Skilling events? I need your help

Anything to do with the clan - suggestions - democracy - announcements - citadel.

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Which way would you like the skilling events to be?

1. Skilling together
45%
2. Skilling involving contest
55%
3. Something else ( please post your version )
No votes

Total votes: 20

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Skilling events? I need your help

Post by Lady in Ice » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:49 am

Hi!

Our clan has grown very nicely and I´m glad to see many new and old members in chat and at events.

There are many serious skillers in our clan and I would like continue the skilling events ( I mean here wc-ing, fishing, hunting, agility etc) because not all of us like killing Bandos or Kree´ arra :D

KoA Olympics are almost over now ( having 1 last event this Wednesday) . The games were meant to be for powering some of our skills, for learning new ways how to do things and I hope they pretty much achieved their purpose ( even if I felt like torturing you sometimes :P )Thank you again who participated and made it possible!

Now I could use your help to figure out the best ways for our skilling events. As far as I have thought about it myself- there are 2 ways to do it :

1. Skilling together. We just gather at one spot and do it ( for instance if wc-ing- we gather at Catherby yew trees and just cut and relax fith friends). The problem might be though that there are not enough resources in 1 spot.

2. Skilling involving contest . Quite similar to KoA Olympics, only we could have different categories depending on skill level ( if contest in 1 event) or total levels ( if in form of a championship)

There are also "skillweeks" in another clans but I personally prefer "powerhour" because dedicating a whole week to 1 skill.... This is not for me :P

The event times would be whether Wednesday or Thursday at 4 pm EST/ 8 pm GMT/9 pm UTC

Please, say your opinion and vote in poll! You are allowed to change your vote if changing your mind during discussion.

Thank you in advance!

Kaleviplika

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Re: Skilling events? I need your help

Post by Hid » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:20 pm

I voted for choice nr. 2. I like skilling and I like competition, so that one is perfect for me.

Nr. 1 is good for me too, as long as you can avoid the problem you mentioned like not having enough trees for all to cut. Fishing would be great for such an event, since it doesnt matter how many people are there.

From another clan I heard about challenges being given to two clan members by the event manager. Would be good to know people's goals of course, so it suits them. But if we for example know Kal and Chris both want to focus on ranging next time, the event manager could make a challenge for them, like who makes most range xp in one week.

Another idea might be having skill champions in some skills who will sit on a "hotseat". He can be challenged and has to defend his title. First off you do an event and the person with most xp per hour (or any other method that seems fair) gets to be the skill champion. Once every two weeks (just an example) someone can challenge him for his title. If he gets beaten we have a new champion.

Maybe it is an idea to combine skilling with a bit of "treasure trail" like knowledge. I guess it is called scavenger hunt in english. For example you get a starting assignment like "cut 100 teak logs and bring them to the highest point of varrock". At the highest point of varrock someone will be waiting to give you the next assignment "mine 100 coal and 20 mithril ores, and meet at King Roald". The first person to reach the "finish" has won the event. There is no big preparation time to this, so you need a bit of runescape knowledge and good skills too. Only skills dont get the win though, if you cant find the place you have to go to.

Just some ideas, not really worked out though. And as you notice, all are of competitve nature lol.
KoA achievements

Kaejer
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Kaejer

Post by Kaejer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:49 pm

It might be nice to have some sort of curve for skilling events along the lines of the KoA Olympics. It's a bit unfair to fish against multiple level 99 fishermen(and women) when someone has roughly 70 fishing skill. Something simple, but not very planned out is this:

Exp gained divided by square root of skill level.

Examples:
100,000 / sqrt(99) = X
sqrt(99) = 9.95 (rounded)
X = 10,050 (rounded)

100,000 / sqrt(70) = X
sqrt(70) = 8.37 (rounded)
X = 11,947 (rounded)

100,000 / sqrt(50) = X
sqrt(50) = 7.07 (rounded)
X = 14,144 (rounded)

So for the 99 to win versus a level 70, he or she would need roughly 20% more experience to beat them(120,000 experience).

And for the 99 to win versus a level 50, he or she would need roughly 40% more experience to beat them(140,000 experience).

Finally for the level 70 to win versus a level 50, he or she would need roughly 20% more experience to beat them(120,000 experience).

This only poses a really huge problem when it starts to go lower than 50 skill, because the level 99 would need to get about 100% more experience to beat a level 30. I just figured there are only going to be a small amount of people below level 50, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Plus, it's a really easy calculation that leads to a more fair version of KoA Olympics. However, it does need to be tested to see if higher level skills can actually achieve victory or even close to it.

QueenMaedh
RSN: Queen Maedh

Post by QueenMaedh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:27 pm

I would vote for skilling competition only if there was a level playing field built in. That is to say pitting a level 99 fletcher against a level 60 is not a challenge it is a white wash.

If its not possible then I would just go wtih skiling together as point one makes the "competitive" aspect moot. An hour or two would do me, I hate lengthy repetition!

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Post by Hid » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:58 pm

I think you really need to check the skills what method applies where best. For example fletching. It doesn't matter at all if you have 61 fletching or 99 fletching. The speed is just the same. Same with agility, it barely matters if you have level 74 or 99, when you train at ape atoll, best place in my opinion, cause you stop failing from there on.

It does matter for example for mining, woodcutting, thieving or fishing. I am sure there can be a method to compensate lower levels in these skills.
KoA achievements

Lady in Ice
Inactive

Post by Lady in Ice » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Thanks for your replies so far. I have found many interesting points in them :)

I was actually curious if ppl would prefer competition-based skilling or just plain getting-together-skilling.

Since so far the votes for both ways are the same then I have already started to think how to combine those so that everyone would be happy :)

About the methods:
Kaejer, your idea is very interesting but as Hid pointed out- it depends on skills whether it can be used or not. I´ll think about it.

damnimmart
Inactive

Post by damnimmart » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:03 pm

I like a contest. Gives a reason to train a skill really good, but won't take too long.

and about the level differences:
last fishing contest I was ranked third only 1,5k behind someone with 99 fishing. my fishing is 82.
level differences don't have to mean an unfair race. only when the higher levels have acces to a trainingmethod with significantly better experience.
and that slight advantage when your opponent has a high skill level... oh well, it's only fair because he/she worked hard for the skill.

Tregony
Inactive
RSN: Tregony

Post by Tregony » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:54 pm

Although I'm not much of a skiller I do like the competitive aspect; lol but then I still voted for number 1. Hmmm ... does that make me either a martyr, a masochist or confused?

Kaejer
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Kaejer

Post by Kaejer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:15 pm

hid675 wrote:I think you really need to check the skills what method applies where best. For example fletching. It doesn't matter at all if you have 61 fletching or 99 fletching. The speed is just the same. Same with agility, it barely matters if you have level 74 or 99, when you train at ape atoll, best place in my opinion, cause you stop failing from there on.

It does matter for example for mining, woodcutting, thieving or fishing. I am sure there can be a method to compensate lower levels in these skills.
Yea, I had about 15 minutes to think of something blindly before class :).

I was thinking of all of the skills I like currently, which turn out to be combat and woodcutting/fishing. It definitely wouldn't be the same for each skill, but I'm sure someone in the group can come up with something good to balance things if need be for skilling events.

Could try having minigame events that deal with skills.

beefeater555
RSN: UNCLE LER0Y

Post by beefeater555 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:02 am

I would just like to hang out and chill with my peeps (where there is plenty of resources).
If someone can solve problems with the different time zones and fair play (on the skills where it matters) I would consider the competition.

Lady in Ice
Inactive

Post by Lady in Ice » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:44 am

Thank you all for voting and expressing your opinion.

Since my aim was hosting the skilling events in a way that most of the clan would like to do then after reading your replies and seeing the votes ( and after seeing many times the complaints of some members about an unfair advantage in Olympics :P ) I decided that there will be no certain pattern for skill events.

It means that sometimes it could be a skilling-based minigame, sometimes just plain skilling-together, sometimes a challenging competition. The 1 thing that is 100 % guaranteed ( :D ) that there will be a skilling event every Wednesday at 3 pm EST ( standard time)/ 8 GMT.
Hopefully everyone will enjoy and have fun!!

Kal

mothermary7
Inactive
RSN: mothermary7

Post by mothermary7 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:25 pm

Tere Kal, Maybe sometimes a bit earlier or sometimes a bit later for folks who cannot be available at 3 (8)...ty...mm

kodirodio
Inactive
RSN: Kodirodio

Post by kodirodio » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:27 am

Though the timing of the events makes it impossible for me to attend, I see benefits to doing the varied approach. I have to say though, I am intrigued with the idea of a scavenger hunt. And hangin out is always a great way to keep it interresting, if resources don't become an issue. smithing and fletching would be good for that since you already have resources.