Should we raise the clan age requirement to 21+ ?

Anything to do with the clan - suggestions - democracy - announcements - citadel.

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Should we raise the clan age requirement to 21+?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:32 pm

yes
43%
no
48%
I don´t know
8%

Total votes: 60

serame
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Serame

Re: Should we raise the clan age requirement to 21+ ?

Post by serame » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Is this issue being raised because of the clan chat discussion? Seems we already dealt with that to a sufficient degree. I vote no. Having a few "immature" members won't bring down the clan. They seem to get the hint eventually and leave.

If we initiate this rule we may eliminate some unpleasant confrontations, but we may also eliminate some great members. Being mature also involves being amenable to correction, which we are all subject to no matter how old we are. Let's give them a chance.

Darth Kaz2
Inactive
RSN: Darth Kaz2

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:36 pm

I agree with Serame. If we maintain the maturity level we want in the clan in both CC and the forums, immature members will naturally leave.

Now that I have seen some discussion on the matter, I will vote no. (But I'll be happy in KOA, no matter the age requirement!) :x

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Kaleviplika wrote:Noone is going to die here or get shot..
Now why am I scared, whats that blindfold for Kal? Stand where you say, over there by the wall? What do you mean a last request? :D

Lawidget
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: La Widget

Post by Lawidget » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Just wondering what clans are those that require a 30+ age limit? How do they verify age?

Laurie

KevinsLunchbox
Inactive
RSN: Kevins a God

Post by KevinsLunchbox » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 pm

This seems rather silly to me. Wanna know what i think of this? Its a witch hunt. Sure some younger people have their moments of immaturity, and yes some have had been dealt with and others have learned their lessons. I don't see how changing rules can improve anything. Ever since we had our small time period of bizarre cc moments, everything has been a witch hunt for "was something offensive?" or "If there is anything offensive, let us know" "Did someone say something offensive?" and don't try to argue other wise. I read the thread when lexie left the clan after visiting for a few days, everything was offensive this and offensive that. "Was someone offensive?". If you want immature people to leave, then tell them, there's no reason to go through all this work and effort to weed out people you don't want in the clan.

We have great members, with a few nuts here and there but I think thats what makes a community so great and successful. There are limits yes, and people need to understand those limits, and I think the admins have been doing a great job establishing those limits and I'm sure people are learning just as well as what those limits are. At the same time, theres been irrational actions taken by the admins but they've done more good than harm. Changing the age limit is just a silly idea, this is an 18+ clan and it should remain and 18+ clan. There are lots of people who are good functioning members of society at 18 and sometimes younger.

I'm just saying, its silly.

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Post by Lady in Ice » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Lawidget wrote:Just wondering what clans are those that require a 30+ age limit? How do they verify age?

Laurie
I believe they do verify the age as we do.. simply by asking a confirmation in the clan application.

There have been many times in KoA when a minor ( under 18 ) has joined us. In many cases you can tell from behaviour and talking of a person if he/she is underage or not.. Even if they lie about their age. This person may even not be offensive or anything.. However, we are still an adult clan.. And the age requirement is there for a reason. This is why we don´t accept people under 18 no matter how nice and mature they are.
In my personal opinion raising the clan age requirement would also help us minimize teenagers joining KoA because if a 16y old sees the requirement of 21 he/she might give a second thought about joining .. Maybe it wouldn´t happen if the age requirement is 18 and someone who is 16 can more easily pretend to be 18.

You might ask why is this so important if the person acts nicely and seems to be mature...
Once again- KoA is an adult clan and always will be and this is what makes us special. There are hundreds of other Rs clans who don´t have the age requirement and would be happy to have those nice people as their members.

Lawidget
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: La Widget

Post by Lawidget » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:04 pm

Thank you for your quick response. Have we been having a lot of underage <18 years old trying to applyHow did you "bust" them? I am just curious.

And for funzzies...Deep, how old were you when you started the adult version of KoA?

Have you though about scheduling a "town hall" meeting on Mumble to discuss this more as a group?

Just ideas!

Laurie

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:52 pm

OH! Can I do the shooting?! :D

I think that I'll vote no in case my 18 year-old son wants to join. On second thought... LOL

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Post by Lady in Ice » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Laurie, I believe Deep was 29.. so he would have met both requirements :lol:

Torri
RSN: Tynset

Post by Torri » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Several things have been addressed lately, and taken way to far over the limit of comfort for myself and others. As Izzi has stated, one discussion on CC inappropriateness has caused a quiteness in CC that has made it an unhappy place for several members (and even some staff). When something is taken to an extreme it causes unrest & unhappiness for all.

More than one time I have seen a person well over 18 be singled out in a situation, while another member of a 'questionable age' was bypassed and overlooked even though they were involved in the incident.

If we are an adult clan, it needs to be decided if we are based on age or maturity. Even Deep himself pointed out that we have never claimed to be a mature clan (On a leaving post made this past week).

Also, for a thread that claims to have no Admin involvement in the decision, there seems to be an awful lot of nitpicking by Admins being done on it in response to members posts.

This clan is meant to be a family atmosphere, a dysfunctional family at times, but a family. If we simply say no to someone because they are 18-21 instead of 21+ there is a chance that we have missed out on a great person & family member.

I think that it is wrong to simply say 'Sorry, You're not old enough', because you've never really gotten to know the person. Each one of us is an individual, and should be allowed to express ourselves as such.

In response to the poll, I can proudly say that I have voted no. Age is simply a number. Members should be taken on a case by case basis and allowed interaction with other clan mates to see how they mix with everyone: if a problem exists, then it should be discussed.
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img43/5832/36320 ... 081185.jpg[/img]

[spoiler][sig]2012-03_Firemaking_1st-Torri.png[/sig][/spoiler]

Draco Ea
RSN: Draco Ea

Post by Draco Ea » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:41 pm

I agree with what Torri, and other nay sayers posted so far.
A family (even dysfunctional ones :p ) need rules, any society or group of indivuals needs some rules. But, too few rules and u get anarchy, too mant and u get a dictatorship. Neither of the two extremes are very appealing to most.
I'm a bit bewildered at what started all of this, seems a bit too much of a coincidence that the admins came first with the cc thread, now this one, but I thought u guys (hmm maybe i should switch to galls as the guy is a bit outnumbered lol, sorry doc) were doing an awesome job to keep things nice and balanced in cc and in forums.

Maybe the recent surge of new members joining and quitting has something to do with it? They are probably just growingpains,we shouldnt let it affect our little crazy family.

I could add a remark concerning matt's desire for wanting ppl to "shoot" on him but seeing the recent uphevel....

. . . :-?

Oh wait u are talking biological age right? #-o
In that case i can change my vote :(|)
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Draco_Ea][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/ice/pose ... aco_Ea.png[/img][/url]

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Post by Hid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:24 pm

I voted yes on this. I think it won't hurt the clan if we miss out on a few 18-20 year olds, on the other side it could hurt the clan if we have too much immature behaviour in the cc. Speaking out of my own experience, of the times I get annoyed by other clan members cause of immaturity (and that's not easy to achieve), it has very often been by those that weren't 21 yet.

Of course there are exceptions of 18 year olds that are very mature. Then again, there can also be very mature 16 year olds, that we miss out on too atm. You got to draw a line somewhere, and I personally would rather have a smaller more mature clan, than a bigger more immature clan.

Seems like the yes-voters are more quiet on this subject. Wish we hear more opinions of them, cause if we only hear the no-voters it tends to get a one-sided discussion.

Oh yeah, and just remember this only goes for future members, and not for members in the clan already.
KoA achievements

blarny3
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: blarny3

Post by blarny3 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm

More than one time I have seen a person well over 18 be singled out in a situation, while another member of a 'questionable age' was bypassed and overlooked even though they were involved in the incident.
Firstly Torri, I think this is a very unfair statement...Admin and Staff respond to all complaints but we are human...so if we do not know we will not act on it.
If we are an adult clan, it needs to be decided if we are based on age or maturity. Even Deep himself pointed out that we have never claimed to be a mature clan (On a leaving post made this past week).
Age has a lot to do with maturity..but I agree not everything, we did have a member who ended up to be 14...but very mature...unfortunately he did not meet requirements and we had to expel him. Deeps post I believe has been misinterpreted we have had recently an influx of clearly immature cc...Deep has not witnessed this as he has not been in cc...Deep is not only the founder but a much respected part of this clan... and I and other admins are confident if he had viewed the whole situations he would agree with our decisions.
Also, for a thread that claims to have no Admin involvement in the decision, there seems to be an awful lot of nitpicking by Admins being done on it in response to members posts.
Nitpicking?? really....we are actually members of this clan too...with an opinion...or are you saying we are not supposed to....not sure I understand this paragraph.
This clan is meant to be a family atmosphere, a dysfunctional family at times, but a family. If we simply say no to someone because they are 18-21 instead of 21+ there is a chance that we have missed out on a great person & family member.
We missed out on a 14 year old with more maturity than I see in some members...if they truly want to be part of Koa they will wait, as he said he would.

I find it very offensive to see you hold the Admin and Staff decisions in such poor light, you are of course entitled to your opinion...but as Admin (knowing what the work load is like behind the scenes) not to mention the abuse we do in fact suffer trying to make sure Koa is a good experience for all..I think your comments are inflammatory and frankly not productive...but you have the right as I do to express your concerns.
ImageImage

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:37 pm

Whatever the outcome, DON'T LET MY SON IN THE CLAN! All hell will break loose then. :P

Torri
RSN: Tynset

Post by Torri » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 pm

With that, I shall be making my quitting post from this clan. Enjoy your one sided government.
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img43/5832/36320 ... 081185.jpg[/img]

[spoiler][sig]2012-03_Firemaking_1st-Torri.png[/sig][/spoiler]