Site offline - 13th/14th october

Anything to do with the clan - suggestions - democracy - announcements - citadel.

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Site offline - 13th/14th october

Post by Deep_Pain » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Apologies for the site being offline for so long over the 13th/14th of this month.

We had a DoS attack.. probably fluff upsetting people again :P

anyway - the host suspended our site as we were slowing the server down, they STILL haven't put it back online.

So we have moved host.

Sadly it went off while i was at work last night and then at uni, so I wasn't able to deal with it in the quickest fashion.

The server security wasn't compromised so there are no issues of hacking etc.. DoS is a Denial of service attack, it doesn't seem a very complex or heavy attack, the main issue was the host pulling the plug to protect the service level of other users on their server. This should not be an issue in future.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Cally Raven
Site Admin
Site Admin
RSN: Cally Raven

Re: Site offline - 13th/14th october

Post by Cally Raven » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanx Deep :D
Image]

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Post by Dima » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Arr, got bummed up I couldn't kill time here in the office this afternoon...
Though, sure THIS website got attacked and not a bunch of them sitting on an unlucky server/cluster? Surely we can't be that important. o_O
I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:22 pm

*skeptical face*

Sure our forums might have been using more resources than they liked, but was it *really* a DoS?

DoctorDRAG0N
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: DoctorDRAGON

Post by DoctorDRAG0N » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:19 pm

*hides valuables* :-"

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Deep_Pain » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:41 am

Tamal wrote:*skeptical face*

Sure our forums might have been using more resources than they liked, but was it *really* a DoS?
They didn't really give any opinion to what it was, just that we were overloading the server. I'm pretty sure it was an attack.

in 3 periods each of around a minute between 3.15 and 3.25pm, one ip made 18396 access attempts, all to resource intensive links - trying to create an account, log out and in with that account, post on the same topic over and over, do a forum search etc... There's a lot of entries to search through, but as of now I'm fairly certain it never managed to log in or create an account and didn't try logging in as anyone else, it was a denial of service attack rather than an attempt to gain access to anything it shouldnt.

It seems the same ip made a smaller attempt earlier in the day so we have some forum logs of failed log in attempts. but the backup is before the attack so we only have server logs to go off of.

I don't have an issue that they took us offline, although as it was only one ip i'm surprised they didn't auto-ban the ip somewhere along the line, although the host wasnt the best technically, they did have consistently fast servers and very fast customer service response times, I will be sad to lose that speed, although atm the forums seem nice and fast. The only reason i moved is they reactivated my account but koa is still suspended on that account, I wanted to get us online asap. Also I had this server sitting waiting for us to move in the future anyway, so it seemed a good point to do it (it should be far more protected against anything like this where we are now).

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni

Post by Deep_Pain » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:54 am

DeeKay wrote:Arr, got bummed up I couldn't kill time here in the office this afternoon...
Though, sure THIS website got attacked and not a bunch of them sitting on an unlucky server/cluster? Surely we can't be that important. o_O
yeah sadly it was specifically KoA - that may of course just have been random still - someone with a tool for phpBB just randomly attacking sites they find on the web, it does happen.

but yeah all the access attempts were made through our address rather than the server ip and was an attack specific to the software we use.

it wasn't distributed, and seemed aimed at causing server load. it seems something any average joe could run with a quick search of the web. We have put in place some things that should lessen the impact of such an attack, we should be able to survive similar small scale attacks without going offline, however someone dedicated enough with the resources and planning can take down pretty much anything, so we're not immune to large scale attacks, but that would really take someone with a real grudge, time and resources to pull off. As you say, surely we aren't that important.

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:12 am

Wow, I guess that is targeted. When I was monitoring logs we'd get tons of "drive bys" but that many attempts is crazy.

You can ban via IP in a .htaccess, I wonder why they wouldn't help you out.

Oh well, here's hoping the new host is awesome(r)!

Oobz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Oobz

Post by Oobz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks for getting us up and running again Deep :D
Image Image

Cally Raven
Site Admin
Site Admin
RSN: Cally Raven

Post by Cally Raven » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:06 am

I am such a technophobe, I have absolutely no idea about anything that's gone on :-/ :oops:
But thanx for sorting it all out :D
Image]

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:00 am

Did any clannie recently PK someone in the Wildy and yell out, "Long live KoA!"? :lol:
morituri te salutant

SnowAngel
Inactive
RSN: SnowAngel

Post by SnowAngel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks Deep!
*2nd acct - PurpleSnow
Image Image ImageImageImage

Missing Jeff @};- (Magerpainz)

magerpainz
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Magerpainz

Post by magerpainz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Dr Brad wrote:Did any clannie recently PK someone in the Wildy and yell out, "Long live KoA!"? :lol:
I don't think Scootch is quite that tech Savvy?
Image Image Image
Sometimes..standing for what you believe...means standing alone!
"Live your life. Take chances. Be crazy. Don't wait. Right now is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you will ever be again!"
I want a Spartan Woman!

Britta
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Britta

Post by Britta » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 am

Thank you deep for organising new hosting, reinstalling and uploading and of course for backing up much appreciated :)