Unofficial KoA IRC Channel

Anything to do with the clan - suggestions - democracy - announcements - citadel.

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Rissa
RSN: Rissa

Unofficial KoA IRC Channel

Post by Rissa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm not sure how many of you have ever used Internet Relay Chat (IRC) before, but it's a great resource. It's basically a safe place where we can all discuss amongst ourselves freely without clogging up the limited space of the RS Clan Chat with our babble. I understand that a good few of you have never used it before, so I'm going to give you all a quick rundown of how to download and log in to the IRC chat. I'm a Mac user, and I know at least a handful of the rest of KoA are as well,so this will be a bi-OS guide! Please please please join me, we could have so much fun! :)

EDITED TO MAKE THIS EASIER FOR ALL OPERATING SYSTEMS!
FOR WINDOWS USERS:
Connecting through mIRC

For this you will need mIRC which can be downloaded here. Once you've installed it, do the following:

IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS 7

1) Download this file: http://www.mediafire.com/?5jcafi72plboqtq
2) Run it and simply follow the instructions!

IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS VISTA OR XP
1.) Open mIRC and you'll see a blank page like this:

2.) Go up to file and click on 'select server':

3.) Click on "servers" in the side menu and then click "add server" fill in the
details like so:

4.) Go to the side menu and click on 'connect' and fill in #koa (please fill in your own details here; don't put anything in that you don't want others in the chat/ on the server to see. Your 'Nickname' is how you will appear in the channel, like your username in Runescape):
Now either hit the 'connect to server' button or go back to the side
menu > server and hit 'connect to server' there.

5.) After a few beeps it will come up with a screen like this, just type #koa and you're done! simple and easy!
Skip past the next section to learn how to keep your chosen username safe!

FOR MAC OSX USERS:
Mac users will need the client Colloquy which can be downloaded here. Make sure you choose the correct download for your operating system! After you've downloaded and installed, these are the steps to follow:

1)Download this script: script
2) Double click on the script. It will open in AppleScript editor. Find anything that says "Rissa" and change it to the name you wish others to see. Find where it says "Larissa" and put in your real-life name, or make it "" if you don't want to put in a real name.
3) Hit "Run" at the top. You're done!

FOR USERS OF EITHER OS WHO DON'T WANT TO DOWNLOAD A CLIENT

1) Go here

2) Type in your desired username, and go!

Optional for both operating systems: Registering your nickname prevents people from stealing your identity and using your name.
To register on the server type:

/register yourpass your@email

(This will register you on SeersIRC and make your nickname belong to you. After you've typed the command login to the emails inbox you supplied and read the email from SeersIRC. Please note this is sometimes categorized as 'Junk' and goes to the junk folder. Follow the instructions of the e-mail and verify your nickname. You're now registered. Please note when you return to the server you will need to identify.)

To identify type:

/identify yourpass

(Change yourpass with the password you used when registering, you?ll know be identified and your vhost will show if you?ve been provided with one.)

To change your pass, type:

/ns set password newpasswordhere

(You must be identified to do this. Replace 'newpasswordhere' with the new pass you want. If you change the password your nick will now use that password when identifying . If you have any more problems please contact admin@seersirc.net listing your nickname you registered with.)

The above is taken from SeersIrc.

If you want to go a step further, type /msg NickServ set kill ON and send.
Next time you sign in the IRC, you'll get this message:

-NickServ- This nickname is registered and protected.
If it is yours, you will receive this message

-NickServ- nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise,
-NickServ- please choose a different nick.
-NickServ- If you do not change within one minute, I will change your
nick..

You have to type what it asks unless you want your nickname to be Unknown237483.
Last edited by Rissa on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.

SnowAngel
Inactive
RSN: SnowAngel

Re: Unofficial KoA IRC Channel

Post by SnowAngel » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:30 pm

I used this in another clan I was once in. I'm not sure I see the point of using it for KoA. We have cc, mumble and individual fc's already. I guess I'm just a little confused.

Edit: less confused now, ty :)
*2nd acct - PurpleSnow
Image Image ImageImageImage

Missing Jeff @};- (Magerpainz)

Rissa

Post by Rissa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:53 pm

I have always thought that cc's and fc's felt limiting. You're limited to message length and the chat box can fill up very quickly with a single person's conversation. As a newer member, I've never seen anyone speak of their FCs before except in relationship to a clan trip (dg, PvMing, etc.), so if others have them, it's obviously not advertised. I felt this was a way to make public a place for those of us that don't want to (or can't) speak in mumble to talk freely without the restrictions of CCs or FCs. This is by no means mandatory, it's just something that I've been wanting to do for a long time.

TrixStar
RSN: trixstar

Post by TrixStar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:58 pm

I remember trying this whe I joined KoA. You would have thought I was telling everyone to worship Satan
Last edited by TrixStar on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Rissa,

Any concern that creating additional communication tools could fragment the clan?
morituri te salutant

Rissa

Post by Rissa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:03 pm

I understand that concern, Brad. I feel this could help do the opposite, however. I know there is already some concern among certain members about uncomfortable or off-topic discussion in the CC, which I respect and understand. I feel that if members have somewhere outside of the official clan chat to discuss matters of this type, it will help alleviate some of the discord about what is discussed in the clan chat. I always found IRC to be uniting in my previous clan as it allowed more free discussion about real life topics than the clan chat does, bringing a better sense of reality to clan members.

Rissa

Post by Rissa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:24 pm

I should also mention that this could be a great way for those considering joining the clan to meet some of the members. More people will fall in love with us! :)

In addition, I want to mention that I don't feel this should be used by anyone as a replacement for being in the Clan Chat. I'm on the internet almost all day, but not always on Runescape. However, I enjoy taking part in clan conversation, so IRC is a great way for those of us who are on the internet, but not in Runescape, to continue to feel part of the clan. When I'm logged in to Runescape, I'll take part in both clan chat AND IRC chats, and I would hope everyone in IRC while in RS would do the same.

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:27 pm

I like the idea, im always on the look out for new IRC channels

Rissa

Post by Rissa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:30 pm

shortyp wrote:I like the idea, im always on the look out for new IRC channels
I look forward to seeing you in the IRC channel, Dan! :)

Edit: name change from Mike to Dan :)

Oobz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Oobz

Post by Oobz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Rissa wrote:Edit: name change from Mike to Dan :)
That is the best edit ever :lol:
Image Image

dev
RSN: Hexables

Post by dev » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:00 pm

I generally use it for now just to check prices. Quite often in the CC someone asks "how much are d boots?" or something like that, and a quick "!ge dragon boots" gets me the answer for them fast. Having it for the utilities works well for me, as well as a better system for private messaging, as each message and channel have their own window, as opposed to everything clustered together.
ImageImage

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Question Rissa, is this channel also accessable from swiftkit, or just through mIRC?

dev
RSN: Hexables

Post by dev » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:18 pm

That would be my concern with using SeersIRC too Shorty. Most clans already use SwiftIRC, and even though we won't be contacting clans for wars and stuff, many of our members that come from the clan warring world (like myself) are already primarily on SwiftIRC. They can both be accessed from SwiftKit I believe, but it's a bit of a pain if you want to be using both Swift and Seers.
ImageImage

Rissa

Post by Rissa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:58 pm

I seem to remember it being accessible from swiftkit back when I had a Windows PC. I will check in to it with the Seers admins and let you know the best way to get it done.

Edit: You should have no problem connecting to Seers through swift kit. You can be connected to both the SwiftIRC server as well as Seers, just follow the directions here. I chose Seers because I'm good friends with all of the admins, so it just makes things easier.

This is already completely set up, so if anyone wants to try it out, come on in! I'm lonely in there by myself!

Myztra Roxxs
RSN: Myztra

Post by Myztra Roxxs » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:13 pm

And for people who didn't understand most of the mumbo jumbo in the first post:

1. Click here: http://mibbit.com/?channel=%23koa&serve ... ersirc.net

2. Type your nickname, and click [go].

:)

(Maybe this info can be added to the first post?)
* 2nd accts: Myztra Mini, Myztra HCore
Image Image
Image ImageImage