Dung Support Guide

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Darth Kaz2
Inactive
RSN: Darth Kaz2

Dung Support Guide

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:03 pm

I posted this guide in a thread for a Dung event, but I am posting it here under guides as well. I hope you find it helpful, and that it enhances your enjoyment of Dung. It's a great skill! :D
Last edited by Darth Kaz2 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Re: Dung Support Guide

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Dung Team Support Guide
When I Dung with a group of 5, I like to play a supporting role. My goal is to make the team's (and my own) Dung time more enjoyable as well as more exp/hr for everyone. Faster floors = faster exp! In order to do this, I do all the things most people do not want to do, while at the same time being always available to help with combat and puzzles.

First, Dung Vocabulary:
 Leader/keyer…this person carries the GGS and leads the party through the rooms.
 GGS means Group Gate Stone…teleport to the leader/keyer for combat or to solve a puzzle.
 GD means a guardian door…this usually means to GGS to the keyer and fight.
 HT is Home Teleport, the room where you start a floor.
 GS means your own personal Gatestone. You drop it, then can teleport back to it.
 Prom = promethium ore. Gorg = gorgonite ore.

Who should do Dung Team Support?
 You need overall 80+ - 90+ skills.
 You need to like to stay busy!
 You need to be able to multi-task.

What can I do to support the team right away?
o First and foremost, always be available to ggs to the leader/keyer. When he/she calls ggs or gd, you need to cast GGS immediately and help with a room. Some rooms require the whole team to finish.
o Next, mine and smith armor, weapons, and tools. Most players use melee, so I always mine any prom and gorg I find and smith it into armor and weapons. I also make pickaxes, hatchets, etc. Once you make armor, GGS and give it to players.
o Make Law, Cosmic, and Astral runes and leave them in piles at HT.
o Pick up all salve eels, blue crabs, or cave morays and leave them in piles at HT. Pick up all lame food and use it yourself, to save good food for HT piles.
o Pick up all dropped herbs and drop them by water trough at HT for later making potions.
o Collect all the coins and use them to buy a lycopus, buckthorn, and other useful herb seeds. Find a farm plot and plant them, leaving them at HT water trough for making pots.
o Mine 5 Zepherium ores and cut/buy 5 Bovistrangler branches and build an altar at HT.
o Pick up all blue charms and leave at obelisk at HT.

Things to do in your spare time:
 Make a few super melee (Lyco and claw) and Prayer (Buck and claw) potions. Leave them in piles at HT.
 Make a couple of skill boost potions for difficult puzzle doors/rooms and leave them at HT.
 When Boss room is found, move piles of food and a few melee/prayer potions outside the boss door.
 Fish, cook, and leave the food at HT or at Boss door.
 If someone on your team uses range or mage, make them armor.
 Pick up all coins you find and leave some at HT, in case someone needs to buy something.

You can see what is happening here…you are GGS'ing to the leader/keyer whenever needed, and at all other times the rest of the team is fighting and clearing rooms while you equip them and prepare for the Boss fight. If done well, you won't really be missed while the team is clearing rooms, and they return to HT/Boss door to find neat piles of food and pots. A wise team will strongly appreciate your work.

The Cost to you:
What does it cost you to do all this? Nothing, really. I make as much exp as everyone else, though it is split up in all skills rather than being all melee. I make as much Dung exp as everyone else, often more.
I help the team clear floors faster and more efficiently, which is better for everyone. Also, I almost always get MVP at the end of a floor. That's a nice feeling.

Tips:
 Buy and carry around the tools you need: Pick, hatchet, tinderbox, pole, feathers, etc.
 Use a Beast of Burden familiar to help collect raw materials.
 Make 100 Laws and Cosmics for Gatestone spell. Then drop your personal GS where raw materials are. For example, I find a room with two Gorg ores and a Gravecreeper tree. Cast GS and drop it in the room, mine, cast HT, drop or smith ores, cast GS tele to return to the room, cut down tree, cast HT to drop logs, etc. You use the GS, HT, and GGS to get around mostly.

I hope you find this both useful in gaining Dung exp, and a way of making Dung more fun for everyone. :D
Last edited by Darth Kaz2 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:12 pm

Two nights ago I hopped into W117, joined a decent 5 man team, and we did F40. I played the Support role I describe in the previous post on this thread. I made 71k Dung exp (2nd highest exp in team), used mage for all combat, avoided most of the combat, spent a ton of time mining, smithing, cooking, making pots, built an altar, farmed, etc. Since I was on mage, i just helped kill nasty fighter types when needed.

I made MVP, Master Chef, Battle Mage, Survivor, David (maging a lvl 298 Fire Giant from a safe spot by myself, I guess), Least Damaging (I avoided most combat), and Telefail (I always seem to get that one :oops: ). The team loved the supporting help, and we all had fun.

I can't over-emphasize the benefit of one person on a large team doing Support. Try it sometime!

Poppy
Inactive
RSN: Poppy Koc

Post by Poppy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks Kaz, great guide :-)

GrandmasterH
RSN: GrandMasterH

Post by GrandmasterH » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:58 pm

if your skills arent high enough, you still can help a bit.
like i used to make melee pots (magebane + claw) and pray pots(featherfoil + claw) since i couldnt make anything higher with my herb level. like you using bad food for youself, save better ones for ur team. you could do the same with potions. if you find aloes make some weak pray pots for yourself if ur
running low
.. rest of the support stuff, kaz prolly talked about them all, i cant think of anything else to add =x

Bass
RSN: Bassjason1

Post by Bass » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Hey Kaz, Poppy suggested I post this here so we don't clutter the forum up. Basically, I wrote a Dungeon guide a while ago, and moved it to Tip.it, here's the link:

http://forum.tip.it/topic/285628-dungeo ... nd-tricks/

It's pretty much made for everyone, with a lot of humor put into it. Keep in mind I don't want to offend anyone, it's just that when I wrote it that's how the info came out. :pirate:

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Bass,
:lol: Very informative and amusing guide. :D

My contention is that on a competent 5-man team, a Support person is overall a benefit to the team. I agree with you completely that the leadership (or is it dictatorship?) of the keyer is the most important element to efficient and succesful Dunging. However, in my opinion, GD's can generally be cleared fast enough by 3 high-level players, leaving the keyer free to explore and the Supporter free to skill. To my thinking, the key to speeding up a floor is to have skill pots, altar, melee pots, armor, and lots of food available at HT before it is needed. If the Supporter isn't staying ahead of demand, he might just as well fight and let someone else skill.

Thanks for your input! :D

Bass

Post by Bass » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Interesting perspective. I would include it, but the 3bo die-hards and efficiency freaks probably would not understand it. I have a 120 dunge friend that keys with me or her other friend acting as a supporter. We average about 25 minutes per large doing it that way. The disadvantages to it are pretty much the occult floors because they are so mage-heavy, but warped go by quick with it. Also, if the supporter has all of the levels for skill doors and puzzles, it doesn't work too well if the keyer's having to call on them all the time.

I will be adding more to that as they or you request it. :pirate:

paragram
Inactive
RSN: Paragram

Post by paragram » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Darth :!: I'm afraid the teams you spoke of are quite out of my league :-? But least I'm back to trying to do dungeoneering again :x

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:43 am

Bass,
Yes, it can be a little crazy for the Supporter to focus on skilling when they have the skills needed to do puzzles ad open doors. It is vital that the Supporter always respond immediately to all the keyer requests for help. Otherwise it slows things down, and that defeats the purpose.

It can be done, though. Last night I played in a 5 man pick-up team on W117 (Yes, the worst-case scenario :lol: ). We did F30, one person quit after 10 minutes, and it was one of those floors with little food or cash for most of the way through it. Doesn't get much worse than that :P , but the other 3 begged me to stay and finish it with them. Being the sweet lovable Sith I am, I agreed.

It took just a bit longer than usual to finish the floor. I had the highest level in almost every skill, and was constantly having to drop everything and open a door. Nevertheess, just doing support, I got 58k exp (very good for that level), MVP, Master Chef, Telefail (as usual :P ), Survivor, yadda yadda. The team loved me and all begged to be added for future Dungs. In the end, the rewards for the floor were fine and we had great time doing it.

I think Dung is one of the most enjoyable team activities in RS. I love it, particularly when it is played in a way that takes both exp/hr and fun into account. This is a game, after all! :D

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:50 am

Dung tonight in Supporter role:

Pro 5 man team from W148, F42. Done in an hour, I made 78k exp, MVP, Survivor, Battle Mage, Master Chef, David, and Culinary Disaster. :lol: No telefail this floor!! :D

Love it!

Time to reset ring.

TrixStar
RSN: trixstar

Post by TrixStar » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 am

Did you know that monsters attack based on character ID number, which is a hidden number that no one knows about but whoever has the highest is the first priority. You can tell this throughout the dungeon, when people enter a room such as black demons will attack the highest priority.

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:04 pm

Knew that (or a system like that existed), the one thing I'm wondering though is when does that ID number get assigned? I've been in dungeons with the same group of people and their attack priority changes from time to time.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Philoz 494
RSN: Bao Cong

Post by Philoz 494 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks for the guide! I'm looking forward to get 85 dung

Bass

Post by Bass » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:48 pm

TrixStar wrote:Did you know that monsters attack based on character ID number, which is a hidden number that no one knows about but whoever has the highest is the first priority. You can tell this throughout the dungeon, when people enter a room such as black demons will attack the highest priority.
Same system applies to Castle Wars, and this is a main cause of KO's in the Skeletal Trio boss. :P