RS Offical forum Rec Thread

Anything to do with the clan - suggestions - democracy - announcements - citadel.

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Ewsentinel
RSN: Ewsentinel

RS Offical forum Rec Thread

Post by Ewsentinel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:07 pm

I was wondering if we have an "official" recruitment thread on RS's official forums. Every clan that I've been in has had a rec thread there and it generated a lot of activity. Except for my last clan, all other clans I've been in had that in addition to the offsite clan site. What's everyone's position on this? Thanks.

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Re: RS Offical forum Rec Thread

Post by Deep_Pain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:39 pm

No, we don't, it's something I've been a bit confused about to be honest. I have pretty much no idea how it works.

I have to agree the extra traffic it would generate would be fantastic.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:15 pm

How the clan before my last clan did it is they used the recruitment thread on RS forums to get members, and then told them the URL in in-game PM chat (you can get around the censor and get the point across). Basically, they used the RS forum rec thread as their front man in recruiting, and used the offsite clan site for managing the clan and socialization.

The only hurdle I can think of is the adult specification. Because you can
Last edited by Ewsentinel on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ewsentinel

Post by Ewsentinel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:28 pm

[quote="Deep_Pain\";p=\"522"]I'm also a bit confused as to why people keep signing up and not applying. Some dont meet level requirements, but theres a good few that have the requirements have spent the time to register, fill out their profiles, with sigs or info, yet not apply, even tho the only difference on the site if people sign up is the ability to see the application forum.

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Deep_Pain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:44 pm

thanks for posting the q on rsof.

I agree the registraion process can be a bit long winded.

very well worded reply to runemonkey btw.

I'm just having a little play around with the registration process.

It is possible to make applications completely independant to registrations, so that a registered account isnt even required to fill in an application, I was just worried about spam.

at the moment it is possible to on acceptance, automatically put someone in a certain group. ie clan member or staff etc...  I'm trying to see if there is a way, or if i can hash together a way of letting people apply without an acccount, then when they are accepted it will create one for them, random pw to email. or they could possibly type the pw in the app and it be hidden from the output. maybe.. if something simular exists I can hash it together, if not it would be beyond my skills.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Deep_Pain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:21 pm

I don't think I can find an automated way of doing it, It could be done manually.

Could remove any reference to having to register first and just point people to the application.

They can apply as guests, if i add an email input, I can add them as a user if application is accepted with a random password sent to their email. Although this would still require them to fill in the profile and agree to terms and conditions when they first log in. (and change pw) the process would be just as long, but it shortens the initial application a bit.

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Deep_Pain » Fri May 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Just had a look at that thread again, people are recruiting on it lol. cheeky buggers.

The last post is interesting, apparently they have "150" adult members, but I can't see how, they have 122 members on the site, and only 1k posts over a much longer time period than we've been on this site and we already have the same posts with far fewer members.

They advertise 2 clans on rsof, one junior one senior, as they cant say adults only then split them i guess into the relevant clan upon application. We could do something simular I guess.

I cant figure out how they find out if people are adults tho, they dont ask on their application form.

altho on their rsof ad they have this under rule 7:

7. We are an Adult clan

it hasn't been locked was posted dec 07.

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Post by Dima » Fri May 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah the RS official has the fundamental problem of posting our website and finding out their age. I suppose regarding the website issue, you could say something like 'Look for our website over fan websites', but it's really on the limit of giving out links, and we might get flattened by Jagex's forum mods. As for making sure they're old enough, I'd say the best way is to carefully track their behaviour. If a person acts maturely enough, his age shouldn't be a factor (as we aren't allowed to ask it officially in any case).
About the clan logo discussed in the second post, I can create one if you've a clear picture in mind about it's size and theme. Visual creativity is one thing I lack, so the better the description the nicer it'll be.
I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.