Little pyramid plunder guide

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Little pyramid plunder guide

Post by Hid » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:00 pm

Thieving – Pyramid Plunder (pp)

I think most people know how to play this game. This is just an explanation of the way I play it and the way I think you get the most xp.

First of all, getting a sceptre before seriously training, really helps. I have been waiting till level 92 before I bought one at GE, cause I thought I was bound to get one soon anyway. Did get lucky at level 94, but it ain't worth the waiting. Helpful for fast teleport back and forth to the pyramid, and even more helpful when you haven't done the quest "“Contact”, and therefore can't use the Sophanem bank.

Second: Pyramid plunder worlds suck. I tried them out, and I made less xp there than playing it on my own. The reason for this is that the doors change really fast, because there are so many people in the Pyramid. Furthermore there are always a lot of people who release the mummy, who really enjoy attacking and bugging you, and thus slowing you down.

The best condition for playing pp is to do it with 2 or 3 people who have access to the same rooms as you do. You just got to keep an eye on them to see which door is the right one, and follow them.

PP-tips:
1. Always keep an eye on other players and on scarabs/mummies. If another player finds the right door, this will be the right door for you too. Unless it changes in the time you need between going there and him going through. This rarely happens if you don't wait too long and if there are not too many people playing at the same time. If another player tries a door and runs to the next one, you don't have to try that door yourself anymore. Seeing a mummy or scarab in front of a door is a good hint too, it means another player just left through that door and it can still be the right one.

2. Don't take lockpicks. Sure they help opening the door, but you also get only 50 % of the xp for opening the door

3. Don't charm snakes, it helps, cause you don't get bitten by the snake, but it slows you down and you get less xp. Better would be just to loot the urn, and if you get bitten check for snakes. After checking for it, loot again. The chances of getting bitten again is greatly reduced when the snake already popped out.

4. Do not open sarcophagues, they don't give thieving xp anyway, and the chance of getting a sceptre are very small. I only got one in 12,5 m xp.

5. You don't need an empty inventory spot to open chests, if you are so lucky to find a sceptre and you have a full inventory, you will just end up outside of the pyramid with the sceptre lying to your feet.

6. A prayer book can be really useful to heal poison. You only have to wear a holy symbol, and it barely costs any prayer points at all. Personally I only use it after being done with the round, doing it before just slows me down, and it doesn't make you immune to poison anyway. You can of course just use a super anti-poison potion too. You get the prayer book after completing the quest "“The great brain robbery”.

7. Plan your time wisely. Personally I only open the chest in the last three rooms I can do, and open it as last thing I do in that room, cause the scarabs just bug you and slow you down. When getting to the second highest possible room, I loot urns, till the green bar reaches the letters "“qu” in the word "“required”. After that I have a go at the chest and will try to find the right door to the next room. If someone else just went through the right door, I just loot another urn, since I probably don't need to waste time searching for the right door. In the last room just loot as long as you can, most of the time I end up with no time left when having looted the last urn.

8. Banking: There are two good ways to bank. If you did the quest "“Contact” you can use the Sophanem bank. If you haven't done it, and you got yourself a sceptre, just bank in castle wars bank, using your duelling ring, and teleport back to the pyramid. That is the fastest method.

9. Don't forget to recharge your sceptre. It is really annoying standing in the cw bank and getting the message your sceptre ain't charged. Charging costs 6 gold artefacts or 12 stone or 24 pottery/ivory.

10. Use familiars. There are two useful familiars for pyramid plunder, the bunyip and the spirit terrorbird. The bunyip constantly heals you and the spirit terrorbird can get your energy up and carry food for you.

11. Bring super energy potions, unless you use the spirit terrorbird and bring "“tireless-run” scrolls.

12. Use weight-reducing clothes, like spottier/spotted capes and boots of lightness.

13. Rotate the screen to see if the door opens, or watch the text box to see if it says "“attempt fails”. Nothing worse than leaving out a door, cause you didn't see that it didn't open.

14. If you did the quest "“Dealing with Scabaras” you can sell your stone artefacts in a noted form to Simon Templeton. You could even make money with this method, since people sell their stone artefacts to a cheaper price than you get back from Templeton. You can only buy 100 of every stone artefact every 4 hours, so don't expect to make a big profit from it.

That's about all the tips I can think of at the moment. I will update it, if I can think of more.

Just some Data which may be useful:

Xp per room: (only last 4 rooms, cause I can't make a decent excel table in the post).
If you check an urn for snakes, you only get the difference between normal loot and snake check, for looting it afterwards. The thieving xp per urn looted (for example 300 in room 5) is the maximum possible for an urn, no matter if checking before or not.

Room 5 (level 61): 70k – 85k xp per hour when this is your last room
Thieving xp per chest looted: 200
Theiving xp per urn checked: 200
Thieving xp per urn looted: 300
Thieving xp per door without lockpick: 200

Room 6 (level 71): 100k – 125k xp per hour when this is your last room
Thieving xp per chest looted: 300
Theiving xp per urn checked: 300
Thieving xp per urn looted: 450
Thieving xp per door without lockpick: 300

Room 7 (level 81): 150k – 175k xp per hour when this is your last room
Thieving xp per chest looted: 450
Theiving xp per urn checked: 450
Thieving xp per urn looted: 675
Thieving xp per door without lockpick: 450

Room 8 (level 91): 200k – 230k xp per hour when this is your last room
Thieving xp per chest looted: 550
Theiving xp per urn checked: 550
Thieving xp per urn looted: 825
Thieving xp per door without lockpick: ---

Artefacts:

Ivory comb: 50 gp
Pottery scarab: 75 gp
Pottery statuette: 100 gp
Stone seal: 150 gp
Stone scarab: 175 gp
Stone statuette: 200 gp
Gold seal: 750 gp
Gold scarab: 1000 gp
Gold statuette: 1250 gp

I hope this helps when playing the minigame.

I'll try to get a guide for blackjacking Pollniveach bandits and menaphites up too, but not today. It ain't my favourite method, somehow it bugs me lol, but it is supposed to be even better thieving xp at lower levels than pyramid plunder.
KoA achievements

Garnoidish
RSN: The Beef

Re: Little pyramid plunder guide

Post by Garnoidish » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:36 pm

good tips yet again Hid ;)

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Very nice guide. :)

Do you have to do a quest in order to do PP? I've never tried PP. That might be the reason. lol (note to self, finish Contact! quest)

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Post by Hid » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:49 pm

Itcharin's little helper gives you access to Sophanem if I remember right.
KoA achievements

beefeater555
RSN: UNCLE LER0Y

Post by beefeater555 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:38 am

Great Guide (as usual) ;)

Thanks