Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Touristguide
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Touristguide

Accounts being hacked

Post by Touristguide » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:51 am

KOA members,

Please be aware that we had a second member who had their RS account and bank hacked into and all of their stuff stolen. Highly recommend everyone consider changing your account passwords and Bank pins in order to protect your hard-earned items.

*Please note the hacks were in game and not on the KoA forum

Tourist

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Re: Accounts being hacked

Post by Dima » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:44 pm

I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.

Cally Raven
Site Admin
Site Admin
RSN: Cally Raven

Post by Cally Raven » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanx Tim and Dima, definitely worth it to keep ahead of your computer security :D
Image]

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Such an awful thing, to hack into an account to steal someone's virtual stuff.

In a way, though, I am surprised that Jagex can't track these. I would think that all transactions would be stored in some giant database for at least 24 hours. Not a difficult thing to do, but does require some storage. That way the transaction in which massive amounts of gold and other items disappeared from one account and into another account could be readily located and the receiving account disabled. When I did a program to store incident reports for the Baltimore police one of the safeguards we put in place was to store all searches for 30 days so that any person used the searches for anything but official business there would be an audit trail and any complaints could be rapidly upheld or refuted. That worked well for them.

It also seems like a transfer of all of an accounts' possessions in a few minutes should also trigger something, like an inquiry to the account owner. Sort of like when your bank calls you because your credit card was used in a strange location. Of course, there is a limit to what I can expect from Jagex when I only pay $5 per month to play the game. Still, you would think this might be an interesting thing to them to add to a premium account that I might actually look into.

Anyway, my sympathies to those who have been hacked. Also, thanks for the warnings that we should use complex passwords and change them from time to time.

Twirlindana
Site Admin
Site Admin
RSN: Twirlindana

Post by Twirlindana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:12 pm

I wouldn't mind paying a little more to be more protected on RS.
"I'm no hero. I put my bra on one boob at a time just like everyone else" - Tina Belcher
ImageImageImageImage

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Post by Deep_Pain » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Does Runescape allow complex passwords? Used to be case insensitive and no symbols? Probably changed years ago lol.

The authenticator seems decent enough protection for rs account

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Twirlindana
Site Admin
Site Admin
RSN: Twirlindana

Post by Twirlindana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Deep_Pain wrote:Does Runescape allow complex passwords? Used to be case insensitive and no symbols? Probably changed years ago lol.

The authenticator seems decent enough protection for rs account
No idea about symbols but it's still case insensitive
"I'm no hero. I put my bra on one boob at a time just like everyone else" - Tina Belcher
ImageImageImageImage