Fish Flingers

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Milly
RSN: Milly

Fish Flingers

Post by Milly » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:56 am

To access the Fish Flingers island (Isla Anglerine), you can talk to one of the fishermen with the minigame icon above his head. They can be found in several locations:

Inside the Fishing Guild
Catherby beach
Southern part of Living Rock Caverns
Shilo Village
Piscatoris Fishing Colony
Barbarian Village
North-west of Lumbridge
South-east of Lumbridge Swamp
South-west of Draynor Village
Burthorpe
At the docks south of Burgh de Rott
On the shores of the Barbarian Outpost

The aim of the game is to find the correct combination of location, bait, hook type and weight to catch each of the 6 fish.

You can talk to the fisherman without teleporting to the island to get two free tickets a day up to a maximum of 10 stored tickets. You can also find tickets while fishing and store an additional 5 tickets up to a maximum of 15 before you will not receive any more tickets. You can also receive a ticket while fishing in the minigame. One ticket is used when the game starts (when the counter reaches 0) so you do not lose a ticket for entering the minigame lobby.

The Fish

There are 6 types of fish to find the combination for:

Bass
Cod
Herring
Pike
Salmon
Trout

Locations

There are 4 locations on the island:

Docks
Lake
River
Beach

There will always be at least one fish at each location and two of the locations will contain 2 different fish.

Fisherman Hints

You can enter the game lobby up to 5 minutes before the start of the next game. To find out how long there is until the next game, you can either ask one of the fishermen, talk to the fisherman's wife outside of the Fishing Guild, or use the "check time" option on your tackle box.

On entering the game you will find yourself in the lobby. At one end there is a teleport where you can exit the game, and at the other end there is a table where you can claim rewards or most importantly, GET HINT.

If you are using the World 89 Fish Flingers chat, "2flingfish" you MUST write your hint in the friends chat or you will be kicked. You can get your hint any time up to 4 minutes prior to the start of the game. There will be a timer showing time until next game.

The hint will always be "type of fish", "location", "clue on either bait type, hook type, weight to apply"
And you should repeat your hint in the friend chat as such...
eg. Herring Beach Worm

Bait Types

There are 8 different bait types, each of which will have a different clue given by the fisherman:

Worm (clue is red wriggling creature)
Maggot (clue is brown wriggling creature)
Cricket (clue is brown leaping insect)
Locust (clue is green leaping insect)
Green Moth (clue is green fluttering insect)
Grey Moth (clue is grey fluttering insect)
Crayfish (clue is grey shellfish)
Shrimp (clue is red shellfish)

No two fish in any game will have the same bait type, and 6/8 bait types will be used in every game.

Hook Types

There are 6 hook types, all of which will be used in each game meaning that no two fish will use the same hook type:

Standard hook (clue is normal hook)
Slim hook (clue is the fish has a small mouth)
Double hook (clue tells you that the fish will require a double hook)
Large hook (clue is the fish has a wide mouth)
Bone/Wooden hook (the clue does not specify which, two fish will be in this category and the clue is "spots metal a mile off")

Weight/Distance Clues

The clues for weight will be given as a distance from the shore ie. you must attach more weight for the line to reach fish which are further away from the shore. These clues are given in 3 categories and there will be two fish for each category (one for each weight):

weight 1 or 2 (clue given as close to the shore / not much weight)
weight 3 or 4 (clue given as a fair distance but not too far / a few weights)
weight 5 or 6 (clue given as far from the shore / a lot of weights)

The compiler

If you are playing in the 2flingfish friends chat, there will be a person in the chat known as the compiler who will tell the members of the chat all of the combinations as soon as they know them. This is called the "full compile". They may also do a "part compile" or "pre compile" before the game starts with a list of all the current clues so that the combo hunters can get the combinations quickly once the game has started.

Once you are in game the following (which I pinched from RS Wiki) will appear in your inventory window:

As the combinations are posted in the friend chat, run to the location specified, select the correct bait, hook and weight and click cast. For weights above 3 you will need to select a combination of the weights given (1, 2 and 3) You will easily be able to get all 6 fish in the 10 minutes of the game following the combinations given in the friend chat.

At the end of the game you will get a reward of xp, medals and tokens, and maybe a podium position which is the top 5 players in the game. There are different strategies to gain each of these different items which I will outline in the next post.

Milly

Re: Fish Flingers

Playing for medals

You can gain up to 4 medals per game. The medals are:

Junior Angler: Find the perfect tackle for three species.
Master Angler: Find the perfect tackle for all six species.
Whopper: Catch 3 big fish.
Team Player: Assist in catching at least 6 big fish.

If you follow the combinations given you will automatically be awarded the Junior and Master Angler medals each game.

To get the "whopper" medal (the hardest one to get) you will have to catch 3 big fish. You will have a chance at hooking a big fish every time you catch a fish when you have a 100% rating (you will have a 100% rating every time you are using the correct combination to catch a fish) To get this medal I recommend going through the docks, lake, river and ending at the beach. Then simply cast and DO NOT recast (click on cast again) or clear line. There can only ever be one big fish in each spot so to maximize your chance at hooking one, stand in a spot where nobody else is standing. Don't stand in the crowd. Once you have hooked a big fish, you will need assistance from the other players. If they are feeling generous they will run to help you with your catch but you can usually ask for help and get enough people to reel in your big fish. You can spot a big fish by the bubbles on the water, looking like a normal fishing spot outside of the minigame. Once you have caught 3 big fish, no more will appear for you until the next game.

To get Team Player you will need to assist 6 others with their big fish catches. You can see when someone has hooked a big fish when the bubbles appear on the water and you can click on these bubbles to assist. While only 6 assists will be counted, you can assist as many times as you like so if you have a bit of spare time at the end after catching your whoppers, don't be stingey! Help out others, it's a team game.

You can see how many assists you have given and also how many big fish you have caught (there will be a number in the brackets) on the status bar at the top of your screen:

Playing for tokens

If you are only playing for tokens and not for medals, just stay at the docks for the entire game. Find one of the correct combinations for the docks and then "recast" (click on cast again) every time you catch another fish. You will be able to tell when you have caught a fish if you watch the weight section on the latest catch information, and click the recast button every time the weight changes. You will earn one token per 4 fish caught at 100% rating, and one for every big fish caught. Using this method you risk losing any big fish you have hooked because you will unhook when you recast. However this will not matter if you are not playing for medals as it is much quicker to catch 4 fish than to catch one big fish if you do not have a few assistants. Using this method you should be able to get upwards of 35 tokens per game, useful if you are looking to get the outfit quickly (gives a fish xp bonus)

You also gain one token per big fish caught, one per every two assists given (up to 3 tokens for this) and one per two combinations found (again up to 3 tokens can be gained from this). The assists I think are worth doing but if you are solely going for tokens there is no point in running around gaining combinations as you could catch 4 fish faster than working out 2 combinations. You can also catch 4 regular fish quicker than one big fish depending on the time of the game (will get more assists at the start) so I would recommend not looking out for big fish after about 7 minute mark as you will not be able to get assists quick enough.

As I am currently playing for tackle boxes which require both medals and tokens, I will usually get to the beach as quick as possible picking up the other combinations on the way, and then use the recast method at the beach assisting whenever someone hooks a whopper to get my team player medal.

Playing for a podium position

The podium positions are given to the players with the top 5 scores. The score is determined by a number of things. Here is the formula for score if anyone is interested:

Y = A + B + C + D + E + F, where:

A = Fish caught (70~79 = 1) (80~89 = 2) (90~109 = 3) (110~129 = 4) (130> = 5) (Max 5 points)
B = Big fish catches * 2 (Max 6 points)
C = Big fish assisted (Max 6 points)
D = Total weight / 500 (Max 20 points)
E = Heaviest weight / 60 (Max 3 points)
F = Perfect tackles discovered + Perfect tackle medals earned (Max 8 points)
Y = Total points (Max 48 points)

If you click on the "ratings" button under your status panel, you will see a window similar to this:

To get a higher score, I'd recommend staying at docks quick casting and assisting until the combos are announced in chat. Then quickly run round getting all of the combos and either check in the ratings window above to find the fish listed as heaviest, or it will usually be announced in chat. Once you have gained all 6 combos, run to the location of heaviest fish and keep quick casting til the end. If you haven't gained all 6 assists you should easily be able to do this as most people will be at the location of the heaviest fish. There is a bar under the status panel which will show a percentage. Once this reached 100%, it will go back to 0% but there will be a [1] beside the bar. This means that the location has depleted, so quickly run to the location of the next heaviest (or "heavy" in ratings panel) fish and quick cast until the end. While you are quick casting, try to keep an eye on chat box where it will come up in orange if you have hooked a big fish. If possible, try to get 1 or 2 big fish at docks at the start (so try to stand in a spot where there is no crowd) because people will be more likely to assist at this stage.

Heaviest Fish Award

This is awarded to everyone who has caught a fish of weight 199. If you have caught one, it will show your name. If not, it will show someone else's name so this is not a unique award and nothing to get excited about ;)

Milly

Compiling and Combo Hunting

In here I will explain how to be the compiler of a game, and how to hunt down the combos to help out the compiler.

The compiler will probably be using a program to compile. The following is the compile program used by 2flingfish:

http://www.flingfisher.com/index.php

Using this, you input the clues given by the hinters before the game has started, and the precompile will give you a set of partial combinations. You can choose to read out the precompile in the friend chat (in fact I think the rule for a rank in the channel is that you must precompile at 1 minute until start) but I personally will not do this if I am compiling as I prefer to watch for late clues and to check and verify each combo myself in case of any dodgy hints given.

Press compile before the start of the game and you can update as you find combos. The compiler program will determine remaining clues by elimination as there cannot be duplicate baits, weight or hook type and it will be able to rule these out if you regularly update with combos as you find them.

Provided the clues have all been correctly given, you should be able to have a full compile before 7 minutes until end so then read out the combos in chat (it is in the rules that everyone must be silent for a full compile) and then repeat the compile when the timer reaches 3 minutes until end.

The next part will be complicated if you are new to this so please only read if you are planning on combo hunting and understand how to play the game.

Combo Hunting

This is the method that I use to quickly work out all of the combos. Remember to watch in chat too because it is partially based on luck and sometimes someone will get the combo before you do but in my experience there are not many people who will be trying to work out combos.

I ALWAYS use the compiler program when I am running through the game, regardless of whether I am compiling or not. By the time the game has started I will have the compile ready and will run to the docks. The compiler program lists the combinations in order of location which is very handy for a quick full compile. Hopefully if enough people have given hints before the start of the game but if you do not know either the bait, the hook type or the weight category to apply this should help you to work it out.

Each of 1. bait 2. hook type and 3. weight are allocated 33% of the total 100% rating for the perfect combination. In order to work out what is wrong with a combination you try, you must look at the percentage you are getting.

eg. If you are getting 66% correct then you probably have two out of the three correct... or potentially will have one correct and two partially correct which I will explain later.

If you know for sure that one of the sections is correct, then try changing the others but change back if your percentage drops.

If you have a combination that is 83% correct then that means that 2/3 sections are correct and one is partially correct. A section will be partially correct if it is incorrect but the correct solution is SIMILAR to what you have chosen. Say for example you know that the bait and hook are correct and have chosen a weight of 1 to get 83%, then the correct weight would be 2. The following shows what is similar to each possible choice:

Baits:
Worm - similar to maggot (both wriggly) and similar to shrimp (both red)
Maggot - similar to worm (both wriggly) and similar to cricket (both brown)
Cricket - similar to locust (both leaping) and similar to maggot (both brown)
Locust - similar to cricket (both leaping) and similar to green moth (both green)
Green Moth - similar to grey moth (both fluttering) and similar to locust (both green)
Grey Moth - similar to green moth (both fluttering) and similar to crayfish (both grey)
Crayfish - similar to shrimp (both shellfish) and similar to grey moth (both grey)
Shrimp - similar to crayfish (both shellfish) and similar to worm (both red)

Hooks:
Standard and slim are similar
Large and double are similar
Bone and wood are similar

Weights:
1 & 2 are similar
3 & 4 are similar
5 & 6 are similar

Please not 2 is NOT similar to 3 and 5 is NOT similar to 4.

You should have the locations for all 6 fish from the hints but if not, you can tell by the text which comes up when you find a perfect combination. It will either say "you have found the correct combination for (location)" meaning there is no other fish there, or it will say "you have found one of the correct combinations for (location)" meaning there is another fish at that location.

Here is another complication. Say you have either a 66% or 33% combination. This will either mean that 2/3 and 1/3 sections are correct respectively, or that 1 section is correct and 2 are partially correct and 2 sections are partially correct and the other is completely incorrect respectively.

You will know that these percentages contain a partially correct section if you change to a dissimilar type and the percentage falls by 16% (so to 17% or 50%)

For example....

Say that you obtained a percentage of 33% from a combination of green moth, large hook and weight of 2, and you changed the bait to crayfish to get 17%, then you would know that the correct bait is one of grey moth or locust because green moth would have to be similar to the correct bait. You would also know that the correct hook would have to be double because large hook would have to be similar to the correct hook. You would also know that the weight of 2 is completely wrong so the correct weight would have to be 3, 4, 5 or 6.

I hope that this explains how to combo hunt and compile and please let me know if there is anything further I can add to this to aid your understanding. I love this game and working out combos is my favourite aspect of the minigame so I hope that you can all enjoy it too if this is something you are interested in :)!

Milly

The rewards

You will get fishing xp for every game. This amount depends on your level but at level 90+ you will rarely get less than 20k xp, making this one of the fastest methods to gain fishing xp at 60k per hour.

An additional reward is the fishing outfit. This outfit consists of the hat, jacket, waders and boots each of which costs 140 tokens and gives an xp bonus of 1% when fishing. The whole set gives a bonus of 5%.

Tackle boxes

Beginners's tackle box costs 110 tokens and 20 medals
Basic tackle box costs 230 tokens and 50 medals
Standard tackle box costs 470 tokens and 110 medals
Professional tackle box costs 900 tokens and 230 medals
Champion's tackle box costs 1860 tokens and 500 medals

Your token count will reset on each purchase but your medal count will not reset.

Additionally, obtaining the champion's tackle box is a requirement for the trimmed completionist cape.

Each tackle box can store fishing equipment and the fishing outfit. They can also teleport a set amount of raw fish to your bank each day and you can use them to check the time until the next game of Fish Flingers.

You can also purchase raw fish as a reward but I would not recommend this unless you have already got the tackle box and full fishing outfit.

Talk to any fisherman to get your rewards.

You can have a maximum of 2,000 tokens at any time and the medal count is unlimited.

Milly

Post by Milly » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Hope this is of some use to those of you planning on competing in the fishing day of the interclan competition next week!

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks, Milly!
morituri te salutant

Forever_Mad
RSN: Forever_Mad

Post by Forever_Mad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 am

Ty, Milly will surely use this :)
[sig]2013_Interclan_Forever.png[/sig]

[sig]2014_01_div_3rd.png[/sig] [sig]2014_01_slayer_3rd.png[/sig] [sig]2014_02_agility_1st.png[/sig]

Fluff
RSN: Fluff n Slay

Post by Fluff » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 am

I'd never seen the compiler before. Very nice - thanks Milly!
ImageImage

Mannichester
RSN: Mannichester

Post by Mannichester » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Great guide thanks Milly!