Short guide on fast xp methods

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Short guide on fast xp methods

Post by Hid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Seeing as people keep reading the previous version of this guide :P , which I never really intended to make for the public (only for the organisers of the first olympics), and because it is over a year old (before stealing creation and many other updates), I decided to try to make it up to date and I hope I still remember everything correctly, as it has been some time since I really trained them.

I only mentioned the possible training methods briefly, otherwise it would become too big, and there are many fan-sites out there who have all the information needed available anyway. If you do have questions, just post or ask me in game. I will try my best to answer.

Of course there are other methods than the ones I mentioned, these are just the ones I know of that should be good for fast xp. If you have a better method, please share it with us. Most things I mentioned are for higher levels, because logically the higher your level the faster the xp.

So, here goes, and I hope it helps:

Combat skills:

Attack/strength/defense:
• Best to train while doing slayer in my opinion.
• Otherwise the ghostly warriors in the spirit world (high level wildy though) can get you up to 70k xp per hour
• The same goes for the zombies at the chaos altar in about level 13 wildy (from the defender of varrock quest), about 70k xp per hour.
• Pest control can get you up to 60-70k xp per hour too, if you have a high level and find a good team. With a good team I personally got about 100 points per hour.
• If you use clay melee armour you can get double xp of course.

Ranged:
• Red chinchompas: xp per hour depends strongly on your ranged level, but I heard it can go up to 350k+ xp per hour if you also use clay armour. There is a good guide on Zybez about it. It is very expensive though. If you use clay armour, better only use the coif, so you keep your ranged bonus up (thanks to Kal for info on chinning :) )
• Cannon: I know it is very fast, but I have no idea how much xp you can get per hour
• Yaks: use knives on them. The place will be crowded, but you can get about 80k xp per hour there when you use clay armour (a coif lasts for 33k xp for example). Val has a more extensive guide on this on the forums.

Prayer:
• Gilded altar: only real fast method is using dragon bones on a gilded altar. If you have one yourself, just tele to your house and back to castle wars. I always bring a beast of burden with me, so you can use more bones on the altars without having the burners extinguishing. A good trick is setting the right click option on your familiar to "¾take from familiar"“ and click on it while training. This way you will take them, but won't stop training (thanks to whoever mentioned it in cc).I haven't trained prayer since the update last year, but I suppose it will still be about the same, between 200-250k xp per hour.

Magic:
• High alching: about 70k xp per hour.
• Stunning: wear mage reducing armour and cast the spell over and over. About 100k xp per hour, expensive though.
• Ice barrage monsters in multi-attack zones, like the chaos dungeon mummys: no idea how much xp you get per hour. I heard it is pretty much, but expensive too.
• Plank making: You need lunar spells for this one and it makes about 120k xp per hour. Best plank to make is mahogany. Hard part is to get them sold afterwards, might take some time.

Slayer:
• Not much to say, except that if you can use Kuradal, go for it. In my opinion the best slayer master in game, but you need to be 110+ combat and 75+ slayer.
• You can trade in points at slayer masters for xp, but it would be a waste of money. Instead of getting the "little" xp, you can get a lot of runes and sell them for good money.
• Using a cannon for slayer is of course fast xp, but also more expensive.

Summoning:
• Fastest xp is the highest blue charmed familar, then red, green and gold.
• Fastest method is using the kyatt familiar. It has a right click option that teleports you directly next to the piscatoris obelisk. You can do about 60 runs per hour.

Gathering skills:

Fishing:
• Best method is using swordfish gloves (from the Fist of Guthix minigame) and clay harpoons (which should last about 24k xp), to fish for swordfish, and get about 70k xp per hour.
• Barbarian fishing: About 45k xp per hour, using a granite lobster, together with some strength and agility xp
• Shilo village: 40k xp per hour
• Monk fishing: around 35k xp per hour
• Cavefish in the living rock cavers (level 85 needed): around 35k xp per hour
• Important for all methods: use a fishing familiar, like the granite lobster. It will get you around 3-4k extra xp and some free fish too.

Hunting:
• From level 80 on, you can get about 70-80k xp per hour (up to 100k xp at 99) at red chinchompas.
• Hunting grenwalls (level 77) in combination with hunting pawyas (level 66) can get around 60k xp per hour (at a high hunter level), and can make some good money too, because the grenwall spikes are used for herblore.
• Falconry (dashing kebbits at level 69), near Piscatoris. About 60k xp per hour.
• Red salamanders till level 80, near the zmi-altar. About 55k xp per hour.

Mining:
• Granite mining is fastest xp in my opinion. Mine a full load, drop it, and repeat. Best spot is where you stand between 2 rocks, so you dont have to run around, and do this on a full world. The respawn is very fast. If you use clay pickaxes (last around 16k xp) you can get up to 100k xp per hour this way.
• If you have level 80, you can mine gold in the living rock caverns at the concentrated gold deposits. This should be around 80-90k xp per hour I think, using the clay pickaxes of course.

Woodcutting:
• Poison Ivy with a clay hatchet (lasts about 40k xp) is definitely the way to go here. Depending on your level xp up to 160k per hour is possible this way. Of course you don't get any logs, and you barely get nests, so it is purely a powertraining method.

Processing skills:

Firemaking:
• Very easy, the higher the log the better the fm xp. Just a matter of how much money you want to spend. A good idea might be to combine cutting teak logs and burning them afterwards. This way you get faster wc xp and also much better firemaking xp than maples.
• If you have done the first two parts of the firemaking minigame, you get a ring and gloves, which together give you about 5 % more firemaking xp.

Fletching:
• Making broad tipped arrows is the best possible xp, about 500k xp per hour, but also costs like 3m gp per hour, because the broad tipped arrows are untradable
• Feathering addy bolts: Very easy method for very fast xp, up till 280k xp per hour, if you can click fast. Will probably lose you money though.
• Putting diamond bolt tips on addy bolts. Up to 180k xp per hour, and you can even make some money doing it.
• Making unstrung magic longbows with a clay fletching knife will be around 250k xp per hour. A clay fletching knife should last for about 80k xp.

Crafting:
• Crafting air battlestaves: You can make about 1,800 battlestaves per hour. That is about 250k xp per hour.
• Making dragonhide bodies. As long as you have already tanned them, this is very fast xp too. I think you can craft about 3k+ hides per hour. For using green leather this would be about 400k xp per hour, when you combine it with clay needles. A clay needle should last for about 44k xp.
• Cutting high level gems: Supposed to be very fast, but I couldn't find anything about xp per hour.

Cooking:
• With cooking gloves you won't burn rocktails (level 93) or cavefish (level 88) anymore at a very high level. You will get about 270k xp per hour this way.
• You stop burning sharks from level 94 on (with cooking gloves), about 250k xp per hour. This is better than sea turtles or manta rays, because you still burn 10-15% of them (even at 99), which makes them less xp per hour.
• You stop burning monks from level 90 on, about 180k xp per hour.
• Sea turtles for high levels makes over 200k xp per hour.
• Grapes: make wine and get about 400k xp per hour. I heard you'll lose quite some money with this method though.

Runecrafting:
• Zmi-altar. You need to be on lunar spells for it. Use the bank at ourania for the fastest banking method and make sure your bank is completely full. Keep the fire runes in your inventory, and you can just click on the bank inventory button, which will one-click bank all of the runes you made. XP is about 30k (in the 70's), up to 45k (in high 90's) per hour.
• Using altar tabs to blood or death altar will probably be just as fast, no idea about exact xp though. You get the altar tabs from the Great Orbs Project minigame.
• Double astrals (from level 82 on) and double nature runes (level 91) will get you around 20k xp per hour. Using only the 3 highest pouches (and fill highest one with only 9) is faster than using 4 pouches for double nats btw.

Construction:
• Oak dungeon doors (level 74 needed): Just let the butler unnote your oak planks. It‘s about 350k xp per hour, when you use clay hammers (lasts for 51k xp).
• Oak larders: dont know the exact xp, should be alot also.

Herblore:
• Highest potion is best xp, and of course very expensive. You have to check the ge prices of all herbs, seconds and potions to know which potion is the least expensive for the xp you get. In my experience this is often the prayer potion.
• A way to get slow herblore xp, but don't lose much money is collect nightshade at the ogre caves and make weapon poison++.

Smithing:
• Adamant bolts/arrowtips (level 73/75) is more or less cost effective, but still fast xp, about 120k xp per hour, when you use the clay hammer (lasts 64k xp).
• If you have more money to spend or just less patience, making addy platebodies at level 88 is faster, at around 320k xp per hour (with clay hammer of course).
• Using the goldsmithing gauntlets while smelting gold ore, should get you around 84k xp per hour.

Other skills:

Agility:
• Both new agility courses, gnome (needs level 85) and barbarian (level 90) give the best xp per hour, at around 60-65k if you don't fail anymore.
• Ape Atoll: You stop failing the course after level 74. About 50k xp per hour
• Until you can do ape atoll, wildy course should be best and get you around 40k xp per hour (not sure, been a few years since I was there).

Thieving:
• Pyramid plunder: Best possible xp in my opinion, up to 230k xp per hour from level 91 on, 180k xp from 81 on. I have a guide on the forums with more details.
• Blackjacking menaphites in Pollniveach is good xp too, but I guess you need the right tactic for it, and somehow it never worked for me. I heard it was possible to gain xp of up to 200k per hour though.
• Doing the summer sorceress garden can get you up to 90k xp with a bit of practise.

Farming:
• Just highest level seeds if you want best xp. Not much to say here, but if you want to do it a little more cost effective, don't forget to do the herbs and it is best to choose medium level tree seeds instead of highest ones.
KoA achievements

RedFalling
RSN: Redfalling

Re: Short guide on fast xp methods

Post by RedFalling » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:26 am

thanks hid.
Read you were locking the other one and this is the more current post of this.
[color=#BF0000]A member of KoA since:[/color] [color=#FF0000]A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...[/color]

[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/log/dragon/male/ ... alling.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Redfalling][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/water/7_ ... alling.png[/img][/url]
[img]http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu26 ... Oly3rd.gif[/img]

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 am

Hid states for prayer training:
A good trick is setting the right click option on your familiar to "¾take from familiar"“ and click on it while training. This way you will take them, but won't stop training (thanks to whoever mentioned it in cc).
I selected the "take BoB" option from the summoning icon and easily received bones from my war tortoise to use on the gilded altar. However, each time I did this, my character stopped using bones on the altar, and I had to restart the process anew (use bone on altar --> quantity x). I thought you could do this with the character continuing to use bones on the altar without interruption. Am I doing it wrong?
morituri te salutant

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:09 am

When I did that as long as the initial "use bone on altar --> quantity x" was more than the total amount of bones in my inventory and familiar it worked right for me.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Thanks. I got it to work. :)
morituri te salutant

Kaye
RSN: Kayezz

Post by Kaye » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:46 pm

A good trick is setting the right click option on your familiar to "¾take from familiar"“ and click on it while training. This way you will take them, but won't stop training (thanks to whoever mentioned it in cc).
I had placed my tinderbox in the "19th" position in my inven to help me notice when to "take bob" (using war tort)
it helped me a bit

btw: this method also works well for Construction, just click "take bob" the moment you run out of planks, using the make all option... I was making mahogany dining tables (6 planks ea.) w/ a war tortoise ... had 4 spot in my inven occupied by tele runes & saw/hammer, it works out to exactly 7 tables per trip
and is quite fast

sir relztik
Inactive

Post by sir relztik » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:58 am

Nice guide thanks for posting it
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Sir_Relztik][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/ffdn/8_m ... elztik.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://rsig.eu/][img]http://rsig.eu/stat/8jrupit4/sir_relztik.png[/img][/url]

"Don't let me smell fear on you. Fear is for the enemy." - John Goodman from the movie "Death sentence"

Lord Anwyn
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Zarakrux

Post by Lord Anwyn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:17 am

great guide Hid, but 1 small error i noticed,

Hid wrote:
• Both new agility courses, goblin (needs level 85) and barbarian (level 90) give the best xp per hour, at around 60-65k if you don't fail anymore.
goblin should be gnome

Huzzah
RSN: Huzzah

Post by Huzzah » Fri May 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Very helpful Hid, thanks for sharing.
[b]Classic:[/b] Combat 084 - 1134 Total Level.
[b]Pre-Eoc[/b] Combat 121 - 2288 Total Level.

Retired fall of 2012. Goodluck Koa! :)

Poppy
Inactive
RSN: Poppy Koc

Post by Poppy » Fri May 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Great guide Hid, thanks =)

Garnoidish
RSN: The Beef

Post by Garnoidish » Fri May 14, 2010 6:42 pm

old now, but still very accurate!

onezerobin
Inactive
RSN: ulidr

Post by onezerobin » Fri May 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Yes one of the best guides, around.

To new players who don't know who hid id, Hid is one of the nice maxed out players who will help you always irrespective of your low level, and be nice about it. Quite rare (though common trait in Koa players) for an maxed out player like himself. He is hiding in "WoW" world, and hope is back soon in rs world.

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Fri May 14, 2010 9:51 pm

avidr wrote:He is hiding in "WoW" world, and hope is back soon in rs world.
Really? I thought that he was avoiding me in Combat Arms? I even bought a mini-gun to deal with him and it turns out he fled to a completely different game to avoid me. lol :P

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Fri May 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Ewsentinel wrote:...it turns out he fled to a completely different game to avoid me. lol :P
Now, that's power! :lol:
morituri te salutant

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Post by Hid » Fri May 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Funny to see this lol

Actually I already moved on again from WoW. I trained a character to level 80, doing 1.7k quests or so, and found out that all you do after reaching level 80 is dungeons, dungeons and more dungeons. I grew bored of it, like I do with almost every single game there is atm. Most games can't even keep my attention for one day. I would like to come back to Runescape, but I have no idea what to do then, seeing I really hate Dungeoneering, and I don't need any experience in any other skill. Guess I got to do some thinking to come up with other goals than maxing out sigh

Wish I could meet you in Combat Arms, Sent, but you play on the american server and I am on the european server. I would have loved to see you pull out the minigun while running away for my big guns ;)

Btw, anyone knows a good online game besides Runescape? :)
KoA achievements