Advanced Strategy Guide to Fist of Guthix

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Bass
RSN: Bassjason1

Advanced Strategy Guide to Fist of Guthix

Post by Bass » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Hello! I made this guide a few months ago, and my friends and others have given me nothing but positive feedback on how they've now mastered "F.O.G." using my techniques. I'm leaving your inventory up to you, but I always reccommend Green Dragonhide for Free Players and a good grade of Dragonhide for members. Note the pics were taken in F2P and I advise that you use low detail to prevent lag unless your computer is great at handling HD.

Before you start:
I advise that free players use Green Dragonhide armor. It would look somewhat like this:
The amulet and such is optional, however I encourage everyone to "forget" their shield, as it is only deadweight and if you're hiding like I do, it hinders more than helps. Your inventory should probably be empty, aside from a staff. It seems to me that Ranged has an unspoken advantage in Fist of Guthix, but I prefer not to load myself down so much, so I leave the arrows and the bow behind.

When you're in the waiting room, look at all of your opponents and try to memorize which opponents you don't want to face. For example, I myself would remember that 99's name in so I know who I'm facing. Try to remember the first part of the higher levels' names and you should be able to know who you're facing. Knowing who you're facing is often key to deciding which approach to take when hunting or being the hunted.

The Hunted Hiding Places

Being the Hunted does NOT mean just hiding in the center. There are many strategies you can use that still pay off in the long run. First off, it is important to get at least 150 charges before your opponent even so much as sees you. Try these places, which give off a 10 charge rate, and are far enough away from the center so that your hunter will most likely not look for you there.

Pay close attention to the orientation of my compass and the minimap in this picture, as that spot gives 10 charge, and provides a good escape route to a safe house.

This is an excellent spot. It is quite far away from the center (and your hunter), and still yields a 10 charge rate, follow my compass and use that statue as a guide to find it.

This isn't one of my favorites, but it is still a good area for hiding.

This is a good spot to be in, as there is ample running room. Also, I find I can sit here for longer amounts of time, mainly because nobody assumes you're in the shallow area of the map.

Don't believe this place gives 10 charges? Well go find out for yourself, it's close to the statue, but guarded by a nice rocky outcrop.

These are only A FEW of the areas I have found which give 10 charges, which is my advice on FoG. 10 charges may not sound big, but it adds up over time. You always want to have a good number of charges before your hunter finds you, and feel free to use the tele-orb should that happen.

WHEN YOU ARE FOUND:
You have a few options here, when your hunter finds you in one of these places, tele-orb, or run east or west. If you have enough time to get the blinking arrow off your map, use it and change directions to a north or south run. Stay off the center until you are out of bandaids. If you have bandaids and you're being attacked, use a safe house. Use prayer if you have it!

If you want to really stick it to your hunter, use his targetting system to your advantage, get on the opposite side of the safe house/rock and he may get stuck. I apologize to the poor soul who I did this to:
THIS TRICK IS EVIL!

My Advice to the Hunter:
The best way to start off your hunt is to angle your camera like so:

This way, you can spot and target your opponent much faster. To start off, run to the opposite end from where you started. Unless you're facing me, the majority of players will still be starting off from their spawnpoint.

Well, that's all for now, I may add more in the future. Good luck everyone and I hope you many a bountiful match in Fist of Guthix. Special thanks goes to everyone I beat to a pulp when getting those screenies.

Remember to always have fun!

Bass :)

kodirodio
Inactive
RSN: Kodirodio

Re: Advanced Strategy Guide to Fist of Guthix

Post by kodirodio » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:07 pm

Nice! You've listed many of my strategies. One biggy you left off. I always play FOG on f2p, even though I'm a member. I'm always one of the highest levels there and my prayer is a big benefit on f2p. Of course, I'm only there for the tokens. So if that's not your main goal, p2p would prolly be more suitable.

Kodi

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:36 am

Kodi also recommended turning both trade and assist buttons to "off" -- to help identify your opponent more easily if you need to right click on a crowd
morituri te salutant

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:59 am

I use quite a different strategy, and try to get through as many games as fast as I can while winning 95% of them.

Like bass I take note of the people with 100+ combat and hope that I don't get them. Whenever I have a lower leveled player I go directly to the middle and just stand there with protection prayers on, and end up with anywhere from 1k-3k charges depending on their levels.

If its a higher leveled player (100+) I change my strategy based on who attacks first. If I'm the hunted first I'll always wait a few seconds after I get the orb and then use my teleport to the middle, hopefully arriving there after he's gotten annoyed and runs off to look for me. Then once he finds me I'll just protect prayer and +15% def or +15% magic depending on his attacks.

If I'm the hunter first I rush the middle, wait 10 seconds and if he hasn't shown up I'll start looking around the buildings. When they're kind enough to play the way I do and just go to the middle I'll range/mage/melee them, switching attacks when I see the protect prayer.

On the few times when they run and hide, and try to shake me off through using the buildings to teleport I get angry at them :-x . Then I make sure to "protect" the middle of the buildings and make darts out to a building then back to the middle, wait until the run is charged, then dart again. Its against these people that I get mean as a hunted :twisted: . I'll still wait a few seconds before using my teleport orb, and then wait in the middle until I can see his arrow on the map. Then its tank/drag/hug time. I drag them between the buildings, always going to the opposite side to "trap" them behind the buildings. Also if they're using melee I hug around the two groups of rocks that are directly between two of the buildings. All the while I'm dragging and hugging I conserve prayer by turning it off once I'm out of attack range, then put it back on when I see them getting close.

I played this for a few hours today and got about 300 tokens averaging about 14/game, and making them quick games too.
bleissa wrote:Kodi also recommended turning both trade and assist buttons to "off" -- to help identify your opponent more easily if you need to right click on a crowd
Thats a great tip, thanks for sharing it. I've often been annoyed when playing on full worlds when there's too many opts to get to my target, now should be smooth sailing :).
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:14 am

Nel, thanks for the discussion. However, I'm clueless to your use of the terms "dragging and hugging". Please explain.
morituri te salutant

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:04 am

Dragging - Running between obstacles to keep yourself out of their attack range (works best with high agility).
Hugging - Running around an obstacle so they cannot attack you. An example of a spot to do this (not one I use though) is in this next image. All the spots where there is an arrow is a potential stopping spot where the attacker will have to click again to get within melee range, otherwise they're on the other side of the rocks. Image

Here's and example vid of hugging with a little bit of dragging mixed in. Just try and apply this to fog whenever you get melee attacked (hugging doesn't work against rangers/mages unless you do it around the buildings). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mkhd5hYSnQ
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

cwadark0ne
Inactive
RSN: cwadark0ne

Post by cwadark0ne » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:00 am

Very interesting, I don't really play fog but I might try this out for @#$% and giggles.