15%
Never
54%

Total votes: 46

ShadowD3F
RSN: KingLindon

Just out of curiousity......

Post by ShadowD3F » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:13 am

Personally i dont have mumble considering im already using skype. I don't see the point in having multiple voice chat accounts when they all have the same basic functions. To me its like having accounts on myspace and facebook lol. But of course my opinion doesnt speak for the vast majority.
[url=http://leetscape.com/][img]http://stats.leetscape.com/grey/c-slaye ... Lindon.png[/img][/url][url=http://leetscape.com/][img]http://advlog.leetscape.com/grey/KingLindon.png[/img][/url]
[sig]2012-April-Thieving-1st-KingLindon.jpg[/sig]

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Re: Just out of curiousity......

Post by Tamal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:26 am

FYI, Mumble is quite different from Skype. Skype is fine for small groups of people, but falls apart when more are added (no PTT).

Mumble is designed for gaming, can easily support 20+ people, has PTT and voice activation, separate rooms for varied events… not to mention that the Mumble server is an official KoA voice chat that is supported and paid for by staff and members.

ShadowD3F
RSN: KingLindon

Post by ShadowD3F » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:31 am

Oh i can understand that tamal, but the fact still remains that my comp isnt as impressive as id like it to be, and just like skype will eventually lag me out...so me using mumble wont change that.
[url=http://leetscape.com/][img]http://stats.leetscape.com/grey/c-slaye ... Lindon.png[/img][/url][url=http://leetscape.com/][img]http://advlog.leetscape.com/grey/KingLindon.png[/img][/url]
[sig]2012-April-Thieving-1st-KingLindon.jpg[/sig]

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:17 am

I used to have no end of problems with Mumble and stopped using it completely UNTIL recently I saw there was a new version. I downlaoded it and have no problems what so ever so far! (apart from Poppy kicking me all the time!)

Oobz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Oobz

Post by Oobz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:36 am

I had not tried mumble untill the beginning of this year, I was quite nervous about using it at first, but after downloading it and talking to the clan, I have been made to feel very welcome and comfortable and wish I had tried it before. It has added a whole new dimension to the game for me :)
Image Image

Poppy
Inactive
RSN: Poppy Koc

Post by Poppy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:54 am

ShadowD3F wrote:Personally i dont have mumble considering im already using skype. I don't see the point in having multiple voice chat accounts when they all have the same basic functions. To me its like having accounts on myspace and facebook lol.
Do you only have 1 pair of shoes?

I have multiple voice applications too - I just dont use them at the same time. They are for different people/groups of people in my life. Mumble is funded by the clan and is provided for members to use when playing rs together, as a clan. It enhances the gaming experience and makes many activities much faster, safer and more enjoyable (events, pking, minigames etc).

Of course it is an optional feature of clan life and not everyone has tried it, or likely ever will. Many feel shy or nervous about speaking as it takes the gaming experience into a much more 3 dimensional world. I felt exactly the same initially and was very hesitant at first, but the atmosphere is very welcoming and friendly. The same KoA rules apply in mumble as in the cc and on the forums and although it is more relaxed, everyone is supportive and encouraging of each other. Some members prefer to just listen when they first try it out, as they don't have a mic or because they feel too shy initially. That's fine too - it's a good way to discover we are a friendly bunch without feeling the spotlight is on you too much. You can type to an individual or to a whole room in Mumble as well.

Mumble users can chose to stay in a larger group or go into one of our separate voice 'rooms' with one or more other members, perhaps to do a dungeon together, a penguin tour, or read out quest guides to each other. It is so much quicker than typing!

No-one is ever excluded from activities for not using Mumble, but if you haven't tried it yet, please consider downloading it to see. I can only say that for the most, those who have tried it say they gain much more from the clan experience. :)

beefeater555
RSN: UNCLE LER0Y

Post by beefeater555 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:57 am

Mumble is nothing like Skype in the lag department. There is no way I would ever try to play rs while on Skype and I have just got a new computer recently. The lag it caused on my old computer made playing rs or doing anything else impossible. However, even with less than new computers, mumble should not cause any lag. My old computer (12 years old at that) had no problem playing rs and running mumble. I guess the easiest way to find out is for you to just try it.

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Poppy wrote:I have multiple voice applications too
Being female, are they constantly on transmit?

serame
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Serame

Post by serame » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 pm

I have been meaning to try it out for quite some time, two reasons I haven't yet:
The shy thing..but you make a very good case, Poppy!
I am rarely home by myself with time to play, and I have a teenager who is currently without a computer (gasp!) and has discovered she likes to talk to Mom...and look over my shoulder while I am playing rs.
But I may surprise you all and myself some morning and stop by for a chat.

Poppy
Inactive
RSN: Poppy Koc

Post by Poppy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:18 pm

serame wrote:But I may surprise you all and myself some morning and stop by for a chat.
Please do, Serame! You'd be very welcome :)

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Although I spend most of my RS time in CC, I find it difficult to see the CC text on my laptop screen. The text is small and passes by very quickly when the CC is busy. Therefore, I miss a lot of the CC discussion at these times-- eye strain.

When I use Mumble (albeit infrequently), I don't miss anything (unless someone's microphone isn't working well).
morituri te salutant

DoctorDRAG0N
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: DoctorDRAGON

Post by DoctorDRAG0N » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:08 pm

I love KoA & I love my Mumble crew! You know who you are! :D

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:32 pm

I don't use it much. Would have used it much more but was always on a different voice program to visit with other friends.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

TrixStar
RSN: trixstar

Post by TrixStar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:35 pm

used to now just skype

kingedward20
RSN: noobiest138

Post by kingedward20 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Dr Brad wrote: When I use Mumble (albeit infrequently), I don't miss anything (unless someone's microphone isn't working well).
what ya saying brad?.....lol