Don't Get Hacked! Jagex May Not Return Your Account!

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Signature
RSN: Signature

Don't Get Hacked! Jagex May Not Return Your Account!

Post by Signature » Thu May 15, 2014 3:58 am

Saw this on HLF, quite disgusting if you ask me...

http://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comme ... y_account/
A little backstory(tl;dr at bottom):

I made my account a good 10 years ago now, or even more. I played on it for 6 years myself, untill 2010-2011, where I decided to take a break, I never actually returned to RuneScape but I did stay updated on the new content and even made a new account for 07 ( at this point I had no idea what was going on with my main account ).

In all those years I paid for memberhip, I worked hard to get a few 99s and to be a good player, I found out a week ago someone hacked my account in 2010 and sold this to a chinese website which resold this to someone else, this person has been playing since 2010 on my account, I was shocked to see that my account was maxed out, 120 dungeoneering and such, I decided to send a ticket to customer support regardings this.

After a few mails I had to give up the earliest information I knew regarding my account, after giving Mod Tyrael this he responded with the following:

I paid 5 years for membership, I played RS with alot of real life mates since I was a kid and now someone, who frequently pays for Solomons store and RuneCoins gets to keep my account simply because they pay more for it then me, I was kindly told to make a new account.

I knew Jagex customer support wasn't the best out there, but this is just plain ridiculous, years of works, years of memories are gone because someone bought my account of a goldfarmer.

Is there still a way to get my account back, I was told the "Rightfull creator" will always be returned the account they've made, but thats only when you dont spend 150$ a month on keys, spins or Runecoins.

Im feeling dead and sick from inside now.

Essentially, this guy got his account hacked years ago, which sold it on the RS blackmarket. The buyer maxed the account out, and spent alot of money on the account to Jagex, so Jagex is allowing him to keep the account over the original owner.

Lesson: Don't get hacked, the hacker may be allowed to keep the account. If you do get hacked, please recover it immediately!

VIP Badge
RSN: Robot Heart

Re: Don't Get Hacked! Jagex May Not Return Your Account!

Post by VIP Badge » Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 am

Learned this the hard way, now with JAG your account should be pretty secure unless someone compromises your email address as well.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Thu May 15, 2014 10:21 am

It's a bit odd to have your acct hacked 4 years ago and then to request restoration of the acct now. Oh well. This is a bit of an anomaly. (most will know immediately if their acct was hacked and will try and do something about it)
morituri te salutant

Jax
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Erebos Jax

Post by Jax » Thu May 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Odd guy

Usually when a person takes a break he/she stops the membership, I could understand if he wanted the 'Loyalty Points' but those came June 2011 (3 years ago). In addition 4 years and now he finds out that someone has bought his account from black market, maxed it and bought tones of Solomons Store stuff. I can understand why he wont get his account back.

Lesson here is if you want to keep your account or your taking a break , especially when you're paying for it, pay attention. In other word log in at least once a month.
Qotsisajak
Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.
Tyûkjontû châtsatul nu midwan.
Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha.
Ashajontû kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

Steam: Devilnion
Origin: Holgoma
Anime-Planet: Devilnion

Signature
RSN: Signature

Post by Signature » Thu May 15, 2014 6:09 pm

As much as the original owner was negligent, you also have to look at the fact Jagex is allowing a person who broke a major rule in the game (RWT) to keep the account, and go unpunished for it, simply because he gives them more money. I can't say I have too much sympathy for him, as there's a good chance he may be the one selling the account and trying to recover it now, but just allowing a rule breaker to get away with breaking one of their biggest rules because they buy Solomon items / keys is pretty disgusting.

It's very similar to someone hacking Suomi, who doesn't play anymore, buying 5k runecoins and subsequently getting to now keep the account. That is very wrong.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Thu May 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Agreed. The account should just be removed.
morituri te salutant

Jax
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Erebos Jax

Post by Jax » Thu May 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Agreed with the removing. But just to think that there are people around who pay 4 years for a membership and starts to care now isn't normal either.
Qotsisajak
Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.
Tyûkjontû châtsatul nu midwan.
Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha.
Ashajontû kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

Steam: Devilnion
Origin: Holgoma
Anime-Planet: Devilnion

zerocoollll
RSN: Zero Smurf

Post by zerocoollll » Fri May 16, 2014 3:37 am

I think he is talking about the money he paid before the break. Not to defend jagex or anything but they have no way of knowing if the guy or goldfarmers sold the account. At the very least they should set the warnings to that account to the max or ban it altogether.

It is a strange situation with real life friends not saying hey you where online or making a new account and not even checking in with the first one. Also how can you tell how long someone has been playing on the "hacked" account.

If it was possible jagex could have at least made a new account with the levels he had before the break.