Slaying to make wads of dosh!

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Slaying to make wads of dosh!

Post by Diplomatt » Sat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Many people dont realise that Slaying is actually a very good way to make your bank account grow with the shiny gold stuff. It's good for increasing your mellee, good for prayer (free bones!), very good for charms and I have massed most of my wealth from it (apart from a dragon armour lump that sold for 10 mill the day WGS quest came out!). Here are my little tricks and tips to maximise RS gold from slaying.

Slayer Masters: The quicker you get to your master/ mistress for a new task, the more time you have to slay whilst being logged on. If your using Duradel/ Lapalok*, get yourself a pair of Karamja 3 gloves. You have unlimited teleports to the gem mine in Shilo village that is just a hop and a skip away from the slayer master. A lot quicker than getting a boat and using Vigroy to get to Shilo/ fairy rings. If your using Kuradel and you havnt got any Fero rings (it took me over 1000 kills to get 1!), you can either use games necklaces and tele to Barbarian outpost and walk to the ancient cavern or by collecting 5 mushrooms, you can reconstruct the fairy ring in the ancient cavern and use that (B J Q, must be able to use fairy rings!).

If you don't know who Laplok is:
During While Guthix Sleeps quest, Duradel is slain in a big battle. In fact he goes down quicker than a, well you know what I mean. He is replaced by Laplok in his Slayer duties
Slayer Reward Points: If you mass your points up and dont skip any tasks (costing 30 points), you can buy lots of Magic Dart spells (35 points), these sell for around 100k gp depending on the GE. Broad bolts cost the same and sell for around 30k on the GE. Talking about Slayer Rewards, get a Slayer ring as soon as you can and the ability to make them, it has some valuble teleport locations that can save you time and money in teleporting to and from tasks. DONT CANCEL ANY task by visiting Turael. We all know the more tasks you do the more points you get, but when you start getting into the 100's of tasks done, the reward bonus's are very big.
If you havn't got a clue what I've just been on about, get 'Smoking Kills' quest done and start massing Slayer Points!

Inventory: I always take 100 nats and 500 fire runes with me on tasks to high alc drops. At the moment some items are only 100-200gp more in the GE than the high alc price, and some GE prices are lower. Any rune stuff I get, I alc straight away, leaving a free inv spot and getting that little Mage XP all adds up in the end. The longer you stay at your task killing, the less time you spend doing bank runs and the more tasks you can get done.
Keep an eye on the amount of kills you have left. If you know you can afford to pick up the vial the player next to you just dropped without clogging up your inv, do it............look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.
Try and get an Excaliber(e) sword (Seers village achievement diary). This little baby has a special attack that gives you 200 health when u use the spec, as well as bumping up your defence. More room for empty slots in your inv to pick up the minor drops or more food to help you stay there longer and complete the task. I dont know how much this has saved me in food costs but its lots!

Treasure Trials/ Clues: This is where I make most of my money. A load of slayer monsters drop clues. If I get a clue, I leave the task straight away and get the clue done. This also acts as a good break from the task, if your getting bored. The only time I wont leave is when I have 10-20 kills left to complete the task. I have a whole TAB in my bank dedicated to clues. I can complete any 'item required/ emote' clue straight away as I keep all the items I have ever needed in the emote clues. I also make a load of duel rings/ games necklaces/ digsite dendants. I always go out on a clue with at least a duel ring or games necklace so when I get another clue I can teleport straight away to a bank to prepare for the next clue (duel-castle wars, games-wildy Volcano). I also mass all the teleport methods so I can get around Asgarnia at the click of a mouse! Yes, I have had a lot of 10-15k level 3 clue rewards, but I have also had a lot of 50-100k rewards and 500k+ and these all add up. I have had a Robin Hood in a clue when I was in Lvl 55 wild, with a pack of angry Revs after me, I got away and sold it for 5 mill (GE prices at the time many moons ago!).
If you cant do one of the clues due to levels/ quest requirements ........drop it. You cant get another clue with one in your inv/ bank. I have done a clue, got the reward, started slaying again and on the very next kill......wham...another clue! This happens quite often. If you stay doing your slayer task with a clue in your inv, how many clue drops are you missing? IMO doing clues is worth the risk of getting 10k rewards 5 times out of 10. I will do a clue/ treasure trail guide soon!

Food/ Prayer: We all know prayer pots cost so I try not to use them. If you can have a quick run to recharge your prayer when your doing a bank run, do it. I sometimes use a games necklace to clan wars and run down to the temple in the wild to recharge or duel arena to the alter there. I am sure there must be quicker ways and someone will hopefully 'reply' with any quicker runs. As for food, I've already talked about Excaliber(e), but most of us if not all will get our own food by now and not buy it! I fish 5-700 monks and cook them, so I have a reserve stock of food in my bank at all times.

Weapons: If you want to waste money, use a cannon in your tasks! Yes its very quick XP but its also very expensive. If I want to range, I will always make my own bolts. I never buy anything if I can help it (UK players, yes, I'm a tight Northern git!).

Drops:Take as many of the drops as possible as well as bones (I usually leave normal bones, but take every big bone+ drop). You can click to bury a bone a half second before you attack and you will still attack, bury the bone and attack again! This works with alcing too. You can high alc 'mid kill' without losing attack moves! The trick is to maximise your inv without spending too much time and effort doing bank runs all the time. If you know your task will produce lots of drops its worth taking some teleport method to get back to the bank quicker.

Be patient with your tasks, just because you don't get a good drop monster, take it, as its all slayer points!

Andy
Last edited by Diplomatt on Sat May 08, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mabelrose2
Inactive
RSN: Mabelrose2

Re: Slaying to make wads of dosh!

Post by Mabelrose2 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Slayer rocks, I owe 90% or more of my combat levels and bank account to slayer

Almighty Div
Inactive
RSN: Mr Twitch

Post by Almighty Div » Sat May 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Mabel Troublemaker wrote:Slayer rocks, I owe 90% or more of my combat levels and bank account to slayer
I agree entirely, and have also made at least 90% of my GP from slayer.

And almost all my charms for my summon have come from slayer task drops.

Pa7uL
Inactive
RSN: Lord Pa7ul

Post by Pa7uL » Sun May 09, 2010 6:03 pm

food tip:
i bought a mud staff (water and earth) and use it with nates to cast the bones to peaches (peaches heal 80 LP) spell when i have tasks that drop bones. it saves me a lot of time/gp and space with food and only adds takes up one inventory space because i cary the nates anyway but i use a staff of fire to save a few more runes.

a tip for prayer might be to just take a telly tab for your house with you.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Mon May 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks, Andy! :D
With regard to prayer recharge, I always wear the Ardy achievement diary cape which allows me unlimited teleports back to the monastery south of Ardy and the two altars located there. (The Ardy cape also has a nice prayer bonus.) From the monastery, you're relatively close to the Ardy bank, a fairy ring, and a spirit tree.
morituri te salutant

Diplomatt
Inactive

Post by Diplomatt » Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 am

Grrr I forgot all about the Ardy cloak! Time to get it out my pow and keep it in my house!

Thanks Dr Brad!

IZZI
Inactive
RSN: o0 IZZI 0o

Post by IZZI » Tue May 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Very good posts, thank you much. I have been using slayer to level all my combat skills for some time now, I like the idea of gaining xp for multiple skills at once. (slayer and cb skill of choice) This will be sure to help. Also the trick to bury bones mid-battle works better if you have auto retaliate on, no need to re-initiate attack.

Darth Kaz2
Inactive
RSN: Darth Kaz2

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Reason to Slay
by: Darth Kaz2
Question: Why should I even train combat? I am a skiller!
Good question. There are several good ‘skiller' reasons to train combat. First, the combat skills are still skills. If you are interested in focusing on raising your Total Level, then you will not want to leave out Attack, Strength, Defense, Hit Points, and Range. Second, training other skills will become considerably easier with high Combat, Defense, or Hit Points. (Examples: Defense and HP for abyssal Rcing, Combat to keep those annoying Scorpions from harassing your mining work, etc.) The third good reason for a skiller to train combat is prestige…the first thing someone who sees you looks at is your level. High combat usually equals more respect.

Question: Why train Slayer? Isn't it way faster to power-train on one type of monster?
Two good questions. I'll answer the second question first. Yes, it is faster to power-train, but not by a lot. Once you reach the mid-60's in slayer, power-training is only 20% faster exp than slayer training. However, if you will consider the benefits of Slayer, you will see this is a small price to pay.
 Why train Slayer? First, consider the experience payoff. You get 5 exp per hp of damage in regular combat…4 to Attack, Defence, Range, etc, and 1 to your HP skill. When Slaying, you get 6 exp per hp of damage…the usual 4+1 and an extra exp point to slayer. Yes, think about it…slayer is 20% slower than power-training combat, but you get 20% more overall exp…it balances out! If measured by total exp earned, Slayer is just as fast as any other type of combat training.
 Next, there is the monetary reason for training Slayer. You can make consistently good profit killing flesh crawlers, blue dragons, or black demons. However, the truly amazing drops, like abby whips or dark bows, are obtained from high-level slayer assignments. You will start seeing a small profit around 40 slayer, a decent profit around 60 slayer, millions in profit in the 70's, and tens of millions from 85 on. Slaying crawling hands or skeletons now is an investment in your financial future.
 Third, there are several very important quests you will want to do that require Slayer. You are probably going to want to do Animal Magnetism (18 Slayer) for Ava's Accumulator. And everyone absolutely must do Throne of Miscellania and Royal Trouble (40 Slayer). There are also numerous other valuable quests that require slayer, up to level 59. The quest cape will require 59 Slayer, so why not train it up at least that high?
 Fourth, Slayer is fun. Well, at least, I think it is. Actually, I was just like you…I used to dread Slayer training. Killing skeletons, shades, and rock slugs seemed like a total waste of time. However, around 50 or so, I realized I was starting to like it. The assignments were forcing me to fight new enemies in new places. I started to look forward to the variety…after killing thousands of Flesh Crawlers and Banshees, I needed a little variety. Then, around 65 Slayer, when I started to make good money doing it too, I really started to enjoy it. Levels 70-75 took me 2 weeks…I made 5 slayer, 4 atk, 4 str, 5 def, 4 hp, and 1 range level training in those 2 weeks. (I train on balanced melee) That's 23 levels in the 70's and 80's in 2 weeks, plus about 3mil in profit as well! Then I used my charms for 6 Summoning levels too (62-68)! I realized Slayer had become one of my favorite skills!
 Finally, consider this… when training Slayer you are also training other skills. If you go all the way to 99 Slayer, using primarily melee, you will have 99 atk, str, def, hp, and summoning, as well as range in the 90's from using the dwarf cannon on select assignments. You will end up with 5 skill capes and tens of millions in the bank. Do not fall into the trap of training high level combat, then deciding to train Slayer, and waste time getting millions of extra exp over 99 in your combat skills. Start Slayer now, and almost always only train combat with Slayer.
Use Slayer to go somewhere new, kill something different, get some awesome drops and exp, and have some fun. RS is a game, after all.

Diplomatt
Inactive

Post by Diplomatt » Wed May 12, 2010 9:28 am

Nicely worded Darth! I can see you reep the benefits of Slayer with a whopping slayer lvl of 95! (*kneels down and bows*!)

Huzzah
RSN: Huzzah

Post by Huzzah » Fri May 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Im just starting to slay again after years off. I got to 59 shortly after it came out then stopped dead, took my break, returned. I forgot how much fun it really is. I truly enjoy running around and fighting all types of different monsters, many I wouldn't if I wasn't training slayer. Its one of the better skills for sure. Anyone who does slayer should also do 'Smoking Kills' even if you don't enjoy quests. Just like with many quests, the rewards are worth it.
[b]Classic:[/b] Combat 084 - 1134 Total Level.
[b]Pre-Eoc[/b] Combat 121 - 2288 Total Level.

Retired fall of 2012. Goodluck Koa! :)