Clan Challenges - 28/29 May

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Event Team, Media, Liaison Team

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Clan Challenges - 28/29 May

Post by Dr Brad » Sun May 15, 2011 5:55 pm

I've signed up "Kingdom of Asgarnia" to participate in the upcoming Clan Challenges.

Skilling Challenges: Quick find code: 42-43-295-62728618

Clan Challenge sign up (done): Quick find code: 42-43-989-62728821

When?:
For Europe: 28-29 May; starting at 00:01am BST on the Saturday morning and finishing at 11:59pm BST on the Sunday night.
For North America: 27-29 May, starting at 07:01pm EDT on Friday evening and finishing at 6:59pm EDT on Sunday evening.

NOTE: The Individual Challenge competition is the previous weekend (21/22 May). Quick find code: 42-43-321-62728818

What?:
Hey there,

We've put together a skilling competition made up of different challenges to find the best skillers out there! This is a special invite to you and your clan as we would like you to take part. This competition will be running over two weekends at the end of May. The first week will focus on individual skilling and efficiency while the second week will focus on clans proving their mettle within RuneScape, it isn't all about combat y'know! Some of the main categories across each weekend will include: the best average XP, total XP, the clan with the largest number of players gaining 99's and more!

You will be able to sign up for as many of the challenges as you like so make sure your clan signs up for the individual challenges too and show off your clan pride. As the challenges will be taking place each weekend you will have time to make any necessary preparations. As well as a Hall of Fame that will list those worthy of going down in RuneScape history, individual winners will be rewarded with some signed RuneScape stash and winning clans will be able to design their very own logo to add to the game. Ooooooh!

All you have to do to take part is post in the sign up threads! For more information check out the main challenge thread: 42-43-295-62728618

Hope to see you there!

Mod Kathy
RuneScape Community Team
Only those who are added to the new CC ("Kingdom of Asgarnia") can participate. If you haven't been added to the CC yet, find either Blarny3 (Deb), Poppy Koc, Tamal or me -- in game.

We will compete in the following clan challenges:

1) Best average XP over the weekend. For a player to count they must be in-game for at least 1 hour 5 minutes in one session (login to logout)
2) Highest total XP over the weekend.
3) Most players from a clan who gained 99(s) over the weekend.
4) Most XP gained in the listed skills for the weekend. The listed skills for the Clan Challenges weeked (28-29 May) are Smithing and Mining

The more in the CC who compete, the better our clan scores will be.

More to follow.
Last edited by Dr Brad on Sun May 22, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated information
morituri te salutant

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Re: Clan Challenges - 28/29 May

Post by Dr Brad » Sun May 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Rules
- What to avoid -

To keep things fair there are certain objects and ways to gain XP that you should avoid if you want your in-game time included for this competition.

You must not use any XP enhancing equipment such as Brawling gloves, activity rewards like Stealing Creation tools or others. A list has been included below.

You must only gain XP from skilling. Quest rewards, XP lamps or Distraction and Diversions are not allowed, any session with these XP gains will not be counted.

You must not use:
- Morphic tools from Stealing Creation
- Volitile tools from Stealing Creation
- The Inferno Adze
- Lumberjack set
- Penance Horn from Barbarian Assault
- Runecrafting Tele Tabs from the Great Orb Project
- Locators from Mobilising Armies
- Any type of Brawling gloves
- XP Lamps of any type
- Any Distraction and Diversion (specifically Penguin Hide and Seek, Evil Trees, Shooting Stars, Fish Flingers, Shattered Heart and Balthazar Beaurgard's Big Top Bonanza)
- Varrock armour
- Seers Headband - Extra exp on maples in seers
- Falador Shield - Extra exp on allotment near falador
- Ardougne Cape - Chance of being caught
- Herblore Habitat Juju (Mining, Woodcutting, Fishing)
- Ring of fire
- Cooking gloves
- Flame Gloves
- Crystal Saw
- Juju potions
- Oo'glog Mud bath
- The Beacon Network
- Urns
- Effigies
- Zeal from Soul Wars
- Basically anything that gives you an advantage when skilling. We are keeping this competition as fair as possible.

A few things that you can use:
- Gilded others. [sic] (Ed. Gilded udders? Gilded altars?)
- Normal teletabs (not Great Orb Project).
- Blast Furnace
- Artisan's Workshop
- Dungeoneering points/tokens
- penance gloves
- spottier cape
- boots of lightness
- Familiars
- Boncrusher
- Coal trucks
- Coal bags
- runecrafting pouches
- Summer pies
- Lava Flow Mine
- Pots
Last edited by Dr Brad on Sun May 22, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated information
morituri te salutant

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Sun May 15, 2011 6:07 pm

FAQ
- Find the answers here -

Can I sign up to both the individual challenges and the clan challenges?
Yes although only the clan leader needs to sign up their clan, you wouldn't have to post in both threads (unless you are the leader of course).

When will the Hall of Fame thread go live?
As soon as all of the information has been collected for the challenges. It will depend on how many people take part but it shouldn't be too long after each weekend.

How will you let players know if they've won?
We will be sending in-box messages to the winning skillers and leaders of the winning skilling clans. We will also post up a list of the winners in the 'Prizes' section above.

Can I use skilling items to help with the XP gain?
No, all of the XP gained must be from normal skilling, otherwise those in-game sessions will be discounted!
morituri te salutant

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Sun May 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Notes from the RS Forums:
Q: I assume the clan entries will go by the users registered for that clan ingame? Since you're not asking for a member list like with the Jagex Cup last year.

Just checking before I go and sign my clan up

Jagex Mod A: Yes we will be going by the memberlists in our official database.
Q: How would be able to prevent the use of Advantage Exp Items Such as Lamps, Bands Etc?

A: We have the rules that state what isn't allowed. If a player does use them in their sessions in-game then those sessions will be discounted.
Q: Also is there a minimum required amount of members needed? Because as a individual I could easily get highest average xp during the weekend for both clan and individual contest.

A: Clans should have a minimum of 5 players. A one person clan wouldn't really be a clan! You should aim for the best in the individual challenges though.
Q: I hate to do this, but I truly need an exhaustive list of items and methods that will get someone dq'd (disqualified).

A: You can't be disqualified through using items, it just means those particular sessions where an item was used would be discounted. I've included a list of items that can't be used but it is common sense really, any item that gives a specific boost to XP shouldn't be used.
Each weekend will start at 00:01am BST on the Saturday morning and finish at 11:59pm BST on the Sunday night.
A session is the time from when a player logs in to when they log out. A player can have any number of sessions
As for the challenges, all of them will include every skill except for the 'Listed skills challenge' which will be for those two shown in the sign up thread.
morituri te salutant

Dvdrak
RSN: Dvdrak

Post by Dvdrak » Sun May 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Dr Brad wrote:
Rules
- What to avoid -

You must not use:

- Basically anything that gives you an advantage when skilling. We are keeping this competition as fair as possible.
So, in the interest of fairness one can't use a rune pickaxe because it gives an advantage over a bronze one.... Or one can't mine gold because it gives more XP per ore than tin.... Also all stats should be set to level 1 and stay there because having a higher level gives an advantage.... Plus the clan sizes need to be the same since a larger clan can gain more overall Xp than a smaller one.... All individuals should be forced to do the same skilling method because some are better than others....

In principle the competition sounds fun but just seems flawed to me. Why should most of the tools used for skilling be made void? If an individual has an advantage why shouldn't they be allowed to use it? I can see not be able to save up dozens of effigies or hundreds or urns, but not being able to use Varrock armor or cooking gaunts.... What is the difference between using an inferno adze, lets say, than cutting normal trees verses teaks? Teaks give an advantage over normal trees, is that not unfair to those who cannot cut teaks?

Sounds like Jagex is trying to hard to be "fair."

onezerobin
Inactive
RSN: ulidr

Post by onezerobin » Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks Brad. Few questions

- What about the xp lamps one obtains while skilling? Since they cannot be banked; can they be used for other skills or do they need to be destroyed?
- If the clan size is 100 and only 5 participate, is the average be calculated out of 100 or 5?

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Sun May 15, 2011 11:49 pm

onezerobin wrote:Thanks Brad. Few questions

- What about the xp lamps one obtains while skilling? Since they cannot be banked; can they be used for other skills or do they need to be destroyed?
- If the clan size is 100 and only 5 participate, is the average be calculated out of 100 or 5?
Avi,

It appears ALL skills count for clan challenges 1 & 2. It's only challenge 4 that's limited to two skills (mining & smithing)

As stated above, "those particular sessions where an item was used would be discounted"

If you get an XP lamp during the weekend, I recommend your logging, using the XP lamp, then logging again. Although the XP lamp will be discounted, that's better than an entire session with other skilling XP being discounted.

It's very possible that we will have KoA members that won't be able to participate very much. Presumably, this will factor into our average. That's OK. Let's just try to have fun and do the best we can. :)
morituri te salutant

TrixStar
RSN: trixstar

Post by TrixStar » Mon May 16, 2011 1:11 am

Trust me when jagex holds these they know everything you do. They have these on the HLF and can track how you got every point of exp.

Kaye
RSN: Kayezz

Post by Kaye » Mon May 16, 2011 5:53 am

:D I think this sounds fun, and I should be around to participate :D yay

scootch
RSN: Scootchy

Post by scootch » Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Basic Skilling Sounds good to me.

Darth Kaz2
Inactive
RSN: Darth Kaz2

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 am

Weekends are when I play the least :( But I'll do all I can.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Tue May 17, 2011 12:42 am

Memorial Day weekend too....boo hiss
morituri te salutant

Lord Anwyn
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Zarakrux

Post by Lord Anwyn » Thu May 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Dr Brad wrote: 3) Most players from a clan who gained 99(s) over the weekend.
i.e. get all your skills to 1xp from 99, then you can get a hell load in under a minute or so

fattyinabush
Inactive
RSN: S arahhxx

Post by fattyinabush » Fri May 20, 2011 4:41 pm

Darth Kaz2 wrote:Weekends are when I play the least :( But I'll do all I can.
But you're our bread and butter for most 99s gained!

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Dr Brad » Sun May 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Just added:
We've now made a change due to the number of clans that have signed up. There will be bands based on the number of members in each clan. These will be:
Under 30 members

30 - 69 members
70 - 99 members
100 - 199 members
200+ members
morituri te salutant