Conquest strategy (updated)

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Conquest strategy (updated)

Post by Hid » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 pm

I've been playing quite a few conquest games since they were released and found a setup/strategy that works pretty good for me. I thought I would share it with you, in case you plan on trying out this minigame too.

First of all, your troops:
3 Champions and 2 scouts. That's all you need.

Secondly, commands:
Battle cry, charge, regenerate and shield wall

Formation:
I have 2 champions and 2 scouts in the last possible row, and 1 champ 2 squares in front of it.

General strategy:
The main key to an easy win is to take out their champions quickly. The combination i use for this is the battle cry and charge command. With this combination you can move 8 squares (diagonally counts as 1 square), and hit the champ 600 damage, which is enough to make it die. The battle cry command gives yourself 800 health, so you are safe from any retaliation of other troops. It will take a few moves before you can use this, because you only get 25 command points per round (unless you kill another troop).

It makes a big difference how the game goes, depending if you have first turn or not. If you have first turn you are at a disadvantage, cause the opponent will have his combo of battle cry/charge ready before you have. He is always 25 command points ahead of you unless he messes up and uses a command before his combo is ready or unless you are able to kill one of his units, and get more command points that way. 9 out of 10 opponents will have the same troops as you have, but you can still beat them. If he has less champions than you it will be easier for you.

First turn:
If you have first turn, the main goal is to get your 1 champ that is already ahead of the others closer to his troops. Make sure you stay at least 5 squares away from his champ (or champs), but get as close as possible without getting yourself in danger. When he reaches 150 command points he will battle cry /charge you, so you will have to make sure he won't be able to do that. If everything goes normal (opponent doesn't mess up and you don't kill other troops), when you reach 125 command points, you will have to pull your champ back so that the difference between your and his champ is more than 8 squares. In your opponents next move he will have his 150 command points ready, but he won't be able to attack you anymore, cause his champ will be too far away. From now on the game is "fair" again, neither of you have a big advantage anymore.

The next move I always try in this case is to wait till I have 175 command points and move 4 squares in his direction. It would be good if you are able to target 2 (or more) of his champs this way. After you moved you use the shield wall on your champ (costs 50 command points). So, even though your opponent could charge/battlecry you, it won't help him, cause he can only do you 100 damage. In your next turn (after he did whatever he can do), you have 150 command points and at least 1 target ready which you can charge/battlecry and take out. That should give you the winning advantage over your opponent. Only problem you could have is when your opponent uses chastise on you and freezes you for 1 round. If that happens, improvise and hope for the best. The worst that can happen is that you lose your advantage, which doesn't always mean that you will lose the game. Many opponents make mistakes, cause they might have the right setup but still have no idea what they are doing.

Second turn:
This one is much easier, just make sure you get close to him and that you can target more than 1 of his champs. Stay close enough to him so he can't pull off the trick that I described before. When you got your 150 command points ready, charge/battlecry him and take out his first champ. Also make sure your two other champs stay behind, so he can't charge/battlecry one of your other champs. He will either attack your champ, which would be a stupid move, or try something else. In your next move, use shield wall and attack one of his champions. You'll do 400 damage and will get 100 damage yourself. In case you have 500 health at this time, you don't need to do anything more. In case you got attacked in the round before, you will be at 100 or 300 health and should use regenerate to get back to 600 health. This will force him to use battlecry to take your champ out, which will give you the advantage again, that your combo is ready 2 moves before his is. Just move one of your other champs so you get close enough to his champ (close to both champs would be better) and you can charge/battlecry again to take the next one out. Repeat the story before and victory should be yours.

Of course there are many variations possible, depending on his troops, but charge/battlecry should be the main key to winning.

General tips:
Keep an eye on movement possibilities of their troops, you don't want to suicide your troops, cause his archer can shoot it from a distance.
Try to keep an eye on his command points, see which commands he uses and you will know when you might expect a new special attack from him again.
Use scouts to kill off mages/archers if you get the chance. Using charge on your scout gives him a movement range of 12 squares. He can 1-hit the mages/archers this way. Only use the charge on the scouts after you took out all his champs though.

This is far from being a complete guide on this activity, but I hope it helps anyway.
Last edited by Hid on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KoA achievements

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Re: Conquest strategy

Post by Dr Brad » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks, Hid :D

P.S. Are there any spiders in this mini-game?
morituri te salutant

Hid
Inactive

Post by Hid » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:43 pm

No spiders here, Brad. You and all the ladies can play it without getting panic attacks ;)
KoA achievements

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:55 pm

....or should I ask the ladies to protect me? :P
morituri te salutant

Universal NZ
Inactive
RSN: Daddy Aaron

Post by Universal NZ » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:34 pm

hid taught me played few games against him he dominated me, in a good way.... :)
[img]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5735/agility1.gif[/img]
[color=#0000FF]Agility Fan[/color] :) and [color=#FF0000]crazy man.[/color]
No lifed agility from level 74-99 in 36 days straight.

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanx hid, I might give this a try tonite after work

onezerobin
Inactive
RSN: ulidr

Post by onezerobin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks Hid :)

Lol @ Brad. :lol:

Sir Chris
Inactive
RSN: FileNotFound

Post by Sir Chris » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Universal NZ wrote:he dominated me, in a good way.... :)
lol!
Didn't know you guys were into that sort of stuff!

Hid
Inactive

Re: Conquest strategy (updated)

Post by Hid » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Updated the guide and added a possibility to survive even if you have first turn, which is a disadvantage.
KoA achievements

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Post by PhelimReagh » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:54 am

How fast is it to level Conquesteering?

Snark aside, thanks for the guide!
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

Kaye
RSN: Kayezz

Post by Kaye » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:35 am

holy update Hidman...
awesomeness!
i thought people might catch on to the same things you did at 1st
this new plan has so much more detail... seems like a serious chess game now