Combat Starting Kit

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

GrumpyGrampy
RSN: GrumpyGrampy

Combat Starting Kit

Post by GrumpyGrampy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:04 pm

Just Wondering what an In expensive reasonable Combat set up is.

I haven't done Combat for Years.
I came back to the game after a break to find my bank totally stripped,

So i shrugged it off and started to work on Skills rather than Combat.

Now I read in Clan Chat the Fun etc. that peeps are having i kind of miss Combat.

I have just Bought complete Bandos and two Dry Rapiers (didnt realise they were degradable :( )

But wondered what i should be aiming For ...... Please remember im Poor :( so no silly suggestions !!

Stats from memory Are Str 99, Attack 99, Def 99, Const 99, Range 80 something Prayer 79 ... close to 80, Summon 77 ( i think)

Would love to hear your suggestions !!!

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Re: Combat Starting Kit

Post by Deep_Pain » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:31 pm

for melee:

Bandos is OK, I use it, just because its non-degradable. it's great for general training - but can also hold its own at most bosses.

Most armours higher than bandos will be degradable. you could look at tetsu or torva, especially if you will be doing PvM against some of the stronger "bosses", but for day to day use, bandos is good and doesn't degrade.

as for the drygores again a good strong weapon, purely because I'm cheap and I like Dungeoneering, I tend to use chaotic weapons (I think in most situations your rapiers are stronger).

I also keep a sara godsword for its healing abilities on long but easy slayer tasks. - usually means you will need no food and have a nice empty inv for drops, but still kill quickly.

A lot depends on what you will be killing, but generally you can look at a strategy guide, with some exceptions that will be specific to that guide, the armour/weapons/accessories are listed from strongest to weakest.

IE:

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/General ... egies#Solo

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Jax
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Erebos Jax

Post by Jax » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:49 pm

this topic might help: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=12924
Qotsisajak
Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.
Tyûkjontû châtsatul nu midwan.
Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha.
Ashajontû kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

Steam: Devilnion
Origin: Holgoma
Anime-Planet: Devilnion

Princess Selene
Inactive
RSN: Selene

Post by Princess Selene » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Melee

- Bandos armour
- Drygores (they are absolutely worth it)
- A spear (if you want to attend a Corporeal Beast event)
----- Zamorakian spear (level 75, non degradeable)
----- Chaotic spear (level 80, degradeable, requires Zamorakian spear to make)
----- Blisterwood polearm (level 70, free, requires Branches of Darkmeyer)

Magic

- Subjugation armour
- A decent staff / wand and orb
----- Chaotic staff (level 80, degradeable)
----- Armadyl Battlestaff (level 78, infinite air runes, initial cost of 11 mill)
----- Staff of light (level 75, non degradeable)
----- Abyssal wand and orb (level 75, non degradeable)

Ranged

- Armadyl armour
- Royal bolts
- A decent bow / crossbow
----- Royal crossbow (level 80, degradeable, repaired by using Royal crossbow parts on it)
----- Chaotic crossbows (level 80, degradeable)

Generally Nice Equipment

- Dragon rider amulet (requires One of a kind)
- Asylum surgeon ring (requires Broken home, post quest reward)
- Sixth age circuit (requires The world wakes)
- Saradomin / Zamorak warpriest gear (level 75 hybrid armour with potential damage reduction)
- Demonhorn necklace in conjunction with bonecrusher (level 90 prayer required)
- Mighty slayer helmet

In the meantime it would be well worth it to invest some time in Player Owned Ports. The level 85 superior armour sets you can gain from that activity are well worth it (+ I imagine the new weapons would be nice too if you can't afford level 90 weapons).

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:44 pm

As Jax explains in the link above, Bandos armor is considered "power armor" -- damage bonuses come with each individual piece of the armour set. In fact, Bandos is the only melee power armor that doesn't degrade. Higher tier power armors *do* degrade and cost money to repair. I prefer using Bandos armor if the boss/monsters aren't too challenging. (I'm a cheapskate)

Another option is the non-tradeable World Event hybrid armors (that must be obtained as drops from NPCs in God Wars Dungeon). For example, the Warpriest of Bandos armour set. Unfortunately, it isn't power armor but it does defend equally well against, melee, magic, and range attacks.
morituri te salutant

zerocoollll
RSN: Zero Smurf

Post by zerocoollll » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:37 am

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Armour#Armour_types
found this page on wiki really helpful with the levels needed and can click the gear link to look up price to see if you can afford it. Doesn't look like it was updated for the port gear (really decent level 85 gear that does not cost any money)
I also saw on the pages that the warpriest armour is is better than Obsidian equipment unless you are fighting in TzHaar City. (at least what i understood from it ) please correct me if I am wrong.( I am not that experienced in being able to afford the best gear the game has to offer)
It also think it depends on what you are fighting like if you need hybrid/all gear or normal combat gear.

also took these quotes from the wiki page for the ports rewards page http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Player- ... rt/Rewards

"Tetsu armour is the best non-Dungeoneering melee Tank armour in the game, and the second best melee armour in the game, surpassed by Malevolent armour (However, Superior Tetsu armour has identical stats to their Malevolent counterparts). Tetsu armour requires level 85 Defence and Constitution to wear. Level 90 Smithing is required to make Tetsu armour. "

"Seasinger's robes are the second-best non-Dungeoneering magic armour in the game (surpassed by tectonic armour), although they are currently the best Tank armour for Magic. They requiring level 90 Runecrafting to make, and level 85 Defence and Constitution to wear."

"Death lotus armour is the second-best non-Dungeoneering ranged armour in the game, surpassed by sirenic armour, yet they are the best Tank armour for Ranged. Level 90 Crafting is required to make the armour, and it takes level 85 Defence and Constitution to wear. "

GrumpyGrampy
RSN: GrumpyGrampy

Post by GrumpyGrampy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Thank you all for your very informative answers !!! (And links) :)