Shooting star

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

damnimmart
Inactive

Shooting star

Post by damnimmart » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:23 pm

Me and Moggy went out to try this new update. I used my POH-telescope to get the rough location (karamja-crandor in this case) and then we went looking for the crashed meteor. We were the first ones to find it. The first one who starts mining also gets a mining experience reward of about 6,5k i believe.
you need to mine the whole meteor away which consists of several layers. the outer layer is the hardest and you'll be needing 70 mining for it (at least in our case, but i guess that will be standard). after each layer the mining requirements are lowered.
the meteor gives decent mining experience and depending on the amount of "star dust" you mine (max.=200) you'll get a reward from the little sprite that's trapped in the meteor. the sprite is freed when you mined the whole meteor away.
my reward for 168 stardust:
- 44 astral runes
- 128 cosmic runes
-16 gold ore

you can only mine a meteor once a day.

mysticmoggy
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: mysticmoggy

Re: Shooting star

Post by mysticmoggy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:59 am

the reward i got was (200 stardust):
152 cosmic runes
52 astral runes
50002 gp
20 gold ore
15 minutes of being able to mine two ores at the same time

Dependant on how many levels the crater has you have to be either 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 or 90 to start, the higher the level of shooting star the higher amount of mining xp you get.
The first person to mine a level 70 crater was me and i recieve 6525 mining xp - most likely more for a level 80 or 90 crater but not found one of those yet.

All in all for one level 70 shooting star i got around 10-12k xp i think

You stop collecting stardust when you recieve 200 stardust but you can still pick away at the star to gain xp.

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Post by Hid » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:29 pm

I seen quite some pictures of shooting star drops, and they were all directly next to a mining spot. I guess that could be standard, although I can't see on your pics if it is next to a mining spot too.

Would make it easier to find them, cause you only have to check all mining spots on that part of the world.
KoA achievements

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:32 pm

Those were cool pics of the meteor. They were the first that I've seen. Thanks for that. :)

I wonder if the meteor just shows up, or if there's some kind of animation of it crashing to the ground? Know RS, I'm sure it just pops into existance in relies on our imaginations to picture it flying through the air and crashing to the ground.

Sir Chris
Inactive
RSN: FileNotFound

Post by Sir Chris » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

You know, I am kind of sick of these kind of updates. I have a friggin laundry list of crap to do every time I log in. IMO it is becoming too much.

Check Kingdom and keep favor up - sell stuff if I decide to collect the resources
Gear up and Slay Bork
Gear up and Kill Jade Vine
Do any farming that I may have going on
Weekly trip to Tears of Guthix

Now add:
Look for shooting star
Find penguins
Join the Circus

Honestly it is becoming like "work".

Yeah, I know "so don't do them" well I have stopped most and only do the kingdom at this point.

Sorry rant over - haven't had enough coffee yet

Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:11 pm

I feel your pain Chris.

One of the things that I like about RS compared to standard video games is that there's an endless list of things to do. With normal video games, once you beat the video game (get through all the levels, kill all the bad guys, find all the loot), it's over. I like the feeling that no matter how much I play RS, there's always more to do (more than I've already done). It gives me something to look forward to. :)

Sir Chris
Inactive
RSN: FileNotFound

Post by Sir Chris » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:19 pm

Hey EW :) ,
That is certainly one of the things I love about RS as well. I think my problem comes from the guilt I feel if I don't do them. My playing time can be very sporadic and there are times when I can only play for 1/2 hour or so and would rather do something that feels more like fun. I feel like "I really should be [fill in task]". I haven't done Tears in a couple of months and feel guilty for not having done so. Missed exp. :(

damnimmart
Inactive

Post by damnimmart » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:23 pm

hid675 wrote:I seen quite some pictures of shooting star drops, and they were all directly next to a mining spot. I guess that could be standard, although I can't see on your pics if it is next to a mining spot too.

Would make it easier to find them, cause you only have to check all mining spots on that part of the world.
this one was next to a mining spot as well

mysticmoggy
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by mysticmoggy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:44 am

damnimmart wrote:
hid675 wrote:I seen quite some pictures of shooting star drops, and they were all directly next to a mining spot. I guess that could be standard, although I can't see on your pics if it is next to a mining spot too.

this one was next to a mining spot as well
Near the Brimhaven dungeon entrance

slashdojo
Inactive
RSN: slashdojo

Post by slashdojo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info --good xp and rewards

mysticmoggy
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by mysticmoggy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:29 pm

same reward each time you get the same amount of dust

And every star lands in or near a mine

Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Chris wrote:Hey EW :) ,
That is certainly one of the things I love about RS as well. I think my problem comes from the guilt I feel if I don't do them. My playing time can be very sporadic and there are times when I can only play for 1/2 hour or so and would rather do something that feels more like fun. I feel like "I really should be [fill in task]". I haven't done Tears in a couple of months and feel guilty for not having done so. Missed exp. :(
Oh wow! Yeah, I can understand, in that case. My approach to my RS "career" is quite a bit different. When I play, I play in large chunks of time to maximize the quality of my game time. I'm a self-described "focused player". I have a tendency to make a single goal and go for that goal and nothing else until I achieve it. Yes, I have fun along the way (or I wouldn't do it), but I really get the satisfaction from acheiving my goal. :)

kodirodio
Inactive
RSN: Kodirodio

Post by kodirodio » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:46 pm

I think I'm more like Chris. I have so many things I feel I "should do". Since my time in game is more limited now that school is back in, I've been trying to do the things I want and just letting the others go. (But the other stuff is still lurking around in my thoughts!) I just happened to spot a penguin while replanting trees in Karamja and ran into the circus, so I did a round of events, but I'm not going out of my way for these new ones. Kingdom, tears, farming, buying butter, apples & chocolate in lumby basement, slayer leveling..... already too many things!

I do have to agree with ewsentinal that I love having so many options though.

charger_lee
Inactive
RSN: charger_lee

Post by charger_lee » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:43 pm

I have not tried an of the new "distractions" for one main reason.....I am going for 99 fishing! I don't really wanna stray from that since once my mind is on something, i don't like it to wander around or i won't get anything done. I do like the information though just in case i am around a mining area i can mine it (once i get to 70 mining that is)

mysticmoggy
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by mysticmoggy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:49 pm

charger_lee wrote:I have not tried an of the new "distractions" for one main reason.....I am going for 99 fishing! I don't really wanna stray from that since once my mind is on something, i don't like it to wander around or i won't get anything done. I do like the information though just in case i am around a mining area i can mine it (once i get to 70 mining that is)
It i diferent levels for diffeerent layers - dont have to be level 70, its multiples of 10 up to 90