15%
Never
54%

Total votes: 46

scootch
RSN: Scootchy

Re: Just out of curiousity......

Post by scootch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 pm

I Use Mummble Is a hoot. Skype laggs so bad I cant use it when i game. I Use Vent and Xfire as well to talk with the various Pk Clans. Keeps the confusion down. Love Mummble thanks KOA for having a awsome voice chat.

One thing hard to pk And hop worlds if you trying to type. Voice helps When I am fighting i not looking at the type.

Like brad Most the time i cant see the type in the cc. Voice Is the best IMO

G L V
RSN: Jack Lentils

Post by G L V » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 pm

I would consider using it if other members in Koa used it, I'm not sure if others are on. I have used TS in past. I

Joedakiller
RSN: Joedakiller

Post by Joedakiller » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:04 pm

I dont have mumble. I use Skype.

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Post by PhelimReagh » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:15 am

Since I play online games, I'm really becoming a minimalist. I have begun to see each new internet-enabled application as another way for troublemakers to exploit my computer's security. Hackers and crackers are getting savvier, and each new app is a new batch of settings to configure and privacy options to be wary of, and as such they become new apps I really need to master to feel comfortable with.

People always thought IRC was lovely and safe, and it became a way for the ill-intentioned to get IP addresses and wreak havoc from there. I imagine most of these other communications tools have the same options for admins to see IP data, and as such that data could be exploited by a malicious admin in the group to which you belong, or if that admin's own security is compromised.

I understand most folks don't share my same level of personal security paranoia (yet), but every extra tool on your computer that communicates out opens up another hook back into it. The more tools/hooks you have, the more chances that someone can find a way to exploit. Getting compromised is too risky these days, especially if you do your banking or other fairly secure things on your computer.
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

scootch

Post by scootch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:49 am

Well What ever one uses is fine by me. I really dont Care. I Use KOA's Mummble. Dont know what all the hoopla is about. With straight up talk if you dont wanna use mummble. then Use Skype. vent What ever. or string a few cans between you houses. It really dont matter.
We Use Mummble when we PVP. Its easier Plain and Simple. Is Just another voice chat.
Do you have to use it no. Is it easier yes. You wanna type then fine type. Will You get a answer when you type Eventually. if you dont like what i say then start another pole and vote on some other crap that makes no sence. This My Oppnion and Does Not Reflect on KOA.

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 am

scootch wrote:Well What ever one uses is fine by me. I really dont Care. I Use KOA's Mummble. Dont know what all the hoopla is about. With straight up talk if you dont wanna use mummble. then Use Skype. vent What ever. or string a few cans between you houses. It really dont matter.
We Use Mummble when we PVP. Its easier Plain and Simple. Is Just another voice chat.
Do you have to use it no. Is it easier yes. You wanna type then fine type. Will You get a answer when you type Eventually. if you dont like what i say then start another pole and vote on some other crap that makes no sence. This My Oppnion and Does Not Reflect on KOA.
Thats what my friends used to tell me they needed to do to communicate with me before I got a mobile phone. They'd also mention smoke signals once in a while. :lol:
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Pa7uL
Inactive
RSN: Lord Pa7ul

Post by Pa7uL » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:44 pm

I tried it a few times but I feel kinda rude being on it and ignoring my wife and kid so I haven't used it in a LONG time.

magerpainz
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Magerpainz

Post by magerpainz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:05 am

If you don't want it, don't get it, but that is what most of the clan is using during events.

Mumble mumble
Last edited by magerpainz on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Sometimes..standing for what you believe...means standing alone!
"Live your life. Take chances. Be crazy. Don't wait. Right now is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you will ever be again!"
I want a Spartan Woman!

SnowAngel
Inactive
RSN: SnowAngel

Post by SnowAngel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:01 am

magerpainz wrote:If you don't want it, don't get it, but that is what most of the clan is using during events.
I don't really care if ppl use it or don't use it but the numbers on this poll as of right now say 54% of KoA members never use it so you can't really say "most of the clan" is using it during events.
*2nd acct - PurpleSnow
Image Image ImageImageImage

Missing Jeff @};- (Magerpainz)

magerpainz
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by magerpainz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:24 am

I don't really care if anyone uses it or not either, but I believe the outcome of the recent event, shows the benefits of using some sort of voice chat in organizing a team, especially during a battle type of event.

Since Mumble was the program chosen by the clan staff, then that's the program, most of the clan using voice at the event was taking advantage of. Anyone that might have felt out of the loop, probably wasn't using it.

I've read the posts leading up to the event, and although it was stipulated that mumble wasn't a requirement, it was highly recommended.

My pc is probably as ancient as anyone's. My game freezes if I open another page, but my game runs fine on mumble.
As far as security goes, anytime you enter a chat, open a web page, surf the internet, open an email, or just have your pc connected to the internet, you are risking having your pc and all info on it invaded by intruders.
Image Image Image
"Live your life. Take chances. Be crazy. Don't wait. Right now is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you will ever be again!"
I want a Spartan Woman!

magerpainz
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by magerpainz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Taken from wiki:
"Unlike other VoIP services, Skype is a peer-to-peer system rather than a client–server system, and makes use of background processing on computers running Skype software; the original name proposed – Sky peer-to-peer – reflects this.

Some network administrators have banned Skype on corporate,[3] government, home, and education networks,[4] citing reasons such as inappropriate usage of resources, excessive bandwidth usage,[5] and security concerns.[6] "
Image Image Image
I want a Spartan Woman!

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:42 pm

Note that only 39 ppl responded to the poll so far. (approx. 1/2 Mumble; 1/2 don't Mumble)

We have approx 140 members. I can assure you that the great majority of KoA members don't use Mumble. Some KoA members are more active at events than other. Still, we always want to assure that non-Mumblers (non-VOIP) KoA members feel welcome to events. It would be of great concern if for some reason they didn't feel welcome.
morituri te salutant

magerpainz
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by magerpainz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:22 am

agree
Image Image Image
I want a Spartan Woman!

scootch

Post by scootch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Agree trix

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:53 am

Mumble only works if you use a fake English accent. If you use a real English accent, or any other accent, it won't work. So, let's all get on Mumble and use a fake English accent!