Runescape 3 this summer

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Zaijal
Inactive
RSN: Zaijal

Re: Runescape 3 this summer

Post by Zaijal » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:04 pm

It won't only be the graphics card you have to worry about but also the processor, and to a small extent your RAM as well. Believe it or not, currently your processor makes the largest performance difference is RS2, assuming you have a semi-decent directX card for your GPU. From a graphical standpoint RS is still years behind leading mmorpgs, but there are still enormous amounts of individual processes going on, just the same as if you were playing a fully modern game.

I am not nearly versed enough in WebGL or HTML5 in order to say if this will be the same for RS3, but certainly currently the processor is a huge deal. I remember this from an older Q&A with the engine team (maybe a year ago or so?) where a lot of people were complaining about lag issues and how to fix them. Heat can also cause a lot of lag for your computers, so better cooling options are always cheap and easily available ways to improve your performance.

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Post by Deep_Pain » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 pm

speaking of heat.. my tower sits on the floor, been slowly getting louder and louder, knew it was dust but been a bit lazy in opening it up and giving it a clean, partly 'cos its never off lol. (about 2 years use)

the dust in my external fans was bad enough.. but god knows how my processor was getting cooled with the dust compacted in the heatsink.

20 mins giving it a good clean .. massive performance improvement .. massive noise improvement.

I guess as it happens slowly over time, you just don't notice how much noisier - loss of performance you have.

I knew it was a bit noisier than it had been (sounded like a small aircraft taking off :P) - didn't remember it was actually almost silent - the same with the performance improvement small loss gradually over time adds up to a big loss over 2 years.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

big thugn
RSN: Dr Melic

Post by big thugn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Cant wait for this update, want to find out if I can run RS3 minecraft and WoW all while watching netflix.
PHD(Googleoligy)

duc_donald
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Duc Donald

Post by duc_donald » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Managed to get on the beta access for the 17th, so should see whether its worth all the hype :)

syfyqueen
RSN: Syfyqueen

Post by syfyqueen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Just got my email saying I'm in for the RS3 Beta starting Wednesday, April 17th, woot!
This was in the email - "We recommend an Intel i5 processor and NVidia 200 series or equivalent to have the best experience."
Thank goodness I already have Intel i7 and NVidia GeForce GTX 660M/version 314.22 on my laptop.
However, that doesn't mean I won't have nasty lag or other issues, lol.... :P
ImageImage

Oobz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Oobz

Post by Oobz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 pm

NDA.png
NDA.png (8.6 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
Taken from thread on RSOF QFC - 333-334-0-64870853
Image Image

Nivaya
RSN: Nivaya

Post by Nivaya » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:49 pm

However, contrarily:

The closed beta is now somewhat live: http://runescape.com/beta

Exercise caution, it's laggy and prone to crashing.

For those who'd prefer the experience of a standalone-style client, instructions are here: http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/s ... 3,64900850
Last edited by Nivaya on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oobz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Oobz

Post by Oobz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks Nivaya. It does make you wonder if the people at Jagex actually communicate with each other.
Image Image

Imp334
Inactive
RSN: Sqwire

Post by Imp334 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Lol, NDA oops!
I don't remember having to check an agree box for any NDA :/
And tbh, I don't see Jagex taking action against someone breaking this unless it is very serious like another phat dupe or something.
Proud Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 am

can't imagine why we would need chrome. html5 is not browser specific

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Post by Deep_Pain » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:59 am

you wont need chrome when html5 is fully supported by all browsers, it's not an official standard as yet, no browser atm has full support for hmtl 5 - Either Chrome just happens to be the only browser at the moment that supports all the features of html5 jagex is using, or they've been designing the new game specifically around the html5 features chrome supports.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Twistedpasta
RSN: Twistedpasta

Post by Twistedpasta » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:57 pm

Firefox is getting more HTML5 support as time goes on. As of right now Chrome is the only browser with full HTML5 support. Should be only a matter of time before firefox has it.
Also, what does everyone think about the size of the RS world? In RS2 it seems fine, due to the limited view. But with RS3's extended view distance you can see just how small the world really is.

Imp334
Inactive
RSN: Sqwire

Post by Imp334 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:34 am

Well hopefully, all major browsers get full HTML5 support before long.
I noticed that too pasta, but I think that may have been a result of what they wanted. Jagex mentioned something about making cities actually looking like cities and not just a few houses with a couple people. My quick look at the beta gave me that impression, but like you said, it also makes distances seem shorter. I don't think lore-wise taverly is supposed to be within viewing distance of falador.
Proud Owner of the Quest Point Cape

duc_donald
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Duc Donald

Post by duc_donald » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 am

I have noticed I sometimes try to view Youtube videos that will only play in Chrome - due to HTML5 encoding.

I have given up on the beta for a bit. Too laggy and TBH I cannot see a huge improvement.

Is it just me who wants to be able to look up? Or am i just missing a trick?

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Wed May 08, 2013 1:07 pm

morituri te salutant