Dragon boot economics?

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Dragon boot economics?

Post by Dr Brad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Not too long ago, you could consistently sell dragon boots for approx 400k gp. Now, they hover between 75-100k gp. Why is this? The only better boot is the steadfast boot for 40m gp, which I assume is a bit pricey for the average RSer.
morituri te salutant

Rissa
RSN: Rissa

Re: Dragon boot economics?

Post by Rissa » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:57 pm

I've got to think it's because of the greater number of high-leveled slayers. Greater supply + same demand = lower prices

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:18 pm

My theory is when free trade returned then the number of dragon boots leaving the game was drastically reduced.

Before free trade: player with d boots was PK'ed and dropped a random drop, effectively destroying that pair of d boots.

After free trade: player with d boots was PK'ed and dropped d boots. PKer puts the boots up on the GE, adding to the supply, driving the price down.

Plausible?

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Yes! Plausible. Thanks.
morituri te salutant

Starwolf
RSN: Starwolf

Post by Starwolf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Tamal wrote:My theory is when free trade returned then the number of dragon boots leaving the game was drastically reduced.

Before free trade: player with d boots was PK'ed and dropped a random drop, effectively destroying that pair of d boots.

After free trade: player with d boots was PK'ed and dropped d boots. PKer puts the boots up on the GE, adding to the supply, driving the price down.

Plausible?
You can use this theory with every other slayer drop.
[img]http://sigs.runeslayer.com/MzSxNrHOtTYy ... arwolf.png[/img][sig]2012-02_Farming_2nd-Starwolf.gif[/sig]

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 pm

I hope this doesn't apply to gardening boots, I have a fair few stashed away still! We all have our vices and I cant resist killing a few gardeners!!!!

Quin
RSN: Quin

Post by Quin » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:33 am

I agree with Tamal. You can see it with every slayer drop since the free trade update. Mauls, addy boots, rune boots, whips, dboots... all were highly priced before update, now worth nothing.

Zaijal
Inactive
RSN: Zaijal

Post by Zaijal » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Tamal hit the nail on the head, it's basically the fact there is no longer a GP dump in the game is causing the supply to rise ever-higher. The most highly affected item in my opinion was the rune boot, which is now very commonly used for pking. The effects however can be seen in literally every single item in-game besides rares. Even Nex armours have plummeted.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Great if you're buying, downer if you're selling...
morituri te salutant

SirDuke17
RSN: MattFearless

Post by SirDuke17 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Three d boot drops on one slayer task I got.

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Post by Deep_Pain » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Definately has something to do with free trade, but I'm not sure it can be entirely down to PK'ing, I think the longer term picture would be gravestones, I think b4 that most arnour weapons held their price fairly consistently since the release of rs2, after gravestones all armour / weapons had a steady downwards curve I believe - something happened during free trade that pushed up their prices - and although I'd agree to an extent that PK'ing plays a part - the amount of PK'ers during free trade dropped drastically - still not recovered, wildy is desolate not just in appearence now.. but again that started happening b4 free trade also.

I think it's probably a mix - gravestones doubling in time around the same time as free trade return.. the pk'er thing, gravestones in general - return of the bots even if in far less numbers availability of certain items has risen with the bots returning - also with return of the bots - price drop in other items that skillers may make or gather.. and maybe less turn over of players.. not sure on runescape growth as of late?

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Sky_Armada
RSN: SkyTeck

Post by Sky_Armada » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Sorry guys, this is what happens when I get the level needed to get once expensive items. I'm 89 slayer now, so dark bows and whip vines are the next to plummet.

Tristabella
RSN: Tristabella

Post by Tristabella » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:39 am

Plus with the graphics update they look like Dorothy's ruby slippers now...I wonder if they'll add a tele to them if we click our heels together 3 times?

degtuks
Inactive
RSN: lithuania84

Post by degtuks » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:11 pm

and im trying so hard to get high slayer lvl, but now its worth nothing :(