Squeal of Angry Runescape Members

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Re: Squeal of Angry Runescape Members

Post by Tamal » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 pm

From the RuneScape rules at http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/ ... ld_trading:
We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape.
Reported.

Satrianisaxe
RSN: Satrianisaxe

Post by Satrianisaxe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Sorry but I have to disagree with anyone who feels this is acceptable in any form!! Quote from their very own Code of Conduct:
"Account trading or selling, as well as trading of in-game items or gold for real life items or currency, is considered RWT and is strictly against the rules of both RuneScape and its forums.
Offences in this category include: Advertising the buying or selling of accounts or in-game items, including gold.
Encouraging or directing other players to break any RWT rules."

Also, there appears to be no safe guards in place to stop children, whose parents pay for their membership, from buying as many spins as they want without parental authority.
This is a Facebook-esque update which is RWT. The gambling side of things could also open a whole can of legal worms! Shame on you Jagex. Should we be considering some sort of clan petition - not that it will do much good?

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Ive been watching Mod Timbos replies about the recent update, here is a reply:
This is *not* gambling - as you are guaranteed to win an item each time when you spin the Squeal (and there is no real world monetary gain by winning anything on the Squeal) it is not gambling.

Timbo
Other things that parents may not be aware of in the accounts section, if they are paying for the membership via debit/credit card and have a recurring membership each month, bank details have been saved onto the payment section, therefore kids can freely pay for more spinds without the parents even knowing.
There is the option to not save credit card details when you buy your membership and you can take those off as well. I don't think getting people to panic over something that has been a part of the Billing system for a couple of months now is really the best way to go about it.

Timbo
Unfortunetly I was unable to find anywhere that I could clear my card details without cancelling the membership.

On a final point, was wondering how many of your children have mobile phones that you pay the bill for? There is also an option to pay by sms message, this is where parents get hoodwinked and wont know anything about it until they get the bill at the end of each month.

My opinion, load of rubbish from Jagex, I know some people have said that we have the option to get these spins, but unfortunetly, some parents who dont eve play the game, may get a big bill soon.

serame
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Serame

Post by serame » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:28 pm

One thing I have always liked about Runescape and one reason I have let my kids play is that if you stretch a little bit you could say that the game requires them to work and save money and purchase things with cash, and it encourages goal-setting and persistence, with suitable rewards at the end.

Even if this isn't technically gambling, what is it teaching the kids? I didn't like the squeal when it first came out and I really don't like it now. I'm not going to play squeal anymore, I can live without 50 gp and a new bucket each day.

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:12 pm

What part of gambling does that bloody thick Mod Timbo not get? How thick is this guy? If you pay money and by randomness get a different outcome/reward from the push of a button, it's bloody gambling!

Im off on the RS forums to call this guy a thick git!

dunder
Inactive
RSN: dunder miffl

Post by dunder » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:31 pm

I put much thought to my decision but this is how it has to be. Actions are better than idle threats. It's too bad my subscription doesnt end until 9-7-2012. It will give me time to unload my items and gp to all friends who opt to stick around. :-D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Starwolf
RSN: Starwolf

Post by Starwolf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Membership expires in May thanks to a 90 day membership card.. Really wishing it was a 30 day card. >.>
[img]http://sigs.runeslayer.com/MzSxNrHOtTYy ... arwolf.png[/img][sig]2012-02_Farming_2nd-Starwolf.gif[/sig]

Torri
RSN: Tynset

Post by Torri » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Mine has been cancelled as well, as of May 10th, 2012. We'll see how they play this one out.
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img43/5832/36320 ... 081185.jpg[/img]

[spoiler][sig]2012-03_Firemaking_1st-Torri.png[/sig][/spoiler]

Supra
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Tarmogoyf

Post by Supra » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

It is in my mind to quit rs for good for many reasons. Tbh im not for or against this SoF in the extra spins by skilling,doing d&ds or killin monsters for them, but i am against buying them. Another reason i might be leaving is that i see so many true players leaving and rs would be full of imature anoying or "noobs" players that bought their items or lvls, which i for one do not want to be around when that is all there is.
Main account
Second account (Ironman)

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Pvm Shorty says to another 138 'Hey how long did it take you to get 138 cb', they 138 replies, 'about 2 weeks, i paid £500 for the spins and my mummy doesnt know about it yet', gobsmacked, Shorty asks how far away he is from maxing all levels, the 138 replies, 'im about another £300 from maxing, so should get cape in a couple days in my mummy doesnt find out'.

Come on Jagex, seriously?

Supra
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Tarmogoyf

Post by Supra » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:25 pm

shortyp wrote:Pvm Shorty says to another 138 'Hey how long did it take you to get 138 cb', they 138 replies, 'about 2 weeks, i paid £500 for the spins and my mummy doesnt know about it yet', gobsmacked, Shorty asks how far away he is from maxing all levels, the 138 replies, 'im about another £300 from maxing, so should get cape in a couple days in my mummy doesnt find out'.

Come on Jagex, seriously?

Worse then that really, i calced for me to get 99 rc from 90 id have to spend about $2k us dollars for that one skill. So this could ruin people if they get hacked/kids using parents cc/ or people to addicted to buyin spins for lvls to stop. This just ends up being a real bad situatuion for many people.
Main account
Second account (Ironman)

dev
RSN: Hexables

Post by dev » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Doesn't affect me too much as I won't use it, though I understand why people are pissed. I have a strong feeling that it will be changed within the next month as it looks like nobody is happy about it.
ImageImage

Rissa
RSN: Rissa

Post by Rissa » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:50 pm

I've rarely seen them renege on something just because people don't like it. Sadly, they really don't listen much to people who really care about the quality of the game. They HAD to know people were going to rage over this when they decided on it, so I'm sure this reaction is expected. I think they really just don't care and only think about how heavy their pocketbooks are.

Philoz 494
RSN: Bao Cong

Post by Philoz 494 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:19 pm

Its all about money, I don't know what to say but this is very dissapointing...

Fluff
RSN: Fluff n Slay

Post by Fluff » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 am

I hate what all this does to my KoA family :(
I hope you have reason to renew your memberships again
ImageImage