Soul Wars Guide

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

gibsongirl13
Inactive
RSN: gibsongirl13

Soul Wars Guide

Post by gibsongirl13 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:49 pm

This is my attempt at writing a game guide...So please bear with me during this process.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Guide for Soul Wars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Choosing a winning side is luck of the draw, unless you belong to a soul wars clan. There are many different clans on the Runescape forums to choose from. I am writing this guide as if a person did not belong to one.

Object of the game is to have more avatar kills than your opposing team.

Once you enter the waiting area of the color of your choice, you will eventually enter the game. Once in the game the player has several choices of how to play the game. A person can be a defender, meaning defending your team's grave, avatar or the obelisk when your team controls the obelisk. You may choose to be an attacker and try to take the opposing team's grave away, try to take the obelisk away from the current holder or attack the opposing team's avatar. You can be a gatherer and kill the slayer monsters for their soul fragments which you will use on the obelisk once your team holds control of it. The fragments are what lower the opposing team's avatar level letting more people to attack it. You will be to attack the other avatar when its level is the same as or lower than your slayer level. So the higher your slayer level the faster you can attack it.

Playing as a defender:

If you choose to be a defender, it is wise to go straight to your team's aid station and grab a barricade. You can only carry one barricade at a time and a team can have a total of 10 set up at a time. You will want to barricade your avatar in to keep out the opposing team. Once your avatar is safely tucked away, go back to your aid station and load up on bandages and be prepared to defend your avatar. You may also choose to defend the obelisk if your team is lucky enough to be in control of it.

Playing as an attacker:

Once you have entered the game, run straight to your aid station and load up with bandages. Once fully prepared, you have 3 choices: attack the opposing team's grave, avatar or the obelisk. Even if your team currently does not have control of the obelisk you can run to it and try your best to gain control of it. Once your team has control of the obelisk you can choose to stay and help defend it or go to the opposing team's avatar and try to kill it.

Playing as a gather:

The whole aim of the game is to kill the opposing teams' avatar and to do that you need soul fragments. You obtain fragments by killing jellies or pyrefeinds. There are 4 areas in which you can kill those monsters, 2 on the north side of the field and 2 on the south side of the field. It is a good idea to collect 20-30 before taking them to the obelisk. Each fragment you collect will lower the opposing teams' avatar by one level. You can only turn in your fragments if your team is currently in control of the obelisk.

Tips:

If your team does not hold the obelisk you can bury bones to help raise your avatars level.

There is now an activity timer, so be careful it does not run out or you will be kicked out of the game and you will not receive any zeal for that game. You raise the timer by attacking people, killing slayer monsters, bandaging player, or burying bones.

Wear gear that is suited for whatever method you are using for killing. If you are a mager, wear maging outfit, if you are a melee wear your best, same for rangers.

You cannot take anything into game that is not combat related. No capes, no food, no coins. You can take potions into the game but you will have to drop the empty vials.
red aid station.jpg
this is an aid station. This is where you get barricade and bandages. Also note the top right corner. The left blue box tell you what team is in control of that grave. The middle box says who has the obelisk. The right box says who holds the grave. The long box shows you if there is damage to the avatars and what level they currently are. This box also tells you how much time is left in the game. The green bar is your activity timer. It lasts for 3 minutes so do not let it run down.
soul obelisk.jpg
this is the soul obelisk. It is set on an island in the center of the field, and is accessed via bridges. When your team is in control this is where you use soul fragments. You run up the steps, click on your fragment then click the obelisk. You will notice the other teams' avatar level drop to match what you put into the obelisk.
avatar.jpg (44.79 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
this is the avatar it is a level 525 and you can only attack it if your slayer level is at or above its current level. It will start out at 100 but as souls are added to the obelisk, its level will lower. As you attack it its health will also lower. Its level can be raised again by burying bones.

I think that I have covered all the bases of the game. If you have question just leave me a post.

gibsongirl13
Inactive

Re: Soul Wars Guide

Post by gibsongirl13 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:56 pm

There is more I would like to add....
bank andnomad.jpg
This is the main entrance. There is a bank chest and the Nomad is where you will turn in you points. It is recommended to save up 100 zeal before turning them in. You get a small bonus for turning in 100.
rewards.jpg
This is you reward page. The top right shows the amount of points you have. The pictures are the skills you can buy xp from. You can also choose to buy charms for summoning or have a pet made. I don't know much about the pets but I am working on learning about them.

Geve
Inactive
RSN: Geve0

Post by Geve » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Fantastic guide, and amazing screenshots! tyvm! :D

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Post by Lady in Ice » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:36 am

Thanks, Gibs!!

A very good guide. I´ll be playing soul wars soon :D

Geve
Inactive
RSN: Geve0

Post by Geve » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:43 am

I have a question please?

What role do you recommend is best for certain combat levels? eg. Best role for 110+ , best role for 120+, best role for 130+ ?
Same question for magers and rangers....

Oops, i guess it is more than one question lol

gibsongirl13
Inactive

Post by gibsongirl13 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:26 pm

It will depend at what time you get into the game. Not all players in the holding pens will get into the game at the start. You enter the games in like waves. If you get into it at the start, high levels should rush the obelisk to get it under your teams control or if its not in your control try to take it away from the other team. Magers have a great advantage in the game becuase most players are not wear high mage defense gear. Ancients will rock at the game as will most high level rangers. But beware..magers get piled heavily and it can get expensive buying runes unless you make your own. Most of the rangers I know use broad bolts or steel arrows to keep their cost of supplies down. When your team has control of the obby and the opposing teams avatar level is down enough, I would send the tanks and rangers to the avatar or those that have high slayer level.

This is what I do. If I get into game at the start, I load up on bandages then rush the obby to either defend it or try my best to take it. If my team had the obby I stay to defend it until the avatar level is low enough for most of my team to attack it. I have 96 slayer but I dont rush the ava because it will be heavily caded in the beginning of the game and I am not one for suicide runs....lol...
If your team does not have the obby....magers and rangers can easily pick off players at the ava espeically if your ava is caded off early in the game.The game lasts 20 minutes so it is a must to get that obby early and collect those souls.

Just remember that whatever your team is doing there is an equal amount of players on the other side doing the same.
The winning side gets 3points for the win and the losing side gets 1, if you are lucky and draw each team gets 2points.

If we can get enough people together I could show you how to play in an empty world.

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Back when I used to have money *cough* a long time ago *cough* I used to like to go to SW with my full range void, crystal bow and barrage runes. Because practically everyone had on melee gear, I would freeze them once (sometimes twice) with a barrage and then kill them with my crystal bow. They'd usually get in one or two hits before I could freeze them. Sometimes you'd get someone with a high mage level, but I would just turn on my mage bonus prayer to make up for my lack of mage gear to freeze them. It worked like a charm, but it was a bit expensive (but fun as hell). :)