Faster Strange Rocks

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

onezerobin
Inactive
RSN: ulidr

Faster Strange Rocks

Post by onezerobin » Tue May 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Looks like I finally found a way to find the strange rocks more efficiently. My approach was completely based on the approach from one of the methods mentioned in Rs forums (check the link below)

RS Forums Strang Rocks Post

"Mod Maz said the chance of a rock is 1 in x, then if you continue to train the skill, the chance of a rock is 1 in 2x(twice as rare). However, if you get 1 rock in a skill, then switch to a different skill and get a rock, then switch back, the chance of getting, the rock will be back to 1 in x."

I got one rock for each of the skills, and it was little faster but not much than previous attempts. But when I went to get the second rock for all the skills, I got them within 1-5 minutes (sometimes seconds). This requires minimum of 16 (optimally 30) free spots in your bank.

Ofcourse for fishing and mining skills, you can get both rocks within first few minutes, irrespective of any approach.

This week, I will try to do them in batch of 3 skills. That is, get one rock for each of the selected 3 skills, and go get the second rocks for the above 3 skills. Then I will move to next set of 3 skills. This appraoch will require minimum of 4 and maximum of 6 free spots.

I will document the finds and post the results. It will be helpful if members can post their experience with these approaches :)

onezerobin
Inactive

Re: Faster Strange Rocks

Post by onezerobin » Tue May 18, 2010 6:40 pm

This is how I hunt for the rocks. There is no particular order at the minute, because I hunt for rocks between my daily d&d and farming activities.

I always have a magpie familiar with me while I hunt for rocks (unless I am farming, in which case I have the giant ent familar with me).

1. Agility - Gnome Stronghold Basic Course - First rocks takes around 15-30 mins.
2. Construction - Flatpacks, fireplaces etc.
3. Firemaking - Maple Logs - I do this while waiting for fish flingers games/evil trees/stars.
4. Herblore - Harrlander+Chocolate dust, or Prayer Pots (because these are the least loss of all potions) - 150 pots max.
5. Fletching - Maple long bows (u) - Around 10 batches (i.e max 280 long bows)
6. Smithing - Blast furnace on world 58 - I buy ores from Orden, take coins and noted coal with me. I make mith arrow tips, steel dart tips and bronze dart tips. 100k plus profit under 30 mins, and atleast one rock per trip (30 mins).
7. Mining - If you have karamja gloves(3) go to Shilo gem mine, within 1 load of gems, you may get both the rocks.
8. Crafting - Gold rings in edgeville. These are the fastest because of less trips. Depending on gold bar price, you might even profit from it.
9. Cooking - I cook sword fish from my kingdom, wearing cooking gloves, at cooking guild. For some reason tuna takes longer.
10. Hunting - Red chins with proper hunting gear - Maximum 60 chins per rock in various attempts.
11. Runecrafting - I play 50-50 Gop games, and get atleast one rock in 3 games - I use the tokens to buy death altar tabs, and get second rock in 1-3 trips.
12. Fishing - Monk fish - I get both the rocks in one trip, max it took was two trips.
13. Thieving - Master farmer at Ardy - I wear the ardy cape, and gloves of silence and carry the Vial of stench (a) in my inventory.
14. Farming - I do daily 2 rounds of herb farming, and usually get them withing first 3-4 days.
15. Woodcutting - Saw mill (you cannot take familiar inside). I get 1-2 rocks by the time I finish one hard task (max 10 mins).

The time for first rocks of the set, is as mentioned above. But, I finished all 15 skills under an hour, for the second set of rocks.

updates
________

08/23/10 - Changed construction rocks to reflect jagex update

Pa7uL
Inactive
RSN: Lord Pa7ul

Post by Pa7uL » Tue May 18, 2010 6:43 pm

i just sit in my house until the rock shows up in my house and eventually does with having to leave and come back. a lazier approach i know.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Tue May 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Thank you, Avi! :D
morituri te salutant

onezerobin
Inactive

Post by onezerobin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:13 am

Gilly added a great tip for getting construction rocks.

Please check her topic
http://www.koaclan.co.uk/forums/viewtopi ... 58&p=55707

onezerobin
Inactive

Post by onezerobin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:23 pm

With recent update, changes have been made to how you get construction rocks. Summary of changes found by looking at rsof posts

1. You can no longer get them by just sitting/standing around in poh.
2. You can now get rocks while in "build" mode.
3. Your rocks will now show up in inventory rather than at house portal.

You have to actually train construction to get the rocks. Fireplaces, chairs, dungeons, flat packs etc. The tele tab, alch methods no longer work.

From some posts it appears flatpack armchairs and fireplaces are currently one of the faster methods. (need confirm on this)

zerocoollll
RSN: Zero Smurf

Post by zerocoollll » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:54 pm

the con rocks flat packs could be faster but cost more money if you are having your butler make planks for you (most like the 5k one per 8 trips)but to drop the flat packs you must get out of building mode. I bought about 1k limestone from the Ge all you got to do is have your butler get you the max they can carry make remove repeat It is alot of clicking but it is the cheapest way I have found

onezerobin
Inactive

Post by onezerobin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:36 pm

Thank you zero. This guide became a little outdated. I need to update this guide #-o

But kindly keep posting tips and hints. :D

d3m0
RSN: D3m0n1cus

Post by d3m0 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 pm

This requires minimum of 16 (optimally 30) free spots in your bank.
i know this thread is a bit dated, and most people will already know this, but I didnt see any mention of the statue collection bag. You might just want to add a note that after you complete the statue once, you no longer need all the free spaces. The collection bag is quite handy when dealing with all the rocks, if you want to skip unnecessary bank trips.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:33 pm

While doing skills that can uncover strange rocks, I keep the collection bag in my inventory. That way, the rocks go directly into the bag. For some skills, such as cooking, if you have a full inventory of food items (e.g., sharks or rocktail) but no bag, you risk having the food item replaced by a strange rock. Having the bag in inventory prevents this from happening.
morituri te salutant

Touristguide
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Touristguide

Post by Touristguide » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 pm

I find using a Big Net I get the fishing rocks within 5 minutes

zerocoollll
RSN: Zero Smurf

Post by zerocoollll » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:06 pm

I had to stop getting the rocks took over the whole game for me.
Now i will hunt them if only around 2 skills are left for making the statue

0ZZ-MAN
RSN: X OZZ X

Post by 0ZZ-MAN » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:08 am

BUMPED FOR FASTER STRANGE ROCKS