A sobering reminder about on-line predators

Post by Dr Brad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:08 pm

Stay vigilant. Let's keep RS safe!
February 8, 2011

http://detnews.com/article/20110208/METRO01/102080398

Man accused of having sex with Detroit girl he wed in video game

SANTIAGO ESPARZA
The Detroit News

Detroit — A Massachusetts man remains jailed today on charges he allegedly came to the city three times last year to have sex with a 13-year-old Detroit girl he wed in an online video game.

John W. Phillips, 54, of Fitchburg, Mass., is charged with 11 felonies including sexual assault, using a computer to communicate with another person to commit a crime, accosting a child for immoral purposes and child sexually abusive activity. The maximum sentences for the charges range from four to 20 years in prison.

Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon said Phillips met the girl while playing RuneScape online and that they chatted online through the game in 2010. He said Phillips unsuccessfully attempted mailing the girl a cellular telephone.

So Phillips brought her the phone in person in February 2010 and had sex with the girl at an Eastpointe motel, Napoleon said. Phillips also is accused of having sex with the girl in his van and at her home.

Napoleon said Phillips and the girl wed in the role-playing game, which allows players to assume identities and interact with other players, some of whom live in other countries.

"They got married in the game," sheriff's corporal Ray Johnson said. "Maybe he thought that was legitimate in real life. It's not."

An investigation was launched into the man after the girl's mother discovered her exchanging texts with someone using a cellular phone, Napoleon said. The girl wasn't supposed to have a phone.

Phillips eluded capture while visiting with his father in upstate New York, Napoleon said. He also dyed his hair, grew out his beard or cut it to alter his appearance and keep police off guard, Napoleon said.

"He didn't want to come back to Michigan and face charges," Napoleon said.

Phillips was arrested in New York and fought extradition to Michigan. It took several law enforcement agencies working together to make the case he needed to face charges here, officials said.

He was arraigned Jan. 13 and faces a pretrial hearing on Thursday in 36th District Court.

The Wayne County Sheriff Office's Internet Crimes Unit sought out Phillips but it took help from the Michigan State Police, Wayne County prosecutors, U.S. Secret Service agents, federal prosecutors and police in Massachusetts and New York to nab Phillips, officials said.

Phillips doesn't have a criminal record, and it appears his only source of income comes from selling "Magic: The Gathering" game cards.

Johnson said the girl's mother worked two or three jobs and wasn't home for extended periods of time.

Michigan State Police Lt. Tom Kish said predators are starting to move from chat rooms to video games that allow players to interact over the Internet and through text messaging.

"It is easy for children to be contacted in nontraditional ways," Kish said. "Internet use has to be monitored."

The alleged victim is undergoing counseling, Napoleon said.

"This has been traumatic for her," he said.
morituri te salutant

Huzzah
RSN: Huzzah

Re: A sobering reminder about on-line predators

Post by Huzzah » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:53 pm

I read this from tip.it. As morally wrong as it was for the man to do it, the girl seemed to play along just fine (from what I read) oddly enough.

"They got married in the game," sheriff's corporal Ray Johnson said. "Maybe he thought that was legitimate in real life. It's not." I like how he points that out.
[b]Classic:[/b] Combat 084 - 1134 Total Level.
[b]Pre-Eoc[/b] Combat 121 - 2288 Total Level.

Retired fall of 2012. Goodluck Koa! :)

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Not too odd when you consider the child a victim and vulnerable to an adult. In no way should the child be faulted. Adults are supposed to protect children...not take advantage of them. Legally, this is rape.
morituri te salutant

blarny3
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: blarny3

Post by blarny3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:11 pm

I do not care if the child say 'come on big boy get me' he was the adult and as such should know way be contacting this girl.. it is terrible that some adults feel able to exploit vulnerable children in this way. Hope he gets the max tbh.
ImageImage

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Children don't always make the best decisions because they don't have enough life experience, and therefore her willing participation shouldn't be considered. Hell, my son is 19 and a he still makes dumb decisions. Lol ;)

Huzzah
RSN: Huzzah

Post by Huzzah » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Interesting. Do any of you feel it is in some part the parents fault and the fact she works doesn't mean she shouldn't have noticed? I mean as a parent they should educate their child on such matters I would think. Btw I am in no way saying hes in the right (or acts like this should be allowed to go on) just I feel that more could have been done. Either way, I'm sure he'll be going away for awhile. :)
Last edited by Huzzah on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Classic:[/b] Combat 084 - 1134 Total Level.
[b]Pre-Eoc[/b] Combat 121 - 2288 Total Level.

Retired fall of 2012. Goodluck Koa! :)

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm leaning toward the father's fault. By the sound of it he's MIA if the mom has to work 3 jobs to make ends meet. Divorce doesn't mean that you stop being a parent and a big part of your child's life.

Darth Kaz2
Inactive
RSN: Darth Kaz2

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 pm

4-20 years? He deserves more! Way more! This is no 19yr old boyfriend sleeping with a 16yr old girlfriend. He is an adult sexual predator, and should be severely punished!

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:14 pm

DO NOT try and talk about this on the Official Runescape Forums. I got a very nasty pm from a mod about it when I did!

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Post by PhelimReagh » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 pm

It's usually the place for single, never-been-a-parent-but-I'm-a-fun-aunt/uncle-for-a-few-hours-every-few-days types to come in and place part of the blame on parents. Predators know how to find victims. They know what to look for, what a child is missing in their life and how to fulfill it for their own filthy ends.

For anyone to sit around and find fault with a parent, a single mom working three jobs to make a decent life for that child, is pretty disgusting. The mom is likely already crushed and feels heaps of guilt on her own. Clueless twenty-somethings trying to deflect blame from the predator is simply vile.

Parenting isn't a science, and every child is their own unique case. No one can parent any child perfectly, and so long as there are predators out there, they are going to be able to find out the weaknesses for their own perversion.

All the blame lies at the hands of the offender.
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

Aridan
RSN: Lady Aridan

Post by Aridan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:22 am

The discussion on tip it about this topic was a stomach turner for me. Too many comments placing blame on the girl, saying she should have known better. No matter what, the offender's behavior was to blame, simply by a matter of law. I remember feeling a bit smothered as a kid by an overprotective mother. Now, when I look back, I think I'd be even more protective. It's a scary world out there sometimes.

Garnoidish
RSN: The Beef

Post by Garnoidish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:18 am

What a scumbag.

'Phillips doesn't have a criminal record, and it appears his only source of income comes from selling "Magic: The Gathering" game cards'

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Post by PhelimReagh » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:32 am

Garnoidish wrote:What a scumbag.

'Phillips doesn't have a criminal record, and it appears his only source of income comes from selling "Magic: The Gathering" game cards'
I'm picturing a lower-rent version of "Comic Book Guy" from the Simpsons. Poor wee girl.
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

JazzyWoodle
Inactive
RSN: Jazzywoodle

Post by JazzyWoodle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:57 am

Dr Brad wrote:Not too odd when you consider the child a victim and vulnerable to an adult. In no way should the child be faulted. Adults are supposed to protect children...not take advantage of them. Legally, this is rape.
This

Was very disturbed to read this story - co worker linked me to a different version but its all the same.
Then again.... her parents should of been abit more involved in her life really - you dont just let a 13 yr old go meet up with that sorta guy...

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:02 am

Jagex have not commented on this at all and I don't think they will!