Hardware/software tricks to make RS run smootly

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Platon_1981
Inactive
RSN: Platon1981

Hardware/software tricks to make RS run smootly

Post by Platon_1981 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if someone have a few tricks up their sleves making RS run faster, more stable and better?
Any advice would be welcomed by open arms and a beer in DK if you drop by ;-)

Bear in mind, that an explanation should be rather detailed for me to understand it. My computer skills are not that impressive.

Cheers

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Re: Hardware/software tricks to make RS run smootly

Post by Deep_Pain » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:35 am

There's so many it would take hours to list them all really.

There's your basics, make sure you don't have too many toolbars, browser add-ons etc running, make sure you dont have heaps of other unneccessary processes running, run a spyware scan with something like spybot. Defrag, update drivers, update java etc etc..

Then there's the more rigorous stuff if you've tried the basics and are still having problems. One of the RS fansites has a great list of these, I'll see if I can find the link, will save a lot of time, as the info is all out there somewhere. But unless ur playing on a pentium 2, they usually aren't needed.

Generally a computer that is made within the last 5 years on a half decent connection, should have no issues with runescape at all, if all your drivers are up to date, and your computer clean of spyware and you dont have a heap of crap using up ur memory etc. and have a decent connection, If you still have issues then there is something more fundementally wrong than a bit of tweaking will fix. You'll need to post your issue for a bit of troubleshooting I'm sure a few of us will be able to help out with. If the computer is more than 5 years old, the best hardware/software trick to make RS run smoothly is buy a new computer.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

astrochunk
Inactive
RSN: Astro Terror

Post by astrochunk » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:02 am

:-? If you haven't done so already, download and run runescape windows client, instead of running RS through your browser. On Jagex homepage, select community/downloads & wallpapers. There, you will find it 8)

Geve
Inactive
RSN: Geve0

Post by Geve » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:46 am

Also, you could try praying to a god and see if religion has any foundation? lol ;)

Dorkoverall
Inactive
RSN: Dorkoverall

Post by Dorkoverall » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:33 am

Geve wrote:Also, you could try praying to a god and see if religion has any foundation? lol ;)
Would that be Ichtarin, Zamorak, Guthix, Saradomin, Zaros or a totally different one? :S

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:17 am

Bill Gates, Steven Jobs, ...?
morituri te salutant

Geve
Inactive
RSN: Geve0

Post by Geve » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:14 pm

=)) I love intelligent humour :)

Platon_1981
Inactive
RSN: Platon1981

Post by Platon_1981 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks for the answers so far, I'll try giving it a go :-)

Cheers

Super 777
Inactive
RSN: Super 777

Post by Super 777 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:51 am

I would run: http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/re ... g/download

as well as: http://www.ccleaner.com/download

as well as: a basic windows defrag (which is built into your system)

Also, and this is big, if you have a 3rd party antivirus and/or firewall/internet security, chances are, they are slowing your system down considerably. Windows has a built in firewall that you can activate that will exceed the protection that norton or mcafee or w/e else is out there can give. Also, for antivirus, the best AND fastest which is also free is : http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus ... d=11014801

One more thing, which has already been mentioned is you should update your graphics drivers, which depending on if it is nvidia or ati, you will need to do that differently.

If you need any help being walked though any of these methods, i can help you. Honestly, there is a chance that you can near double your performance by making these changes =)