Amatista
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: 08psycho

Re: Runescape Bonds

Post by Amatista » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10 am

dpbum wrote:i like bonds i made my first 20 mil off 3 of em lol
lol..a legal way for ppl with money to gain in game cash..gj jag
same reason why i quit the last mmo i was playing, looks like rs is now going that route too. i retract my previous response to this thread because i didnt think about that as i was dead tired :)

Signature
RSN: Signature

Post by Signature » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:33 am

Guess I'm not going anywhere anytime soon lol.

Oobz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Oobz

Post by Oobz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:48 am

How much did you pay for them Sig?
Image Image

Signature
RSN: Signature

Post by Signature » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Between 5.5m and 5.8m per.

Figured if they go up to 10m+ I can resell them for major profit, but if not by the time I need members, it's free members instead. Win Win

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:00 pm

It appears that there is a lot of misunderstanding on this thread about what bonds actually do for RuneScape. They give an insane amount of power to the players and almost entirely for the health of the game and not directly a money grab for Jagex.

When I return from my "workcation" I'll try to post more extensively on the topic, however for now let me respond to a few quotes:
Fothas wrote:True Jagex gold selling. Never been a fan of RWT and with so many buyable skills all this does is allow people with money irl a legal (not against the rules) way to buy GP.
You cannot buy GP from Jagex. No GP is being injected into the game. You can trade your purchased membership/spins/runecoins for GP, or trade your GP for purchased membership/spins/runecoins from other players only.
Viz wrote:Basically Jagex wants to make more money from you.
Jagex will only make money through increased purchased membership/spins/runecoins and potentially the delta between bond membership/spins/runecoins cost and alternate payment method membership/spins/runecoins cost. For every bond I redeem in membership that's ~$4 less Jagex gets from my recurring credit card membership. Increased membership is not only good for Jagex but good for RuneScape and us.
zerocoollll wrote:jagex will prob control the bonds price compete with whatever the gold farmers are selling gold for
Players control bond prices via supply and demand. Jagex has no controls other than some "anti-merching" mechanisms.
Viz wrote:I think it's a case of Jagex saying "if you cant beat them join them" as this is essentially Jagex rolling out their own gold farming system and hoping people buy their gold instead of other peoples
Except normal players are the "gold farmers" and we're the ones selling the gold, not Jagex. Jagex is merely facilitating it.
Obitus Dator wrote:The main concern should be about people buying levels though. Because you can trade these for frosts/herbs/seeds/ore/wood - anyone with enough cash can now buy 99 in a whole load of skills, without putting the effort in in-game. It's now pay to win.
This will be tempered by supply and demand. As we see right now, we have high supply and low demand. It's a bond-buyers market. It's not very attractive for someone trying to "buy gold".
Oobz wrote:The more I think about this the more I think Jagex are not getting another penny off me. 12-14m gp per month for membership seems pretty easy to do. As long as the price of a bond does not increase too much that is.
I'm thinking the same! I have a feeling the majority of players haven't grasped the benefit of buying bonds yet so we have low demand and high supply. It'll balance out eventually.
Signature wrote:Between 5.5m and 5.8m per.

Figured if they go up to 10m+ I can resell them for major profit, but if not by the time I need members, it's free members instead. Win Win
I've picked up 10 for this exact reason, although I spent a bit more (6.0-6.5m ea in the GE a few days ago).

I'm not a fan of pay-to-win, I quit last year due to being upset at SOF/SGS. Bonds are not the same thing.
Last edited by Tamal on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frobozz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Frobozz

Post by Frobozz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:14 am

Tamal wrote:I'm not a fan of play-to-win
I assume you meant pay-to-win. ;)

This move by Jagex isn't surprising, and I agree with Tamal's assessment. This really benefits veteran players the most. We can now, if we choose, sell off some of our riches legally.

The irony is I've been a paying member, non-stop, since 2005. That works out to $480 revenue for Jagex. I just bought 24 bonds off the GE. I won't be paying a dime for the next year. I make more than 11m a month from casual playing, so I'll still be net positive for gold.

Bonds are currently buying on the GE for 5.3m.

Frobozz the Wizard
Because you have to burn. In order to shine.

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Post by Dima » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey ya know 6m for this thing seems quite decent. Double that and you have a monthly membership. I mean, how hard is it to go and kill a monster that drops a 3-5m item? Hell, ol' Zilly's hilt still goes for 35m (about three months of membership :D).
I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.

Frobozz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Frobozz

Post by Frobozz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 am

Note that the bond market finally stabilized today. It had it's first up day since introduction, moving from 5.8m to 6.1m.

There's an odd contradiction in the value of bonds. The less gold they are worth in game, the more real-world money Jagex makes. If bonds were worth 10m in game, Jagex would only get to sell one to provide 10m wealth. But if the price were to fall to 2.5m, Jagex could make 4 times the real-world money to create that same 10m wealth.

In the long term, 5m to 6m each seems like a reasonable price.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there will likely be a dip in bond prices right after Christmas. I'm guessing a good number of Runescape kids will be getting some RS gold for Christmas in the form of bonds, and they'll have to dump those on the GE to cash them out. That glut of inventory should temporarily drag the price down.
Frobozz the Wizard
Because you have to burn. In order to shine.

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:37 pm

I haven't liked any of the ways to affect game play by use of irl dollars. Of course, the existence of gold farming and botting has always been a problem. I don't think this will change that. Just add to it. Nevertheless, I do not play to compete with other players, but to amuse myself and have a little fun with others I meet online, so it doesn't change much for me. It will probably take me another 5 years to get all 99's, and that is only if they don't introduce too many new skills (though it is hard to imagine what substantive skill could be added). I sort of play my own version of the game, ignoring changes that I don't have time to learn. After all, I only play 5 to 10 hours in a week. That just isn't enough to spend much time integrating new items with old habits. Besides, this is fun, not school. I'll eventually get to pop, when I get some 90+ skills that will make it possible. The new interface will become familiar in a year or two, as I gradually explore it. I still enjoy Runescape, though the evolution of the game and the business behind it seems to be too hasty and not often well-thought-out. We'll see how this pans out.