swiftkit question

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Abuthen
Inactive
RSN: Abuthen

Re: swiftkit question

Post by Abuthen » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:00 am

Ewsentinel wrote:and Swiftkit took screen real-estate away from my browser. That's why I stopped using it.
Funny, I've been playing around with sizing the window, and though RS now handles various sizing, there is a limit to what it will display (ie, no one gets a real advantage of seeing more or "farther"), it will expand accordingly.
Now with a wide screen setting, I don't effectively miss out anything by having a SK panel on the right, which I usually use to check player's stats instead of always asking noob-like questions like "what's yr str?" etc.

I think as with any app, its how useful u personally find it and if it suits yr style of playing.
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Post by PhelimReagh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:45 am

TrixStar wrote:
PhelimReagh wrote:Just as a note, Jagex does not allow Player Mods to use SwiftKit. Jagex does not "approve" of the use of any third party client. They say SwiftKit is not considered cheating, but they can say nothing for the safety of it.

Remember, by using it you're basically passing your UserID and Password to SwiftKit every time. So in essence you and are relying on the technical competence and goodwill of some unknown third party with your logon credentials.

I'll confess I've never used it so I couldn't tell you how much better or easier it makes playing RS, but the above concerns are enough to prevent me from doing so.

I'm sorry but this simply isn't true. It's just like logging on through IE but to each his own. Just do some research first.
I have done research. I know you're downloading a Visual Basic executable file, and the only one who knows what goes into the software build is some self-identified person on the internet. I know that they "upgrade" the software and that you download periodic updates. So not only do you not know what SwiftKit's original source code is when you download it, nor do you know what are in the updates that will be coming in the future.

More importantly, though, Jagex (the folks that, you know, make the game) has done the research. And that's why they tell their player moderators that SwiftKit is NOT allowed.

I never understood how people get so passionate in defending a tool created by an anonymous and unaccountable Runescape player they know only through the internet.

Taking the risk yourself and having faith that SwiftKit is harmless is one thing.

However, claiming that anyone other than the SwiftKit developer knows what is in the executable and what WILL be in all their future updates is irresponsible.

The long and the short of it is you're taking a gamble downloading and installing the software.
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

Abuthen
Inactive
RSN: Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:51 am

Wow,
PhelimReagh wrote: I have done research. I know you're downloading a Visual Basic executable file, and the only one who knows what goes into the software build is some self-identified person on the internet. I know that they "upgrade" the software and that you download periodic updates. So not only do you not know what SwiftKit's original source code is when you download it, nor do you know what are in the updates that will be coming in the future.
Oh right, that sort of applies to .. i dunno .. almost every piece of software that I have installed?
I guess i live dangerously, while crossing my fingers and hopping the darned firewall, antivrus, antimalware, antirootkit and whatever else is working.
PhelimReagh wrote: More importantly, though, Jagex (the folks that, you know, make the game) has done the research. And that's why they tell their player moderators that SwiftKit is NOT allowed.
I hope they have and you're not just saying that they have done the research.
And erm, that's exactly what Jagex will tell their player mods. That's so they dun send the wrong message out ... my my, that would be like Apple sales being allowed to use PCs for their work.

I kinda hope that Jagex is a responsible company, that if they have indeed done their research that SK could even possibly be doing bad things to our PCs, they would make a big announcement banning it or something. Afterall losing players this way hurts the bottom line.
PhelimReagh wrote: I never understood how people get so passionate in defending a tool created by an anonymous and unaccountable Runescape player they know only through the internet.
Dude, its a tool. Its not a passion. Same like my PC. A commodity if you wish. And ol Stryker is not anonymous to Jagex. and yea he has not played since swiftwitch.
PhelimReagh wrote: Taking the risk yourself and having faith that SwiftKit is harmless is one thing.
However, claiming that anyone other than the SwiftKit developer knows what is in the executable and what WILL be in all their future updates is irresponsible.
I dun recall anyone claiming to know what's in the executable - guess I'm not irresponsible then.

p/s I jailbreak my iPhone too .. and really that's scarier.
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

axie
Inactive
RSN: triste

Post by axie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:09 am

Well, I don't think SK poses as much of a threat.
I've been using SK for at least 2 years now and I have never been hacked (:
I know many many friends (PK'ers, warring clans, etc) who always use SK and have never been hacked.
Also, I know 2 PMods who play on SK all the time lol they are rebels!!! XD

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Post by PhelimReagh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:49 am

Abuthen wrote:Wow,
PhelimReagh wrote: I have done research. I know you're downloading a Visual Basic executable file, and the only one who knows what goes into the software build is some self-identified person on the internet. I know that they "upgrade" the software and that you download periodic updates. So not only do you not know what SwiftKit's original source code is when you download it, nor do you know what are in the updates that will be coming in the future.
Oh right, that sort of applies to .. i dunno .. almost every piece of software that I have installed?
I guess i live dangerously, while crossing my fingers and hopping the darned firewall, antivrus, antimalware, antirootkit and whatever else is working.
That's rather specious logic. There's a clear difference, as I stated later in my post, that Swiftkit is developed by some unknown person that people only know through message boards and IRC channels. There is no legal address for them on their website, and by providing the software free-of-charge they can avoid some legal responsibility. Microsoft, McAfee, Runescape, what have you, have something to lose by deliberately screwing you over, such as money, their reputation, etc.
Abuthen wrote:
PhelimReagh wrote: More importantly, though, Jagex (the folks that, you know, make the game) has done the research. And that's why they tell their player moderators that SwiftKit is NOT allowed.
I hope they have and you're not just saying that they have done the research.
And erm, that's exactly what Jagex will tell their player mods. That's so they dun send the wrong message out ... my my, that would be like Apple sales being allowed to use PCs for their work.

I kinda hope that Jagex is a responsible company, that if they have indeed done their research that SK could even possibly be doing bad things to our PCs, they would make a big announcement banning it or something. Afterall losing players this way hurts the bottom line.
Jagex constantly tells folks that while it is not against their rules to use Swiftkit, they cannot verify what you're downloading or what you're going to be downloading in future updates.

Abuthen wrote:
PhelimReagh wrote: I never understood how people get so passionate in defending a tool created by an anonymous and unaccountable Runescape player they know only through the internet.
Dude, its a tool. Its not a passion. Same like my PC. A commodity if you wish. And ol Stryker is not anonymous to Jagex. and yea he has not played since swiftwitch.
You mean "Strider3282"? There's no saying he couldn't simply sell the software to somebody, or "accidentally" lose control long enough for someone to slip in a malicious update. And then what? There are countless ways for SwiftKit to go wrong.
Abuthen wrote:
PhelimReagh wrote: Taking the risk yourself and having faith that SwiftKit is harmless is one thing.
I dun recall anyone claiming to know what's in the executable - guess I'm not irresponsible then.

p/s I jailbreak my iPhone too .. and really that's scarier.
The only way you can legitimately claim that it's safe is to know what's in the build. Otherwise, you're just giving an uninformed opinion.

Sadly, there are loads of people around Runescape claiming that they know it's safe when there's absolutely no way for them to know one way or the other.

Just as it would be wrong for me to say "Don't use SwiftKit because it has viruses in it", it's just as wrong for anyone else to claim that it's safe to use. No one, pro or con, knows what is in it or will be in it.

And as I said a few times, the fact that the guy who makes it is some anonymous internet person, as opposed to a legitimate honest-to-goodness company, should be enough to sway a rational mind away from taking the risk.
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

KingEdward
Inactive
RSN: ED D I E

Post by KingEdward » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:05 pm

I don't like using SK because when I open multiple browsers I keep getting a white screen on runescape. Other than that its all right program

Garnet Red
Inactive
RSN: Garnet Red

Post by Garnet Red » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:35 am

I've used s/k since before it changed from s/s ;) Never had any problems with it and I really like having all the many options at my fingertips. I have to say tho that zybez recently updated and.. well I think they went for form over function.. someone went to a lot of trouble to make pretty webpages but the older ones were more easily navigated in my opinion.

Garnet Red

dustin_leet
Inactive
RSN: OriginalGman

Post by dustin_leet » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:20 am

Ive used swiftkit everday since HID told me about it few months back. I love it and its perfectly legal for runescape, it dosent bread there rules or anything. Its safe to only download it from swift kits site.

jaklumen
Inactive

Post by jaklumen » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:35 pm

I'll just add my paltry two cents/pence, which when adjusted for inflation, doesn't buy much at all. And speaking of gambling, I can reasonably assume many will just gloss over this or skip it entirely. Whatever.

This has been with Zybez since the very beginning. I used it for a short time when it was called "Runescape Toolkit" and was designed for RS1/Classic. I lost track of the project when they were revamping it for RS2; I did not catch that it was renamed to "SwiftSwitch". By the time I did find out, I was working for Tip.It and they had a pretty ham-fisted policy at that time against users displaying screenshots with the tell-tale SS mark.

I figured I wasn't missing much and decided to move to the "empty" browser that is the Jagex client, as I wanted to optimize my system resources... Java already being pretty piggy on CPU cycles. Then I found it could be recreated with XULRunner/Prism so the window was connected to Firefox settings instead of IE. That's what I use to this day since I'm now a Linux user; the Jagex client simply is no longer an option.

The main draw that I see with Swift is the built-in IRC client. That's it. Everyone I talked to said that was why they used it, for the most part; to have IRC in the same window as Runescape.

Jagex has a lot more to lose than Zybez, that I grant. But since Zybez has been around for a good while and has invested a LOT into the clan community, I don't think they can always invoke a "Get Out of Jail Free" card just because SK is offered free of charge. I do remember reading that the world switcher was removed (although it's ALWAYS been a feature) just so Jagex didn't come down with a 2 ton lawsuit or whatever.

I know far more about the messy politics of fansites than I ever care to have learned about (especially Tip.It) and so I can't say I respect Zybez one lick on that front. Yes, SK is a risk. But I sincerely doubt it's a big one.

Just for the sake of argument, Tip.It has a Firefox extension here: http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?p ... helper.htm
that does some of the things SK does, albeit no IRC.