EOC for dummies

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Imp334
Inactive
RSN: Sqwire

EOC for dummies

Post by Imp334 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:14 pm

The evolution of combat has brought many changes to the game, especially to combat. I hope to help with some of the basics of the EOC style of combat that can be used for all types of combat

There are a few general important parts of EOC combat
1. Building adrenaline
-Every combat style has a basic ability with a 3 second cooldown. This can be used every other hit in order to build and keep adrenaline up effectively. Having adrenaline is important because it allows you to use more powerful attacks. at 50% adrenaline, threshold abilities unlock, and at only at 100% can ultimates be used
2. Prioritizing abilities
-Instead of spamming whichever ability is available, you must know which abilities are your strongest and should be used first, and which are weaker and should be used as a last resort. You should never be wasting time with autoattacks
3. Focus
-Although it is difficult to get used to, you must practice keeping an eye on your hp and prayer levels so you do not run out while watching ability cooldowns. A couple methods of doing this is to glance at it every once in a while, or you can memorize ability combos ahead of time. For practice with this, I suggest 'The Brink of Extinction' quest, or if that is finished, the Fight Cauldron minigame. They force you to watch the floor tiles, your enemies, and yourself to survive, it is very good practice.

Melee:
Twohanded Melee:
I recommend 2h melee for nearly all melee situations, the extra power is very helpful and it gives many multitarget options that are very useful in slayer, dungeoneering, and many other areas of the game.
This picture shows my current setup, it is designed to build adrenaline effectively and use it on powerful thresholds, rather than using ultimates.
#1 is the most basic ability and #3 has only a 5 second cooldown, 4 is a stun (may replace with backhand), and 5 is the most powerful basic ability. 6 is a bleed effect, and 7 is a combo attack, so you must remember not to interrupt it if you want full damage. #8 attacks surrounding enemies and can lower their defence, #9 is a stronger version with no special effect, and #0 only attacks enemies stacked together on the same space, not the area surrounding you. The last 2 are free for anything you may need, if you want to put food or quickprayers or defensive abilities there is up to you.
Please note: These are only basic descriptions, I highly suggest you read the in-game descriptions of all abilities for more details
A good way to build adrenaline to threshold level with this setup is 1,2,1,5,1,3
If you prefer using ultimate abilities, this can be rearranged to extend the combo: 2,1,3,1,5,1,3,1,2,1,3,1,4
Feel free to practice the combos at the lumbridge combat academy dummies to build the habit of using them.
Proud Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Imp334
Inactive

Re: EOC for dummies

Post by Imp334 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Much of the information in the melee section carries over to the other combat styles

2h Ranged:
#1 basic, #2 5 sec, #3 stun, #4 bleed, #5 most powerful threshold, #7 aoe, #8 powerful aoe, 9+ are ultimates and misc.

Threshold combo: 1,2,1,3,1,2
Ultimate combo: 1,2,1,3,1,2,1,4,1,2,1,3,1,2,1

For dual weilding ability bar setup, simply switch #2 dazing shot with Needle strike, and your choice of dual weilding ultimate or misc. ability to replace #9

Imp334
Inactive

Post by Imp334 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Magic!

2h setup
Very similar to ranged setup
#1 basic, #2 5sec, #3 stun, #4 bleed, #6 strong threshold, #7 AOE, #8 is proximity AOE, hits enemies lined up in front of you, 9+ are ultimates and misc.

Threshold combo: 1,2,1,3,1,2,1
Ultimate combo: 1,2,1,3,1,2,1,4,1,2,1,3,1,2,1

Please post :)

Fothas
RSN: Fothas

Post by Fothas » Tue May 28, 2013 8:10 pm

I love this guide, but for me one of the most important aspects is re-binding of keys. 1234567 ect is really inefficient, it's much harder to be accurate moving from 1-= and it's also un-natural to move your hand, for me I use the bindings:

qwer
asdf

These bindings allow you to rest your left hand across 4 keys, and move quickly from row to row with a huge decrease in the chance of misclicking/fat fingering. It has some other benefits as well, you can split rows into functions, for e.g. single combat abilities on 1-4 then multi on q-r. Or, like me you can have thresholds on the middle row and use 1-4 in rotation of basics to raise adrenaline. The other benefit for me is I can have Freedom on the F key, which feels right for someone with a background in games with intuitive key binds.

One of the keys for me is making a bar/binding layout you like, then keeping it, say for example you do dungeoneering on a regular basis; make a dg bar and never change it. Put your gate binds on there and spend time getting used to it; ideally you want to be able to do the abilities without looking at the pad, and be able to do your key rotation without thinking about it. My key rotation 1213141q1w1e1r is something I've gotten so used to doing I can just do it without any thought, this kind of practice makes everything else a doddle, you can then use your eyes to focus on things like prayer switching and food eating.

A topic of normally hot discussion is prayer switching; personally I've absolutely hated having overhead prayers on my bar, they feel out of place and slow to respond, also they are not on cool downs so I feel they affect the rythm of the combat, I'd much rather have the prayer tab open and mouse switch while using abilities. I do however like having some prayers on the bar, on my range dg bar for example I have the range turmoil (anguish?) because my quick prayer is SS + turmoil, this allows me to pres 'ctrl 2 (switch to range bar), click quick prayers then press r to put on anguish. Moving quickly and efficiently from mele to range.

Sorry for the essay :(
[center]Runes before god dam f'in doors!
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Fothas][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/red/pose/0/Fothas.png[/img][/url]
[spoiler][sig]2014_01_slayer_1st.png[/sig][/spoiler][/center]

Fluff
RSN: Fluff n Slay

Post by Fluff » Wed May 29, 2013 2:14 am

I have resorted to putting blue tac on my important keys ^
ImageImage

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Post by Lady in Ice » Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks for the tips!

Exactly what I needed- someone to tell me the best setup of ability bar :)

Right now I have a mess there and hitting the abilities totally randomly :lol:

Cally Raven
Site Admin
Site Admin
RSN: Cally Raven

Post by Cally Raven » Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanx for the guide :D
Image]

Wynn Andye
Inactive
RSN: Wynn Andye

Post by Wynn Andye » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Thank you, thank you ... what a great guide imp!

I am going to refer to this often and will help me in game. I try to write stuff down I hear but now thanks to you I now have a guide to go to when I need it!

And... it's "Imp approved!"

Wynn
~:>

Imp334
Inactive

Post by Imp334 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:20 am

I agree with you Fothas. For the sake of the guide, I will still refer to the abilities by the numbers here, but I encourage the readers to change the keybindings to what is comfortable for them. 1234qwerasdf would work well.
Personally since I'm used to the switching interfaces around and all that of pre-eoc, my dung setup has the prayer book open and the magic teleport book open so I have all the different options available depending on what I need.

Now that you've learned some of the basics of abilities, lets look at some of the more interesting abilities again

Punish (melee 2) does bonus damage to a stunned enemy.
In pvp, Smash (melee 3) turns off enemy protection prayers
Your stun (melee 4) does 188% damage to enemies immune to stun. This does the same damage as Sever (melee 5), so even if your enemy is immune to stun, you can still do good damage with this ability.
Sever (melee 5) reduces the damage an enemy deals by 10% while also doing great damage for a basic ability
Slaughter (melee 6) increases damage x3 if the affected enemy moves. A good reliable way to get the enemy to move and suffer x3 damage is to walk underneath them. Please take note that you should not walk underneath certain boss npcs such as Corp that have a "stomp" attack.
Quake (melee 8 ) will drain 5% enemy defense if they are over 90% heath, however Hurricane (melee 9) does 88% more damage

So what does this tell us?
These special conditions for extra effects give us bonuses if we correctly combo our abilities.
Example: Slaughter, Kick, punish combo should cause a bleed, kick will knockback for x3 damage and stun, causing punish to deal extra damage.
If you're going against a crowd of enemies like for slayer, you may want to do quake if most enemies still have 90% health, and do hurricane second. If most of the enemies already have health missing or you don't need the defense drain against them, it may be worthwhile to skip quake and do hurricane right away for the higher damage.

When you have the routine down from part 1, you can start to adjust the ability rotation to maximize your effectiveness further.

Imp334
Inactive

Post by Imp334 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:40 am

As before, the ranged ability bar is very similar to the melee one

#1 this time deals bonus damage to stunned targets
#3 does bonus damage to targets immune to stun
#4 does bonus damage if the target moves
After the ultimate ability update, I would recommend not using 0 and instead using 9 or Death's Swiftness. 9 Gives more burst(250-350% damage in 1 hit), but Death's swiftness would give more sustained damage (50% bonus for 30 seconds)

Imp334
Inactive

Post by Imp334 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:47 am

And again, magic is much the same with some variation
#1 does bonus damage to stunned targets
#3 does extra damage to targets immune to stun
#4 this time does NOT do extra damage to moving targets
#6 is very useful as it stuns the target over the duration while doing huge damage

Due to ultimate ability update, I would recommend switching #0 to Sunshine for sustained damage. It gives the same damage bonus while lasting for a longer duration and damaging enemies that enter the area. However, since this is an area based ability, it is only worth using if you can afford to stay still. If you need to be mobile, in pvp for example, #0 might be a better choice

big thugn
RSN: Dr Melic

Post by big thugn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for the help. Never quite got RS combat.
PHD(Googleoligy)

tis ur momma
Inactive
RSN: Tis Ur Momma

Post by tis ur momma » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:09 am

I still to this day just hit numbers without a knowledge way and then I wonder why I am dead smh

Imp334
Inactive

Post by Imp334 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:16 pm

tis ur momma wrote:I still to this day just hit numbers without a knowledge way and then I wonder why I am dead smh
I suggest practicing the combos I have there until you become very familiar with them. When you don't have to think about when your abilities will be ready to use, you can concentrate on other things like your hp/prayer bar a lot better