Beginner guide to Invention

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

SilentStrike
Inactive
RSN: BeDeadByDawn

Beginner guide to Invention

Post by SilentStrike » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:33 pm

Good day!

It would seem that several people have started their way into losing tons of money at the hands of invention however the tutorial..Isn't much of a tutorial and if you are like me and decided to rush through it as quick as possible, you're most likely wondering what the heck every button does and how it works, so I shall give some information to (hopefully) get you guys started.

There are two workbenches at the Invention guild area.

Left Side (Modules)

The left side workbench is only to be used once you are trying to learn a new "recipe" on what you can craft upon reaching higher levels. This is the screen that most people seem to be confused with, so I shall try and help the best I can.

http://puu.sh/mQBiw/dfe2ee56d9.jpg

Is what you will see once you have decided on a module to create and it will be the first screen you will be given. This stage is not at all hard, simply place each component into the boxes. There is a chance that they will blow up and be crossed off, this will not effect you in any way, simply keep placing them onto the boxes until it moves you into the next part of the creation.

http://puu.sh/mQBjJ/e93a900b84.jpg

This is where the resource "Inspiration" comes in. You will gain Inspiration by training any skill, or by leveling Invention itself. This is the main source that you will need to discover new research. There will be a grade extending from Poor-Satisfactory-Good-Excellent-Perfect. The higher the grade you achieve, the less Inspiration you will use for the research. At lower levels, it might not be so bad seeing "Poor - 200 Inspiration cost" When it would only require 80-90 with a Perfect grade HOWEVER once you reach higher levels, you're talking 900-2200 Inspiration and that is quite the big leap. So learning to try and get excellent/perfect grade early on, would be of great benefit later on.

http://puu.sh/mQBqA/e6b607c4f6.jpg

This is the exact same module as the one linked above, however rather than poor grade, it is on Perfect, halving the amount of Inspiration required to use.

To get perfect:

Start from the left side and move the first component into each box untill reaching the right side. The grade number will either go up or down (poor or good and higher) Place the first component into whichever box gives the best rating. Do this with the other 4 pieces and if it goes correctly, you should reach excellent and hopefully perfect Ratings. It might require you to fiddle about and move or backstep but I will get to that in the next paragraph.

In this case, (X) will be the rating number next to the grade.

This is not 100% certain as I have no proof of this actually being the case, however sometimes you will move a component into 2-3 boxes and see "good (X)" more than once, which means if you place the component into one of these boxes and perfect does NOT show up, it's possible that you picked the wrong one. So backstep to the other boxes with the same rating and try again.

http://puu.sh/mQBsq/c38a7d00ba.png

Right side bench

So you have your modules researched, now you have to use the other bench to actually make the items to be used in game. Next to your bonds icon there will be the lightbulb that will bring up your entire material inventory so you can check if you have enough resources to create these items, before venturing to the Guild only to find you have a short supply.

http://puu.sh/mQBtA/4416d4b470.png

You can also hover over each common/uncommon(Possibly rare) component and it will show you which items and objects you will need to dissamble in order to get that required component. As you can see one component (linked above) would need you to disassemble orbs, books, glass and so on. This is where alot of your well earnt money will be spent on the grand exchange trying to gather the materials. An example would be Unicorn pouches for Powerful components used in creating Augmentors. They cost roughly 7k a piece at the moment but have a low junk chance.

How to Gain Xp?

Due to Jagex having messed up several times on the launch of the elite skill, a few ways to earn Xp have drastically changed.

Gizmos
You can make weapon/armour Gizmos at lower levels and then add common materials to these Gizmos to give them an "enchant" which will have a negative or positive perk to be used with the augmented gear (will get to augments in a moment) This will give you 1-2k experience per gizmo and you can then dismantle them or keep them for use in the future.

Augmentation

Augmenting armour and weapons is currently the best way to earn experience in Invention. You make an Augment from the Workbench using components and then you are able to add them to a weapon or armour of your choice (as long as it's on the list of items you can augment, seehttp://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Augmentable_items for help). Doing so will allow your weapon/armour to gain weapon/armour EXP that can be traded for invention xp at the possible destruction of your gear.

Siphoning/Disembling

Once you reach level 27 Invention, you will unlock the Gear XP level 10. This will allow you to level your gear up to 10. You will have a choice of Siphoning or dismantling for Xp. Siphoning will simply reset your gear back to level 1 however only give you half the experience points, whereas Dissembling will destroy your gear and give you twice the amount (540k per level 10 dismantle).

Once you are level 60 Invention, you will unlock gear level 12. Level 12 allows you to Siphon your gear for the same Xp as dismantling a level 10 (540k) would. HOWEVER level 12 requires twice the amount of Xp gain than that of a level 10. So as a matter of opinion, I would only ever use siphoning on t90 gear or your best gear available when bossing/high level pvming/slaying and not too worried about gaining quick Xp as you are essentially only getting 540k for level 12 while in that time, you could have reached level 10 twice and dismantled them for over 1million XP.

Siphoning is best used for higher level gear that you do not wish to get rid of. T70 such as GWD and barrows armour is best for destroying at level 10 as it's more experience in a shorter time. However this is of course up to you.

I will update more if people have more questions but I hope this helps you all out.

-BeDead

Oobz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Oobz

Re: Beginner guide to Invention

Post by Oobz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Nicely done mate, this will definitely help once I decide to train the skill :D
Image Image

Cally Raven
Site Admin
Site Admin
RSN: Cally Raven

Post by Cally Raven » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:47 pm

Big thanx, I've been winging this skill all the way so far. Need to find out how to make some decent perks tho :D
Image]

Katy
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: K aty

Post by Katy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:52 pm

There are decent perks??
Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting

“She who dies with the most shoes wins!

Touristguide
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Touristguide

Post by Touristguide » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:08 am

Thanks for the very helpful guide, I have used it already!

Ducky Fuzz
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Ducky Fuzz

Post by Ducky Fuzz » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:19 am

thanks for that :)

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:33 am

Thanks, this helps a lot. Any hints on which items are best to disassemble? Seems like I get mostly junk.

SilentStrike
Inactive

Post by SilentStrike » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Lower level items will give higher junk (such as terrorbird pouch, will have maybe 25-30% junk. While Steel titan has 0%)

I can't really say which is best as it depends on your price range. If you have 30-40million to blow on supplies then you can go for unicorn/titan pouches for Powerful Components or yew rather than maple logs for simple parts and so on. Couldn't really tell you what to dissasemble as it would depend on which components and parts you were looking for. The best thing to do is look at the list of what items you need to dismantle for the components you require and experiment with prices on GE.

Aerumnous
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Aerumnous

Post by Aerumnous » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Nice guide, thanks!
ImageImage

Jax
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Erebos Jax

Post by Jax » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Gridenough wrote:Thanks, this helps a lot. Any hints on which items are best to disassemble? Seems like I get mostly junk.
Usually you get the best stuff from rare or unique items. This is a part of my little research.

Shops
Nardok's Bone Weapons
Slayer store
White Knight store

Common
Base parts - Board-tipped bolts (bolts, weapons with hilts, shields)
Blade parts - (stabbing, slashing and thrown weapons)
Clear parts - Crystal flasks (glass)
Crafting parts - Mahogany planks (pouches, spears, arrows, 2H crossbows, potions, planks)
Deflection parts - (armours, shields, defenders, helberds)
Dextrous parts - (sword, longswords, maces, bows, crossbows)
Flexible parts - Magic shieldbow (bows, whips, pouches)
Organic parts - (seeds, food, potions)
Simple parts - Mahogany planks and logs (logs, planks)
Tensile parts - Magic shieldbow (bows, crossbows, randed armours)

Uncommon
Enhancing components - Ring of slaying (potions, jewellery, glass, food, orbs and books)
Powerful components - Battlestaff (staves, pouches, magic armours)
Precious components - Ring of slaying (jewellery)
Protective components - D'hide vamp (armours, shields)
Strong components - Magic shieldbow (melee armours, shields, 2H weapons, hatchets, shieldbows)

Note: this I have purely made for myself, so some thing there might look odd, as the mahogany plank, I disassemble em since I have over 5k of em.
Qotsisajak
Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.
Tyûkjontû châtsatul nu midwan.
Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha.
Ashajontû kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

Steam: Devilnion
Origin: Holgoma
Anime-Planet: Devilnion

SilentStrike
Inactive

Post by SilentStrike » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:15 am

Blade parts are good to get by going to Varrock sword shop, Warrior guild weapon shop and places like that, as long as you only get steel and above as bronze/iron are like 90% junk and not even worth the time and money lol.

Pouches are best for Powerful components but that's just my opinion, never tried battle staves. As long as you can find a pouch not being merched or insanely brought out by everyone else in the game and cost too much money.

Jax
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Erebos Jax

Post by Jax » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:53 am

SilentStrike wrote:Pouches are best for Powerful components but that's just my opinion, never tried battle staves. As long as you can find a pouch not being merched or insanely brought out by everyone else in the game and cost too much money.
I have noticed that for powerful comp are easily gained from slayer's staves, but you can only buy 10 at a time and although they restock fast it's not the best option if you need em in higher quantity.
Qotsisajak
Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.
Tyûkjontû châtsatul nu midwan.
Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha.
Ashajontû kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

Steam: Devilnion
Origin: Holgoma
Anime-Planet: Devilnion

FatFingers23
Site Admin
Site Admin
RSN: FatFingers23
RSN2: FitFingers

Post by FatFingers23 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:06 pm

Chaos runs are my go to for powerful componets

Aeversme
Inactive
RSN: Ace Aardvark

Post by Aeversme » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:46 am

I gather rune minotaur pouches give the best powerful component rate, but they're pretty pricey. I will post my typical daily routine for gathering components soon...