and who has a free gate. This way, you can strategically drag certain people along certain paths so that you can resourcefully and efficiently use gatestones to gate areas and paths throughout the dungeon. If at any point you need to as the keyer, break your personal gatestone and make a new one to move the group gatestone to somewhere like a gd, levers room, or emotes room. Then you can have someone regate the area your broke, or you can go regate it yourself when you have time to save time later on in the dungeon when that door needs to be opened. It's better to keep people busy and have one person run a door and regate it rather than idling everybody for an extended period of time just to run the group gatestone to a room that needs to be done immediately.

8) Upgrade your Ring of Kinship.

But it costs tokens...

This is something too many people don't do. This is directed towards all players, and this is also a must for keyers. As you probably know, your ring of kinship can be upgraded in many different styles, up to tier 10 for each. The only three that should be upgraded, if any, are the berserker ring (this is a must for all), as well as the Desperado and Blazer rings (depending on your secondary weapon bind, if you have one (either hexhunter bow or celestial catalytic staff, unless you have a celestial surgebox). Blitzer ring is preferred only if it's tier 10.

Rings should be upgraded to at least Tier 7 for a decent effect. Anything less than Tier 7 is not very effective and helpful to be quite honest. Tier 7 is suggested because of how cheap it is while still being a moderately high tier. I recommend upgrading your rings as soon as possible if you haven't already. When you have the tokens, if you are willing to, I highly recommend upgrading all the way through Tier 10, especially if you intend on training a lot (such as for 120 Dungeoneering, for example).

9) Turn Shared Xp Off

I want my xp!

This is something not just the keyer, but everybody in the party should do. Having shared xp off allows a person who does a skill door to receive full experience for the door. Depending on the experience gained, one can determine whether the path is the critical path or a bonus path. This is very important for managing movement of the group gatestone and progression throughout the map.

10) Use Bonfires

What's the point?!

Bonfires are great because of the lifepoint boost they provide. Although its effect is minimal, it's still quite nice. I recommend making magic bonfire (6 logs, 1 for the fire, 5 to add for the boost) before every floor if you can.
Last edited by Kevinsaurus on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 pm

2.1 How to Key / Map Reading

This is pretty much the part of the guide you're really looking for I would suppose. But don't just read this part. Read the rest of this guide too, as there is a lot of other good information to know as a keyer, and even if there's information you know already, there's no harm in spending a few extra seconds making sure you know it correctly anyways.

In this section of the guide, I'm going to do the following 3 things:

1) Give general tips about what to do and what not to do when keying
2) Explain concepts that are important to know, such as pathing
3) Provide sample maps and scenarios to build general dungeon knowledge skills

As you should know (hopefully), the only floors you should be keying large floors for are abandoned, occult, and warped floors (furnished occasionally and possibly, but not recommended). By abandoned floors, I mean abandoned 2 floors (floors 30-35). Occasionally, people do abandoned 1 floors, but that's mainly just to set record times and other things. You could do furnished larges if you want, but once you start to unlock a couple abandoned 2s, I advise against it for both boss difficulty reasons and xp/time-saving reasons. Some people opt out of abandoned floors and rush them, but I find them still a good chunk of experience in a short amount of time, so I do them.

Here are some timeframes for what should be done by certain points in a dungeon. These will vary and change accordingly to the dungeon and the team. These times are also ideal for fast keyers and those who are rather experienced. Do not try to reach these times right away if you don't have extensive keying experience. Think of them more like goals to set for you to work towards over time. Although not the only ones, times are good indicators of your keying performance.

Note: I personally like to call out the dungeon time occasionally and sporadically throughout the dungeon so my party knows how long we've been in the dungeon. Knowing that a dungeon is going quickly encourages even faster progress, while knowledge that a dungeon is going slowly usually encourages people to pick up the pace and do better.

Abandoned
1:00 – Have everybody ready to go with runes and in some room doing something. Several doors should ideally be open already.
5:00 – Overload runs out. Dungeon should ideally be at least a quarter open by now.
10:00 – Over half the dungeon should be open by now. (Depends heavily on map layout, number of gds, and turmoiling of gds, as well as focus of teammates)
13:00 – Should be nearing ¾ of the dungeon open hopefully. Prepare to open a significant rest of the dungeon yourself and have the rest of the team do the upcoming boss if not already opened.
15:00 – You should be at the boss around now, or at least have your team at the boss, if the boss isn't killed already, in which case you'd be focusing on finishing the dungeon.
17:00/18:00 – Your dungeon should be done by now roughly. May be shorter or longer.

Occult
1:00 – Have everybody ready to go with runes and in some room doing something. Several doors should ideally be open already.
5:00 – Overload runs out. Dungeon should ideally be at least a quarter open by now.
10:00 – Over half the dungeon should be open by now. (Depends heavily on map layout, number of gds, and turmoiling of gds, as well as focus of teammates)
15:00 – Over ¾ of the dungeon should be completed fully by now, and have your team start on the boss if possible (don't if you need your party for something).
18:00 – Finish up rest of dungeon if necessary, and complete boss if not completed before for another reason
20:00 – Dungeon should be done by now hopefully

Warped
13:00 – Around ¾ of the dungeon should be finished at this time.
15:00 – The dungeon should be close to completion. Keep going if boss is not uncovered yet.
17:00 – Start the boss now if not started already.
19:00 – Your dungeon should hopefully be completed by now. If a few doors are still left, go ahead and open them only if they don't take too much time.

Like I said, these are just general guideline timeframes for when you become quite experienced. They may be beneficial or completely useless to you. I'm just putting it out there in case anybody is curious how my usual fast dungeons go or in case anybody wants to use it to help shape their dungeon time management. The times given above are ideal for keyers who are maxed or close to maxed. I personally am not close to being maxed, and I have trouble in dungeons because I often need people to open doors for me, slowing down my dungeon times by up to 2-3 minutes. Having high skills and training really does help, so do it!

I know that these times are pretty much the most optimal of sorts, so don't aim for them right away of course. Take your time and steadily work towards them. If you're not there already, aim for 30 minute dungeons, then work your way down to 25, and 20, and then you can start really working towards 15.

Now I'm going to cover a general chronological timeline of how the dungeon should go for you as a keyer at the beginning. This is not necessarily the best way, but it's what I do, and I've had great success with it.

Dungeon Start Timeline

Run to the tables and quickly grab the highest tier item(s) you can. I suggest grabbing ~2 items, and take 3 if you need to because they are low tier items. Grab rune essence off the starting tables if you can as well. You should now immediately open all base doors (pick up a base key if there is one), as well as 1 room past each room connected to a base door. Open your map after opening all base doors possible to take a glance at what the starting map looks like. As I will point out shortly n this section, you want to build into areas with more potential to expand in the map, so put primary focus on the largest path. If a path keeps going and you are able to do it quickly, continue to do so until you hit a dead end or an unopenable key door or a guardian door, at which point you should have your teammates teleport or move the group gatestone (they're supposed to have runes by now and have a personal gatestone in their inventory). Next, get back to base, sell your table items, and buy rune essence, and make law and cosmic runes. Take a quick peek at the map at this point and quickly determine which direction would probably lead to the bulk of the dungeon, and follow that path, unless that path is dead for now. Make any calls to your team as necessary. At this point, get yourself back to base by running (if you have cosmics bound, you can actually leave a gatestone at base at the beginning so getting back to base if quick and easy if a long early path is to emerge). Run the path you opened if it was unopenable and gate it if nobody gated it.

If you use DgSweeper, you can place Gold Shield keys on the map at places where you had party members gate. They're also useful for marking pot doors (this is what I use them for). But wait, wouldn't this be extremely confusing? No not really actually. Given the map, you should be able to tell which grid squares you place the keys on with the applet. Also, there are no such things as gold shield keys and doors in dungeoneering. False? Why don't you take a moment then to think of the last time you saw a gold shield key or door if ever. ;)

Map Reading

Map reading is probably one of the two most important things you need to be able to do as a keyer. For this section, I will be providing pictures to help me explain certain things. The ideas for this were partially adopted from the guide DGS has which can be found at http://www.xp-waste.com/map-reading-pathing-t1315.html

It is important to read this part of the guide thoroughly, as some of the more important points are actually in just the plain text of information that I provide. The images are there to enhance your understanding of the concepts visually, but some of the tips and tricks are embedded in the information itself and not in the pictures.

One important thing to keep in mind is that map reading is useless unless you keep your knowledge of the map updated. Open your map whenever a door or two is opened to keep it updated and accurate for you. Having DgSweeper helps with this greatly.

The first two points I'm going to touch upon are determining path sizes and path directions. This will also slightly cover path proximity.

One of the things you need to be able to do when map reading is determining the size of paths. This is important because it basically tells you where the bulk of the map / dungeon will probably stem from and lie, and where you should probably send people. In general, drag the group gatestone along the largest path in the dungeon. In the map below, there is a base door that can't be opened, as there a room north and south of base. The north room has doors to the west and north, while the south room has a door to the west. Just based off this, you can determine that the north path holds the most potential for a good chunk of the map because it has more doors to path off of, and it also controls the entire north half of the map at this point I time. The south room has potential too, but it only holds one door. The room afterwards may split two ways to lead to the south as well, but this is somewhat unlikely, as paths tend to go straight and don't simply turn constantly / every room. The east door at base doesn't seem like it can hold many rooms. It is probably restricted to a few rooms east of base. So the north room and path is where attention should be given the most.

Here is another example of a dungeon map, only a little more developed than the one above. Here, a couple rooms north of base, there is a room with two doors. However, you can see that the east door will run into another path and probably be a dead end, and the north door doesn't make much room to work with. A similar scenario is occurring with the room yellow and light green are at. The rooms the keyer (red) and dark green are at have more space available to them and more potential to develop into a large chunk of the map (both south), despite both rooms having only one door at the moment.

Here is one more example of determining path size. In the map pictured below, the two rooms near base seem to be pressed for space and pushed up against the west wall or into a small region, so these will probably lead to dead ends soon. The door in the south middle of the dungeon isn't very close to another path per say, but look at it. It's basically restricted to the southeast region of the map, and if it's to expand further, it will have to build along the east side, which is unlikely. Meanwhile, the room light blue and dark green are at seems to hold a good portion of the map, as it controls the east part of the map. The only problem is, the map may turn and go south, and it is in proximity of the room in the south middle of the dungeon, so there is a good chance these paths may collide or block each other off from developing very far. The room the keyer and yellow are at is the best bet for the majority of the dungeon's paths. That room has two doors, meaning more possibilities for paths and branching of paths, and it also controls practically the entire north portion of the map.

So in general, you want to have most of your party members along the larger paths, because those will contain the majority of the dungeon rooms, and you want to be able to open the map as quickly as possible. In addition, having more people on these paths can help with making guardian door rooms go by faster.

The next point I'm going to cover is the idea of the critical path and bonus paths. For simplicity's sake, consider the critical path as the path of rooms leading from the base to the boss. This is not exactly true though, but it is not very important. Skill doors along the critical path can be determined because the skill level requirement for the door will range anywhere from the maximum level a player on the team has in that respective skill to that same level – 9. For example, with a maxed player on the team, all critical path skill doors will have level requirements ranging from 90-99. In addition, the experience you get from these skill doors is the level required * 5 + 10. This can help you determine if a door you are opening is a critical path door or not, and it can also indicate whether a door is a pot door or not (especially during the first 5 minutes of the dungeon, if you overload). This is why having shared xp off is important.

It is important to keep in mind the following. The majority of rooms in the dungeon are not critical path rooms, as that is only about 1/3 of the rooms. You do not, however, want to open the boss door last unless you have to. Why is this? Depending on the situation, sometimes it is better to have one or two people do the boss while the others are completing the dungeon. If the majority of the map is open, I'd say have one person start the boss by him/herself. It's also a pain sometimes to open the boss last because it's the only thing you can do before ending the dungeon, and the boss can take several minutes sometimes, stretching your dungeon time that ideally, you would probably want to be short. And of course, if you miss a key and it so happens to be the last room, which is the boss... which has happened many times to me by the way... your life gets really hard really fast, and people get annoyed. Hence, it is important to have your team on the critical path in the earlier stages on the dungeon and get that developed quickly. Afterwards, you should have members split up, pathing or doing certain guardian door rooms.

In the map below, you can clearly see what the critical path is, as the boss has been opened. This is actually quite an interesting map, as everything that's left and emphasized heavily (in this case, entirely) in the south part of the map. It's probably a good idea here, as those rooms are all rather close to each other, for someone to start boss (generally either the keyer or someone with food), while everyone else finishes up the dungeon. At this point, everybody else should have the four current active rooms gated in order for smooth progression. Here is a good question though: Let's say all 4 rooms are guardian door rooms. Which one should the group gatestone be moved to first? If you go back to thinking about path sizes and directions, you'll see that you should be moving it to the east-most of the four rooms. Yes, the boss is already opened, but this is still important nevertheless. Despite the critical path being a major determining factor in planning out where the group gatestone should be, it is still important to have these things in your mind even after the boss is open so that the rest of the dungeon can be done as soon as possible. If you first think about it, it seems like the order doesn't really matter because in the end, the same amount of work will be done to complete everything. But in this case, establishing and completing the east path is important because it has the potential to be a rather large path, and when the boss is opened, it's nice to have people finish their paths and then go help with the boss for a smooth ending to the dungeon. You don't want to leave someone with a large path he/she can't complete and have to go back to it after the boss or something.

In this next map, the critical path is the one going south, and therefore, the north path is a bonus path. The south path is also bigger. So technically then, shouldn't the team be heading south? In theory, yes, path size takes precedence over bonus paths, but in this case, it was actually better for the team to head north (we were not limited to north, but we all went north). Can you think of a reason why? There are several plausible explanations.

In addition to being able to identify critical paths and bonus paths, you should be able to identify when the rest of the map is soloable. This, of course may take time, especially if there is a difficult guardian door room. However, it is better to have somebody solo the rest of the dungeon if it's fairly manageable and there aren't a lot of rooms. This way, the dungeon can be finished when the boss is killed. Below is a great example of when the rest of the dungeon should be soloed. With the exception of rooms like levers or emotes, the remainder of the dungeon is regionalized to the southwest corner of the map, making it very easy for a person to maneuver through the rest of the dungeon. Hence, one person can finish up the map while the other four kill the boss. It is even okay if there are one door rooms spread out throughout the dungeon left in addition to a small chunk like the one seen below. Remaining key doors should be gated by other party members, so after the acquisition of a key, a simple quick teleport from the boss can get those rooms done easily, while that person returns to the boss fight. If it seems like you won't be able to solo the rest of the dungeon, move the group gatestone immediately and notify your team immediately. Do not wait. It is a mistake to wait because you ideally want both the map and the boss completed at the same time, rather than having to go back to doing the map after the boss is already dead. As to whether or not your party members should all teleport to come help you out, that depends. This really depends on the amount of the dungeon left, who each person is, and the binds people have. With a huge portion of the dungeon left, yes, you should move the GGS right away and get everyone to help out (and have somebody gate the boss of course). With a medium-sized path, maybe one or two people could stay behind at the boss (one or two people can deal a significant amount of damage to the boss alone). With this, you need to keep in mind people's combat stats as well as their skill stats and their binds. With hexable bosses, you definitely want your hexes at the boss, and you ideally want higher combat stats at the boss (unless there are high monster level guardian rooms). In addition, you want your best skillers on the path to open skill doors that may show up. Sometimes, these all conflict, and it's up to you to think about the situation and figure out the best plan to go forward with.

The next idea I'm going to talk about is personal gatestone placement. I'm only going to provide one map image for this, as this is a pretty general and simple idea. People, unfortunately, still mess it up all the time. With the map, you are bound to have many branching doors, and as a result, it is very likely that several unopenable key doors will be near each other at any given time. When you gate in dungeoneering, you gate areas, not doors. This is very important. Even if there is only one door, you are gating an area, not a single room or a single door. Therefore, if you are gating an area, you should be placing your gatestone at the central point of the area, from where you can access all nearby key doors and undone rooms the quickest. With this comes the idea of placing personal gatestones at forks. In the map below, how many areas can you identify? I spot four. Hence, a person should have each area gated. For the person gating the northwest area, it's probably best to place a gatestone in the room in between the two rooms with unopened doors (the idea behind central gating). The same goes for the southwest area. What about the person gating the southeast area? Well, count up the rooms and how far they are from each other. I would put a gatestone right at base.

Another thing you should keep in mind is filling in gaps in the map. Think about a complete dungeon map. You don't tend to see that many empty spaces where rooms could have been. The map is generally pretty full. You should keep this in mind when pathing to help you determine how large paths are going to be or how much longer they might go for. In the map below, there are already a lot of gaps in the map, such as the awkward 3-space gap in the east area of the map. These will happen, but keep in mind that they can't occur everywhere, or you'll be down to something along the lines of a 50-room dungeon, which simply never happens. Therefore, you can pretty safely say that one of the south paths is going to wrap west to fill in the gaps there. Using gaps to help you map read is very helpful for determining whether or not a section of the map is probably soloable or not as well.

The final topic I'm going to touch base upon is one-way maps and one-way dungeons. This isn't really a technique as much as it is an occurrence in a floor that you will encounter every now and then. One-way maps or dungeons are those in which there is only one active path on the map that can be traversed. This means there can be unopenable doors, but the activity is restricted to one room at a time. In some more uncommon instances, a map will be entirely one-way, in which case there is literally only one room available to do in the entire map. I personally hate one-ways with a burning passion, and you should too. They're time killers and overload killers. Below is an example of a pretty bad one-way. The base door was a pot door, and the map went only west at first. After that, it went east, but stopped at the fork and we were forced to go north, which you can see developed into a very nasty one-way by itself. And after finishing all that… we have a one-way to the southeast. One-ways unfortunately can be killer maps sometimes because a pot door can hold a large portion of the map like in this instance. In cases like these, make the pot during the dungeon and open up that path, or experience will be significantly decreased. If pot doors only hold a few rooms leftover at the end, it is advised to simply skip them (although herbs should be collected and grown throughout the dungeon so that it doesn't take extra time at the end to do those doors). So what can you do when you get a one-way? Well, unfortunately, not that much at all. You just have to tough it out and get your team to focus and blast through rooms quickly until you can get the map to open up more. Do your best.

Last edited by Kevinsaurus on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:24 pm

3.1 DgSweeper

If you want to check out DgSweeper and download it, go here: http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=dgsweeper.htm. Take my word for it, once you get the hang of using DgSweeper while dungeoneering, it will become your new best friend.

So why is DgSweeper so great? As I just mentioned in the previous section, this utility contains a plethora of functionality that is useful in various ways for dungeoneering. To start off, it displays an image of the dungeon map right next to your Runescape game screen. Every time you view the map in-game, it basically takes that image and displays it on the side. This way, if you need to look at the map, you don't have to stop what you're doing in order to do so, and this also gives you a handy way of viewing the map at all times. You can adjust the size and transparency of the map for your own personal pleasure and preference.

Another function (my favorite) of DgSweeper is the ability to place keys on the map. What I mean is that next to the map displayed, there are two columns with all the various colors and key shapes available in dungeoneering. One can simply choose the color and shape of a key door, and mark it on the square on this map in the client. This is extremely useful because it allows you to not only know what key doors there are, but exactly where they are on the map with respect to each other and to all the party members, especially you. This is really helpful, allowing you to figure out where to keep the group gatestone or where to have people place gates (gates should be placed in areas or paths, not at doors, unless a single door or two is the only option on that path or in a certain dungeon area).

A few of the other things that DgSweeper can do are display the party members and the colored triangle associated with that player, so that you don't need to open the map in-game and hover over the triangle for a few seconds to figure out who a person is. You can also display the timer right below the client map to keep track of your dungeon time so far. The timer automatically starts when you open the map for the first time in the dungeon, or you can start it yourself when he dungeon begins. Finally, you can save maps. If you have map saving enabled, it will save an image of the current map every time you click on the map icon in-game to update the map via DgSweeper. This is quite useful for saving maps you want to show others for whatever reason, or to use for guides, like I did for this one :P.

One problem you might encounter with DgSweeper is the navigation bar. If you have the navigation bar enabled/disabled when playing RS, make sure to right click the tray icon for DgSweeper and change navigation to Yes/No, respectively.

While at first, using this may slow you down a little bit, over time you'll come to learn how to use DgSweeper without wasting a single second during the entire dungeon. At this point, the utility doesn't slow me down at all, and I am always doing something while using it, whether running across a room or attacking a monster. I recommend trying DgSweeper out at least, and if you don't like it you can remove it, but it's worth a shot!
Last edited by Kevinsaurus on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:29 pm

4.1 Suicide Keying

Suicide keying is one of those things that, like regular keying, takes a lot of time to get good at and perfect. The binds for suicide keying are extremely important as well.

Suicide keyers should always have a weapon bound of course, preferably a primal or promethium 2h. A hexhunter bow should also be bound if one has it (this applies to everyone in general). After that, second/third and third/fourth binds should be some sort of body armor (primal platebody or Sagittarian body) and optionally, a blood necklace (although primal gauntlets or primal boots work too). Do not bind a shadow silk hood. The reason for these binds is the strength boost they provide. The boots and gauntlets (or blood necklace) will help gds and rooms go by faster in general, which is what is needed when you're suicide keying. If one has the chance to bind a blood necklace, I would recommend binding the blood necklace over one of the boots or gauntlets slot if they have one free or available because of its hitpoint boosting effect, which can help with certain bosses and save you in some crucial situations, as well as for its ability to damage monsters. As for the body armor bind, primal platebody is suggested. I personally have a Sagittarian body bound, however, in order to mix it up for the teams I'm on, and to help me really destroy monsters with my hexhunter bow. In addition, I'm also somewhat of a lazy person. I don't really like taking off a primal platebody every time I want to range, so I settled for a Sagittarian body, which allows me to do less clicking, while enhancing my ranged (although it does hurt my melee attack bonuses to an extent).

As for the actual keying itself, the general idea is the same. Although a suicide keyer should not be worried about dying, it is still nice to have a couple of salve eels in one's inventory in case they are needed for some particular reason. Sometimes you want to be able to open a door or do a path without having to make a gatestone in fear of dying because you already have somewhere else important gated. This is where having food comes in handy. Keep in mind though that this is for the benefit of the dungeon time, not for survival purposes. Don't heal up to survive all the time if you're suicide keying or people might get upset.

Since you shouldn't be afraid of dying, don't worry about using up your prayer by turmoiling. You should be turmoiling all monsters to ensure quick kills. It is nice and helpful, however, to save a little bit of prayer for activating wrath. Wrath can speed up gds and help out your party members with its effect as well.

In abandoned and warped floors, if possible and if you have time, I recommend creating the highest tier bloodrager you can for the boss, along with scrolls of course. It's basically useless on occult floors, especially for thunderous, flesh spoiler, necrolord, and the runebound behemoth because of their respective weaknesses already. The only boss I might use a bloodrager ever on in an occult floor is gravecreeper, because a ragered down gravecreeper is easily hexable. Apart from that, the skeletal trio should be handled according to the combat triangle. With suicide keying, deaths will provide opportunities for an additional quick three special moves from the bloodrager each time, tremendously lowering boss defenses. This can make killing a boss much faster and easier.

At the end of the day, there really isn't much difference between regular keying and suicide keying. When suicide keying, one less person helping with the dungeon means that gds will go slower in general, which is why I encourage turmoil flashing in general. In addition, you will be short one gatestone, which makes using gatestones appropriately all the more important. Ultimately, you're trying to get as fast of a dungeon as possible, so just keep that in mind when making all your decisions.
Last edited by Kevinsaurus on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:38 pm

5.1 Dungeoneering Abbreviations and Terminology

It's that time of the year! Time to learn… chat lingo! For Dungeoneering. This list will pretty much cover any and every abbreviation you might ever need to know, encounter, or use when dungeoneering. I know the list looks long at first, but many of the things are similar, and once you get in the groove of dungeoneering, a lot of this becomes practical knowledge or common sense.

Key Shapes / Types

Crescent – cr
Corner – co
Pentagon – p
Shield – s
Rectangle – r
Diamond – d
Triangle – t
Wedge – w

Key Colors
Blue – b
Gold – go
Green – gr
Purple – p
Yellow – y
Orange – o
Crimson – c
Silver – s

Keys are named by color and then shape / type. For example, instead of saying "“blue pentagon”, you'd say "“bp”. Another example is instead of saying "“crimson diamond”, say "“cd”. It's very important to distinguish between gold and green, as well as between crescent and corner, so as to not cause confusion. To say "“gold crescent”, you need to say "“gocr” to be clear. And for "“green corner”, make sure to say "“grco”.

Rooms / Puzzles

Note: Some are not mentioned here because they are so simple and easy to figure out there is never a reason to say them. Also note that there may be multiple ways of naming puzzles and rooms, but this is just how I do it, and I've never had a problem with anybody not understanding me. I also provide information on how to do the puzzle if there is an easy / nice way.

Gd - Guardian Door
Stats - Statues (I use this for all statue rooms generically, although it's good to specify 10 or 3)
Polter – Poltergeist – Spam your number pad by holding down the right number to pick herbs. Helps to have anti lurers too to tank monster hits so you can access the farming patch menu.
Color ferret - Colored Ferret room – Make sure to stay at least 2 squares away from a ferret. If you need to get one out of a corner, scare it, then run under it.
Fish ferret - Fishing Ferret room - Puzzles should be doable in 2 fish. Remember, the ferret moves diagonally first, then straight. Use this to your advantage.
Mono – Monolith – Have a person on hex the whole time to snipe and jump on shades quickly.
Ramo - Ramokee Familiars Room – Of course, take out the skinweaver first. Afterwards, if you're hexed, you should be targeting stormbringer, while if you don't have a hex, you should be attacking the deathslinger. If you have mage, you should be targeting the bloodrager.
Ports - Portals – Choose one of the three directions and just follow opposite doors until you get to the middle. One of the three doors is bound to have this work.
Construct - Repair Broken Construct
Barrel - Barrels – Use double pushes to your advantage.
Levers – Levers – If someone is doing two levers, don't rely on counting. Pull your lever when that person moves from the first to second lever.
Emotes - Emotes / Follow the Leader
Agil – Agility skill room – Bring the group gatestone over rather than opening the doors and making people wait
Blocks – Blocks room – Have one person get the vials while everyone else pushes the blocks
Bridge – Bridge room
Constat – Construction room with statue that needs to be pushed
Frem – Fremmenik room
Maze – Maze room – The keyer should not be retrieving a key if there is one, someone else should
Mining – Mining room with rocks in the way
Riddle – Riddles room with Enigmatic Hoardstalker – Should memorize answers to these
Merc – Mercenary Leader room – Send your hexes here together
Pond – Pondskater Room – Just guess, don't wait
Ghost – Ghosts room – Hexes really help here
Rc room – Tile flipping Runecrafting room
Seeker – Sentinels room
Lodestone – Generally refers to the one with the crystal and the stepping stones. Jump over the middle gap forward twice, then head east or west once accordingly to dodge the orb, and then go straight to the end. This allows completion the fastest and does not require a gatestone.
sum/con/craft/smith/herb/fm/wc door, etc. – Generic Skill Doors

Generic Terms

C# (c1, c2, c6 generally) - Dungeon complexity
N, S, E, W – Cardinal Directions
Crit – Critical path, the path which leads to the boss or includes the boss room
Bonus – Bonus path or room, one which does not lead to the boss
s/l Suicide Keyer with Leech
ggs - Group Gatestone
gs - Personal Gatestone
ssh - Shadow Silk Hood
bn - Blood Necklace
hex - Hexhunter Bow
csb – Celestial Surgebox
path - Path of rooms (also a command)
denk - Dead end no key
dewk - Dead end with key
> or -> - Tell what a door or room leads to
vml - Valerian/Magebane/Lycopus, herbs needed for pots such as Artisan's and Survivalist's
sww - Sagewort/Wormwood/Winter's Grip, herbs needed for pots such as Gatherer's and Naturalist's

Commands / Actions

Gt - Group Teleport
Gtgd - Group Teleport to Guardian Door
Bgt - Buy Group Gatestone –asking for the group gatestone to move it somewhere or hold it
Hgt - Hold Group Gatestone – telling someone to hold the group gatestone for something
Dgt – Drag Group Gatestone – Telling somebody to hold and carry the group gatestone with them along a path
Sgt – Selling Group Gatestone – leaving the group gatestone for someone else to take or move
Mgt – Move Group Gatestone – telling someone to move the group gatestone
Ht - Home Teleport
Gate or G8 - Make a personal gatestone and gate this (usually followed by room name or key door)
Wyg - What's Your Gate - asking someone what their current gate is
Buy or Buying – Used for asking for something generically
Sell or Selling – Used for giving something away generically
Path - Tell someone to go along a path in the dungeon
Fg – Technically not a command, but saying that you don't have anything gated at the moment
Gdm – Guardian Door Marked, telling people to go do it
Gtb – Gate to Boss – Telling people to teleport to the boss
Gto – Gate to Open – Telling someone to group gatestone teleport to open a door or do a puzzle room
Gte – Gate to End – Telling everyone to group gatestone teleport to the end of the dungeon
Gh – Got Herb – Telling people you have an herb (possibly telling people you're making a pot)
Last edited by Kevinsaurus on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:39 pm

6.1 Conclusion

In conclusion, keep in mind that this is just a guide I created because I have no social life... I mean... out of personal preference for keying. Feel free to key in any manner you would like. For example, you could simply get 99 thieving and pick open every single door in the dungeon. You could also persuade Jagex to give you a bulldozer and drive through the walls straight to the boss. Finally, everyone in the party could leech until someone gets tired and decides to solo the floor themselves. Anyways… this is simply a suggestion with tactics that I have found dramatically helpful in allowing me to go from 40 minute dungeons to 4 hour dungeons... I mean… 12-17 minute dungeons when I key now.

If you have any suggestions, or comments, please feel free to leave them and let me know. If there are any criticisms, or if you believe there are better ways to do something than described in this guide, or you believe something is just simply wrong, please do let me know (either reply, send me a private message, or tell me in-game). I appreciate any and all help in making this a better guide!

Thanks for reading, and good luck with all your keying and dungeoneering endeavors!

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:41 pm

7.1 Acknowledegments

Thanks to Dave for helping me understand a few dungeoneering things I didn't quite know, and for introducing me to DgSweeper. Thanks also to Evan (The Orange) for a reference to his slang dictionary. Finally, thanks to Brand (Starwolf) for helping to look over this guide a couple of times and providing feedback. And thank YOU, for taking the time to read this guide. I hope it helps.

~ Kev (Kevinsaurus)
[center][url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Kevinsaurus][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/t5lejie/ ... saurus.png[/img][/url]
[sig]2012_08_magic2.png[/sig][/center]

Imp334
Inactive
RSN: Sqwire

Post by Imp334 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:55 am

Donations of negative gp are accepted? so... you'll pay me if I read this? Better get started!

EDIT: Very nice guide, lots of useful information here. I think I'll have to download DGsweeper now :P I'd definately recommend to read this guide
Only negative thing I saw was with the map pictures, it looked like you were asking questions but didn't answer them so I wasn't sure if I guessed correctly or not lol
Proud Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Kevinsaurus

Post by Kevinsaurus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:05 am

Imp334 wrote:Donations of negative gp are accepted? so... you'll pay me if I read this? Better get started!

EDIT: Very nice guide, lots of useful information here. I think I'll have to download DGsweeper now :P I'd definately recommend to read this guide
Only negative thing I saw was with the map pictures, it looked like you were asking questions but didn't answer them so I wasn't sure if I guessed correctly or not lol
Thanks Imp :)

And as for the unanswered questions, such as the question as to why the team would head north rather than south, they're just to get you thinking a bit to put you in a dungeoneering mindset. They're not supposed to be very difficult or anything. Like for that one for instance, the answer could simply be like an emotes or levers room or a merc or ramo or something =p.
[center][url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Kevinsaurus][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/t5lejie/ ... saurus.png[/img][/url]
[sig]2012_08_magic2.png[/sig][/center]