Vanstrom Blues

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Aridan
RSN: Lady Aridan

Vanstrom Blues

Post by Aridan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:10 am

I've been quiet today, as I wanted to focus on trying to defeat Vanstrom. It's been slow going to say the least. I've tried about eight times now, died twice. I've tried range with dragonhide, melee with Bandos, and a combo of both. The good news is that I go in with less of a feeling of panic, but still haven't even come close to success. Always run out of food or prayer too soon, or he just gives a brutal combo that hard to escape.

Anyway, wanted to share, and welcome any advice my fellow clannies have for success. Many War Tortoises were harmed in the events leading up to this post. :wink:

serame
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Serame

Re: Vanstrom Blues

Post by serame » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:29 am

I'm stuck there too, Aridan...tried twice, better the second time, but still need to get lots better to finish it. He doesn't seem to like to look at me a lot, but he still hits hard.

Aridan

Post by Aridan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:16 am

Sorry to hear you're in the same boat, Serame. I think it will take a combination of luck on which combination of attacks he uses, along with getting a decent ping on a server, as there is always so much delay for me. I'm not liking this boss at all! And I'm really trying to avoid having to kill 500 Vyrewatch to improve the blisterwood weapons...

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Post by Lady in Ice » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:18 am

I remember it took me many-many attempts as well.. I succeeded ranging ( my best range gear- Armadyl), potted up and running around him, shooting every now and then. When he screams about darkness I ran to the torches.

Also be prepared for the last stage. I didn´t read up before the fight, so it was a big surprise for me. I finished him with no food and only 30-40 LP left.. got lucky :D

Keep trying, you will eventually do that.

Gl!!

Q Knuckles Q
RSN: CobraMaster

Post by Q Knuckles Q » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:46 am

When I tried it, I too died a few times. It's only after defeating Nomad did I try again. Since I've used my last Tortoise on Nomad, I challenged him with bringing only 16 sharks. I used purely melee and made sure I can counter all his attacks. I succeeded somehow. :-?
I had absolutely no lag during the fight, and he never used his Darkness attack. His flying attack I ran from one side of the room to the other, slashing him in the middle of the way each time.
His defence drops greatly while in the air!

Dragon20208
Inactive
RSN: Dark TempIar

Post by Dragon20208 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:58 am

This is how you do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYbT86ECNts

But seriously, burn the 500 vyres to power up your weapon if you havent, and when he uses the blood spell dont stop moving, hit and run tactics worked well for me. Make sure to kill the healers and turn your character and screen away when he goes to use the darkness attack.
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Dark_Tempiar][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/blue/pos ... empiar.png[/img][/url] [url=http://rsig.eu/u/Dark_Tempiar][img]http://advlog.rsig.eu/23089/Dark_Tempiar.png[/img][/url]
( •_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:36 pm

lol. I have simply written this off for the time being. I haven't really taken quests seriously since Nomad was introduced. With slow reactions, bad connections these nasty bosses with multiple attacks simply aren't something I can do. Maybe someday I will have a higher cb level, faster connection, less lag and I will feel like trying again. In the meantime, I play to have fun and getting killed doesn't qualify, let alone getting killed repeatedly. Good luck to you and others who are still trying to beat him. I hope you do it.

magerpainz
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Magerpainz

Post by magerpainz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:01 pm

What I did was: Attack with the polearm when he is on the ground. When in flight, use the mini map to run from corner to corner avoiding his attack. Soon as he hits the ground, start attacking again. Of course protection pray all the time.
Image Image Image
Sometimes..standing for what you believe...means standing alone!
"Live your life. Take chances. Be crazy. Don't wait. Right now is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you will ever be again!"
I want a Spartan Woman!

Aridan

Post by Aridan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:02 pm

You guys are awesome. I appreciate hearing all your input, and I shall keep trying.

And Grid, I hear ya! I understand that Jagex was looking to up the challenge of questing, but I really don't think it's fair to players with spotty connections, or slow connections, to not be able to finish something because of it. I have a good connection, but enough lag to be frustrating.

SirDuke17
RSN: MattFearless

Post by SirDuke17 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 am

I couldn't beat him until i burned the 5000 vyre corpses.

It takes much running around and choosing when to attack - as well as some luck.

Burn the corpses - decent XP and rewards, and it really helps.

Good luck!

SirDuke17
RSN: MattFearless

Post by SirDuke17 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:44 am

500 corpses, that is, lol

Q Knuckles Q
RSN: CobraMaster

Post by Q Knuckles Q » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:51 am

I think my blisterwood weapons were on 70 vyre kills when I defeated Vanstrom

G L V
RSN: Jack Lentils

Post by G L V » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:11 am

Keep at it, it was tough for me also. I watched a lot of you tube videos in the end. I just kept running around the room when he started flying.

Popp Sicle
RSN: Popp Sicle

Post by Popp Sicle » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:30 am

I will third the burining of the 500 corpses suggestion - it boosts the power of the weapon a lot. I have a friend who tried like 10 times, got mad and burned the corpses and killed him the very next try. Also, burning the corpses gets you a chance at TT items - I burned a couple hundred and got 2 book pages. :) Good luck!

Aridan

Post by Aridan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. It sounds like I'm going to have to give in and kick some Vyrewatch butt! :P