FPS issues continue...

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

DoctorDRAG0N
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: DoctorDRAGON

Re: FPS issues continue...

Post by DoctorDRAG0N » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:58 pm

The FPS has been an issue since the "bot-nuke" update. I'm pretty sure they are keeping us in the dark so as not to tip-off botters on what adjustments they are making to the program (that may allow botters to side-step thier work) I was stuck in the lobby for over 48 hours on the intitial update so atleast I can play now....although painfully slow.

I remain hopeful that one day we will have a bot/lag free playing environment. Silence is Golden, but Duck Tape is silver. :)

Sir Chris
Inactive
RSN: FileNotFound

Post by Sir Chris » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:12 pm

I too continue to remain ever hopeful :/

All these beautiful graphics, and I can only play fluidly in "min".

Legorune2
RSN: Legorune2x

Post by Legorune2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm having some issues, which is strange because my computer is quite fast, so I see what you mean.

Ziff
RSN: Zifflequint

Post by Ziff » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:20 pm

I think they have no idea how many ppl still have problems. It's gotten much better for me, But.... I'm still very cautious going into any kind of fighting situation, sucks to die because of lag. I have the best stone, but unless someone blesses it, it's only 10 min. Sometimes it takes that long to get back in. :P

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:45 pm

More information about the RS Developer Console is found here:

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Developer_Console
morituri te salutant

DoctorDRAG0N
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: DoctorDRAGON

Post by DoctorDRAG0N » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Ziff wrote:I have the best stone, but unless someone blesses it, it's only 10 min.
I have the next 2 best stone (Angel of death) and it lasts 12 minutes, the best lasts 15. :D

TrixStar
RSN: trixstar

Post by TrixStar » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:11 am

I never see higher than 10 fps :lol:

Sir Chris
Inactive

Post by Sir Chris » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 pm

New official post on the issue
Mod Dowd
Jagex Mod
11-Jan-2012 19:26:03 Last edited on 11-Jan-2012 20:32:57 by Mod Dowd
Hi all,
We have received a number of reports from players highlighting a drop in Frames Per Second whilst playing RuneScape. Thank you all for the information that you have been providing in these reports, these have allowed us to implement a few fixes recently that have assisted some players.

We are aware that there are still players that are getting a low FPS count and are under the belief that we have not been paying attention, however I can assure you that this is not true. The information you've been providing us has all been taken into account whilst we've been investigating and looking for further methods of improvement. We regularly pass useful information across to our Engine team in order to find further fixes.

Whilst we continue to review this it is important for you to find the optimal settings that will give you the best FPS, to allow you to play RuneScape with minimum disruption. In order to do this it simply requires you to do a small bit of experimentation with your in-game graphical settings.

In order to view your FPS in-game you can use the developer console:

1. Whilst in-game press the 'tilde' key (normally next the number 1)
2. A blue screen will drop down (the developer console)
3. Type 'displayFPS' without the quotations.
4. Remove the develop console by pushing the tilde key again and your FPS will be displayed in the top right of your screen

In order to find your optimal settings:

As mentioned, this does require some experimentation.

1. Open your in-game options by clicking on the 'Cog' icon.
2. From this menu select the 'PC monitor' icon which will open your graphical options menu.

From this menu there are 3 main options that you should experiment with. Your screen size (Fixed, Resizable and Full screen), your toolkit (OpenGL, DirectX and Software) and your manual setup (Min, Low, Mid, High & Custom).

To change your toolkit simply click on 'Custom' and you can select from the various options.

I personally found that I could achieve the best FPS from using OpenGL, on Mid in a resizable screen. Each of you will find that different settings work best for you and it's worth trying a combination of different settings until you find the one that is best.

Some of the reports we have received are from players who are using top end computers and understandably feel they should be able to play RuneScape with the very highest settings. We certainly agree and we will endeavour to continue to work on this matter until this is the case.

As always I will continue to communicate with the right teams to ensure attention is given to this and when I have further information I will provide it to you all.

I just want to thank you for your patience and we are happily accepting any information that you feel is relevant or useful.

Thanks,

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:29 pm

They've had that, or an identical post, up for quite some time now. I remember seeing one shortly after the FPS issue started for most players. And I think its just ridiculous...

"Here's how to improve your FPS...nobody knows this...wait for it...lower your graphics settings."

If I ran RS with the exact same graphics settings pre-bot update and was getting 10-20 more FPS, the issue is NOT my graphics settings. Its your freaking game. Fix it.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Sir Chris
Inactive

Post by Sir Chris » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:34 pm

I agree Dave, frankly, it sucks. :evil:
At least when there were bots, I could play the game the way I wanted. I am getting more and more fed up and to be honest, if a fix isn't presented soon, I see myself going the way of Para.
Seems like week after week the updates make it worse as well even on min graphics, I barely see a consistent 8-10 fps. ~X(