Aegis Auru

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

SmokeBringer
RSN: SmokeBringer

Aegis Auru

Post by SmokeBringer » Tue May 08, 2012 12:50 pm

I have the points to buy this, but it is huge investment of points (84k). I've seen a you tube showing a guy using it to help get a fire cape (I don't have one - have tried 4 or 5 times with no success), and it does seem to reduce damage. I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or (better yet) experience using this Auru?

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Re: Aegis Auru

Post by Dr Brad » Tue May 08, 2012 12:56 pm

84k loyalty points for 10% damage reduction for 30 mins is a bit Meh. (I have the points to buy aegis too, but I'm sitting on the points for now.)
morituri te salutant

big thugn
RSN: Dr Melic

Post by big thugn » Tue May 08, 2012 1:25 pm

I dont have a fire cape yet but have tried half a dozen times and I use the vampireism aura while going full range. I had 81 range for my last attempt using my friends full armadyle and i was able to heal all the damage that prayer didnt negate, I made it to jad but failed at prayer switching. So this may be a cheaper way to help you get it.
PHD(Googleoligy)

magerpainz
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Magerpainz

Post by magerpainz » Tue May 08, 2012 1:44 pm

I wanted one until I looked at it more closely. Agree with Brad now. What are you using for gear when trying Jad?
Image Image Image
Sometimes..standing for what you believe...means standing alone!
"Live your life. Take chances. Be crazy. Don't wait. Right now is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you will ever be again!"
I want a Spartan Woman!

Blackxp
Inactive
RSN: Blackxp

Post by Blackxp » Wed May 09, 2012 3:49 am

If you had a Divine Spirit Shield, Protect Melee, Staff of Light, and Aegis Aura...

70% (DivineSS) * 60% (Protect Melee) * 50% (StaffofLight) * 90% (Aegis) = 18.9% = 81.1% damage reduction.

If you want to look at DPS (Damage per second) you can also apply Miasmic Spells.

70% (DivineSS) * 60% (Protect Melee) * 50% (StaffofLight) * 90% (Aegis) * 50% (Miasmic) = 9.45% Damage output orrr 90.55% DPS reduction

Again this is against melee players in a PVP situation since you cannot completely protect against damage ^
But consider a player with Full Dharoks hitting you for constant 990 damage hits. Instead of hitting 990 on every hit he would instead hit 187 life points of damage. Now consider him being hit with miasmic barrage and hitting at HALF THE SPEED.

^ Oh and that is not including potential soak I could be adding to the equation. The issue is I am not sure when soak is calculated. If it is calculated after damage reduction then it would not help since it will never trigger since the guy that would be hitting 990's is now hitting under 200 :-D

But I will drop the chicken ~:> and consider the actual question at hand. Would it work for jad situations? As you can see in the above equations all damage reduction is multiplicative. If not you would actually heal in the above situations. Its like how in DotA if you use the hero Sven and buy ungodly amounts of splash damage items, then you can get like 200%+ cleave meaning you actually damage creep/heroes more by hitting targets adjacent to them (hilarious I know!). But this is not the case.

If you are attempting a damage reduction (Soak technically) strategy with ganodermic then you will see that although it is 10% damage reduction at full damage. Multiplicative its much less. For instance if you removed the Aegis from the original situation (prior to miasmic) you rise from 18.9% to 21% meaning you are only getting 2.1% damage reduction off of aegis at that point.

Again you must consider whether or not damage reduction is calculated before or after soak. Which could potentially give you the full benefit since aegis would be the only item giving you damage reduction. But as others have said you got better options. Plus Aegis breaks. It lasts 30 minutes but it can break prematurely if it takes enough damage (like Jad's mom last night).

Starwolf
RSN: Starwolf

Post by Starwolf » Wed May 09, 2012 6:18 am

Blackxp wrote:Image

If you had a Divine Spirit Shield, Protect Melee, Staff of Light, and Aegis Aura...

70% (DivineSS) * 60% (Protect Melee) * 50% (StaffofLight) * 90% (Aegis) = 18.9% = 81.1% damage reduction.

If you want to look at DPS (Damage per second) you can also apply Miasmic Spells.

70% (DivineSS) * 60% (Protect Melee) * 50% (StaffofLight) * 90% (Aegis) * 50% (Miasmic) = 9.45% Damage output orrr 90.55% DPS reduction

Again this is against melee players in a PVP situation since you cannot completely protect against damage ^
But consider a player with Full Dharoks hitting you for constant 990 damage hits. Instead of hitting 990 on every hit he would instead hit 187 life points of damage. Now consider him being hit with miasmic barrage and hitting at HALF THE SPEED.

^ Oh and that is not including potential soak I could be adding to the equation. The issue is I am not sure when soak is calculated. If it is calculated after damage reduction then it would not help since it will never trigger since the guy that would be hitting 990's is now hitting under 200 :-D

But I will drop the chicken ~:> and consider the actual question at hand. Would it work for jad situations? As you can see in the above equations all damage reduction is multiplicative. If not you would actually heal in the above situations. Its like how in DotA if you use the hero Sven and buy ungodly amounts of splash damage items, then you can get like 200%+ cleave meaning you actually damage creep/heroes more by hitting targets adjacent to them (hilarious I know!). But this is not the case.

If you are attempting a damage reduction (Soak technically) strategy with ganodermic then you will see that although it is 10% damage reduction at full damage. Multiplicative its much less. For instance if you removed the Aegis from the original situation (prior to miasmic) you rise from 18.9% to 21% meaning you are only getting 2.1% damage reduction off of aegis at that point.

Again you must consider whether or not damage reduction is calculated before or after soak. Which could potentially give you the full benefit since aegis would be the only item giving you damage reduction. But as others have said you got better options. Plus Aegis breaks. It lasts 30 minutes but it can break prematurely if it takes enough damage (like Jad's mom last night).
As you said, damage reduction with ageis is only 2% with that setup.. Not worth it. Spend your points on something more useful, like Oddball.
[img]http://sigs.runeslayer.com/MzSxNrHOtTYy ... arwolf.png[/img][sig]2012-02_Farming_2nd-Starwolf.gif[/sig]

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Wed May 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Extra points given for Bill Nye.

The more I use Auras (I spent all my points the last sale) the more I realize that none of them are very good. Even ones like Greenfingers give only slight % increases.

I'm leaning towards spending points on emotes only :P

Blackxp
Inactive
RSN: Blackxp

Post by Blackxp » Thu May 10, 2012 1:33 am

Oh thats me just responding to the original question. I am not the one contemplating it. I spent all of mine on the demon wings ftw :-D

Not because its a good aura for benefit, nor any of the auras are all that great. I just wanted it for the cosmetic appeal ftw! Although Penance is probably one of the best auras out there but then again it requires a divine spirit shield to give the best synergy. Basically 30% damage reduction without any cost to prayer points more or less.