Explain Your Runescape Name's Signifigance! here

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Re: Explain Your Runescape Name's Signifigance! here

Post by Dima » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:21 pm

When I initially got on the internet - through WAP, with an ancient Samsung phone - I came to some login page, which wanted a "Nickname" thingie. So, 13-14 at the time, I figured, since my name starts with a D (Dima), I'll call myself "D The King"! Every youngster would put a nick like that, right? (Hint: No.)
A bit later (15?) I changed it to "D Da King", because it sounded cool, dog...
Later as I got a full fledged connection, with a PC on top, forums had issues with spaces, so I changed it to DaKing.
That stayed like that for a while, till I woke up one day (19), looked at it and thought: That's pretty gay (and childish, too). So I went and changed it to DK.
Eventually some websites/forums had problems with it begin too short now, and I had problems giving an email address that were still called "daking@dot.com" to colleagues (emphasis on that childish part), so I figured, D sounds Dee, and K sounds Kay, so, y'know...

I like this one, anyhow, although lately I seem to be running into more and more people thinking it stands for Donkey Kong (wtf?).
I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:31 pm

DeeKay, I remember when your RSN was, for a short period of time, KoAxDeeKay. :)
morituri te salutant

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:06 pm

I enjoy reading fantasy, one series I read some of in my teens was Runelords by David Farland. When I finally decided to be more active on forums/games/etc online (a few years and many books/series later) I wanted a unique alias to hide behind (though now I've given some personal information :o ) and for some reason his name popped up. I didn't want a main character's name as I prefer more subtle connections to my hobbies, but unfortunately I couldn't recall some of the more unique and slightly insignificant characters' names.

So I did a google search. The first result was "The World of Farland" and I went there, realizing afterwards that it wasn't HIS world, but rather something or other to do with D&D. So I read up on it a little bit and wandered over to The page on GODS. Browsing through that page I came across "Neltak (Lord of Law)" which happened to be how I wanted to act in my online adventures.

Ever since I've been using Neltak as nicknames to various forums, sites and games.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Myztra Roxxs
RSN: Myztra

Post by Myztra Roxxs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:39 am

Somewhat similar to the above post by Dave (who btw seems to have awesome taste in music, if the avatar is significant).

Mystra (Mother of all Magic) is one of the deities of AD&D Forgotten Realms series (pen & paper RPG) that I played extensively in the late 80's to early 90's. I used it when playing Diablo and Diablo II in the late 90's-early 00's. When I signed up for RS It was of course already taken, so I tried Myztra which was also taken. Then I added some stuff at the end randomly until it got accepted.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra
* 2nd accts: Myztra Mini, Myztra HCore
Image Image
Image ImageImage

Huzzah
RSN: Huzzah

Post by Huzzah » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:34 pm

'Huzzah' was pretty random for me. I used it on mIRC way back in like 99-2000 then when runescape came along I created this account. I don't ever plan to change it.
[b]Classic:[/b] Combat 084 - 1134 Total Level.
[b]Pre-Eoc[/b] Combat 121 - 2288 Total Level.

Retired fall of 2012. Goodluck Koa! :)

lisa
Inactive
RSN: fataltradegy

Post by lisa » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:12 pm

My current name FatalTradegy is the title of a song from one of my favorite bands. Well, if I spelled Tragedy correctly it would be.

quinoa mama
RSN: Quinoa Mama

Post by quinoa mama » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Great thread topic! I'm enjoying all the stories about your name origins.

I originally joined Runescape because my 9 year old son wanted to play. I didn't know much about RPG's, so I joined F2P to check it out and see if it was a safe place for him to join. He entered his correct birthday, so it was pretty safe on quick chat only! I played along with him for a bit, found myself addicted to quests, and here I, still chasing that elusive quest cape. I'm so close, but Nomad continues to kill me! So when I picked a name I didn't really think I was going to be playing the game for myself, and certainly not more than a couple hours. I had a jar of a South American grain called quinoa (kee-wah) sitting on my table. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa I was playing as someone's mom; I needed a unique name, and Quinoa Mama rolled nicely off my tongue. Since then everyone knows me as Quinoa Mama, so I don't see myself changing anytime soon. The mostcommon nicknames people use on me are Mama, Q, and Quin.

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:35 am

Myztra Roxxs wrote:Somewhat similar to the above post by Dave (who btw seems to have awesome taste in music, if the avatar is significant).
It is significant. :-D
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Darth Kaz2
Inactive
RSN: Darth Kaz2

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:02 pm

I love this thread! It is so interesting getting a glimpse into everyone's minds through a simple thing like naming a game character. :)

rodent
Inactive
RSN: talki toastr
RSN2: missy winter

Post by rodent » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:02 am

i tried a few names when creating a username, but the first one that I could use was of course, talki toastr. It comes from (as some of you know), the comedy show red dwarf. Was thinking of using one of the main characters names, but thought, why not use a lesser character's name. still get a few people recognise the name across the game occasionally, and a few laughs. have changed name once, but don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Arengeir
RSN: Arengeir

Post by Arengeir » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 pm

It's a misspelling of "Arngeir", a random Norwegian name. I don't really remember my reasoning for spelling it "Arengeir", but I suspect it was just a careless mistake (either that or I misspelled it because Arngeir was taken; curse my bad memory!).

One upside is that no one else uses that name. I'm pretty much the only "Arengeir". I've thought about changing it (Arngeir was just recently made available), but I think I'll stick with it for now.

lil zipperz
Inactive
RSN: zZIPPERZz

Post by lil zipperz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Bump for new members
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Zzipperzz][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/purple/p ... pperzz.png[/img][/url][img]http://koaclan.info/sigs/2011-07_Fishing_2nd.jpg[/img]

[color=#BF0040]Most of my posts are unsuitable for any sort of work, or home viewing.[/color]
[color=#40BF80][b]There is no Real Life, only AFK[/b][/color]

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:03 pm

I started playing RS shortly after a momentous decision to quit programming and being a systems analyst and fighting traffic in major cities (my job took me to major cities all over us and Canada). No more gridlock. Therefore Gridenough--but in my mind I pronounce it grid-uh-no, like a sort of Scottish or Irish thing as one Grandmother is from Scotland (clan McCrae) and someone else in the family tree was from Ireland and the game has a sort of old world feel to it. As I adjusted to 40 hour work weeks it was fun to come home and game for a couple of hours.

Shannanigan
RSN: Shannanigan

Post by Shannanigan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:25 am

My brother in law got my husband hooked, and the husband whined at me that he needed a partner to do some quests, not thinking much of it I made a f2p account using my RPG name Vithanna. Well time passed, I was hooked, but "Vithanna" did not fit in RS ( her story line is extensive) in RS I was just me, skilling and killing.

I did not wanna be Shannon with a million numbers after it, my mother made a few suggestions not all of them nice, so I chose Shannanigan because it could mean lots of things... my name (Shannon) with a difference, goofing off, playing jokes etc. And yes I am just a spilt of Irish as well.

No real mystery there. Lol Sorry! :))
[color=#8000BF][size=150]<3 Shannie <3[/size][/color]

[img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/purple/p ... anigan.png[/img]

Twirlindana
Site Admin
Site Admin
RSN: Twirlindana

Post by Twirlindana » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 am

Years ago a friend of mine invented, as a joke, a fictional world (a kingdom actually), where everyone and everything is quite absurd.

Among the royal family heirlooms there is a mythical sword called Twirlindana.

The name Twirlindana itself is a joke about the sword Durlindana (or Durandal in French), possessed by Roland who was a military leader under Charlemagne and one of the main characters in the literary cycle known as the Matter of France.

Hmm, it doesn't sound funny... :-?
"I'm no hero. I put my bra on one boob at a time just like everyone else" - Tina Belcher
ImageImageImageImage