Easy Ranging for GP for Mid-Level Rangers

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Easy Ranging for GP for Mid-Level Rangers

Post by PhelimReagh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:38 am

Desert Goat Population Control

Amidst the swirling sands of the Kharidian Desert, east of the River Elid, a creature roams searching out the shoots of grass that exist in those lands. Long ago brought to the then Kharid Grasslands by parties unknown, the goats quickly grew to be a plague upon the land, devouring the high grasses down to and including their roots. They ravaged the Kharid, turning it into the desert we know today.

Only a few of these goats remain in the desert, searching out what few bits of grass are left to struggle in the now inhospitable sands. If the Kharidian has any chance of returning to the lush grasslands they once were, it is incumbent that their numbers remain as low as possible.

But why should a hearty adventurer of Gielinor care about goats in the desert? Why, I'll tell you why: Desert Goat Horns!

You see, the goats have evolved a set of horns that have proven to have near-mystical powers, and for that, other adventurers sometimes pay up to 1,100 coins for a horn!

What's more, a herd of these creatures currently plague the residents of Nardah, taking up residence directly to the west of their local Savings and Loan.

To that end, adventurer, I bestow upon you this guide on how to increase one's skill with the bow, crossbow, throwing knife and/or javelin whilst also culling the deserts of this grazing plague, and accumulating large numbers of valuable Desert Goat horns.

Getting to Nardah
Hopefully, as adventurers, you're avid questers and have access the Teleporation Ring Network of the Fairied Peoples, access to which was granted you if you've started the quest A Fairy Tale II - To Cure a Queen. For if you do, Fairy Ring D-L-Q will leave you at a spot on a few seconds north of the town of Nardah itself.

If you do not have access to the Fairy Ring Network, then get yourself to the town of Pollnivneach and bring a few hundred coins (and wear a Ring of Charos (a) if you have it to make transport cheaper). You'll need to head to the southern end of town and take one of Ali's flying carpets to Nardah

Slaking Your Thirst
First and foremost, if one has an Enchated Water Tiara from the Dealing with Scabaras quest, then they had best use it, for the heat of the Kharid, even as close to the town of Nardah as you may be, is dangerous.

If you do not have said tiara, you're going to need a way to fill and re-fill a few waterskins, held in your inventory. The easiest way is if you have completed the Spirits of the Elid quest, which allows you to use the water sources in Nardah. If you haven't, then you need to fill up a large number of buckets with water before you make your way to Nardah, and bank them.

Gear
Aside from an Enchanted Water Tiara, there is no real special "best" gear to wear when killing Desert Goats. Just equip your very best ranging gear that also has fairly decent defense. For while they may be the vagrants of the Kharidian Deserts, these goats will attack with their horns, which are as tough as any war club or mace.

EVERYONE, regardless of defense level, will need a couple of bits of cheap cooked food. For these beats will whittle away at anyone's health. An inventory should look like this (obviously substituting your best/preferred gear if/when it applies):

Cull the Herd
Your task now, should be obvious. From the bank in Nardah, run just to the west and you'll see a herd of four or five Desert Goats, one of which is the alpha male of the group a Desert Billy Goat (who, as a note, will hit harder than the harem he maintains).

You can now kill them and bank the horns with ease once your inventory is full. It is well within reason for even a mid-level ranger to get between 100-200K gold per hour using this method! Ranging XP is considerably slower than many other methods available, but it could very well approach 20K XP per hour.
Last edited by PhelimReagh on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Re: Easy Ranging for GP

Post by Hid » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:10 am

Nice guide, thx for sharing it with us :)
KoA achievements

Driftdog2k9
Inactive
RSN: Asuka Kirara

Re: Easy Ranging for GP for Mid-Level Rangers

Post by Driftdog2k9 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:45 pm

thanks, i never knew goats are that good for the money, lol. thanks for sharing with us i'll definitely give a try.

considering i have a nooby range lvl.

valtrax
Inactive
RSN: Poetic Slays

Re: Easy Ranging for GP for Mid-Level Rangers

Post by valtrax » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:24 am

Nice guide never even paid attention, that they were there.