RSN: FileNotFound

FPS issues continue...

Post by Sir Chris » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:26 pm

New official Post regarding the issue:
Mod Dowd
Jagex Mod
11-Jan-2012 19:26:03 Last edited on 11-Jan-2012 20:32:57 by Mod Dowd
Hi all,
We have received a number of reports from players highlighting a drop in Frames Per Second whilst playing RuneScape. Thank you all for the information that you have been providing in these reports, these have allowed us to implement a few fixes recently that have assisted some players.

We are aware that there are still players that are getting a low FPS count and are under the belief that we have not been paying attention, however I can assure you that this is not true. The information you've been providing us has all been taken into account whilst we've been investigating and looking for further methods of improvement. We regularly pass useful information across to our Engine team in order to find further fixes.

Whilst we continue to review this it is important for you to find the optimal settings that will give you the best FPS, to allow you to play RuneScape with minimum disruption. In order to do this it simply requires you to do a small bit of experimentation with your in-game graphical settings.

In order to view your FPS in-game you can use the developer console:

1. Whilst in-game press the 'tilde' key (normally next the number 1)
2. A blue screen will drop down (the developer console)
3. Type 'displayFPS' without the quotations.
4. Remove the develop console by pushing the tilde key again and your FPS will be displayed in the top right of your screen

In order to find your optimal settings:

As mentioned, this does require some experimentation.

1. Open your in-game options by clicking on the 'Cog' icon.
2. From this menu select the 'PC monitor' icon which will open your graphical options menu.

From this menu there are 3 main options that you should experiment with. Your screen size (Fixed, Resizable and Full screen), your toolkit (OpenGL, DirectX and Software) and your manual setup (Min, Low, Mid, High & Custom).

To change your toolkit simply click on 'Custom' and you can select from the various options.

I personally found that I could achieve the best FPS from using OpenGL, on Mid in a resizable screen. Each of you will find that different settings work best for you and it's worth trying a combination of different settings until you find the one that is best.

Some of the reports we have received are from players who are using top end computers and understandably feel they should be able to play RuneScape with the very highest settings. We certainly agree and we will endeavour to continue to work on this matter until this is the case.

As always I will continue to communicate with the right teams to ensure attention is given to this and when I have further information I will provide it to you all.

I just want to thank you for your patience and we are happily accepting any information that you feel is relevant or useful.

Thanks,

Hi All,
I am sure some of you have been experiencing FPS and Lag issues. I know for me, it borders on unbearable at times. I used to run max graphics with 20+ FPS consistently now have a hard time breaking 10 with minimum graphics. It has clearly affected my play as all I seem to want to do now is the weekly stuff that requires little to no "action" (yawn). Although strangely enough, when in a dung it is better.
I tried all of the "fixes" that were suggested on RS official forums as well as elsewhere. It is no secret (although JaGex clearly is not making much mention of it lately) that since the bot nuke there has been some problems on the JaGex end of things. Frankly, why fixing the problem isn't the ONLY concern over all else is a mystery to me.
So in my desperation I turned to the RSOF (yuck!), I know, desperate measures for desperate times. I posted and looked around and the best, latest response regarding the issue zi found is here:
Mod Reach

Jagex Mod
03-Jan-2012 04:16:27 Profile
To update you all, we're still looking at new ways to resolve this issue.

As of now, we have a few large scale fixes in testing that will potentially go live soon and eradicate this issue. I can't really go into any more detail than that but what I can do is assure you that we haven't given up.

This issue as been dramatically improved compared to how it used to be. There are of course a select few players who have yet to see the benefits of this work but we haven't forgotten or cast you aside.

Stay tuned!

We're on it!
I am refraining from being overly optimistic but remain hopeful.
There are of course a select few players who have yet to see the benefits of this work
I guess I am one of the "select few" :(
Last edited by Sir Chris on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Re: FPS issues continue...

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:36 pm

You're not one of the "select few". Most of my friends still have that issue, and I'm running at much lower FPS than I should be.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Post by Lady in Ice » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Sir Chris wrote: I guess I am one of the "select few" :(
Yeah, same here. It´s good to know I have been selected by Jagex :lol:

Sir Chris
Inactive

Post by Sir Chris » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Dave wrote:You're not one of the "select few". Most of my friends still have that issue, and I'm running at much lower FPS than I should be.
Funny too is that as I looked through the official forums, there were several people posting about the same exact issues. I guess they are looking to down-play it.

lol Kal, do we win a prize? Like a "Select Few" official JaGex T-shirt?

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Ok I admit I'm not really up to date with all the fps problems, I know its causing major lag, but can someone explain how it all works, and does anyone know what 'bearable' fps is, or even how to find it

Sir Chris
Inactive

Post by Sir Chris » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:01 pm

hit the ` button while in game play (top left of your keyboard)
type displayfps
hit the ` button again

It will display much info about the fps, ping, etc. on the top right of your game.

For me, I like 20+ FPS (frames per second) the more the better.
At lower numbers the animation is very choppy

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Shortstuff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks chris. If im at corp beast, i get 9 fps, when i tele to gamers grotto, i get 24 fps, weird

scootch
RSN: Scootchy

Post by scootch » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:48 pm

I could Not Play rs On My other laptop. And TBH I had WOW on their and did not have any problems. My New Laptop Has windows 7 and I do not have any problems. So far. My step son says Its A upload code In their program. That Seems to be a issue.

Not sure But Good Luck yall, Hope they fix it. Para Left because of the lag

Sir Chris
Inactive

Post by Sir Chris » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks Scootch.
What I don't understand is they have to be losing players because of it. Frankly I say screw updates and all that other crap. Fix what's broken. I guess they have their reasons. And above all else, some official Jagex communication would be awesome! I guess they don't want to advertise the fact that something is wrong with their game and can't fix it. Or maybe somehow mentioning the specifics on the problems they are having will somehow tip off botters. Ah whetever.
Time will tell and when they fix it, you will see more of me in game that's for sure and hopefully we can drag good ol' Para back! :)

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Sir Chris wrote:For me, I like 20+ FPS (frames per second) the more the better.
What approaches can one use to increase the FPS?
morituri te salutant

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Sir Chris wrote:hit the ` button while in game play (top left of your keyboard)
type displayfps
hit the ` button again

It will display much info about the fps, ping, etc. on the top right of your game.
How do you turn off the fps display?
morituri te salutant

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Shortstuff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Dr Brad wrote:
Sir Chris wrote:hit the ` button while in game play (top left of your keyboard)
type displayfps
hit the ` button again

How do you turn off the fps display?
Type in the same command and it disappears

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:40 pm

Ty Dan
morituri te salutant

Sir Chris
Inactive

Post by Sir Chris » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:04 pm

Dr Brad wrote:
Sir Chris wrote:For me, I like 20+ FPS (frames per second) the more the better.
What approaches can one use to increase the FPS?
Here is a quote from the official forums. I tried some and no help, convincing me further that the problem lies on the JaGex side of thing rather than on my end.
Lag Solutions

Issue: FPS/Lag Issue
Tipster: Ricket

Expanding available memory for Windows client

Go to C:\Users\[your user]\jagexcache\jagexlauncher\runescape and edit the runescape.prm file; see "*mx128m"? Replace the "128m" with your desired size. For example I just edited it to be 1024m (1gb; "1g" might work, I'm not sure).

That path is for Windows 7; for XP, I'm not sure where it would be, but if you go to the Properties of your RuneScape.exe shortcut, you can find the jagexlauncher path.

Note that when you enable displayfps, the maximum memory might be less than the amount you typed. Java will automatically increase it as necessary, up to the amount you specified.

---

Issue: FPS/Lag Issue for Mac!
Tipster: K SH

1) In spotlight, type "java preferences."

2) Once here, click the general tab and highlight the first java version in the list, (for me is: Java SE 6 - 64-bit.

3) Now click on options.

4)Type in the box: "-Xmx256m" and then click OK
This let's any java applications have more ram. (So this number can be changed. It is not recommended that you put in a number which is over 60% of your maximum ram, as this can cause your computer to run extremely slowly.

---

Issue: Constant DC after game downloads patch to cache/ Stuck loading
Tipster: Dooogy0

1. Go to main page, click the German/French/Brazil flag and hit Play now
OR
1. In client, hit language button at the top left corner, select portugese/French/German & Restart client.
2. Wait for the game to load
3. Attempt playing in non english worlds if possible, it is known to fix some DC issues only present in english worlds
OR
4. Reload the english worlds by following step 1 again
5. Does it work?

---

Issue: FPS being low
Tipster: Sniped 117

Problem:
1 digit/under 2 FPS on Quad/Triple cores

Symptoms:
You experience 1 digit FPS even though your system is way above RS's requirements. Even if you check your CPU usage in Task manager, its normal, not overused but it still lags

Possible solution: This has worked for some, but not all. Specifically certain AMD Phenom CPUs work with the "fix".

===Keep displayfps in developers console on=====
1. Ctrl+alt+del, task manager
2. Go to processes tab in task manager
3. Right click jagexlauncher.exe/java.exe
4. Set affinity...
5. Uncheck all your cores and only leave one checked to allow RS to run on a single processor. Click ok
6. Check ur FPS and see if it gone up.

IF ITS WORSE

7. Go back to set affinity...
8. check all processors to return to the oroginal settings.

Excpected results:
Normal or decent FPS of at least 30FPS average. But the used core may have 90-100% CPU usage.

---

Issue: General Lag
Tipster: Jyreeil

Somebody told me recently about a general fix to lag issues. He said to turn off power saving, because I had been having troubles with lag when I unplugged the laptop. So I turned off eco mode and after that it started running a lot faster.

---

Issue: Constant DC after game downloads patch to cache/ Stuck loading
Tipster: Dooogy0

===ossible solution (worked for some people)====

1. Go to main page, click the German/French/Brazil flag and hit Play now
OR
1. In client, hit language button at the top left corner, select portugese/French/German & Restart client.
2. Wait for the game to load
3. Attempt playing in non english worlds if possible, it is known to fix some DC issues only present in english worlds
OR
4. Reload the english worlds by following step 1 again
5. Does it work?

---

Issue: Lag Issues
Tipster: Xillis

Lag Solutions:

I've recently been YouTube'ing for solutions for my own lag. I came across one interesting video which was simple and easy for Windows7 users.

Instructions:
>If you have the RuneScape client downloaded, place it on your desktop and right click it then go to Properties.
>Go to the 'Compatibility' tab and click on 'Disable Visual Themes' and 'Disable Desktop Composition'
>Next go to your start menu and right click on your 'Computer' tab on the right of the start menu. Go to properties and then 'Advanced System Settings'.
>This should take you to a window called 'System Properties'
>Click on 'Settings...' under the Performance section
> Click on the option that says 'Adjust for best performance' (NOTHING ELSE!)
*This will disable all effects and unnecessary things and make your task bar, menus etc look like Windows XP. This is good if all you want to do is play RuneScape but remember you can reverse the options if you want to by clicking the 'Let Windows choose what's best for my computer' option.
*You may not be able to read small texts on websites very well

- My FPS peaked at 19 so far. The lowest has been 5. (Remember, people are still stuck in the 1 digit FPS rates so this is probably good that you can at least get over 10)
- You can check your FPS by pressing the the to the left of 1 and under Esc in RuneScape and typing 'displayfps'. (You can then close the command menu by pressing the same key again (next to 1).

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks, Chris.
morituri te salutant