Zamorak GWD Guide (updated)

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Zamorak GWD Guide (updated)

Post by Dima » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 pm

Update (April 27th 2009): Fixed info about K'ril's special attack. Apparently drains half of your prayer rather than what he hits. Also going to remove the magic prayer tanking.

First of, if you have never been inside the God Wars dungeon, this should provide an excellent (and must, before going on with the guide) read. I recommend reading the guide twice, top to bottom, to build a nice picture of how the inventory and equipment blend into the actual fighting process.

Preparation:
First time GWDers going on this trip should be ready with a Falador teleport and a rope. After talking to the dying knight and delivering the message to Sir Tiffy, you are free to attach the rope to the edge of the pit, and descend if you wish (having Saradomin and Zamorak items equipped).
The common way to fight the Zamorak boss monster is similar to B-GWD trips, where the team divides to a number warriors and a single tank. Unlike with Bandos however, the emphasis here is sharing supplies with the tank as the boss deals far greater damage than General Graardor, and also eliminates the ability to use the Guthan set efficiently.

Equipment:
Tank/warriors setup:
Warrior - With a high Magic level (80 and above) wield standard equipment with the exception of black dragonhide or, preferably, Karil's top, along with melee leggings. For levels below that, it's recommended to use the Protect from Magic prayer with any type of melee armour. The Godsword is the best recommendation for a weapon while a whip+defender combo being the second most used, and the Verac set becoming an option if you use magic protection. You can bring a dragon halberd or dagger for extra firepower if you're using the latter. Rangers should bring standard ranging equipment as well, with the exception of a shield and a melee helm. 300 enchanted diamond bolts will last through the whole trip (ruby bolts are unnecessary).
Tank - Either mixed magic and melee protection, or gear that adds up to nearly 400 slash defence points.

Inventory:
Base Equipment (both warriors and tanks):
Saradomin and Zamorak items; two home teleporation tablets; two super anti-poison potions; four prayer potions.
Custom Equipment: Tank/warriors setup.
Warrior - As mentioned earlier, a good chunk of the supplies you take, both prayer potions and food, will be handed to the tank. The inventory depends solely on your willingness to help the team - better healing items, such as brews and familiars carrying additional supplies will help extend the trip further. Of course that as a clan, we should all grab brews and restores, but as long as you bring anything helpful, it's well appreciated. If you choose to bring any BoB* familiars, take enough pouches to sustain them for around two hours, on top of the pouch you will lose when crossing the river. Bringing healing familiars to use after the BoB has been emptied is a good idea. Take 3 of each super attack and strength (or ranging) potions as well.
Tank - Brews/restores by the barrel, with a BoB carrying extra. The Fruit Bat familiar is more handy and easier to use here than titans/unicorns. Bring about 6-8 super restores if you're planning on praying magic.
* BoB - A Beast of Burden familiar; One that carries items.

Track:
To make the most out of your inventory space, you can fill the two empty spaces created after teleporting to Trollheim by doing the 'teleport drop trick'. To do this, start by having enough runes for two Trollheim and one Camelot teleports. Once arrived to Trollheim, drop two items on the floor, teleport to Camelot, fill in the empty slots, then teleport back to Trollheim and pick what you've dropped. If you're not planning on using a BoB, just load a terrorbird with two items and take them out after teleporting.
The same method is used to 'smuggle' familiars' supplies to the Zamorak Fortress. Walk to the bridge and call your familiar. Dismiss it and swim across. Drop the amount of items your familiar was holding, swim back to the entrance hall, pick the items your familiar has dropped, then go back inside the fortress, resummon your familiar, fill it, and pick what you've dropped.

Battle:
K'ril Tsutsaroth, the Zamorak boss monster, is considered the easiest boss in the dungeon due to the fact that he doesn't have multi-target attacks, leaving the team a lot of choice about the way dealing with him. Additionally, he's pretty big (literally, 4x4 squares), making tank mess ups easy to fix by just 'standing on' him.

Kill Count:
Zamorak's followers' levels range between imps to werewolves, making KC relatively fast. The most common area to build KC at is the north-eastern quarter of the entrance hall, killing imps and icefiends, or werewolves and bloodvelds which are already in combat. Your second option is inside the fortress, where there're four imp spawns which require a bit of running.
Once done, cross the river, smuggling your familiar in the process if needed, and wait near the door.

Fighting K'ril:
Prior to entering the room, refill your prayer points (one sip of brew and two of a super restore is ideal), and drink a super anti-poison potion along with any boosting potions.
K'ril uses three types of attacks, two of which are useless, and one which causes most of the trouble. The first is a common melee attack which hits very high and poisons (16 instead of 6) but is easily blocked by the melee protection prayer. The second is a magic attack which rarely hits, but is able to deal damage up to the high 20s. The third is a rarely used (none to twice per spawn) special attack, which hits through the melee prayer and up to a 60 (though I can't recall anything higher than 56), slicing your prayer points in two (90 will turn to 45, but 20 will turn to 10 as well). The decision to be made then is what kind of tanking you prefer to do - block melee attacks, which hit up to a 46, but regularly absorb the special hits, or block magic attacks at the cost of being hit by his melee attack. The latter is not ideal if you don't have 99 Defence (or very close to it) and expensive equipment, but can be maid easier in bigger teams, not to mention that it actually takes him three hits to finish you off. With either in mind, fast kills is what determines the success of the trip.
The tactic is for the tank to simply attract K'ril's attention and let the team finish him off - busying himself at keeping HP high. As in most GWD trips, sooner or later the tank will mess up. When that happens, the target should turn Protect from Melee on, sip an anti-poison potion and along with everyone stand on the centre of him until he switches back to the tank. Once he's dead, kill Balfrug Kreeyath (black coloured demon; mage) first, Zakl'n Gritch (throws snowballs) second, and finally Tstanon Karlak.
When done, position yourselves over one of the eastern corners of the room, near the altar.

The Altar:
The altar can replenish your Prayer points (giving a minor boost) about every 10 minutes. You may also notice it has a right-click Teleport option. This teleports you outside the room yet inside of the fortress. If you choose to do it instead of using a teleportation tablet, make sure you equip your Zamorak item prior, or immediately after teleporting. Note that you'll need 40 fresh kills to re-enter the room.

Final Notes:
Two things. Firstly, once we're done, a few teleport through the altar to ensure no one lagged and died. Secondly, on an entirely different tone, Zamorak trips are the least popular in the dungeon, so no pressure about world lookout.
It's also worth mentioning that K'ril Tsutsaroth is classed as a 'lesser demon', so if you happen to have slayer helm, an Armadyl Godsword, and a lesser demon Slayer assignment, please come and entertain us.

Recommended Equipment:
Equipment: White marks the three items you keep on death; yellow the Protect Item one.
Melee:
Image Image

Ranged:
Image Image

Inventory
General spirit terrorbird inventory:

Additional Info:
This time included into the suggested inventory pics, is the Imp in a Box, capable of delivering (twice) stackable items, such as coins, from the underground slaughterhouse directly to your bank account. Should you have any worries about dying and losing a valuable drop share, just select the coins and click on the box. The imp requires 71 Hunter to trap, and a whole bunch of them can be found in the eastern side of the monastery north of port Khazard. The imps inside the GWD cannot be trapped.
Another curious items that's directly related to Z-GWD trips is the upgraded versions of the super anti-poison, namely the Antipoison++. If you can afford to buy 20 brews/restores than you can certainly go for these. 4 potions will last for about three hours (mainly good for the tanks).
Those who chose to tank K'ril with magic protection may want to consider buying one of the non-corrupt Statius equipment, which give an undisputed edge for your defence and has been going down steadily for a good time.
And a reminder about some familiars' scroll usage:
Lastly, a word about the titan and unicorn scroll usage. As some of you know, the familiar's special bar restores 15 of its 60 points every thirty seconds. With the mentioned familiars' scrolls however, these 30 seconds seem to reset each time you use one. For example, if you use a scroll and have 40/60 points left, then use another one 20 seconds later, you'll have to wait 30 seconds instead of 10 to get these 15 points to restore. Now, I don't know whether it's a bug or intentional (the Fruit Bat doesn't suffer from this), but this requires some tactical usage, otherwise you might end up restoring half of what you're actually capable off. Simply put, if you've 30 points left, and about 5 seconds to replenish time, it's recommended to wait these 5 second, as that way you can restore double the HP at half the time (as each scroll uses 20 points).
Last edited by Dima on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:07 am, edited 16 times in total.
I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.

Keizari
Inactive
RSN: Keizari

Re: Zamorak GWD Guide

Post by Keizari » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:56 am

Feel free to delete this post, if you disagree and think it messes up the guide.

We went to Zamorak yesterday (was a nice trip and went pretty well I think) and the strategy for every dps (damage dealers) was to pray mage, untill the big guy and the mage guy was dead. I felt I was not geared properly, because I had magic resistance gear on, but the prayer took out the mage damage, so I felt I would have needed range and melee resistance gear instead.

So, should the example gear be chanced to something different (like melee barrow armor) or add an another chapter for the strategy that we used? (I got the picture that other option was not to use prayer at all and let the hides resist the magic. No one used this strategy, if I am not mistaken.)

Cheerios
Keizari - 91/99/75 - 99 prayer, 94 magic
Celer Letum - 96 ranged - 65cb
Okko Tome - 60/78/1 - 66cb

QueenMaedh
RSN: Queen Maedh

Post by QueenMaedh » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:03 am

No I did. For the majority of the time first the first hour I did not pray at all and occasionally toggled prayer types on and off depending on which minion was attacking me. I realised quite quickly however that due to sgs and altar I could pray piety most of the time and then got lazy about turning prayer off as I never ran out.

Another strategy though could be to pray mage constantly and wear melee protect armour however if the boss were to turn to you, tank die, miss etc. You would be humping as his melee hits up to 60 meaning you must pray melee and would then have no mage protection while the boss will target solely you.

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Post by Dima » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:04 pm

I didn't specify in the guide that the ones who choose to wear Karil's don't have to used the magic protection prayer, so I think the confusion came from there. The magic protection only intended for people who came with a full metal armour.
Though, t'was a bit absurd in the end because the magic sergeant's attacks seemed more potent than the ones K'ril Tsutsaroth used.
About strategies, it worked pretty well for the most part. I relied on more people to bring supplies or have healing familiars (level 40 and 34 respectively), however seeing as I was half-done after 20 kills it wouldn't matter as much. It's a bit hard for me to think doing these raids without Summoning, since most of my interest in combat developed on the day the skill was released, and I was hooked on it ever since.
Best tactic I believe would be for everyone to bring a tank setup and kill him by target-swapping, drastically reducing K'ril's use of his special attack, but I wouldn't dare recommend it to people who aren't familiar with the boss or going there for their first time.
Keizari wrote:Feel free to delete this post, if you disagree and think it messes up the guide.
We don't do that. Plus, the guide only takes the first page, so any comment is welcome. :wink:
I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Re: Zamorak GWD Guide (updated)

Post by Lady in Ice » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:20 pm

special bump for Oogle :)