Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Re: Squeal of Angry Runescape Members

Post by Deep_Pain » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:38 am

Q Knuckles Q wrote:Am I the only one who's indifferent to this? :-?
I wouldnt say Im indifferent as such, but I felt when it was released this would be the logical next step, when so many other MMO's have simular systems in place, I would have been surprised that they didnt make the logical next step paying for them.. especially when they were talking of free spins.. it suggested there would be paid spins.

Not happy about that, but not surprised. For me as long as I still enjoy playing the game and am lucky enough to know a heap of decent adult players who play I'll keep playing as long as RL stuff lets me. TBH I cant see it killing the game, I think this has damaged a lot of peoples trust in Jagex, but my trust in Jagex was lost a long time ago. I dont think they are bad or anything lol, just that for some time I've felt despite all the buzzwords about community and how much they value us etc.. They will change the game to bring in new and more players at the cost of old.

Some of those updates have improved the game no end, some of them have made it far far easier.

I saw heaps of people quit when RS 2 was released, cos they felt it was going to ruin the community.
I saw people quit when they released PC, 'cos it made it too easy to raise combat quickly.
Saw people quit when they made pray so much easier because they had spent so much time and money doing it the long way.
Saw people quit when cook / make x came out because it made some things so much quicker (and some things so much slower).
Mage arena.. D&D's .. not having to click individually for gathering skills.. etc. etc.. etc..
Of course the end of free trade and the Pay to PK riots.
and of course when new skills come out.

There have been so many releases over the years, that have made the game easier, at the cost of the current community, at the cost of those who had already spent so much time and effort achieving things the older harder way.. yes this is a step further.. is it worse? I dont know but I certainly see people have a right to be upset and am sure if Jagex dont change it they will lose a load of people :( I think the biggest and most understandable issue with this one, is the change of direction by Jagex, going against what they have supposedly held true for some time, rather than the ability for some people to gain out of it by spending inordinate amounts of money. I do understand that, but for me it wasnt a shock.. Jagex will do what is best for them as a company, the only thing we can hope along the way is that this coincides with being the best thing for us.. (more money being put back into the game)

I know I'm not so happy that someone my level who started 2 years ago.. probably had to spend far less time on training than someone my level who started 11 years ago.. I certainly wasnt happy when they killed PKing it was the whole reason I played the game. It's only cos we started KoA 7 days before that, that I decided to stay, but for a long time it was only my commitment to KoA that kept me here, I'd long stopped enjoying the game, but over that couple of years I havent really played, the game has changed drastically.. in my view for the better.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:57 pm

You're mostly right Deep.

All those other complaints you've mentioned, where an update has made it easier to level skills or gain money, are all progressive. They move and evolve the game forward, usually supported with backstory and lore. As much as people bitch and complain the updates add to the game and make it better.

This is a stark contrast. There is no lore, there is no backstory. There isn't even a character in the game or "physical" location you can go to. It's an interface button that brings up a bloody screen that has a button and a wheel. It's possible to 1) gain XP, 2) gain GP, and 3) gain items WITHOUT EVER LEAVING THAT SCREEN. That is so ****ed up I have a hard time finding words. I made a joke on Twitter that the iOS version of RuneScape now only needs to be a red button and a method of payment.

I hate microtransactions, but I could find it more palatable if they simply opened the Loyalty Shop to IRL $$. No experience, no items, no GP, mostly cosmetic (sell all the emotes, titles, costumes you want, see if I care). Even if the auras were for sale most of them are minor modifications to gameplay and still require you to play the game to gain any benefit. Heck, if they made a nice request to the players "we need some cash for development" perhaps I would even buy an emote or two.

But instead they've decided to implement this in the worst way possible and be complete ass-douches about it. My membership remains cancelled for now but doesn't run out until June. We'll see what happens.

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Quote from player:
Mod Timbo has just confirmed on hidden forums that the SOF is staying whether we like it or not.
Mod Timbos confirmation of this:
So much for hidden forums then eh? There is nothing different or more controversial being posted elsewhere than what is being posted on the main forums. I've said that the update is permanent but is subject to change via feedback so please do keep posting it.

Timbo
Says it all tbh, they wont listen to us

dev
RSN: Hexables

Post by dev » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Recent winnings: 100+ Huge lamps. Im maxed now :P

/trolling
ImageImage

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:27 pm

dev wrote:Recent winnings: 100+ Huge lamps. Im maxed now :P

/trolling
That seems to be this guy's plan. http://runetrack.com/progress.php?user= ... ill=slayer

750 spins/day (the max; $200 worth) nets a little bit of exp it would seem. Yep this buying spins is not an unfair advantage. :roll:
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Post by Deep_Pain » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:24 am

Dave wrote:
dev wrote:Recent winnings: 100+ Huge lamps. Im maxed now :P

/trolling
That seems to be this guy's plan. http://runetrack.com/progress.php?user= ... ill=slayer

750 spins/day (the max; $200 worth) nets a little bit of exp it would seem. Yep this buying spins is not an unfair advantage. :roll:
His video says that he was getting 150k for 75 lamps, $200 for 1.5m exp that will go up as his levels do no doubt, but most players wouldnt have his levels. Despite a few scare mongering posts out there on some sites, Reading thru quite a few I think it's a fairly good average.

round it up to say 200k exp for 75 lamps..

someone trying to get from lvl 90 to 99 $800
Doing that in 25 skills $20k
Players looking to do that from around lvl 70 in all skills with the exp drop on lamps.. well over $50k

Amount of players on RS willing or able to spend $1k on levels, not enough to affect me.
Amount of players willing to spend 10's of k $ on levels, even less to affect me.
Amount of players willing to spend $50k to get a max account :-/
As for trying to climb high scores into the top 150+ $100k to $500k depending on your start levels etc..

I definately understand that Jagex have done an about face, and have broken a lot of peoples trust, I get that a lot of people see this as wrong, I can see that and understand that side of it.

I just cant see the worry with people gaining inordinate amounts of exp or an advantage thru this.. that the amount of people who will gain large amounts of exp really isnt that many, and if people want to spend that kind of money on RS well I think they may need a little help TBH.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 am

I like to find and use the most efficient path to training a skill.

For slow skills such as Runecrafting, Agility, Mining, Slayer, and others, it is more time efficient (XP/hr) for me to go get a second job, spend the hours I would have played RuneScape earning money, then spending that money on spins. In other words, I would advance my skills faster by not actually playing RuneScape. Some Runecrafting calculations put a low wage job earning spins at 33% faster than ZMI.

So one could imagine that only a small amount of people would put serious $ on spins; but in reality if you're serious about leveling your skills then you could save time (and consequently money) via spins. Anyone serious enough to do the math will opt for the spins route and the game will be reduced to a mockery of it's former self.

dev

Post by dev » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:20 am

I feel more sorry for the poor souls that spend that much money on a game that more likely than not they won't be playing within a few years.

Just because there is a supplier doesn't mean we have to consume.
ImageImage

dev

Post by dev » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 am

And just as a point of reference, an account that is maxed out in combat and multiple other skills can be bought online for ~$500. Even though account selling is illegal, if someone were going to blow hundreds of dollars to get ahead in a game, why wouldn't they go that route?
ImageImage

Blackxp
Inactive
RSN: Blackxp

Post by Blackxp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:24 am

I think the main issue is really the hypocrisy of it all.

The xp rate is rather high, but to be honest the cost for which xp is relatively high. I understand the minimum wage argument is out there, but no one will honestly be able to maintain that with a minimum wage job unless they live in their mother's basement and can somehow explain that all of their money is going towards digital goods in a video game. I know there are people that can afford it but the cost -> gain is relatively low.

The item gain from this is very low. Getting a lucky item is extremely extremely rare and for anything worth while such as a divine or elysian it is unheard of. I think Brad even said there are no accounts of anyone getting one. Even with 1 million members accounts (or whatever it is now) spinning 2x per day for 2 months. It does show it globally. So no one has made a video of someone getting one (in-game message), seen someone with one equipped and screenshotted it, etc (except a jmod showing them off).

So as of right now the gain for xp and items is kinda obnoxious, and really not worth the amount of money put into it. My main issue is that not months ago you had Jagex saying that we had to pull together as a community to ensure that there is no market for RWT so that the bots will leave this game.

*Slams face on keyboard for the next 1 minute, Im serious and I got a timer running*

asjkldhakhdjsa
dsasjkdhashjsdaq
asdwgfag
32r287fd
d

SSDKJL23921092JHSLKNDSC FHHUIHUQWREGROKOOKOKOKOKOKKOOKOIJEIHEF
RHHE3OKP
389329870329OKESWKODFSA
DFJDFK
DASASJSA
SADJSKJDA
SADKKJ
LK;HEDFDFHDFDFSKDHFSHFE3WOHF289Y3985Y31258YFLAKJDFJKLDFHOJIJKDSHJIKYJKEDKMLJDSDSLKlklasklsdklgoihiojoje3ijqijqwijoqwiodwiijowqijdihwqd

So that is my opinion on the issue and a full minute of face desking. I even think I must have hit the caps lock somewhere in there because idk how I could have hit the shift key strategically with my face like that.

B F O A
RSN: B F O A

Post by B F O A » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:38 am

Blackxp wrote:
*Slams face on keyboard for the next 1 minute, Im serious and I got a timer running*

asjkldhakhdjsa
dsasjkdhashjsdaq
asdwgfag
32r287fd
d

SSDKJL23921092JHSLKNDSC FHHUIHUQWREGROKOOKOKOKOKOKKOOKOIJEIHEF
RHHE3OKP
389329870329OKESWKODFSA
DFJDFK
DASASJSA
SADJSKJDA
SADKKJ
LK;HEDFDFHDFDFSKDHFSHFE3WOHF289Y3985Y31258YFLAKJDFJKLDFHOJIJKDSHJIKYJKEDKMLJDSDSLKlklasklsdklgoihiojoje3ijqijqwijoqwiodwiijowqijdihwqd
Don't worry folks. I've known blackxp my whole life. This is normal

Tristabella
RSN: Tristabella

Post by Tristabella » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:39 am

When I heard about this update in game I scoffed thinking that it was some people stirring...alas no, I found the post, bold as day there on the front page; I won't quit because of...but I won't be buying any spins either! This game means a lot to me, I started playing it during a very dark time in my life and this game brought so much more than I ever would have expected into my life...so I won't be quitting it without a fight.

A few years ago (after having a 'disagreement' with JaGEx) I left to try and find another game, I tried quite a few and most of them had already implemented micro transactions...the difference was that a lot of the items are tradeable and readily sold from player to player which seemed to work out well for those games. However, all of the games I trialled were solely based around PKing...I class myself more as a skiller so there wasn't another game out there where I could design my character the way I wished without needing it to be combat based. I also found that most other games ran primarily around group play whether it was guilds, clans or whatever else they called them...I didn't like this idea and as a newer player of them, found it REALLY hard to find a group to play.

I understand that JaGEx is a company and needs to make money, and seeing as the company has now been sold off, we can't expect the new owners to hold the sentimentality for it that a lot of us and even the older JMods do...after all, to them it is primarily a money maker so that's what they'll do...try to make money from it in any way possible. What they don't realise is they'll lose a lot of loyal customers by doing this...at the very least they should be asking their players or holding votes to make us 'feel' like we're getting a say in it...but I don't know, maybe there's no hope...I guess i'll just sit in my little part of the world, cross my fingers and hope for the best (cross my fingers = have a few cold beverages ;)).

Torri
RSN: Tynset

Post by Torri » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Sadly, after doing more research into this...Jagex has sold off 55% of their interest in RS to US based company Insight Venture Partners. This is a very cut-throat firm who seems to simply acquire companies to raise their bottom line. =/ Means more money based additions, less user friendly additions.
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img43/5832/36320 ... 081185.jpg[/img]

[spoiler][sig]2012-03_Firemaking_1st-Torri.png[/sig][/spoiler]

Mermaid85040
RSN: BeingWicked

Post by Mermaid85040 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:19 pm

Torri wrote:Sadly, after doing more research into this...Jagex has sold off 55% of their interest in RS to US based company Insight Venture Partners. This is a very cut-throat firm who seems to simply acquire companies to raise their bottom line. =/ Means more money based additions, less user friendly additions.

Good to know but makes me very sad

Supra
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Tarmogoyf

Post by Supra » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Torri wrote:Sadly, after doing more research into this...Jagex has sold off 55% of their interest in RS to US based company Insight Venture Partners. This is a very cut-throat firm who seems to simply acquire companies to raise their bottom line. =/ Means more money based additions, less user friendly additions.

Also Andrew Gower is no longer part of runescape, he has left to start his own game development and consulting firm which he owns 90% of. He no longer has shares in rs which i think is part of jagex downfall him being gone.
Main account
Second account (Ironman)