Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Dev Blog - Prestige

Post by Tamal » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Read it here: http://services.runescape.com/m=news/de ... --prestige

or here:
Dev Blog - Prestige

In this Dev Blog, Mod Jack talks about the new Prestige System, which will bring new life to competitive RuneScape levelling and allow high-level players to enjoy the game afresh. Read on to find out more!

Long, long ago, in the mists of time, the Runescape hiscore table was a place where the best players competed daily for the top spot. Then one day the first player reached 200M, and that race ended. Nowadays, no matter how hard you work, you're never going to see that prestigious rank 1 because someone else got there first.

You may also remember a time when a 99 was a rare thing that made you stand out from the crowd. These days there are so many 99s that some players treat 99 as if it's the bare minimum requirement for respect, rather than the achievement it really is.

Prestige is going to change all this. With this update, due to arrive at a Runescape near you some time in November, the hiscore tables will unlock and once again the top spot will be occupied by the player who worked the hardest, not the one who got there first.

But what is Prestige?

It's actually really simple. The Prestige System will allow you to choose any of your current 99s, click a button and reset that skill to level 1. That means you can level it to 99 again. You'd do this because once Prestige goes live, the hiscore table will be sorted firstly by your Prestige level (the number of times you've prestiged the skill), then your current level, then your current XP (i.e. the progress you've made since you last reset the skill).

Here's an example of what the hiscores might look like:

Player Prestige Level XP
Darrrlek 3 2 450
Murderiffic 2 99 26,068,862
Sum of Awe 2 97 20,400,000
Xontax 2 12 4,800
Acceler8or 1 87 8,200,000
Monkey Bait 1 83 5,400,000
TwoTimesTwo 0 99 157,000,000
Ffarquar 0 99 14,000,000

That's not all, though. To really separate the legendary from the merely awesome, the amount of XP you need to level up increases by 100% of the base total for every time you've reset the skill. That means that reaching 99 for the second time takes 26M, reaching 99 for the third time takes 39M, and so on. That increase will be spread across all levels, so it takes two, three, four times as long to reach each individual level as well as to reach 99.

If you do reset a skill, you're not trapped at low level. It would suck if a new quest came out and your Prestige level wasn't high enough yet, or if you just wanted to go bossing for a bit and couldn't. As such, you can turn off Prestige and revert to your previous skill level of 99. While it's switched off, you can't earn XP towards your Prestige level. When you turn it back on, you keep going from whatever Prestige level you reached when you turned it off. You can only make this switch while you're in a bank, and we're considering adding a gold cost to it to make it clear that you're not supposed to be flipping it willy-nilly.

The Overall category of the Top Players hiscore table has an additional restriction. If we sorted it by your total number of resets, everyone would just reset the easier skills a bunch of times. Instead, the Overall table will be topped by whoever has reset all skills the most times. The Overall Top Players table might look something like this:

Player All Skills Total Prestige Total Levels Total XP
Immortalzor 2 57 6993 762,000,000
Twinkage 1 60 8453 889,000,000
Ruminati0n 1 52 6498 492,000,000
Chai Latt3 0 29 4221 328,000,000
XX Nuff XX 0 22 3258 296,000,000
mondo1987 0 0 2365 283,000,000
ar1gato 0 0 1300 5,400,000

There are also some amazing titles, emotes and cosmetic overrides for showing off your Prestige accomplishments in game and on the forums. You'll able to prove which skills you've reset, and how many times you've reset them, in a showy way.

You need to be a member and have 99 in a skill to use the Prestige System, but because it resets your skill level, beyond that everyone is on a level playing field. This makes it a true race from a fair start for all 99s.

We're not forgetting the accomplishments of those who already hit 200M in the old tables, and those who haven't yet reached it. You'll still be able to view the old hiscores on the website, with the same rankings. We store your lifetime XP, which is all XP ever earned in that skill regardless of whether or not you've reset it. You'll still be able to make progress towards 200M in your lifetime XP - which is still the cap - and earn your rank on the old hiscores.

We hope there will be some other positive side effects on the game as well. At the moment, since only the highest level content is relevant to the most dedicated players, this skews the economy towards certain things and away from others. With Prestige, players will be competing at all skill levels making items and areas that haven't been relevant for a long time suddenly of interest again.

We're still ironing out the details of the Prestige system, and we want to know what you think. If you have any thoughts on how the Prestige System should work, ideas on how it should be improved or anything you're worried about, head on over to the forums and let us know.

Mod Jack & Mod Verrah
My jaw dropped when I read this. I'd love to reset Slayer and combat skills and train them up again. In addition, it'll help fill lower level content without requiring new players/accounts.

Thoughts?

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Re: Dev Blog - Prestige

Post by Dr Brad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Yuck! LOL.

Let me expand: One of the benefits of high lvls is generally from the resources you can obtain at high levels or the monster drops. Why would I want to mine tin when I can mine runite, for example? (Agility is an exception.)

I also comment in the Jagex forums that they need a different name for this. Why confuse people with dung prestige?
morituri te salutant

syfyqueen
RSN: Syfyqueen

Post by syfyqueen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:40 pm

WOWZA!! It might be fun although there's definitely some skills I'd never want to reset, lol. I agree with Dr Brad - they need to change the name to something more appropriate. Thanks for sharing this info, Tamal. :D
ImageImage

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Post by Dima » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:10 pm

This is bound to piss off more than a few players. ^^'
I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.

Megacarlos3
RSN: iCarlos

Post by Megacarlos3 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:49 pm

It'll make prices go both up and down :D ! ! ! but they should just make 120 skill :3 idk. this is what i posted on the forums:

ood afternoon to you J-Mod. My opinion on this would be rather nice but strange. Here's an Idea, What about just making all skills to level 120? It still will raise the levels for players who want to level up some more and at end it will give you a nice little cape, just like the Dungeoneering cape with particles coming out form them. There is a guy on youtube with 120 cape emote concept, you guys should look @ them. Well this is my opinion but maybe people would like this instead of prestiging.

Thank you for reading and take this into consideration.
-iCarlos:)

TL;DR - Advance skills to lvl 120 just like dg to get better skill capes or separate highscores since it's not fair with players with a lot of exp to be deranked

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:08 am

Megacarlos3 wrote:... or separate highscores since it's not fair with players with a lot of exp to be deranked
It is separate:
Mod Jack wrote:We're not forgetting the accomplishments of those who already hit 200M in the old tables, and those who haven't yet reached it. You'll still be able to view the old hiscores on the website, with the same rankings.

Jax
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Erebos Jax

Post by Jax » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:56 am

I think I'll love it in the future when I have comp cape and best gear and need a challenge. But right now it has no value for me. :|
Qotsisajak
Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.
Tyûkjontû châtsatul nu midwan.
Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha.
Ashajontû kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

Steam: Devilnion
Origin: Holgoma
Anime-Planet: Devilnion

Fothas
RSN: Fothas

Post by Fothas » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 am

Not totally made my mind up about this, some skills I certainly can't see my self prestiging *cough* Hunter, agility *cough*.

However, dg and farming definitely.
On that note, if anyone has any seeds they want to sell, let me know :)
[center]Runes before god dam f'in doors!
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Fothas][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/red/pose/0/Fothas.png[/img][/url]
[spoiler][sig]2014_01_slayer_1st.png[/sig][/spoiler][/center]

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Post by Dima » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:41 am

I agree with Megacarlos about raising the skills to 120. It seems a more natural and less of a blow to old fashioned players (basically all the high level ones). Plus, that way we get new stuff instead of recycling...
I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.

SnowAngel
Inactive
RSN: SnowAngel

Post by SnowAngel » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:33 am

DeeKay wrote:I agree with Megacarlos about raising the skills to 120. It seems a more natural and less of a blow to old fashioned players (basically all the high level ones). Plus, that way we get new stuff instead of recycling...
^ Yep
*2nd acct - PurpleSnow
Image Image ImageImageImage

Missing Jeff @};- (Magerpainz)

zerocoollll
RSN: Zero Smurf

Post by zerocoollll » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:28 am

Not sure about this update because I am not a maxed player and this seems geared toward them. I never really cared about the high scores but when I do max one day I will most likely just do stuff just to earn money. As for the 120 level raise Jagex did say they would not do that but I would be in favor of it rather than releasing more skills that seem to be like mini games with exp.

As for adding new skills I can't think of anything they could add, I think they just about covered everything that could be a skill.

jc_hammy
Inactive
RSN: Jc Hammy

Post by jc_hammy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:38 am

Prestige is the term used in Call of Duty video games when you reach the top level and have unlocked all the weapons. You can start over and build your way back up. When you log into multi-player games, the name tag for the player would show their rank and level of prestige.

My .02, whatever, they are just looking for more ways to make the game competitive for the high score/max players and keeping them in the game longer. It has crossed my mind several times over the last couple months as I read on here about more folks getting to level 99 or comp capes, etc is what will I do if I ever max? Do I keep playing just to play or do I finally move on? This is a way to keep people playing, plain and simple.

Viz
RSN: Viz

Post by Viz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:44 pm

How the heck is DG going to work because that goes to 120?
[b][color=#FF4000][center]Viz ~ 1,196th to reach 200m Dungeoneering Xp on the 12th August 2013[/center][/color][/b]

[center][sig]2013_Interclan_Viz.png[/sig][/center]

Fothas
RSN: Fothas

Post by Fothas » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:15 pm

@ Viz

As far as I know, each DG prestige will be 200m exp.
[center]Runes before god dam f'in doors!
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Fothas][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/red/pose/0/Fothas.png[/img][/url]
[spoiler][sig]2014_01_slayer_1st.png[/sig][/spoiler][/center]

celegorn
RSN: celegorn

Post by celegorn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Ugh how ridiculous, this is already the longest most boring grinding mmorpg there is
i have sigs turned off