Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Kaejer
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Kaejer

Barbarian Rod Fishing

Post by Kaejer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:21 am

Barbarian Rod Fishing

First you have to have done this part in the mini-quest of Barbarian Training. It's fairly simple, but if you can't figure out how to do it go here.

Here is the location of where you can Barbarian Rod Fish. The easiest way to get there is to use a Games Necklace and teleport to Barbarian Assault, then follow the directions on this map:

To start, you can use feathers, fish-offcuts, roe, and caviar for bait. There are three kinds of fish you can catch with this type of fishing - Leaping Trout, Salmon, and Sturgeon. All of these fish are caught fairly frequently, plus they give great experience comparable to fly fishing. The bonus to these fish are they can be cut open with a knife to give you fish-offcuts(works as fishing bait), roe(used to make fishy mix potions with Herblore), and caviar(used to make higher level fishy mix potions with Herblore). The fish alone are basically worthless until cut into caviar.

List of Leaping Fish:
  • ImageLeaping Trout - Requires 48 Fishing and 15 Strength & Agility; gives 50 Fishing and 5 Strength & Agility experience.
  • ImageLeaping Salmon - Requires 58 Fishing and 30 Strength & Agility; gives 70 Fishing and 6 Strength & Agility experience.
  • ImageLeaping Sturgeon - Requires 70 Fishing and 45 Strength & Agility; gives 80 Fishing and 7 Strength & Agility experience.
The Strength & Agility experience seems small, but on average if you fish 1,000,000 Fishing experience you will also get about 90,000 Strength/Agility experience. Fishing is very fast so 1,000,000 experience may sound like a long time, but it really isn't so bad.

Barbarian Rod Fishing is actually very similar to Fly Fishing. You can do basically the exact same thing, but Barbarian Rod Fishing has the bonus of giving you roe/caviar and fish-offcuts(essentially recycling bait). This type of fishing also gives decent Strength and Agility experience on top of great Fishing experience. The only minor fault is it is not as quick as Fly Fishing in Shilo Village, but it is so very close that it barely matters.

Now onto the actual fishing.

Barbarian Rod Fishing Methods:
  • Fish similar to fly fishing with lots of feathers, but drop or bank the fish.
  • Fish with feathers originally and continue by cutting fish to receive fish-offcuts to use as bait; drop the roe and caviar.
  • After fishing a load of fish, cut them open and keep the fish off-cuts (10 cooking experience per cut), run to the closest bank and deposit the roe and caviar(roe sells for dirt, but caviar sells for about 500g each). A faster way of doing this is to use Rings of Dueling(made with Crafting) to teleport to Castle Wars and bank real quick, then use a Games Necklace(made with Crafting) to teleport back to the Barbarian Outpost to go south and fish more.
Or my preferred method, which is to reuse the fish off-cuts and roe/caviar as bait. Use a knife on a fish and it will Cut-X all of the fish of one type (10 cooking experience per cut), so you will have to do Cut-X 3 times.. Basically after you cut open your fish you can drop the fish off-cuts and use the roe/caviar as bait. If you somehow manage to not get many roe or caviar when cutting, just use some of the fish off-cuts to fill your inventory up some more.

At this point you have two options, one is to fish by using the fish off-cuts to fill up the small amount of space remaining in your inventory. Two is drop the fish-offcuts and fish with just the remaining roe and caviar. I fished with just the roe and caviar for about a month and only had to use fish-offcuts to make up for lost roe/caviar as bait about 3 or 4 times(the reason why you lose space is because leaping trout has a 50% chance of giving roe and 50% chance of giving nothing).

Guide created by Kaejer.
Last edited by Kaejer on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:28 am, edited 10 times in total.

Mannichester
RSN: Mannichester

Re: Barbarian Rod Fishing

Post by Mannichester » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:06 am

Great guide, i always loved barb fishing from the day it came to us. :D

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Post by Hid » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:55 am

Great guide Kaejer! Thanks for putting it up the forums
KoA achievements

9_red_monkey
Inactive
RSN: 9 red monkey

Post by 9_red_monkey » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:25 pm

the best part of this for me is that u get agility. I hate training it.

Garnoidish
RSN: The Beef

Post by Garnoidish » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:37 pm

interesting, thanks for this little guide.

jdo87
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Jdo87

Post by jdo87 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:39 pm

good to know thx

4815th person to 99 Hunter
Quest Point cape earned 5/6/2009, regained 9/11/2020

kinkymare
Inactive
RSN: kinkymare

Post by kinkymare » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:10 pm

great guide! i like barb fishing, and save the caviar to use on my low lvl pots.

also, i use the deposit box just inside the barbarian minigame building to bank... not sure if anyone had tried that. :)