Aviansies- a quick guide

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

lil zipperz
Inactive
RSN: zZIPPERZz

Aviansies- a quick guide

Post by lil zipperz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 am

I've had a few people asking about these, so I thought I would share my strategies.

Aviansies are a great source of range xp and money. These minions of Armadyl are flying beasts and as such cannot be harmed with melee. As followers of Armadyl, they use a ranged attack. They are known for their generous drops of noted adamantite bars. Contrary to popular belief, the God Wars Dungeon is not overly dangerous, provided you equip yourself properly.

It is recommended that you have the following:

70+ Range
50+ Defence (although possible with 1 Defence!)
50+ Prayer (this is optional with high Defence)
60 Strength OR 60 Agility

Helpful also to have:

Completed Eadger's Ruse (for Trollheim Teleport)
Completed Temple of Ikov (for an Armadyl Pendant)

From the Knowledge Base:

More than two thousand years ago, the lands of RuneScape were torn and scorched during the greatest war ever waged: the god wars. During this time, the gods sent their mightiest minions to walk among their followers, gathering them to battle and, inevitably, to their deaths. In modern-day RuneScape, the Wilderness is the scar that this war left.

In recent times, though, the sheer number of adventurers wandering the land have had a remarkable environmental effect - something akin to global warming from the massive numbers of logs burnt* has thawed a place best forgotten. Now, freed from their icy stasis, the warriors that went to fight in one of the last great battles of the god wars have returned to life, without the slightest inkling that their war ended so long ago.

The God Wars Dungeon is a ginormous multicombat area. Normally this might be a concern for the new GWD'er, but there is a unique aspect to "the most dangerous place in Runescape" according to Jagex. What is misleading about the actual peril one might expect is that the minions spend most of their time fighting each other. In short the gods Zamorak, Saradomin, Bandos, and Armadyl each have an army of minions, whom will attack anyone not displaying allegiance to their god. You can do this by equipping an item that represents each faction. Please note that if one is here strictly to fight aviansies, a Bandos item is not required, as the minions are easily avoidable. If you do not have a Saradomin, Zamorak, and Armadyl item equipped at all times you will be piled by their respective factions and possibly killed very quickly.

How you choose a setup depends on your levels. I will describe the 3 main methods of fighting.

Normal (Range Attack) Setup
This is optimum if you have a decent defence level of around 70 or so. It is possible to use this setup if you have a lower defence, although more healing will be required for extended trips. It focuses on range attack bonus, so you will deal damage more efficiently.

In order of Ideal > Good > Passable

Helm: Armadyl helm > Zammy or Sara coif > Ranger helm > Zammy or Sara mitre
Neck: Range ammy > Fury > Glory > Armadyl pendant (required if only armadyl item) > Holy/Unholy symbol
Body: Armadyl plate > Zammy or Sara dhide body > Karil's top > Black dhide
Legs: Armadyl skirt > Zammy or Sara chaps > Karil's skirt > Black dhide
Wrist: Barrows gloves > Regen bracelet > Zammy or Sara vambs > Black vambs
Shield: Blessed Spirit Shield > Toktz-ket-xil/ Granite > DFS > Crystal > Zammy or Sara book
Cape: Ava's > Zammy or Sara cape
Bolts: Broad > Emerald (e) > Adamant > Mithril
Weapon: Rune crossbow > knives (mith or better)
Boots - Rangers' Boots > Snakeskin
Ring - Onyx Ring (i) > Diamond Ring (i) > Archers' (i) > Archers' > Ring of Life > Wealth

"Tank" (Range Defence) Setup
This setup is for those with a high range level of 85+ and is intended to give a high range defence. The slightly lower rate of killing is offset by the need for little or no food. A tank setup can last at aviansies for hundreds, if not thousands of kills.

Helm: Torag's > Archer helm > Zammy or Sara coif > Neitiznot
Neck: Fury > Glory > Range ammy > Armadyl pendant > Holy/Unholy Symbol
Body: Armadyl plate > Zammy or Sara dhide body > Karil's top > Black dhide
Legs: Bandos tasset > Barrows legs > Dragon skirt/legs > Z or S plateskirt/legs > Rune
Sheild: DFS > Crystal > Toktz-ket-xil/ Granite > Blessed Spirit Shield > D square > Zammy or Sara kite
Cape: Ava's > Zammy or Sara cape
Bolts: Broad > Emerald (e) > Adamant > Mithril
Weapon: Rune crossbow > knives (mith or better)
Ring - Onyx Ring (i) > Diamond Ring (i) > Archers' (i) > Archers' > Ring of Life > Wealth

Prayer Setup
This setup is for range pures, or anyone with a low defence. This method is very safe but the cost of prayer potions will reduce your profit, and you will need to leave the dungeon once you are out of potions. You will be using the Protect from Missiles prayer whilst under attack from any aviansies. If you have a fast connection, and are familiar with Prayer Flashing, this can also be utilized. You have to observe the animation of their attack to get the timing for this. It is belived that the Protect Missiles must be activated by the time the aviansie starts the throwing motion of the axe or javelin. I don't advocate this method at all, but the possibility exists for extremely advanced players. If you are familiar with this method of combat, your expertise may well be out of the scope of this guide.

Helm: Zammy or Sara mitre > Verac's helm > Zammy or Sara coif > Black coif
Neck: Zammy or Sara stole > Holy/Unholy symbol
Body: Monk top > Zammy or Sara robetop
Legs: Armadyl skirt > Zammy or Sara chaps > Black dhide chaps
Shield: Elysian Spirit shield (!$!) > Zammy or Sara book > Falador shield 2/3
Cape: Soul Wars cape > Ardougne Cloak > Ava's > Zammy or Sara cape
Ring - Explorer's > Onyx Ring (i) > Diamond Ring (i) > Archers' (i) > Archers' > Ring of Life > Wealth

My own equipment:
Helm: Sara coif
Neck: Fury
Body: Armadyl plate
Legs: Armadyl skirt
Wrist: Regen bracelet
Shield: Crystal
Cape: Ava's
Boots: Snakeskin
Ring: Life (i occasionally afk here LOL)

Familiar: Zamorak hawk

A few notes on equipment:
a Holy and Unholy symbol are a Saradomin and Zamorak item, respectively. Monk robes are also a Sara item. All the other god items should be self explanatory. If you have the Saradomin owl or Zamorak hawk adult pets, these also count as god items. If you bring a pet as an item, you will need to bring regular fishing bait to feed it. The Armadyl pendant is a quest item from Temple of Ikov. If you have lost it, or obtained a Pendant of Lucien during the quest, another can be reobtained by doing the following.

from the Wikia:

To obtain/re-obtain the Armadyl Pendant (after Temple of Ikov):

To reach the Guardians of Armadyl after the quest, players can use a Shiny key to unlock the door to the shed on the Northern edge of McGrubor's Wood, climb down the ladder to the Temple of Ikov dungeon, and then run west to the Guardian's headquarters. If players do not have one, they must proceed through the dungeon starting from its entrance North of Ardougne. In order to access the dungeon, players must be wearing the Pendant of Lucien, which Lucien (or the Local Thug) will provide freely.

Once entering the dungeon players must take the North gate then proceed out the Northern exit of the first room. Ignoring the small room with the lever, they must then run west to the site where they fought the Fire Warrior of Lesarkus, who will not appear again. Players then talk to Winelda, who will teleport the player across the lava, this time without asking for any Limpwurt roots. Players then run North until they reach a ladder (which leads up to McGrubor's Wood), then West, where they will reach the Guardian's headquarters. It is recommended that players run further West, then South past the lesser demons, to pick up a Shiny Key, which will make future trips much faster.

Inventory

¤ Teleport out (Tele tabs for this) <-- used if you are new. 1 click in case things get out of hand quickly
¤ Bones to Peaches tablets <-- Experiment with this after your 1st trip. The higher your range and defence grows, you will use fewer tabs per kill. Start with about 50
¤ 100 Nature Runes <-- Don't worry, you will accumulate more than you use.
¤ 500 Fire Runes /Staff <-- Use runes if you have them. This eliminates the possiblity of alching your crossbow (which I have done :huh:)
¤ 4 Ranging Potions (4 dose) this is optional. They will pay for themselves with the faster kills. Also useful for running noobs out who insist on trying to steal your kills
¤ Enhanced Excalibur <-- if you have it. Useful for boosting def and lp
¤ Mith Grapple (Optional (for eyrie))
¤ Climbing Boots (Optional (for walking)) If you don't have them bring 12gp and buy from the sherpa Tienzeng on the way.
¤ Games Necklace (Optional (for walking))
¤ 2 Law Runes (Optional (for tele)) To Trollheim.
¤ If using Prayer method, bring 12+ prayer potions
¤ Fill rest of inventory with good food

*IF GOING TO THE GOD WARS DUNGEON FOR THE FIRST TIME, BRING A ROPE

How to get there

If you have not completed Eadger's Ruse:

¤ Use a Games Necklace to teleport to the Games Room. Go to the Rogue's Den under the bar and deposit your games necklace. Make any final adjustments to equipment or inventory.
¤ Head to Tienzeng's Hut by following the path north of the training area to the west. If you need a pair of climbing boots, speak to Tienzeng and purchase a pair for a whopping 12 gp. Equip them and head out the back over the stile.
¤ Follow the path until you find some rocks you can climb over. (you need your climbing boots equipped) Continue along the path climbing over the rocks, when you see a goat take the path north and to the east. Make your way in an easterly fashion until you see a gate with Dad (the troll).
¤ Say hello to Dad, proceed out the gate to the north, and follow the path into a cave.
¤ Go into the cave and out the other side.
¤ You will now be on a circular path counter-clockwise near Trollheim.
¤ When you see 4 or 5 yellow dots on your minimap (these are thrower trolls) activate your Protect from Missiles prayer.
¤ Run to the white path to the north (at 12 o'clock), take the first turn to the north that you can. If you move to the northernmost part of this path you can turn off your Protect from Missiles prayer. You will see a large rock to the north and a crack to the east. You can move the rock (with 60 strength) or squeeze through the crack (with 60 agility). Pause here as this is the entrance to the Temple Ruins. Skip ahead to * * *

If you have completed Eadgar's Ruse

¤ Use the Trollheim teleport.
¤ Walk down the mountain and head to the northern path.
¤ When you see 4 or 5 yellow dots on your minimap (these are thrower trolls) activate your Protect from Missiles prayer.
¤ Run to the white path to the north (at 12 o'clock), take the first turn to the north that you can. If you move to the northernmost part of this path you can turn off your Protect from Missiles prayer. You will see a large rock to the north and a crack to the east. You can move the rock (with 60 strength) or squeeze through the crack (with 60 agility). Pause here as this is the entrance to the Temple Ruins.

You will see snow on your screen. You have reached the entrance to the Temple Ruins, the entrance to God Wars Dungeon. Push the rock (60 strength required) or squeeze through the crack (60 agility required) to enter the Temple Ruins.

Upon entering this section, the biting cold will cause 10 damage every few seconds, and reduce your run to 0. Do not panic, and turn on your Protect from Melee and proceed north. Wolves will try to attack you here. If you are here for the first time, talk to an injured Knight on the ground to the north quickly. He will give a you a message to deliver to the White Knights in Falador, quickly end this conversation. Use a rope on the entrance (you will only have to do this the first time) and climb down into the dungeon. You can read or deliver the notes if you want, there is no penalty for simply dropping them.
Congratulations, you have entered the fabled God Wars Dungeon!

When you first enter you will see a lot of fighting and chaos. Feel free now to drop your 12gp climbing boots and re-equip your rangers or snakeskins. Head to the south, this is where the aviansies are located.

Aviansies have a very wide range of levels, from 69 to 148. I suggest looking around a bit to see which ones spawn together. It is not recommended to attack any right-click avians unless you have observed them being considerably weakened by other monsters. A tactic for lower level players may be to fight aviansies that are already engaged in combat with another NPC. There is a Gorak that seems to be constantly attacking aviansies. One could easily follow him around and prolong your stay if running low on food or prayer.

If you have brought a mith grapple you can enter the Eyrie. There are many more aviansies in the eyrie, but I find it easier to scavenge bones in the main area. If you do not have a grapple, you can ask a player near the entrance to grab you one out of the crate. A player may drop a grapple they have, then search the crate for another one. This can only be done about once a minute.

General tips for killing
*Sip your ranging potion when needed. I like to keep mine at least 2-3 levels above my range.
*Find several spawns you are comfortable with. You may be here awhile..
*When you begin to eat food, replace the food with a bone. I recommend trying to have at least 8 bones when you use a bones to peaches tab. When you get a 5 swordfish drop, bury the bones or eat peaches.
*If using an Enhanced Excalibur, just check the special bar and your defence level periodically.
*if using a Healing familiar, you can bring a lot less food, and possibly more ranging potions.
*if using prayer, sip your potions as needed. You will want your quick-prayer button selected to Protect from Missiles.

What to pick up

*Bones-- if you have space
*Feathers-- optional
*Air Runes
*Water Runes
*Nature Runes
*Blood Runes-- optional
*Law Runes-- optional
*Swordfish x5
*Rune Dagger (p+) -- alch these
*Runite limbs-- alch these
*Noted Addy bars-- Duhh! these drop 4x
*Rannars-- optional
*Adamantite helms-- alch these
*Half keys

--It should be mentioned that should you run low on fire runes, you can kill pyrefiends. They drop a fair amount of fire runes and occasionally a firestaff.

Profit will vary from person to person. Estimates range from 200k an hour for a level 70 ranged, to 450k an hour for someone with high range. It is estimated that if one ranged aviansies from 70-99 you may accumulate a total of 140 million gp in adamantite bars! It should be noted that the Ring of Wealth does not affect adamantite drop rates, as it is not considered a rare drop.
Last edited by lil zipperz on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Zzipperzz][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/purple/p ... pperzz.png[/img][/url][img]http://koaclan.info/sigs/2011-07_Fishing_2nd.jpg[/img]

[color=#BF0040]Most of my posts are unsuitable for any sort of work, or home viewing.[/color]
[color=#40BF80][b]There is no Real Life, only AFK[/b][/color]

lil zipperz
Inactive

Re: Aviansies- a quick guide

Post by lil zipperz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:46 am

For Sunni

I wrote this a couple years ago- I will update it with all the new equips going forward.
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Zzipperzz][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/purple/p ... pperzz.png[/img][/url][img]http://koaclan.info/sigs/2011-07_Fishing_2nd.jpg[/img]

[color=#BF0040]Most of my posts are unsuitable for any sort of work, or home viewing.[/color]

Sunni Ray
RSN: Sunni Ray

Post by Sunni Ray » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks Zip! :)

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Many thanks, Zip!
morituri te salutant

lil zipperz
Inactive

Post by lil zipperz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Anyone that regularly does these / Armadyl post some of the new equipment I need to add... if you would. I'm aware of all the newer God hides and such, Nex items etc.

I'm a lot broker [hacked] since I wrote this, so I really haven't used any of the new range stuff.

Suggestions/ input/ feedback appreciated.

pursue
RSN: starzor

Post by pursue » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Beautiful guide. :D