GWD - Armadyl Solo

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Dave
RSN: Neltak

GWD - Armadyl Solo

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:28 pm

I'll start off by saying this isn't for the faint of heart or suitable for lower skills. Some alternatives can be used when it comes to supplies/skill requirements but I'm not sure how they'll effect the number of kills. I may try experimenting with other methods and add them to the guide later. Hopefully this helps, I'll answer any questions and if you have any suggestions for improvements let me know. :)

Requirements:
99 (or close to 99) Range, Defense and Magic
96 Summoning
75 (Rigour) or 92 Prayer (Soulsplit)
Overloads

Strongly Recommended:
Elite Enhanced Excalibur
Stopwatch - This is used as both a 15 second timer and 5 minute timer.
Royal dwarven gravestone (15 minute grave) and 99 summoning - In case of death you can bank and get your killcount within 12-13 minutes with a Steel titan.

Setup:
I won't include Pernix and Divine here ($$$), other than mentioning that they're far superior to Armadyl and Spectral.
What to consider when choosing armor is your range attack bonus and the magic defense bonus. Range defense is not needed, and the melee minion doesn't hit that often to justify a melee helm. What you decide depends on how much and what you want to risk. Based solely on stats and not considering risk, here's a hierarchy of items for each slot.

Weapon: Chaotic Crossbow > Rune Crossbow
Helm/Body/Legs: Armadyl > Karils
Shield: Spectral SS > Dragonfire > Blessed SS
Cape: Ava's Alerter > Ava's Accumulator
Necklace: Fury > Amulet of Ranging > Glory
Boots: Ranger's > Snakeskin
Gloves: Barrows > Black d'hide
Ring: Archer's (i) > Archer's
Ammo: Diamond (e) (Possibly Ruby (e) for start of kill, not sure if its ideal though)

This is what I use. Items kept on death are the Armadyl top and bottom, fury and Spectral SS. Risk is ~5M with protect item.
Inventory:
Inventory 1: Yak --> Unicorn
This method provides trips that lasts roughly between 90-105minutes, and you can expect 14-17 kills with my setup. I believe there's room for slight improvement on this inventory, but its the best I've found as of now. Equipped items you don't see are 100 broad bolts (diamonds in inventory) and an unholy symbol (fury in inventory).
Inventory 2: Steel Titan
Biggest advantage to this is that the trips are quick, but still effective. Using a Steel titan a full trip (starting at trollheim and ending at trollheim for the next trip) takes roughly 40-45minutes, and I've been getting 7-8 kills/trip which amounts to roughly 8 kills/hour.
The Kill:
Method 1: Rigour
This is what I've been using, and its what I think works best. Quick-prays should be set to protect item, protect range and rigour. Before entering Overload, start the stopwatch, EEE Spec, brew to full HP and sip a restore. I wait the ~5 extra seconds until the overload repots to max before entering. Now simply kill Kree as you normally would.

Method 2: Leeches and Soulsplit
This should give longer trips, but slower kills. Haven't tried it myself though. Use the tactics to kill as above, only quickpray Protect item, Leech Defense, Leech Range and Leech Magic (unsure about magic), then when killing the minions Soulsplit flash to heal.

Tips and Tricks:
Earlier I mentioned a stopwatch, and starting it immediately after you overload. To maximize killing speed you want to know when your overload will "re-pot" you (every 15 seconds), and try to never sip a sara brew unless you're within 5 seconds of that time. If you need more healing than one sip try and start healing at 12-10 seconds before the re-pot. When doing this I brew 2-3 times and then super restore back to 99's and usually the overload re-pots within the next couple seconds. Also time brews so you can attack between sips, panic brewing is strongly frowned upon. Therefore if you start the stopwatch after you overload, every 15 seconds the stopwatch hits will be a re-pot time.
This is also used as a 5 minute timer for when the overload will run out. When the stopwatch is nearing 5 minutes you want your hitpoints to be below 590 (I try and stay between 500 and 650 at this time) so you can make the most of the overload running out. If you do it properly, and average using 10 sips of overload per trip (about what I'm getting), then you save 5,000 hitpoints of healing.

If you're struggling to kill the minions before Kree respawns to use the altar to restore prayer, the kill before you can use the altar only 3/4 kill the minions so you have plenty of time to kill them and restore prayer next kill.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Re: GWD - Armadyl Solo

Post by Lady in Ice » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:45 am

thanks, Dave!

How many kills did you manage in 1 trip?

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm able to manage 15-17 kills/trip with that setup and method.

Oobz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Oobz

Post by Oobz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:41 am

Thank you for the guide, Dave. I don't have 92 prayer for soul split and don't have rigour yet. I will also have to make do with a dfs untill I can afford a Spectral.

Gonna give this a proper try in the next few days :)
Image Image

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:58 am

ooberman wrote:Thank you for the guide, Dave. I don't have 92 prayer for soul split and don't have rigour yet. I will also have to make do with a dfs untill I can afford a Spectral.

Gonna give this a proper try in the next few days :)
I think using leeches would be best for you. Not sure though, as I've never tried it with those prayers.

A dfs is much better than what I had when I started soloing a few days ago. Only reason I have a spectral now is because I got lucky with a hilt on my first trip. Here's what I wore on that first trip:

With that setup I had 9 kills and supplies for 3-5 more kills when I tele'd.