Do we need another new skill, currently?

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Huzzah
RSN: Huzzah

Do we need another new skill, currently?

Post by Huzzah » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Hey all. With Dung now in the game it can only be a matter of time until Jagex puts out the next one. Its great and all, I mean skills are the best part of the game for me but it also causes me to think that they could use the time for something else right now. Looking through the skill list theres a large number of skills that are either totally outdated, have very limited uses or no high level content. I think they could do a great job by breathing new life into these skills. The other side though is, as many of you do, people have higher skill total then me and in somecases (trix, hid) are maxed/close to. How do you all feel about this? Would you want Jagex to revamp old skills?
[b]Classic:[/b] Combat 084 - 1134 Total Level.
[b]Pre-Eoc[/b] Combat 121 - 2288 Total Level.

Retired fall of 2012. Goodluck Koa! :)

rilo carlile
Inactive
RSN: Rilo Carlile

Re: Do we need another new skill, currently?

Post by rilo carlile » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:15 pm

I think it's safe to say that, prior to Dungeoneering's release, most of us were expecting, and looking forward to, a new skill similar to the ones we had before. Dungeoneering may have been a pleasant surprise for some, but for others it was not even close, a big let-down. Hence a new skill would still be quite welcome.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a new skill, and breathing new life into old ones is always just fine by me, even if I'm maxed in it. It would give the game some more depth, always a plus.
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Rilo_Carlile][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/red/pose ... arlile.png[/img][/url]

[img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4695/rilosig.jpg[/img]

[size=85][i]"Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness."[/i][/size]

KevinsLunchbox
Inactive
RSN: Kevins a God

Post by KevinsLunchbox » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:49 pm

I can't really imagine another skill they could make, but then again maybe my imagination machine is turned off. Unless there is a way to make vehicles using gnomes and magic I can't see anything big coming out skillwise for awhile.

Pa7uL
Inactive
RSN: Lord Pa7ul

Post by Pa7uL » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:56 pm

i really hope they work on the stuff they got now. i'm not one of those people to grinned for no other reason than lvls so at the moment i feel kinda like i'm almost out of content to play which is why i haven't hardly played since the end of may. i'll get back into it sooner or later, i always do, but it would be nice if they had some good long lasting content for people with most of their skills in the 70's pr better. i know its even worse for higher lvls too.

onezerobin
Inactive
RSN: ulidr

Post by onezerobin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:04 pm

It will be nice to have a new skill that i) is not repetitive like rune crafting or agility, ii) is not in dark settings like the mining guilds and dungeoneering, and iii) is atleast half profitable as slayer, but without the combat.

It would be fun to have Treasure trails as a skill.

Esme94
Inactive
RSN: Esme Foster

Post by Esme94 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Avidr wrote: It would be fun to have Treasure trails as a skill.
I second, third, fourth and fifth that!! (Using both of my arms and both of my legs, in case you were wondering.... :D )
However, if that did happen, can you imagine the cries of 'That's not a skill!!'? As far as I'm concerned, it doesnt matter whether you call something a skill, a minigame or a lemon sponge cake, if it works, it works! Dungeoneering works and so would having treasure trails as a skill.

As for a new, typically repetitive, mouse-clicking skill, I think Jagex has gone as far as it can. So I think it would be a much better idea to improve what they have already. :)

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Post by Hid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:51 pm

I am still hoping they will take that crap "skill" dungeoneering out again, and make it a minigame for people who like stuff like that. I know it won't happen though. I am not looking forward to a new skill, cause Jagex will just mess it up again.

Possible new skills:
Trouble Brewing skill
Castle Wars skill
Mobilizing armies skill

You get the point .... calling something a skill doesn't really make it a skill!
KoA achievements

Esme94
Inactive
RSN: Esme Foster

Post by Esme94 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Yeah, my point is does it really matter what it is called?

In any case, I can understand why Jagex chose to call Dungeoneering a skill. To my knowledge, there is no mini game which trains, as you play it, so many skills in the way which Dungeoneering does. Normally, a mini game focuses on one or 2 particular skills whereas Dungeoneering focuses on lots of skills.

Whatever label anyone chooses to put on Dungeoneering, there is no doubt that it actually has been hugely successful. A large number of people enjoy it immensely - some are even addicted to it. Rather than being the beginning of the end of Runescape which some people regard it as, I personally think it is inspired.

And let's not forget, while we debate whether Dungeoneering is a mini game or a skill, Runescape itself is just a game, not a skill.

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Post by PhelimReagh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:52 am

You have to think that Jagex had a few "skills" to choose from before going ahead with Dungeoneering, and they felt that was the best option.

Although it no longer matters much to me, I hardly think there's any reason to look forward to what Jagex has in their pipeline if they felt that Dungeoneering was the way they wanted Runescape to go. That's why I'm no longer subscribed.

Jagex is putting their money (i.e., Runescape player subscription fees) into something else. It is clearly not going into the development of Runescape.
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

mysticmoggy
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: mysticmoggy

Post by mysticmoggy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:15 am

I would say that in my opinion we do need another skill because to me, dung was a total let down as a 'skill'

Bass
RSN: Bassjason1

Post by Bass » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:02 pm

I'd rather see them go and update all the current skills through level 85, and then maybe put in a new skill.

Since it's so clear to me that they totally effed up level 80 armour by making it degradable (with a ridiculous recharge cost), I'd really like to move on to 85 armour now. Also, they better fix this stupid token system by the time batch 2 comes out. I still find it redundant to have a Dunge level requirement for something like the Bonecrusher if it's impossible to obtain it at that level. And why can't we burn marrentil in the bonecrusher for better Prayer xp!?

There is just so much work that already needs to be done that I think a new skill can wait a while.

BlackJoker
RSN: Black Jokr

Post by BlackJoker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Agree with bass here. First batch 2, then worry about a new skill :)
[color=#004000][b]KoA's Pretty Boy is back![/b][/color]
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248 ... lqcopy.png[/img]

onezerobin
Inactive
RSN: ulidr

Post by onezerobin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 pm

BlackJoker wrote: First batch 2, then worry about a new skill :)
For batch 2, they should just delete dungeoneering; wipe it away from runescape.

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Post by PhelimReagh » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 pm

Bass wrote:I'd rather see them go and update all the current skills through level 85, and then maybe put in a new skill.

Since it's so clear to me that they totally effed up level 80 armour by making it degradable (with a ridiculous recharge cost), I'd really like to move on to 85 armour now. Also, they better fix this stupid token system by the time batch 2 comes out. I still find it redundant to have a Dunge level requirement for something like the Bonecrusher if it's impossible to obtain it at that level. And why can't we burn marrentil in the bonecrusher for better Prayer xp!?

There is just so much work that already needs to be done that I think a new skill can wait a while.
This was one of my big gripes about Dungeoneering. They introduced all new items, ore types, herbs, etc. that could have gone into re-invigorating the current world skills, arms, armor, etc. It would have reinvigorated me, that's for sure.

Instead, Jagex restricted all those items to an awful mini-game, instanced to further remove the dwindling social options left in the game, and had the nerve to call it a skill.

The whole thing just showed me that the folks who are in charge of Runescape haven't the faintest clue as to what Runescape players want, and instead their strategy for Runescape is being driven by something completely removed from player concerns. Lord only knows what it is, but I've already developed my Item Mall suspicions elsewhere.
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

1man__Rmy
RSN: Tuvok

Post by 1man__Rmy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:32 am

personally i've barely been on runescape for the past few weeks, just absolutly bored the game just isn't getting any more fun..and the updates really are boring the hell out of me. I mean court cases? I'm sorry but...only a minority of runescape will find that fun, and the rewards are pitiful for anyone over 90 attack / defence....I completely agree that we need something new to do that fits in with runescape, not shoved to one side like dungeoneering is.

dungeoneering just feels like a differant game, even though it isn't.
Image - Pre Eoc