Nubkin's mini-guide to prayer flashing~

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Andey
Inactive
RSN: Andey

Nubkin's mini-guide to prayer flashing~

Post by Andey » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 am

Ok I originally had this in another post but I decided to just cut and paste it here. Some things may seem out of context for now but all the info is there. I'll be adding to it and editing to put it a little more in context so I hope you don't mind.

Updates:
-August 10th, 2009. I put the guide a little more into context and added some text and grammar corrections.
-August 22nd, 2009. Added a little more to the uses as I have learned a bit more.
-September 6th, 2009. The attack roll timing of most monsters has been changed.
-September 7th, 2009. I've discovered that the melee portion of the prayers havn't changed, it's actually a bug that will be fixed soon. I've reverted the guide to how it was before yesterday's update.

Prayer flashing is the act of turning your prayers on and off to conserve prayer and still maintain invincibility effect of protection prayers.

I stumbled on prayer flashing by accident about a week ago, when I only had a few monsters to kill and 4 prayer left. I got told by a friend how to do this, and he told me that this is well known... So nooby me decided to figure out how to perfect this technique and implement it into my normal game play. Here's what I've got after my week of study.

If anyone is interested~~ I've got some other uses than just a noobified version of god mode.

-While training ranged you can flash your eagle eye prayer just before the shooting animation and get a nearly free *kick* to your shot. This is particularly useful at steel dragons when mixed with rng potions and maxed out range armor.

-While doing slayer, get yourself a bunyip and on most tasks you can pray piety just when the attack animation starts for a sweet kick and a boost of speed to completing your slayer assignment. Mix this up with slayer helm and potting and dust devils become the fastest combat experience in the game.

-No more need for B2P at aviancies (I know, I'm a nub. It's good money, ok?) At about 4 paces away flash your prayer just as the 0 splash disappears for about half a second and wahla another 0. Use swordfish when you get them and you should be able to kill about 500 using only 1 prayer potion. You might have to adjust the timing for different distances as there is a delay in the splash bubble. (it waits for the end of the animation)

-At GodWars bosses you can implement eagle eye technique listed above while fighting the boss if you want to be daring, after the kill you can flash protection prayers on the minions to save a few prayer points. This can actually save your trip if you need longer than 15 minutes between renewing your prayer.

-I'm pretty sure you can flash the rapid restore prayer but it's not worth the effort and timing imo. You would probably have to get a stopwatch which is just way too much effort for 1 hp.

Timing of it all:
Melee monsters have the damage rolled as soon as the splash bubble pops up on the screen.
Ranged/Magic monsters (and players) have their damage rolled the instant they begin their animation. You want to flash the prayer so it turns on just as the damage is being rolled (make sure the bubble appears) and then turn it off as soon as possible for maximum effect.

Most monsters attack at about the same speed (same as whip), if you have a natural rhythm, this is very easy. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get the timing down the first time.

Similar creative uses of the system-
-You can wear your water tiara in intervals in the desert only your HP drops to conserve the water runes necessary for the tiara charges. (Thanks Geve)

Credits-
-I want to thank Geve first for agreeing to edit my guide
...more to come as the guide is new.

Andey
Inactive
RSN: Andey

Re: Nubkin's mini-guide to prayer flashing~

Post by Andey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:06 am

For those of you who use prayer flashing out there, there was a bug that came in with the mouse pointer update. This bug causes the protection prayers to lag a random interval and Jagex has stated that they intend to have it fixed on the next update.

This is also a fair warning for anyone planning to take on and GodWars bosses. Make sure you have your prayer on at least 1-2 seconds before whichever boss appears.

Other prayers don't appear to be effected by this glitch so the timing still works for eagle eye and piety.

Thanks.

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Post by Lady in Ice » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm

Ty, Andey.

I seem to be failing at this. Would it be possible to watch you in action sometimes? ;)

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:38 pm

See Quick find code: 15-16-20-59521654 at RSOF.
morituri te salutant