Dragonfire shields

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Dragonfire shields

Post by Dr Brad » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:39 am

Following release of EOC, there are currently 3 different dragonfire shield (DFS) classes to choose: melee, magic, ranged.

As I understand it, if you're fighting with melee, you wield the melee DFS. If you're fighting with magic, you wield the magic DFS, etc. Beyond the designations of "melee", "magic,", or "ranged", how do the three shields differ? Presumably, the melee DFS protects against mage attacks; the magic DFS protects against range attacks, and the ranged DFS protects against melee attacks. Does that sound right to folks?
morituri te salutant

WolvinGod
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Wolvin God

Re: Dragonfire shields

Post by WolvinGod » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:16 am

the (MAGIC) gives more def vs melee atks, the (RANGE) gives more def vs magic attacks, and the (MELEE) gives more def vs range attacks, but at the same time if you do not use the shield suited for your class you lose accuracy towards your weapon. While on this subject, on another note, Helmets, gloves, and boots do not affect your accuracy while giving their respective def bonuses.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:21 am

WolvinGod wrote:the (MAGIC) gives more def vs melee atks, the (RANGE) gives more def vs magic attacks, and the (MELEE) gives more def vs range attacks, but at the same time if you do not use the shield suited for your class you lose accuracy towards your weapon. While on this subject, on another note, Helmets, gloves, and boots do not affect your accuracy while giving their respective def bonuses.
Thanks, Wolvin, but I'm not sure I understand. Where are you seeing these defenive stat changes listed in game?

If I'm wielding/wearing the MELEE DFS against a factitious 180 cb lvl foe, under the GEAR>LOADOUT screen, my:

Hit Chance vs. Melee = 22%
Hit Chance vs. Ranged = 30%
Hit Chance vs. Magic = 16%

with the RANGED DFS instead:

Hit Chance vs. Melee = 19%
Hit Chance vs. Ranged = 26%
Hit Chance vs. Magic = 13%

with the MAGIC DFS instead:

Hit Chance vs. Melee = 20%
Hit Chance vs. Ranged = 28%
Hit Chance vs. Magic = 15%

(These are all offensive stat changes. Block is unaffected.)

I don't see where defensive stats are changed. Please tell me where to look. Thanks!
morituri te salutant

WolvinGod
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by WolvinGod » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:08 am

Stat changes would just be in the "Block" area. Well if it doesn't change in Block then they are an exception to the rule. But the main thing is that it affects your accuracy. What armor setup are you using?

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:21 am

Here's how things are when I'm wearing full slayer helm, completionist cape, arcane stream necklace, superior sea singer's robe top, superior sea singer's robe bottom, virtus wand, static gloves, ragefire boots, ring of wealth but NO DFS:

Hit Chance vs. Melee = 0%
Hit Chance vs. Ranged = 0%
Hit Chance vs. Magic = 0%

Accuracy is 0
Critical 7.9%

Block Chance vs. Melee = 46%
Block Chance vs. Ranged = 19%
Block Chance vs. Magic = 35%

If I'm wielding/wearing the MELEE DFS against a factitious 180 cb lvl foe, under the GEAR>LOADOUT screen, my:

Block Chance vs. Melee = 51%
Block Chance vs. Ranged = 32%
Block Chance vs. Magic = 40%

if the RANGED DFS is equipped:

Block Chance vs. Melee = 48%
Block Chance vs. Ranged = 30%
Block Chance vs. Magic = 45%

if the MAGIC DFS is equipped:

Block Chance vs. Melee = 53%
Block Chance vs. Ranged = 27%
Block Chance vs. Magic = 42%

In sum, with the set up above, the best DFS for melee is the MAGIC DFS (53%), the best DFS for range is the MELEE DFS (32%), and the best DFS against magic is the RANGED DFS (45%). This agrees with what you said above, Wolvin. However, in the LOADOUT screen, the accuracy is always listed as "0" (zero).
morituri te salutant

WolvinGod
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by WolvinGod » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 am

Well there ya go. ^_^

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:13 pm

WolvinGod wrote:Well there ya go. ^_^
Although I'm not sure how this affects your accuracy since the value is unchanged at "0" (zero) with any DFS type wielded. So, I don't understand your statement above about accuracy ("But the main thing is that it affects your accuracy").

Runewiki has the following which seems pertinent:
Weakness modifier
*If using the class that your opponent is strong to, the weakness modifier will be 7.5
*If using the class that your opponent is neutral to, the weakness modifier will be 5.5
*If using the class that your opponent is weak to, the weakness modifier will be 4
*If using the style that your opponent is extra-weak to, the weakness modifier will be some number less than 4
(MY NOTE: The larger the weakness modifier, the more likely it is to negatively affect hit chance)

Equipment penalty
Wearing armour of the wrong class can negatively affect hit chance. Wearing any items in the shield, body or legs slot of the class you are strong to (if using melee, this is Ranged) will reduce your hit chance by 15%. Wearing any items in those slots of the class you are weak to will reduce your hit chance by 8%. This is intended to force players to use items of the same class while fighting.
As an example, Runewiki provides the following scenario where the weakness modifier will be maximal (7.5) and therefore the hit chance is the worst: Wielding a drygore weapon and wearing royal dragonhide body & chaps against a level 198 magic foe.

It seems overly complicated...
morituri te salutant

jc_hammy
Inactive
RSN: Jc Hammy

Post by jc_hammy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Wow, I am completely lost. I thought those shields meant that if I was using magic, carry the magic shield. I think I have a magic one and a melee one and have only used them to fight dragons. Are they good for anything else?

WolvinGod
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by WolvinGod » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:40 am

My guess is it is just bad coding and they left it out. If they did in fact code it correctly, perhaps it is an exception to the rule.

WolvinGod
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by WolvinGod » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 am

jc_hammy wrote:Wow, I am completely lost. I thought those shields meant that if I was using magic, carry the magic shield. I think I have a magic one and a melee one and have only used them to fight dragons. Are they good for anything else?
They are good if you don't have a chaotic-type shield (dungeoneering shield) or spirit shield. They don't degrade at least.

Frobozz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Frobozz

Post by Frobozz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:59 am

Dr Brad wrote:It seems overly complicated...
This^
I wouldn't mind a complicated combat system, if I didn't have to constantly relearn it. Image
Frobozz the Wizard
Because you have to burn. In order to shine.

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 am

So which dfs do we have if we just have the same old shield we had before Jagex messed it all up?

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:35 am

Gridenough wrote:So which dfs do we have if we just have the same old shield we had before Jagex messed it all up?
melee unless it says "(magic)" or "(ranged)" after "dragonfire shield"
morituri te salutant

mysticmoggy
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: mysticmoggy

Post by mysticmoggy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:57 am

Dr Brad wrote:
Gridenough wrote:So which dfs do we have if we just have the same old shield we had before Jagex messed it all up?
melee unless it says "(magic)" or "(ranged)" after "dragonfire shield"
How do you change it? As ive always wondered why my shield is poor!:-)

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:46 pm

mysticmoggy wrote:How do you change it? As ive always wondered why my shield is poor!:-)
The dragonfire shield (DFS) is an anti-dragon shield that has been fused with a draconic visage. When you create the shield, you can choose whether it's "standard" (melee) or one of the other ones. After you've made it, you need to charge it up via dragon fire attacks with your wielding the DFS for maximal protection.

It is possible to change between the different uncharged versions by using the dragonfire shield at the dragon forge located in the Ancient Cavern. A blast fusion hammer, which costs 1,000,000 gp, purchaseable from the Blast Furnace Foreman is required. This requires level 92 smithing to complete.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonfire_shield
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonf ... ld_(magic)
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonf ... d_(ranged)

Each of the DFS variants (uncharged) can be purchased or traded. It can't be lent.
morituri te salutant