swiftkit question

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

diegos rage
Inactive
RSN: diegos rage

swiftkit question

Post by diegos rage » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Is it safe to use swiftkit for playing rs? Streak told me that was all he used on his comp when his acc got taken. I was j/w if anyone knows anything about it.

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Re: swiftkit question

Post by Ewsentinel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:49 pm

I used swiftkit once a very long time ago (pre-HD mode), but I didn't like it so I removed it and haven't used it since. I would assume that if you downloaded it from the maker's official site, and not a secondary site (where it could have key loggers added to the install), then it "should" be fairly safe to use.

RhondaLGilly
RSN: TheTrueGilly

Post by RhondaLGilly » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:41 am

yes get the download from the swift kit makers. not some other site. http://www.swiftkit.net/

I use swift kit all the time. and to prevent any disagreement about wether or not it is againts the rules of runescape I looked into it before hand. The applications that are not ok are ones that move your mouse, log you in or do anything else without you haveing to do anything. swift kit is not like those other applications, it will not do anything for you while game playing, but it will open helpful links and information pages for you. It does not do anything for you as far as working your character so it is ok to use on runescape.

As i said I use swift kit all the time it helps with: pricing items, finding out where i can get items, calculating what needs to be done to reach the next skill level in any skill, clue scroll help, world map, notes pages, timers, and a mess of other aplications that help with runescape. For the serious "slayers" it has a slayer drop log that you can enter what you get with each drop and it will tell you the percentage rate of the drops. It has a mess of aplications that help to figure out how to improve your character skills, great quest help pages, sill help pages, and so forth.

I personally have never had a problem using swift kit, i have used it for the entire time i have been playing rs. almost 4 years now. (i started with swift switch because swift kit was not out at that time)

I highly reccomend swiftkit to everyone.

TrixStar
RSN: trixstar

Post by TrixStar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:34 am

I've used it since it came out. Trust me I wouldn't risk my account with something I didnt trust.

godess frigg
Inactive

Post by godess frigg » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:41 pm

I also have used sk since it came out (then swift switch)and i personally enjoy the game more with it, i looked into it long and hard before i began using it, the only problem jagex had with the then swift switch was that they deemed it an unfair advantage to world hopping, this issue was resolved with jagex when it changed to swiftkit, there have been no other issues with jagex and swiftkit since (as far as i am aware).
[img]http://hairylemons.webege.com/images/jane.jpg[/img]

[size=150][color=#BF0000][b]Dont arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, skid in sideways, chocolate n wine in hand, body worn out screaming WOOOOHOOOOOO what a ride![/b][/color][/size]

beckiebabe
Inactive
RSN: beckiegran

Post by beckiebabe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:53 pm

I've used it all the time i have been playing runescape, no problems at all :D
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Beckiegran][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/ice/pose/260/Beckiegran.png[/img][/url]

Abuthen
Inactive
RSN: Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Like a good drug, once u start .. u can't stop .. lol.
Assuming u like it in the first place..
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

9_red_monkey
Inactive
RSN: 9 red monkey

Post by 9_red_monkey » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:41 am

Its all I use and I love it!! I've used it for at least 3 or 4 years. I got it right after SS came out.

TrixStar

Post by TrixStar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:10 am

For those who do use it I have an IRC channel #TrixStar feel free to pop in and chat whenever.

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Post by PhelimReagh » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Just as a note, Jagex does not allow Player Mods to use SwiftKit. Jagex does not "approve" of the use of any third party client. They say SwiftKit is not considered cheating, but they can say nothing for the safety of it.

Remember, by using it you're basically passing your UserID and Password to SwiftKit every time. So in essence you and are relying on the technical competence and goodwill of some unknown third party with your logon credentials.

I'll confess I've never used it so I couldn't tell you how much better or easier it makes playing RS, but the above concerns are enough to prevent me from doing so.
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks for the information. This is a significant security risk. Therefore, I won't use it.
morituri te salutant

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 pm

One of the reasons that I stopped use Swiftkit was because it seemed like it was just an app with a browser plug-in and a few tools, which I could already do with RS fansites. It didn't seem to be doing any of the communication with the browser. If IE wouldn't load, the browser plug-in Swiftkit wouldn't load. It didn't seem to be intercepting any interaction between me and the browser plug-in. To that affect, I felt that I didn't need it as the tools could be found on other websites, and Swiftkit took screen real-estate away from my browser. That's why I stopped using it.

TrixStar

Post by TrixStar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:24 am

PhelimReagh wrote:Just as a note, Jagex does not allow Player Mods to use SwiftKit. Jagex does not "approve" of the use of any third party client. They say SwiftKit is not considered cheating, but they can say nothing for the safety of it.

Remember, by using it you're basically passing your UserID and Password to SwiftKit every time. So in essence you and are relying on the technical competence and goodwill of some unknown third party with your logon credentials.

I'll confess I've never used it so I couldn't tell you how much better or easier it makes playing RS, but the above concerns are enough to prevent me from doing so.

I'm sorry but this simply isn't true. It's just like logging on through IE but to each his own. Just do some research first.

Abuthen
Inactive
RSN: Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:44 am

Absolutely correct. SK taps on IE to render web-pages. And as with banks, Jagex has used Java to intercept any login or data exchange, so no implanted scripts at page level can work.

You can literally tell the difference as if its 2 separate programs at work. If you lookup the stats with SK on the right, typing anything doesn't work on the RS window portion, you have to click back IN the RS portion, not just the Window title.

The exception is IF SK has a key-logger, which, well, could be SK or anyone else, then you are at risk if you haven't taken precautions in the first place.
TrixStar wrote:
PhelimReagh wrote: Remember, by using it you're basically passing your UserID and Password to SwiftKit every time. So in essence you and are relying on the technical competence and goodwill of some unknown third party with your logon credentials.
I'm sorry but this simply isn't true. It's just like logging on through IE but to each his own. Just do some research first.
And i used to know the SS/SK creator.. well, i still do but i dun correspond with him nowadays.
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

TrixStar

Post by TrixStar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:56 am

The most important thing is that people feel safe with what they are using. Whether it's the official client, a web browser or SK. We all end up in the same place :)